Match reaction: Saints 4 Burnley 3

Glasgow_Saint

Very good going forward and mostly controlled the midfield. In all honestly it told us something we already knew - our back up defenders (Jos especially) are nowhere near good enough.

strange that they've both gone downhill so much so quickly though. There were times last season when they weren't too bad.

strange that they've both gone downhill so much so quickly though. There were times last season when they weren't too bad.

I completely agree. Jos has completely lost it IMO he wouldn't even get into a top Champ team...

We need another CB desperately.

Our reserve CBs are nowhere near good enough. Kelvin looked tiny in goal and got beaten at his near post. Again. Far closer than it need have been. No real atmosphere, too many occasionals and no real 'edge' to the game. Still, a win's a win and you get no extra points for a thrashing. Who do we want next? Anyone at home, for me, so long as they're not as good as Burnley.

A win is a win in the cup but we made bl**dy hard work of it.

Burnley were effectively dead and buried at HT but our defensive lapses let them back in !

Yoshida was ok but Jos was a liability ! Kelvin didn't look very good either !

Ah well, another home tie and we keep learning and moving on...

One thing that is odd.... When Wanyama is fit he sits just in front of the back 4 as a protector. Very rarely ventures forward and disiplined. Its effective

Hes injured but couldnt morgan, davis or cork play a similar role? Thats 21 against now in 9 games

Cant just wait for Boruc and Wanyama to return.... Plan B mopo?

One thing that is odd.... When Wanyama is fit he sits just in front of the back 4 as a protector. Very rarely ventures forward and disiplined. Its effective

Hes injured but couldnt morgan, davis or cork play a similar role? Thats 21 against now in 9 games

Cant just wait for Boruc and Wanyama to return.... Plan B mopo?

He has a shot every game

Cork's no more attacking than Wanyama really, just challenges higher up the pitch sometimes...and Wanyama's better.

He has a shot every game

Cork's no more attacking than Wanyama really, just challenges higher up the pitch sometimes...and Wanyama's better.

Cork defo has license to get forward more and doesnt just sit like Wanyama was.

Mopo may feel that cork, morgan, davis are not fit for that role but he must have other options?

21 against in 9 games is killing us

Cork defo has license to get forward more and doesnt just sit like Wanyama was.

Yeah but...he does sit. Cork is maybe more prone to breaking forward with possession but when we're around their box they both prowl a few yards out offering a simple ball and a body back if the opposition reclaims.

Davis 4

Clyne 8-sorry but he's better than chambers.

Yoshida 4

Hooiveld 2- terrible

Shaw 4-worst I've seen from him.

Morgan 5-doesn't cover like he used to.

Cork 6

Gaston 6-tried hard couple of moments.

Davis 6

Rickie 7-he's class.

Jwp 5-poor.

Subs-j rod 6-mixed bag.

Lallana 8-class above turned game, so impressed

Lallana completely turned game in our favour.

Sitting in West Quay taking stock....first 20 minutes, we were woeful and Burnley looked the Premiership side....Clyne goal a cracker from nowhere, Rickies was a well-taken finish but 2-0 up at ht flattered us.... Second half was best and worst, woeful defending to let them back in to it but we looked a different side when Lallana replaced Ramirez....third goal was odd...I was in the Chapel and thought I heard the whistle during our build up and thought it was our penalty before J-Rod finished it off, great finish from AL for 4th, had view obstructed for their 3rd.....overall exciting Second half but reinforces that Hooiveld and Ramirez have no business here any longer....everything tried to go through the middle but had no one to unlock the door until AL came on....

Davis awful for the 2nd and third. If Gazza had done that he would have been slated.

Jos for the second...wow.

The 2nd Burnley goal is a great illustration of Jos and Yoshidas failings. Jos gets left for dead as you point out. Yoshida? He does his classic disappearing act. Watch him back off, Dejan would have smelt the danger and been over covering for Jos. Then when the goal goes in Yoshida looks over his shoulder. No-one there mate, you should have known that and covered Jos.

He's a fraud of a defender, as I've said before. Winds me right up!

Apart from that some splendid goals from Saints.

It was worth the £20 for entertainment but was generally quite an odd afternoon. I'm very pleased we had Jay Rod, Adam etc on the bench instead of all lads or we would have struggled. Ings had 2 further gilt edge chances for them, hit the post too. Jay Rod could have had a couple more, think we deserved to win ... Just. Hooiveld was awful, it's sad to see him get skinned by championship forwards when he did so much in the past. Now is definitely the time to invest in a new CB and tell Jos enough is enough, although we already knew this. Weirdly Gaston just walked off, leaving us down to 10 men for a couple minutes, not the acts of a great team man, we guessed he was injured? I think we may not see him again. Special mention for the ground staff, pitched was fine despite a torrential hammering.

The 2nd Burnley goal is a great illustration of Jos and Yoshidas failings. Jos gets left for dead as you point out. Yoshida? He does his classic disappearing act. Watch him back off, Dejan would have smelt the danger and been over covering for Jos. Then when the goal goes in Yoshida looks over his shoulder. No-one there mate, you should have known that and covered Jos.

He's a fraud of a defender, as I've said before. Winds me right up!

Apart from that some splendid goals from Saints.

That goal sums up why Jos, Maya and Kelvin should be nowhere near a Premiership team.

Defending terrible and then keeper beaten at his near post.

Had the pleasure (?) of sitting on the opposite side of the ground in amongst a load of day-trippers and within ear shot of The Moose from Talksh*te, as we walked up and our season ticket seats had gone. Also near Dave Merrington and never realised how enormous Adam Blackmore is.

Strange game, no real challenges and therefore plenty of good possession football from both sides.

Vokes and Ings were strong up front and dominated our centre backs. Otherwise I thought we had control.

Too many attacks broke down at Ramirez.

Never a tense game as we looked likely to score every time we attacked, albeit so did Burnley.

Entertaining, an enjoyable afternoon, and maybe that's what the cup is all about.

Just back. Jos needs to be in the same taxi as Fox. He was dreadful. Yoshida was better, although his distribution is not so good. We need an extra CB and my guess is that we will get one in January sales. Kelvin was better than Gassaniga, but not quite sure where he was for the third goal. Need Boruc back ASAP.

The difference when Lallana replaced Ramirez was also very noticeable. Ramirez just tries to do too much and loses the ball.

Agree about the ground staff. It was amazing how good the pitch was given all the rain.