Southampton supporters need a reality check, says Kevin Davies

Saint-Armstrong

There's more to it than that though, isn't there? This isn't just about us being little old Saints. The level of unrest is almost unprecedented, and there are clearly issues at the club. The idea that all of this stuff that's happening is completely out of our control is simply not true.

The Board must be getting rattled

They are wheeling out Ex Players to stand up for them

More Bullsh*t from the (Non ) corridors of power

Look we may not be in a very comfortable place right now, but how and why the hell would the current board wheel out an ex-player who left us over 10 years ago, and never even met the current owners, come forward and do their bidding!

There's more to it than that though, isn't there? This isn't just about us being little old Saints. The level of unrest is almost unprecedented, and there are clearly issues at the club. The idea that all of this stuff that's happening is completely out of our control is simply not true.

I'd agree if all our players were desperate to go to teams like stoke,WHU or burnley but every single player, so far, has gone to a bigger club with CL football and the ability to pay more wages. We built a good team but we can't afford to pay the wages or offer the European football required to keep it to keep together.

The Board must be getting rattled

They are wheeling out Ex Players to stand up for them

More Bullsh*t from the (Non ) corridors of power

There's this poster I know, his name is Pap - you should look him up sometime, probably be able to 'chew the fat' for days.....

Judging by RK's tweet he's looking to be fairly relaxed about it all which makes me think he's not entirely getting the mood of the fans or it's a coping mechanism

Maybe he walked into the situation with his eyes open? At Feynoord he was expected to use youth players he also expected to lose his best players if bigger clubs came calling....probably one of the reasons the club thought he was the right man for the job at saints. Like he said after the Bournemouth game we aren't Man city maybe he just understands football and our place in the food chain better than the fans.

To me, there are so many mixed messages that it isn't even worth trying to understand what is going on. We flog everyone, yet we are about to splash out £50m or so newspaper articles say.

We flog everyone who wants to go and buy replacements who want to be here. Makes sense to me.

The same life-sapping clichés as the Beattie interview, albeit taking a different position.

Nothing sums up TalkSport's approach to discount bin pundits than yesterday's interview with Mark Wright. Was brought on to discuss what Liverpool could expect from Lovren, though as Wright pointed out he had never seen him play.

I'd agree if all our players were desperate to go to teams like stoke,WHU or burnley but every single player, so far, has gone to a bigger club with CL football and the ability to pay more wages. We built a good team but we can't afford to pay the wages or offer the European football required to keep it to keep together.

Except that your explanation doesn't explain the transfers of Chambers or Lambert.

Not sure KD is really up to speed on the "politics" of what has happened in the last 6 months.

This. What does Kevin Davies know about what the board is doing? Seriously, it really is some kind of joke when we are told things are OK because a Player who played for us 11 years ago says the Board knows what they are doing. But all the happy clappers pounce on it and lap it up.

We flog everyone who wants to go and buy replacements who want to be here. Makes sense to me.

makes total sense. There isn't anything more to it than that. No huge debt, no dissatisfied owner, no inept board, just a perfect storm-like situation whereby our players have impressed enough for the big clubs to come in with sizeable bids that are enough for us to accept.

The inability to keep unhappy players from earning bigger bucks elsewhere is not exclusive to Saints, it's just that we have 5 or 6 players at the club at the same time all good enough to play in the champions league. It's ****, it's annoying, it's depressing, but is it avoidable in any way? I'm not so sure.

This. What does Kevin Davies know about what the board is doing? Seriously, it really is some kind of joke when we are told things are OK because a Player who played for us 11 years ago says the Board knows what they are doing. But all the happy clappers pounce on it and lap it up.

he knows **** all, he's just one of their regular ex pros that they interview from time to time whenever there is a story about Bolton, or fat Sam, or Blackburn or whoever else he has played for.

makes total sense. There isn't anything more to it than that. No huge debt, no dissatisfied owner, no inept board, just a perfect storm-like situation whereby our players have impressed enough for the big clubs to come in with sizeable bids that are enough for us to accept.

The inability to keep unhappy players from earning bigger bucks elsewhere is not exclusive to Saints, it's just that we have 5 or 6 players at the club at the same time all good enough to play in the champions league. It's ****, it's annoying, it's depressing, but is it avoidable in any way? I'm not so sure.

Perspective. Cheers Chez.

Chambers?

100% spot on.

Club is in decent shape long term I agree but in terms of excitement and prospects it feels like a very limp way to just accept your fate as a lower half Premier League team and get on with it.

Any club that targets lower half Prem is a potential relegation candidate. West Ham finished 13th last season but were only 7 points above relegated Norwich. Norwich spent much of the season in the second half of the table above the relegation places, but took the drop.

It would be great to keep the team but thinking the club are now going for the sustainability model from now on, so it means player sales.

It's been good to watch the youngster come through and compete at the highest level. It means the conveyor belt will continue to produce top talent as kids will see it as a fantastic opportunity to learn and develop, play PL footy and to then go to a big club who can pay them thousands and offer European football. Maybe one season we'll be able to start keeping them for longer having earn so much and be more competitive because of it!

The one thing about Kevin Davies is that the guy is a true Saint. Despite the years, he loves Saints and follows everything Saints very closely. He is someone I have always had the greatest respect for and it's a real shame there are not more players like him at the club nowadays.

For those doubting his knowledge of Saints I can inform them that one of his closest buddies is Matt Le Tissier. Their friendship goes back to the days when Kevin still played for Saints and Matt was one of his strongest supporters.

the point davies missed is we were told differently by les reed, no star players to go blah blah blah..... all lies

Were we? I thought he said any players sold would be sold in the best interests of the club.............which is open to pretty big interpertation, I would say, and leaves the board pretty much free reign to do what ever they think is in the best interests of the club (which of course might not be what the fans think is in the best interests of the club)

Any club that targets lower half Prem is a potential relegation candidate. West Ham finished 13th last season but were only 7 points above relegated Norwich. Norwich spent much of the season in the second half of the table above the relegation places, but took the drop.

Yep. Agree 100%

Of course he did

From his statement of 25 April

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11172160.Les_Reed_s_Saints_statement_in_full/

"we want to retain the players we’ve got. They are all contracted, they all have existing contracts and we intend to honour those contracts" ... "Our intention is to keep this very good team together and build on it by bringing in players to improve upon it."

"It’s a positive message we want to get out there.

Our fans deserve to understand there is not going to be a fire sale here and we have repeatedly said that ... we want to keep all of our best players here at the club and build on that for the future."

Of course he did

From his statement of 25 April

http://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/11172160.Les_Reed_s_Saints_statement_in_full/

"we want to retain the players we’ve got. They are all contracted, they all have existing contracts and we intend to honour those contracts" ... "Our intention is to keep this very good team together and build on it by bringing in players to improve upon it."

"It’s a positive message we want to get out there.

Our fans deserve to understand there is not going to be a fire sale here and we have repeatedly said that ... we want to keep all of our best players here at the club and build on that for the future."

Well technically he didn't he said "We want to keep" and "our intention". which isn't the same as "We won't sell". The club might have wanted to keep the players the players had other ideas.