Saints sign Pelle - Official

offix

Would be thrown straight back at them...;)

A player at a club who are obviously above us, but a club who want the player transferred - so makes it a hell of a lot easier.

Yes, but I was more looking at your last sentence on the Saints model for buying players... :)

Yes, but I was more looking at your last sentence on the Saints model for buying players... :)

fair enough.

but in general terms, that has been our model tbh. Rodriguez's, Corks, Mayukas, Wanyamas etc. I think there'll always been the odd 1 or 2 out of that zone, i.e Osvaldo and possibly Pele, but I think the clubs general remit is to secure young players, with the view of probably making a profit in a few years, it pains me to say.

Hence my point above (not answered). Your assumption is that spending big guarantees quality and spending less guarantees average players only. Osvaldo, Gaston, Lovren and Clyne are proof that this is tosh

Not at all but signings like Osvaldo and Ramirez showed a desire to improve to the players and that's why we managed to keep hold of them so long and why they now want out, because were not really looking to improve

Total Dutch Football ‏@TotalDutchFB 46m

More

Graziano Pelle transfer is all agreed - just personal talks now #Feyenoord to #Southampton for €8m #saintsfc (VI.nl)

So, about £6.7m , that looks pretty good to me.

Think we should try doing a bit more business with those nice people at Feyenoord.

£6-7m? Seems reasonable on recent form - not lived up to expectation earlier in career but, like Rickie, maybe coming to his best later in life. 29 in a couple of weeks.

For his goal record, a bit of a snip. Given that Bony was 12-14m, Alves was £12-13m from the same league.

Why we have just got 3 players wages off our books

Agreed but to replace like for like is going to cost more in wages than the 3 that have left. The three that have left us have gone on improved wages eg LS reported @ £100k + per week etc etc. id doubt if all 3 combined were much more than that.

£6-7m? Seems reasonable on recent form - not lived up to expectation earlier in career but, like Rickie, maybe coming to his best later in life. 29 in a couple of weeks.

Hi, Feyenoord supporter reporting in.

The €8 million euro transferfee is incorrect, it's actually around £8 million + a large amount of bonuses. (so pounds, and still on the low side)

The VI site should never be taken as fact, however Pellé is still heading for your club.

I would like to remind some (not all) of your supporters that Feyenoord is still a big historic club with a 50.000 capacity stadium that plays European football.

You should you be very happy you just stole one of their most important players of the last decade.

The two reasons he is moving to your club is because he really wants to play in the Premier League and because of Koeman.

I do really rate your club's great history but I could appreciate just a little bit more respect for the Dutch League and it's players.

Some of you seem to forget you were playing in the Championship only two years ago.

The €8 million euro transferfee is incorrect, it's actually around £8 million + a large amount of bonuses. (so pounds, and still on the low side)

The VI site should never be taken as fact, however Pellé is still heading for your club.

I would like to remind some (not all) of your supporters that Feyenoord is still a big historic club with a 50.000 capacity stadium that plays European football.

You should you be very happy you just stole one of their most important players of the last decade.

The two reasons he is moving to your club is because he really wants to play in the Premier League and because of Koeman.

I do really rate your club's great history but I could appreciate just a little bit more respect for the Dutch League and it's players.

Some of you seem to forget you were playing in the Championship only two years ago.

Good post. Welcome.

Feyen'er, I don't think anyone here has forgotten where we were a few years ago. However I do think you might be right about people's opinion of your league. I suspect that some might see it akin to the Scottish league. personally was well aware of your stadium capacity and average attendance. As for the two reasons you give for Pelle coming, you did leave out money. Money makes the world go round (unfortunately)! While you have European football, we have Sky TV money.

Quite right mate, well said.

All fair comment. How are your clubs finances? my understanding was Feyenoord have had it tough financially the last few years so perhaps we err... stole one of your players because your club needs the money?

We've certainly got a few f*ckwits on here that'll say anything to provoke a response but generally I'd say most respect the Dutch League but, and it's not all great, the obscene money sloshing around in the English Premier League 'should' make it a stronger league.

Having said that, the downside is English stadiums are sterile places these days (that must come as a shock to many foreign imports - cushioned by the wages of course!) and with average ticket prices between €45-€70, pricing out many genuine supporters.It's not exactly done our national side much good either.

And I would think most will respect the size and stature of Feyenord as a club, even with money available, £10m is a big outlay on a 29 year old.

For an unbiased opinion, how do you rate Tadic?

Thank you for the insight pal!

Do you think Pelle is likely to bang the goals in over here?

Apologies if it looks like we are disrespecting your league. Just look at the way the national team has played and you can see that the players must be up to standard! There has been a history of Dutch strikers being very hit and miss in the premier league mind and I would suggest that is where some of our doubts about imports from the Dutch league come from.

Feyen'er, I don't think anyone here has forgotten where we were a few years ago. However I do think you might be right about people's opinion of your league. I suspect that some might see it akin to the Scottish league. personally was well aware of your stadium capacity and average attendance. As for the two reasons you give for Pelle coming, you did leave out money. Money makes the world go round (unfortunately)! While you have European football, we have Sky TV money.

Ha, you are right, money is also a factor.

However, Pellé rejected 75k p/w from an Arabic club and continued at Feyenoord, so it's not the most important one for sure.

All fair comment. How are your clubs finances? my understanding was Feyenoord have had it tough financially the last few years so perhaps we err... stole one of your players because your club needs the money?

We have indeed been plagued by debt for the past 10 years due to heavy mismanagement, but on the way back with a 2nd, 3rd and 2nd place in the league for the last 3 years.

However, after very recently selling off Bruno Martins Indo to FC Porto for €8.5 million, we are now officially debt free and able to spend some decent transfer money and no need to sell players.

Of course, as mentioned above, we can never beat the Premier League TV money, which is has gotten so ridiculous now that a newly promoted Championship team recieves more TV money then Feyenoords entire financial balance.

We've certainly got a few f*ckwits on here that'll say anything to provoke a response but generally I'd say most respect the Dutch League but, and it's not all great, the obscene money sloshing around in the English Premier League 'should' make it a stronger league.

Having said that, the downside is English stadiums are sterile places these days (that must come as a shock to many foreign imports - cushioned by the wages of course!) and with average ticket prices between €45-€70, pricing out many genuine supporters.It's not exactly done our national side much good either.

And I would think most will respect the size and stature of Feyenord as a club, even with money available, £10m is a big outlay on a 29 year old.

For an unbiased opinion, how do you rate Tadic?

Oh, I defenitely agree that the PL is the greater league, by a long shot.

We used to be able to compete, but the difference in TV-money has indeed made it impossible.

The most overlooked factor however, are clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City that have started poaching our 14/15 year old supertalents, offering their parents jobs and the kids salaries of up to 40k p/w in salary.

Mostly because of that, it has become pretty much impossible for us to ever compete at the highest level again.

Tadic is a quality player who has it in him to become one of the best. His best quality aside from his great technique is his consistency.

I'm not a Twente fan, so I'm happy he's leaving. The guy was by far their most important and reliable player.

However, I also expected Ruiz to become big for Fulham, and that has backfired.

Thank you for the insight pal!

Do you think Pelle is likely to bang the goals in over here?

Apologies if it looks like we are disrespecting your league. Just look at the way the national team has played and you can see that the players must be up to standard! There has been a history of Dutch strikers being very hit and miss in the premier league mind and I would suggest that is where some of our doubts about imports from the Dutch league come from.

No worries!

I can completely understand why some fans are a bit reserved on Pelle because of the failures of Altidore. (I expected him to fail, he's a rather limited player)

However, Pelle and Altidore are however completely different players, the only thing they share is physique.

The difference is that Pelle makes other players play better due to his excellent link up play, intelligence and aerial threat.

He also boasts an incredible technique for his size and is a very confident finisher wiith both head and feet.

I don't think you can find a better striker anywhere for the price of £8 million.

This bloke articulated what a lot of people have been thinking for ages.

fancy becoming a regular poster? Bring some sort of normality to proceedings

The most overlooked factor however, are clubs like Chelsea and Manchester City that have started poaching our 14/15 year old supertalents, offering their parents jobs and the kids salaries of up to 40k p/w in salary.

Mostly because of that, it has become pretty much impossible for us to ever compete at the highest level again.

Just quoting myself because I wanted to add something to this, and I cant find the edit button.

You guys know that young Stefan de Vrij and Bruno Martins Indi that are currently bossing the Dutch team in the quarter finals?

Because Chelsea and Manchester City stole our best defensive talents, Karim Rekik, Nathan Ake and Jeffrey Bruma at the age of 16, Bruno Martins Indi and Stefan de Vrij were forced into the line up, originally considered second rate talents. Had City and Chelsea never showed up, de Vrij and Indi would never have played, and we would probably not be in this position at the world cup. So I guess I should thank them, while Bruma and Rekik and Ake had their first 4 important football years thrown away. I guess the money was worth it.

Just quoting myself because I wanted to add something to this, and I cant find the edit button.

You guys know that young Stefan de Vrij and Bruno Martins Indi that are currently bossing the Dutch team in the quarter finals?

Because Chelsea and Manchester City stole our best defensive talents, Karim Rekik, Nathan Ake and Jeffrey Bruma at the age of 16, Bruno Martins Indi and Stefan de Vrij were forced into the line up, originally considered second rate talents. Had City and Chelsea never showed up, de Vrij and Indi would never have played, and we would probably not be in this position at the world cup. So I guess I should thank them, while Bruma and Rekik and Ake had their first 4 important football years thrown away. I guess the money was worth it.

Hi Feyenoorder,

Pay your £5 and you can edit whenever you like! Welcome to the forum.

Spot on. The way the big clubs are buying up young talent and not playing them is scandalous.

Well said!!

Ha, you are right, money is also a factor.

However, Pellé rejected 75k p/w from an Arabic club and continued at Feyenoord, so it's not the most important one for sure.

We have indeed been plagued by debt for the past 10 years due to heavy mismanagement, but on the way back with a 2nd, 3rd and 2nd place in the league for the last 3 years.

However, after very recently selling off Bruno Martins Indo to FC Porto for €8.5 million, we are now officially debt free and able to spend some decent transfer money and no need to sell players.

Of course, as mentioned above, we can never beat the Premier League TV money, which is has gotten so ridiculous now that a newly promoted Championship team recieves more TV money then Feyenoords entire financial balance.

Oh, I defenitely agree that the PL is the greater league, by a long shot.

We used to be able to compete, but the difference in TV-money has indeed made it impossible.

Tadic is a quality player who has it in him to become one of the best. His best quality aside from his great technique is his consistency.

I'm not a Twente fan, so I'm happy he's leaving. The guy was by far their most important and reliable player.

However, I also expected Ruiz to become big for Fulham, and that has backfired.

No worries!

I can completely understand why some fans are a bit reserved on Pelle because of the failures of Altidore. (I expected him to fail, he's a rather limited player)

However, Pelle and Altidore are however completely different players, the only thing they share is physique.

The difference is that Pelle makes other players play better due to his excellent link up play, intelligence and aerial threat.

He also boasts an incredible technique for his size and is a very confident finisher wiith both head and feet.

I don't think you can find a better striker anywhere for the price of £8 million.

Welcome Feyenoorder, and many thanks for your input.

The bit I have put in bold is especially nice to hear. I was expecting Pelle to be more Andy Carrol than Ricky Lambert; but this would indicate otherwise.

Your comments on Tadic are also a positive sign.

And, I agree that it is a shame that rich clubs hoover up young talent effectively stopping, or slowing, their development. That is why I was desperately hoping Shaw would stay with us for at least one more season.

I like the sound of him! Thanks Feyenoorder, good insight.

This is spot on! To me it proves two points; one going to a 'big' club to earlier tends to stunt their career or they never actually develope at all.

And the second being, The youth players considered not as good might actually be just as good or even better, they just need the oppertunity to play games. Unfortunately the players hoovered up by the likes of Chelsea and Man City will never get a chance.

Welcome Feyenoorder and thanks for the very interesting insights.

Really impressed by De Vrij and particularly Martins Indi in the WC - You must be real chuffed with how they have represented Feyenoord on a world stage.

There have been one or two very tenuous rumours of us bidding for Kongolo - Do you think these rumours have foundation at all?

Update: There seems to be an issue in negotiations.

Feyenoord seem set on the very minimum of £8 million, where Southampton claim to not want to spend any cent more then €8 million, due to Pelle's age (almost 29) and the fact he has no sell-on value.

They seem to use Pelle to force a move, as he did not show up for a secondary Feyenoord event yesterday. (Could of course be completely by his own accord)

He does still show up in training. Feyenoord's TD is known for being a very harsh negotiator, so I'm confused why Southampton seems to be playing hardball. He will not be going for any less then the £8 mill.

Update: There seems to be an issue in negotiations.

Feyenoord seem set on the very minimum of £8 million, where Southampton claim to not want to spend any cent more then €8 million, due to Pelle's age (almost 29) and the fact he has no sell-on value.

They seem to use Pelle to force a move, as he did not show up for a secondary Feyenoord event yesterday. (Could of course be completely by his own accord)

He does still show up in training. Feyenoord's TD is known for being a very harsh negotiator, so I'm confused why Southampton seems to be playing hardball. He will not be going for any less then the £8 mill.

Sounds familiar. Odd to be on the other side. Still don't agree with player tactics.

All these style of negotiations are standard practice in any multi million pound deal really. Hence the reason things are done over an extended period of time. In fact, a few weeks to negotiate an 8m Euro or pound business deal is virtually unheard of in any business other than sport.

Cheers for the update Feyenoorder.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Sounds familiar. Odd to be on the other side. Still don't agree with player tactics.

Agree very disappointing if true, I think 8m is a lot for an unproven 29 year old so if he's not coming for that or less we should look elsewhere. Would rather we went for an up and coming player if we are gambling big bucks.