Nixon - Surprise departures tweet

Convict Colony

Does anyone honestly think the club would sack them WITHOUT good reason? They're not stupid, they know the potential fall-out of such a decision so I'm sure they believe they have no other option. As much as I too have a huge amount of time for Doddsy as a club stalwart, his current employment at the club should be based on his ability, performance and behaviour and if, for some reason, that has now been called into question then this might well be the right decision.

As usual, we don't know the details (we may never) and, as usual, we have people judging things based on virtually no information. Who said knee-jerk reactions only come after actual football matches eh?

Well said Minty!

I have lifted this from Facebook - no names for obvious reasons but the person speaking is as I understand it, close to JD.

"He has been sacked along with willo & been given no reason but definitely not mis conduct . Other staff are staying & basically should have been the other way round . Players not happy .he is now in the process of sorting the remainder of his contract out but he is looking forward to a new challenge".

Bit strange, obviously some sort of restructuring. I must admit, I didn't follow the academy in the league this year...but I don't think we won it, or won a cup. Maybe, with what we're churning out (shaw/bale/chambo/adam) the ambition within the club is that we should be leading the way results wise too?

Obviously, academy results are often secondary to progress of the individuals...but maybe the club are that short sighted in this! Who knows, doubt we'll even know the full reasons - but seems as if JD is being amicable enough about it.

I have lifted this from Facebook - no names for obvious reasons but the person speaking is as I understand it, close to JD.

"He has been sacked along with willo & been given no reason but definitely not mis conduct . Other staff are staying & basically should have been the other way round . Players not happy .he is now in the process of sorting the remainder of his contract out but he is looking forward to a new challenge".

Does that mean all the other staff should have been sacked? Some kind of disagreement there.

Bit strange, obviously some sort of restructuring. I must admit, I didn't follow the academy in the league this year...but I don't think we won it, or won a cup. Maybe, with what we're churning out (shaw/bale/chambo/adam) the ambition within the club is that we should be leading the way results wise too?

Obviously, academy results are often secondary to progress of the individuals...but maybe the club are that short sighted in this! Who knows, doubt we'll even know the full reasons - but seems as if JD is being amicable enough about it.

The U18s got knocked out of the FA Youth cup by Charlton,fairly earlier round. Not sure we didn't lose 3-1 at home or similar.

Not surprised myself, not a great fan of Dodd, never forgiven him for being so crap when he was co-managing with Gorman. God we were awful.

it would appear that the 2 ex pros and the non ex pro academy staff did not see eye to eye and Uncle Les sided with the non pros

Thanks Duncan interesting post . I'm glad it's not misconduct . So which part of the remaining contract is it with ? Your post is a bit of a tease . But reading between the lines I think I know who your referring to

He is obviously means he is sorting the remainder of his contract as in the payout.

I cannot believe anyone is ever sacked without being given a reason. It may not be the real reason but can you imagine that conversation?

"I'm sorry we're going to have to let you go."

"Oh. Why?"

"I'm not going to tell you."

aside from the (as yet) unrevealed details of reasons for dismissal......of " the said pair "....(to be discussed at a later date, I'm sure).

BUT (surprise, surprise) ..it was quick of Cortese's newshounds to get straight on the phone to Luke Shaw (!)...who was surprised and " gutted " (for the want of a better adjective)...at the news.

.....and somehow his comment has become another reason for unsettling LS and seems to suggest another reason for disatisfaction with SFC.. :x (really playing dirty here).....

aside from the (as yet) unrevealed details of reasons for dismissal......of " the said pair "....(to be discussed at a later date, I'm sure).

BUT (surprise, surprise) ..it was quick of Cortese's newshounds to get straight on the phone to Luke Shaw (!)...who was surprised and " gutted " (for the want of a better adjective)...at the news.

.....and somehow his comment has become another reason for unsettling LS and seems to suggest another reason for disatisfaction with SFC.. :x (really playing dirty here).....

Nobody called Luke Shaw they just looked at his Twitter account and took the words directly from there. Sorry if that doesn't fit in with your 'the media hates us' agenda.

Interesting thought.(?)....

IF we see MP signing a new contract, then one might think he'd be disappionted to see JD /PW leave ?.......or....

....on the other hand.. if he stays......then it might be a condition that they go .. and that he wants to put " his own people " there instead.....?

To be fair though, if some people are to be let go, where some aren't, it is always the case that the other guys should've gone instead...

We got our club back

COYR

Has anyone actually considered the fact that Dodd wasn't very good at his job? Given the level of our young players I can see how they could have expected better results and perhaps Poch wants someone who can better follow his philosophy so these guys are better equipped to step up

So they were not 'sacked' in the way that us normal workers would understand but somplu released from their contracts early. I would hope the club see them right for compensation and try and find a way to exit with honour for all parties. Jason Dodd was a stalwart for the club so deserves this at least.

I am still thinking positively on this one. I believe (hope) the club is trying to structure the club with elite throughout.

The situation with Mauricio has left them in a tricky negotiating position, simply because we don’t have a ready made replacement similar to how Ajax seem to.

In an ideal situation your youth and reserve managers are your next 1st team manager, perhaps the board are preparing for next time

I mean no disrespect to Williams or Dodd but would they realistically be able to step up to the 1st team without impact and without any loss of continuity?

Another tweet from Blackmore

"and the timing of the Williams/Dodd exit was a pr disaster of the highest order at the worst possible time - did the board not think that?"

I like Blackmore and respect his opinion, but I'm not sure why the timing is particularly bad PR, it won't make any difference to anything genuinely important.

The PR considerations should be secondary to doing what needs to be done. Clearly, you don't get rid of two long serving (in football terms) members of staff without a reason. The PR part should be explaining why and that is certainly absent so far. But risking bad PR is not a reason not to do something thought to be necessary. I'm assuming that those in charge are not idiots and felt that they had to act now even though it would cause PR difficulties. Adam Blackmore seems to think they are idiots and either should not have taken action or should have waited for a better moment.

Adam Blackmore has just tweeted

"a number of Saints players feel they can't get answers they want off those in boardroom - that's what they have told me".

If the question is "whats happening about Mopo?" then is it any wonder there is nothing to say to players, staff and supporters? And, to be honest, since when is it the prerogative in any world apart from the loopy loo land of pro football for its employees to demand answers from the owner on anything?

So, a number of staff cannot get the answers they want from the Board. Put another way- the Board are not telling them anything/or what they want to hear. Deary me, next it will be the catering staff leaking that they " cannot get the answers they want" from the Board, or the groundsman. Players are employees ~ like the cleaners accountants ticket office people and receptionists. You go to work and you do your job the way your manager asks you to do it for the money they agreed to pay you. So you hear a rumour your line manager is leaving. So? Get on with doing your job. If you want to leave as well leave but until a rumour is a reality and it might affect you job in some way- positive or negative who knows - are you really going to get funny because the board are not giving you the answers you want to hear?

Lets rewind a little to when Nigel went- or was about to be got rid of. Did the players do this "im not getting answers sh+t??"...and if at that time NC had said " yeah actually im getting this unknown argentinian guy in instead who does not speak english " what affect would that have on players? Exactly.

Its another example of professional footballers thinking they are above normal working people. They are not. They are staff like everyone else, special staff its true, but staff nevertheless. They should stick to doing what their contracts tell them to do at those astronomical wages of theirs or go find another job.

Edited by Giordano
sp+addition

"a number of Saints players feel they can't get answers they want off those in boardroom - that's what they have told me".

Almost " Deck Of Cards " time, because whether you believe it or not, once they DO find out MoPo is leaving, then so will they

And the reason is very simple. The Players have really Bonded with him, and, if HE stays, so will they

Too late now IMHO. Far too much indecisiveness from KL and RK

Any other up and coming Prem team, having a season the we have had would have sorted the Managerial mess out MONTHS ago. End of

If there's no reason given then how could they know it should have been the other way around?

Too late now IMHO. Far too much indecisiveness from KL and RK

Any other up and coming Prem team, having a season the we have had would have sorted the Managerial mess out MONTHS ago. End of

And you know this how? How do you know its not Mopo being indecisive? How do you know he is not leading them along while waiting to see what Spurs offer? What would you do, give him a deadline and then fire him?

If the question is "whats happening about Mopo?" then is it any wonder there is nothing to say to players, staff and supporters? And, to be honest, since when is it the prerogative in any world apart from the loopy loo land of pro football for its employees to demand answers from the owner on anything?

So, a number of staff cannot get the answers they want from the Board. Put another way- the Board are not telling them anything/or what they want to hear. Deary me, next it will be the catering staff leaking that they " cannot get the answers they want" from the Board, or the groundsman. Players are employees ~ like the cleaners accountants ticket office people and receptionists. You go to work and you do your job the way your manager asks you to do it for the money they agreed to pay you. So you hear a rumour your line manager is leaving. So? Get on with doing your job. If you want to leave as well leave but until a rumour is a reality and it might affect you job in some way- positive or negative who knows - are you really going to get funny because the board are not giving you the answers you want to hear?

Lets rewind a little to when Nigel went- or was about to be got rid of. Did the players do this "im not getting answers sh+t??"...and if at that time NC had said " yeah actually im getting this unknown argentinian guy in instead who does not speak english " what affect would that have on players? Exactly.

Its another example of professional footballers thinking they are above normal working people. They are not. They are staff like everyone else, special staff its true, but staff nevertheless. They should stick to doing what their contracts tell them to do at those astronomical wages of theirs or go find another job.

This. Next they will be complaining they did not get a birthday card from Kat

If your contract was coming into final year or near to expiring would you want to find out the clubs intentions for extending it? In any line of work the employee would be in there rights to question the employers intentions should they be in an insecure position!

You know as much as I do Saintrichmond and I know nothing re the indecisiveness of the board just maybe the indeciseveness is else where

I think you are wrongly apportion blame to the board as usual . The board are very professional and as other others have said when there is something to say then they will announce .

We are not in the 70's when strikes were the norm and each party were using the press to further TU /employers propaganda .

Bored stiff at Aberdeen royal infirmary waiting my bone scans .there must be something to cheer me up. It's not this forum at present

If your contract was coming into final year or near to expiring would you want to find out the clubs intentions for extending it? In any line of work the employee would be in there rights to question the employers intentions should they be in an insecure position!

True. And I understand your point - BUT Adam And Luke are not in that position for starters and LR summarised the club position on transfer policy very recently and very clearly so there is no additional clarification of club intentions needed until and unless anything changes- which it has not.

MoPo has also made the transfer policy chain of decision making equally clear. If you can't remember it - or like some others here - choose to pretend it did not happen it's this

I paraphrase " nobody leaves that MoPo is not happy that they leave" - How often does SFC need to repeat this?

NOW......if MoPo leaves is it any wonder that this renders that very public statement ( I'd call it a corporate public promise myself ) null and void- and hence why a definitive answer cannot be given to poor little downtrodden professional footballers in the last year (or 4) of their deals needing reassurance of their insecurities. It's common sense. But then again maybe it's foolish to expect too much of that from professional footballers.

Right, so it's a proper company then, and not a workers Co-operative. Whatever next?

Nobody called Luke Shaw they just looked at his Twitter account and took the words directly from there. Sorry if that doesn't fit in with your 'the media hates us' agenda.

I didn't know about the Twitter comment,

.....but I didn't say the media hates us either.......but I'm willing to buy the suggestion that certain journos are up to something and "someone " is behind these stories.

Right, so it's a proper company then, and not a workers Co-operative. Whatever next?

Use your brain. The players don't know where they stand. Players like Cork and Fonte whose contracts are up next season don't know whats happening with their futures.

We are somewhat rudderless on football matters which for a football club isn't great...

Echo suggested Les Reed was behind the decision. Les Reed hasn't taken too long to take advantage of his profile and responsibilities has he?

Aye, he has benefited the most out of all the upheaval at the club. Could go as far to say that he is the most powerful figure at SMS given his jurisdiction over player recruitment/contracts/coaching staff.

Get the sense that he is not as well respected by the players as the board though.

To be fair though, he didn't used to train with them, so as said previously, they may have been rubbish.

Don't think they would keep their jobs that long if they were 'rubbish'. As others have said, sounds like a personality clash with Hunter and not necessarily a reflection on their coaching skills. Shaw and Lambert haven't shied away from criticising the decision, and I'm sure they are better placed than most on here to judge. More worryingly off-message comments from our players.

To be fair though, he didn't used to train with them, so as said previously, they may have been rubbish.

From BBC Sport breaking sports news page:-

England striker Rickie Lambert says he is shocked Southampton parted company with two coaches who helped him become an international player.

On Tuesday, Jason Dodd and Paul Williams, who held coaching roles with their under-18s, left the Saints.

Lambert, 32, says: "At Bristol Rovers I first had the confidence to be a striker but it was at Southampton that my whole lifestyle changed and a lot of it has to do with Jason Dodd and Paul Williams. It was disappointing to hear the news."