Struggling to get excited by our league campaign

bender

I totally agree with the sentiments about prioritising the cup, yet equally, we are not going to have that busy a fixture list as the season closes out so there is no reason why we cannot give all remaining games a damn good go.

It is a bit odd as a fan seeing the season fizzle out to a certain extent by January, it's the first time in a decade (League 1 -10 season notwithstanding) that we havn't got a key aim in sight in the league. It's never usually dull being a fan of this club!

I meant I don't see a need to do it. I know we certainly did do it in the league cup.

I don't mind using the chance to use young players against weaker opposition. That's not so much not taking it seriously as just giving players a chance to prove themselves. You can see how seriously it's taken in this situation by who is on the bench. If you have Lambert, Lallana etc on the bench ready to help out then it's alright. Away to Sunderland though the team was a bit too weak. Could well have got something anyway, but it was a shame.

Yeah I agree with that. It was just annoying to see such a lackluster performance against sunderland. Especially so because they could get to the final now.

I meant I don't see a need to do it. I know we certainly did do it in the league cup.

I don't mind using the chance to use young players against weaker opposition. That's not so much not taking it seriously as just giving players a chance to prove themselves. You can see how seriously it's taken in this situation by who is on the bench. If you have Lambert, Lallana etc on the bench ready to help out then it's alright. Away to Sunderland though the team was a bit too weak. Could well have got something anyway, but it was a shame.

I know it gets trotted out the we use the younger players, but in reality it has been a chance to use the reserves, with one or two new youngsters given a go too.

This season was always about consolidation and steady improvement IMO. I am loving it, because I can see potential in the side, and I think we can continue to improve with some more signings in the summer (if not January, but probably not). So whilst in itself, this seasons league campaign might not be exciting, I think in the context of where it can help take us in a season or two, it is very exciting.

Agree with some of the comments about the FA Cup though... would very much hope we take it very seriously and go all out to win it.

League consolidation and a strong Cup showing would be an excellent season.

Of course it is. But there are various people (me being one of them) who would have preferred to see us prioritising the league cup in similar fashion. Alas it wasn't to be. Others are glad we didn't do that, which is of course their right, just an approach I disagree with given our prospects for this season.

I respect your view. It would have been nice to have a similar run in the League Cup. IMHO the main reason for going the way we did was that at that point, it was much less clear how the season ahead would unfold. Risking serious injury to crucial players early in the season might have led us to different position in the league...

Whilst it would be a terrific step on our journey from League 1 minus 10 to establish ourselves as a mid table Prem side, it's all a bit boring still. Like others have said I had much more fun being a big fish in a small pond the past few seasons, and if we're never going to attempt to regularly finish top 6 then we have to aim for cups as it's the only success we'll ever see.

also, would I be right in thinking that depending on the other 3 teams we'd only have to reach the semis of the cup to qualify for Europa League?

This is why I never had a position target (8th, top half etc) but a points target. Always has been, still is, 54 points. As far as I'm concerned we need 24 points from the last 17 games. To my mind this would represent a decent improvement on last season. Would then expect further improvement next season.

I know it gets trotted out the we use the younger players, but in reality it has been a chance to use the reserves, with one or two new youngsters given a go too.

this was our team v Sunderland

01 Davis

22 Chambers

13 Fox

38 Reed

03 Yoshida

26 Hooiveld

09 Rodriguez

18 Cork

19 Lee (Ward-Prowse - 57' )

10 Ramírez (Gallagher - 79' )

08 Davis (Lallana - 70' )

Substitutes

02 Clyne

16 Ward-Prowse

20 Lallana

25 Gazzaniga

27 Isgrove

35 Stephens

40 Gallagher

Whilst there were a few youngsters on the bench the only one we blooded in terms of any decent game time was Harrison Reed, Calum Chambers had already made his debut and made several first team appearances. The rest of the team was second string apart from rodriguez. So the excuse that some like to use that we used our young players doesnt wash i'm afraid. We either arrogantly assumed our reserves would beat another premier league side away from home, hoped they would, or weren't interested in the competition.

Edited by Turkish

I'm happy to run a couple of seasons in the shadows while we develop the squad and build up for a push in the future. The Cup would be great, but it's hit and miss and will take chunks out of the team.

Ask yourselves - if you were told we're going to finish 9th this season, would you be happy? I would....how often do we finish in the top half of the prem?! If we continue to build as we are we could start pushing higher. We're not far off Newcastle in terms of quality, and they might be scrapping for Europe this season.

Just my opinion of course.

ll we can expect,if we put out our full strength squad,is a good cup run

unless saints pump in hundred of millions,and then theres still no guarantee,we will not break into the top six

still,this is what everyone wants,the promised land of the premiership

There seems to be this opinion amongst some posters that the only way that we could possibly break into the top 6 would be by spending a hundred million or more on players.

And yet we have players at the club either now or who were here until comparatively recently, who have come up through our academy and who taken together would be worth this hundred or more millions. Add together the value of Bale, Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Shaw, Lallana, Chambers, Ward-Prowse, Clyne etc and you have a pretty decent team without much expenditure if they were all still with us. In the case of Bale, Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain, had they been here now, we would not have had the need to sell them and if any of them went to a huge club like Bale did, then that money would have been in our bank account ready to invest in other top drawer players. The players currently coming through are the ones that will improve us immeasurably at minimum outlay, or swell our coffers if sold on.

But the additional argument that holds water is that regardless of expenditure of multi-millions, a club is still at the end of the day buying players with all of the human frailties that are common to all players. No player is immune to injury or suspension and then it also depends on their mental strength, so that it is not unheard of that the most expensive team of individuals can be beaten by a much less expensively contructed team who play together as a team, the sum of its parts being greater than the whole. A top team can spend a huge amount on a player like Van Persie who is then out for much of the season and another team can discover a prodigy who is bought for a small outlay and who then sets the league on fire.

For these reasons, it is not impossible to break into the top six, Everton have been doing it for years without spending mega-bucks. And the wobbles that Liverpool had these recent few seasons and the wobble that United are currently experiencing, prove that nothing is set in concrete when there are so many factors apart from expenditure that can influence the outcome of a league position.

All the people moaning about their being nothing on offer at the moment are pathetic to be honest. If you can't stand to watch us go in to any game expecting to get a result then you are probably among the thousands who abandoned the club on its decent through the leagues...

You go on about it being much more exciting going for back to back promotions and winning the jpt at wembley, then moan that we achieve our short term goal of reaching the premier league.

Utterly pathetic, I have no interest in glory fans who are only supporting the club when they are winning things... Bunch of jokers. We didn't need you in league 1, and we sure as hell don't want you back here moaning that we aren't winning enough now we are in the upper echelons again.

No issue with anyone that the above doesn't apply to ofc.

When was the last time you supported a Saints team who you felt could possibly 'get something' from every single match in the top division? For me its been 30ish years. yes we were in the top flight for 27 years but for most of them we all had our calculators out by Xmas and would pray there were 3 teams more carp than us in the division.

There was a stat (somewhere on saintsforever) that listed matches won in trhe preceeding 20 years for every club in the football league and we were in the bottom 5, presumably as we had spent all that time in the top division and f;lirted with relegation for most of it.

Not really sure what you were hoping for, this is only our second season back up, a lot of our squad played in league 1/Champ.

I am probably alone but I'm enjoying this season very much

You are most emphatically not alone. There are so many plusses we need to enjoy it while we can. For me the best thing is going away ANYWHERE and knowing we really could get a result. It hasn't happened in the top division since that year we finished second.

The win against WBA was a huge lift. Never take our league status for granted. Never be complacent !

Being 9th is absolutely fantastic ! If we finish 9th I will consider it one of our best ever seasons and champagne time. If we push on we could catch Newcastle and even finish 8th. That would be out of the world.

Even staying up would make me happy.

I love the league but for me, I cannot get enthused about the FA CUP.

I would say i'm gob smacked by some of the negative comments but after seeing some of the negative dross on other threads i have to say i'm not surprised!......This has been an excellent exciting season so far, seeing our youngsters blooded and performing brilliantly. We play exciting pressing football, far better than anything we have seen for years. I have loved the first half of the season.

......Rest the big guns at Sunderland and save them for Yeovil next Saturday.

:lol:

Not sure why that is funny. Down the pub most of my friends and acquaintances think this is a sensible approach. Chance to win something and get to Europe through the cup route.

You don't see the inherent humour in Dan's comment? Must be a barrel of laughs down at your pub. ;)

Europa League:

Given that it is widely accepted as a poisoned chalice, maybe it's Cortese's master plan to avoid it and 'hide' mid-table this season and maybe next until we are truly ready for a genuine and glorious assault on the holy grail of the Champions' League spots?

Europa League:

Given that it is widely accepted as a poisoned chalice, maybe it's Cortese's master plan to avoid it and 'hide' mid-table this season and maybe next until we are truly ready for a genuine and glorious assault on the holy grail of the Champions' League spots?

8yb8z4.jpg

There's a sizeable gap between us and 10th and we're too good to go down a few places and dragged into a relegation battle.

Then you look up and fair enough 8th is within reach. But for me the top seven is taken by the 2 x Manchester teams, 2 x Merseyside teams and 3 x London teams.

Looking at our upcoming fixtures, maybe we can launch an assault on that top 7 but its a big maybe and I really hope we focus on the cup.

:facepalm:

I would say i'm gob smacked by some of the negative comments but after seeing some of the negative dross on other threads i have to say i'm not surprised!......This has been an excellent exciting season so far, seeing our youngsters blooded and performing brilliantly. We play exciting pressing football, far better than anything we have seen for years. I have loved the first half of the season.

Thought we played better or at least more exciting football in the middle part of last season if I am honest.

There's a sizeable gap between us and 10th and we're too good to go down a few places and dragged into a relegation battle.

Then you look up and fair enough 8th is within reach. But for me the top seven is taken by the 2 x Manchester teams, 2 x Merseyside teams and 3 x London teams.

Looking at our upcoming fixtures, maybe we can launch an assault on that top 7 but its a big maybe and I really hope we focus on the cup.

Yeah - really pining for the days when we could worry sick about the results of the other teams around the bottom 4 week in week out. Sad times indeed!

Europa League:

This. Wanyama and Boruc weren't really injured. Their injuries were fabricated to stop us cementing a spot in the top 6.

Same, it was the most enjoyable season I can remember until everyone got injured. We were one of the best three teams in the league and playing a good style, if we can get that back we can push for 6th place and have a very realistic chance of winning the cup. The most important thing this season is that we build up the clubs profile to make it easier to attract better players this summer and to keep the ones we've got. It's just grating that they're not strengthening the one or two remaining positions that would make us a top team when we're so close to it.

Well if we beat Sunderland next week il agree were too good to go down.

I would love a good cup run beat Yeovil and get another home game vs another Championship side will be ideal, however how about QF or SF of the FA CUP and 9th or 8th, that would be amazing, players will want to join a top 10 side plus the extra money for each position is well worth fighting for.

It does indeed look like we are stuck in a rut, destined to finish 8th or 9th, as things stand today.

However, considering where we were 2 months ago, any other team above us could go tittus verticus next week, and have the sort of run we had.

No, I reckon we're about to emerge from a significant dip in form caused primarily by a few key injuries. And the return of those players (Boruc, Wanyama, and Clyne) coincides with a much better run of games in the next two months. I expect a consolidation of our position, at minimum, but possibly a push for seventh or sixth place - if a team or two above us have their own slide.

We're just past the midway point in the season. Anything can happen. Though given the squads above us we'd do well to get above 8th.
Agree with this. 8th place above Newcastle is best I can see. Not bad imo as the football is quality. And maybe there is still more to come. COYR.

I would love a good cup run beat Yeovil and get another home game vs another Championship side will be ideal, however how about QF or SF of the FA CUP and 9th or 8th, that would be amazing, players will want to join a top 10 side plus the extra money for each position is well worth fighting for.

The voice of reason from sammy. Well put, and pretty much exactly how I see this season.

Agree with this. 8th place above Newcastle is best I can see. Not bad imo as the football is quality. And maybe there is still more to come. COYR.

I think people are underestimating how open the league is this season. Apart from Newcastle I can still see us eventually finishing above any of Everton, United or Spurs.

Edited by Saint_clark

I just find it off having semi-finals in January and a wembley final so early in the season. It's such a poor cup. Everyone takes it seriously at the quarters/semis but not much before that. If saints go out early I often miss a round or two and get surprised it's the semis and whose in it, like Bradford last year. Great for Bradford, a great story, but not a great advert for how seriously higher teams were taking it. I do wonder what the motivation is for keeping it.

Bradford fans wouldn't swap it for the World.

No, I reckon we're about to emerge from a significant dip in form caused primarily by a few key injuries. And the return of those players (Boruc, Wanyama, and Clyne) coincides with a much better run of games in the next two months. I expect a consolidation of our position, at minimum, but possibly a push for seventh or sixth place - if a team or two above us have their own slide.

Wasnt that what I wrote ???????

Wtf?

We ARE way too good to go down. Even if we suddenly became utterly crap overnight, we probably only need 4 or 5 points from the remaining 17 games to avoid relegation.

If we make good progress in the cup, I'd hope (expect?) us to potentially rest players from largely irrelevant league games.

I fear that Cortese and Poch just don't rate cup competitions though.

"Struggling to get excited by our league campaign"

Really? The first half of the season was great fun as we bobbled around the top 6 getting rave reviews.

Christmas saw the limitations of our squad cruelly exposed but we should have now done enough to ensure survival and are on track to be crowned as the 'best of the rest' which is brilliant.

Being as we'd have to greatly exceed champs league form to even get to 6th (if Spurs beat us at WHL we'd need to overhaul 13 points in 16 games - forget it) we should grab those 12 odd points needed to seal survival ASAP and then look at blooding in youth and rotating our first XI to keep them 100% fit for cup games.

If we do I think we've got a real fighting chance in the competition. Most fans would be chuffed to bits with 8th and a really good cup run.

If we come 8th or higher then I think that at this stage of the teams development thats like winning the league

Yeh, if we exclude the two Mancs, the two Scouse and the 3 big London clubs we have a fighting chance of being crowned 'Best of the Rest'.

Champions Lge it ain't but it's still a decent return for our second season and should see us tactically avoid the Europa cup too.

When was the last time you supported a Saints team who you felt could possibly 'get something' from every single match in the top division? For me its been 30ish years. yes we were in the top flight for 27 years but for most of them we all had our calculators out by Xmas and would pray there were 3 teams more carp than us in the division.

I am probably alone but I'm enjoying this season very much

No, you're certainly not alone. It's great to be in an era now where I don't approach most games with an underlying sense of dread. Now, I seem to be full of optimism about our short-term and long-term outlook. And that's exciting. Long may it continue!

If being excited means precariously tiptoeing around the trap door of the league all season - sign me up to the beige and horlicks club

It probably means (at least to me) that, looking upwards rather than downwards we are close to the limit of our potential in the league. Finishing 8th or 9th would be a great achievement this season, no doubt. But there's the nagging doubt of how much further we can realistically expect to go. Plenty of people are happy to consider finishing 7th and 8th as a true measure of success and contentment. Others aren't so much,in that finishing 6th and upwards currently seems beyond us and fighting out for 7th and 8th with no tangible reward on offer is a strange thing to get used to.

We are definitely in the twilight zone as far as the Prem is concerned. I'd like to see a real attempt at the Fa cup, and the Jan transfer window treated more like the summer window and buy any prospects with time to gel them for next season. The latter does not look like happening though.

Either way, despite our drop, I am still enjoying this season immensely!

Okay we may well not be in the running for the title etc etc however I don't think I'm alone in enjoying the football we are currently playing.

That and it's exciting to see the academy grads playing often and playing well.

Throw in the fact that our league campaign might result in one or more of ours off to Brazil in the summer, now that's rather exciting!

That and it's exciting to see the academy grads playing often and playing well.

Throw in the fact that our league campaign might result in one or more of ours off to Brazil in the summer, now that's rather exciting!

For me, those are major reasons why this season has been better than any other Premier League season. Many of those we're tepid in the extreme. This current side feels much like Chris Nichol's side of the late 80s with MLT, Shearer, Rod Wallace, Dodd etc all coming through.