Andros Townsend

Yorkshire Saint

It does seem as if we're stepping into the fire by bidding for him.
its all part of a smokescreen IMO. Krueger dug a hole and he has to keep to it unless of course we all of a sudden 'desperately need a player like Townsend, and looked a sensible thing to do' type PR

Did you see how his performance was pulled to pieces by Gullit the other day ? He is not that good I mO

Townsend, 25 matches, 1 goal, 0 assists, 36 shots, 74 crosses

Eriksen, 25 matches, 7 goals, 8 assists, 33 shots, 88 crosses

Epl only...

Eriksen's first season in the epl...

What are we talking about?!?!

I am not saying CE is the next big thing coming out of WHL, but he is a damn good player, been following him close since his Ajax days

If we buy a winger of yet another nationality, fine if he's good, but we may need Paul Whitehouse as an assistant to the manager to help dressing room communications.

As for Morgan, if the club does let him go the price will presumably include the loss of chairman, Ralph Schneiderlinisnotforsale Kruguer.

Scott Sinclair's supposed to be available, would he be a better option?

Or even Micah Richards? Both linked with moves away from Man City. I know it's a completely different position, but RB/CB is an area that needs strengthening still. I wouldn't have thought that wages for those two would be too unreasonable?

If we've still got the likes of Hoiveld and Isgrove on the bench for EPL matches then it really shows the lack of depth on the squad.

No thanks. Exactly the dumb pacey wide man we could do without. Head down, run to the byeline and cross without looking up, or cut inside and shoot without looking for a better option, or beat a man with a heavy touch and lose possession, or try to beat the same man 3 times instead of passing. Has ability but lacks the intelligence to be coached into a proper player IMO.

See Zaha, Redmond, etc etc, skillful but not team players. Anyway, I doubt AT is looking to leave Spurs, and I doubt Spurs are really looking to sell.

No thanks. Exactly the dumb pacey wide man we could do without. Head down, run to the byeline and cross without looking up, or cut inside and shoot without looking for a better option, or beat a man with a heavy touch and lose possession, or try to beat the same man 3 times instead of passing. Has ability but lacks the intelligence to be coached into a proper player IMO.

See Zaha, Redmond, etc etc, skillful but not team players. Anyway, I doubt AT is looking to leave Spurs, and I doubt Spurs are really looking to sell.

Very good summary...He would not be good for us and he would be a complete waste of money!

It's increasingly worrying that we are persevering with this chase of the mediocre Townsend, unless of course it's just to wind them up. When push comes to shove, we have a player they want and on the face of it they have a player we want. And if a player and money swap happens, I expect that Krueger will get it with both barrels from the fans and the media for reneging on his promise that Schneiderlin was not for sale. I'm sure that there are plenty of other decent wingers out there that wouldn't necessitate the sale of Schneiderlin as part of the purchase and that would have the added benefit of not having to deal with Spurs and the odious Levy and his sidekick

It's increasingly worrying that we are persevering with this chase of the mediocre Townsend, unless of course it's just to wind them up. When push comes to shove, we have a player they want and on the face of it they have a player we want. And if a player and money swap happens, I expect that Krueger will get it with both barrels from the fans and the media for reneging on his promise that Schneiderlin was not for sale. I'm sure that there are plenty of other decent wingers out there that wouldn't necessitate the sale of Schneiderlin as part of the purchase and that would have the added benefit of not having to deal with Spurs and the odious Levy and his sidekick

Evidently, it looks to be the only way out of the hole that Krueger got himself into should we actually want to sell Schneiderlin after all, not sure that we do though.

Depends just how pressing Koeman is for a winger I expect. I mean if we were even considering Schletto we must be kind of desperate. Alternatively we could envisage signing a RB and try to push Clyne forward because that might just work as well. Somewhat concerning though that we have nothing available just yet from the academy for the position.

Townsend would be a great addition. Happy on either foot, has pace and goal threat. That said, not sure why Spurs would sell with Lamela still misfiring.

This is what he does not have.

He has scored a grand total of 12 goals in his career, only one of which was for Spurs. It was a screamer and now everyone thinks he is amazing.

Football fans in this country see a pacey player bomb down the wing and they think, "Wow he's good" :spaz:

He's not good. He has absolutey no end product and no footballing intelligence. He's nowhere near as good as Aaron Lennon. Aaron Lennon is better than him!

Aaron Lennon!

Evidently, it looks to be the only way out of the hole that Krueger got himself into should we actually want to sell Schneiderlin after all, not sure that we do though.

Depends just how pressing Koeman is for a winger I expect. I mean if we were even considering Schletto we must be kind of desperate. Alternatively we could envisage signing a RB and try to push Clyne forward because that might just work as well. Somewhat concerning though that we have nothing available just yet from the academy for the position.

You only have to look at the opinions on Townsend here to see how it won't be acceptable as a reason for Krueger breaking his promise about not selling Schneiderlin. Were we ever seriously considering Schelotto, or was he just proposed as a makeweight that Inter wanted shot of? Yes, pushing Clyne further forward is an option, but Regarding whether the academy has an option for RB, then this article suggests that Jack Stevens might be a possibility.

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Torpoint-star-set-Premier-League-breakthrough/story-22787508-detail/story.html

However, we would have to leave it to the manager to decide whether he was ready to make the step up, or whether he would just be cover at the moment.

Or even Micah Richards? Both linked with moves away from Man City. I know it's a completely different position, but RB/CB is an area that needs strengthening still. I wouldn't have thought that wages for those two would be too unreasonable?

If we've still got the likes of Hoiveld and Isgrove on the bench for EPL matches then it really shows the lack of depth on the squad.

Micah Richards has been sidelined at Man City due to his complete inability to follow tactical instructions, I'd want him at Saints if it wasn't for that (and probably his ridiculous wages). Scott Sinclair (wages aside) would be ideal.

Townsed would be a great signing.

For the team selling him. He has an inflated reputation based on playing well for 20 minutes in an England game. He has nothing useful to offer Saints. At 3 or 4 million we wouldn't be losing much but 10 million. I wouldn't pay that for Shane Long and he has so much more to offer.

He has scored a grand total of 12 goals in his career, only one of which was for Spurs. It was a screamer and now everyone thinks he is amazing.

Football fans in this country see a pacey player bomb down the wing and they think, "Wow he's good" :spaz:

He's not good. He has absolutey no end product and no footballing intelligence. He's nowhere near as good as Aaron Lennon. Aaron Lennon is better than him!

Aaron Lennon!

Exactly. This in spades. It's embarrassing that we are being linked. Surely agent talk only?

Scott Sinclair's supposed to be available, would he be a better option?

you won't find a single WBA fan willing to give him any sort of recommendation. Complete and utter waste of money is the likely reply should you ask them about his loan there last season.

Are we being used to help Townsend get a fat new contract from Spurs, or indeed is Townsend being used by Spurs to bring us back to the table regarding Morgan? I suspect either way we won't be able to pin this one down.

Whenever I've seen Townsend on the box (mostly the UEFA cup games) he's looked pretty good. He dribbles well and his pace helps turn defence into attack. He is willing to get to the byline and shoot with either foot (although he's a genuine leftie). He does go up the odd blind alley, but equally he excites. Having said all that I loved Chicken George and Michail Antonio so perhaps I am not to be trusted here as I love a pacey winger that gets me off my seat even if too often I have to sit back down again without seeing an end product.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWdYcH0kCMk

Epl only...

I am not saying CE is the next big thing coming out of WHL, but he is a damn good player, been following him close since his Ajax days

Statistics- we are averaging 30 long shots per goal. Townsend 36 for a goal, top sides 15 per goal. Townsend 74 crosses no assists. Are we really serious or is this a smokescreen or merely winding Spurs up.

I like townsend and he is the level we are at

if we are chucking £12m to get shane Long and the £10-12m for townsend, at our level seems perfectly reasonable

What ridiculous logic.

Perhaps we should have paid £11m for Ross McCormack or £35m for Andy Carroll. Transfer fees this window have been heavily inflated.

If a player performs well then they're worth the money. Townsend has done very little to contribute to Spurs limited success.

Being a smaller club than Spurs, he may well be suited more to our level, but we need a winger who will bring something to the team. Not another Puncheon.

What ridiculous logic.

Perhaps we should have paid £11m for Ross McCormack or £35m for Andy Carroll. Transfer fees this window have been heavily inflated.

If a player performs well then they're worth the money. Townsend has done very little to contribute to Spurs limited success.

Being a smaller club than Spurs, he may well be suited more to our level, but we need a winger who will bring something to the team. Not another Puncheon.

its not our money, so who cares?

I rather hope the irony of our fans lambasting Pompey for this attitude is not lost.

well, it really goes to show at the prices this summer that we never really took liverpool to the cleaners as people believed.

the prices are insane

£10m for towsend not enough

£12m for long

£11m for Ross McCormack

£25m for lallana looks about right when you look at the transfer window for domestic players

jesus, no wonder we have so many imported players. The value dealing within England is hideous

Aaron Lennon!

He has scored at least three goals for Spurs (debut goal at the Lane IIRC, one in the Europa League and one at Villa last season), not that that makes my point but let's get that right. Can't think of any which have been 'screamers' but maybe you can think of another one I've forgotten. Maybe you're thinking of that incredible volley for QPR?

I disagree with what you say about lacking goal-threat. Whenever I see him play he looks dangerous, and his form was really taking off when he unfortunately got injured for Spurs last October and I feel that a full season in a settled team could really see him kick on and probably be a feature in the England squad.

Lennon comparison is a strange one to make. Lennon only really has the capacity to go down the outside which limits his effectiveness as a winger, while Townsend is comfortable taking the defender inside and out - something that I always maintained made Adam Lallana hugely valuable, even when he was at his least popular on 18 months ago. He's got a sweet strike with either foot, can dribble and is direct. I'd be very happy if we managed to get him for £10-15m - his potential is just streets ahead of Long's who we bought for a similar price, and at 24 he has loads of time to fulfill it.

Still, I can't say I've watched extensive footage of the games he's played in the PL for Spurs (maybe you have) but from what I have seen I'd be delighted if we landed him.

He has scored at least three goals for Spurs (debut goal at the Lane IIRC, one in the Europa League and one at Villa last season), not that that makes my point but let's get that right. Can't think of any which have been 'screamers' but maybe you can think of another one I've forgotten. Maybe you're thinking of that incredible volley for QPR?

I disagree with what you say about lacking goal-threat. Whenever I see him play he looks dangerous, and his form was really taking off when he unfortunately got injured for Spurs last October and I feel that a full season in a settled team could really see him kick on and probably be a feature in the England squad.

Lennon comparison is a strange one to make. Lennon only really has the capacity to go down the outside which limits his effectiveness as a winger, while Townsend is comfortable taking the defender inside and out - something that I always maintained made Adam Lallana hugely valuable, even when he was at his least popular on 18 months ago. He's got a sweet strike with either foot, can dribble and is direct. I'd be very happy if we managed to get him for £10-15m - his potential is just streets ahead of Long's who we bought for a similar price, and at 24 he has loads of time to fulfill it.

Still, I can't say I've watched extensive footage of the games he's played in the PL for Spurs (maybe you have) but from what I have seen I'd be delighted if we landed him.

Have to say I agree. All those that can quote stats go on and do so - but if he was not injured he would have been playing for England in the WC and when fit is a very good player able to "make the difference" for any team. You cannot name a single "winger" in the EPL or indeed anywhere, that does not have his detractors. Anyone whose job is to "take players on" will ALWAYS get dispossessed and be made to look a liability- will always mess up that cross, case in point Oxo last night - one moment he slaloms past three defenders and goalie makes great save that hits post , the next he lets guy run around him for besiktas to nearly score themselves.

I think GR is probably too worried about his image to go too much one on one anymore but apart from Tadic and lloyd isgrove to a lesser extent who else is there in our squad can do that with speed and trickery? If our standard tactics don't work then he is ideal. Who knows. Maybe RK can do what Wenger did with Henry....or winger turned striker Ronaldo has done with his career. Hes still young enough and he must have something........

Yes, but looking dangerous isn't enough. You're only a goal threat if you have shots on target on provide others with them. You can turn defenders inside out all game, but if it doesn't contribute to a goal then it's not much use. I'm not normally one to rely heavily on statistics, but both his goalscoring and assist record is rather poor. Last season turned out 1 goal and 0 assists. Why don't we sign Stewart Downing?

This is my last post of the day I think, so I don't think I'll be able to contribute anything else to the discussion.

Epl only...

Wow, that's quite damning! He doesn't look very good (he is supposed to be an attacking player, right!).

Townsend is a character... He's got speed, he can dribble and short pass but his shooting and through-balls are disastrous. Remember the beginning of last season when I believe Villas Boas and his teammates told him to calm the fook down and let the other shoot the ball... Air traffic was seriously threatened by his shots towards goal...

He represents quite a dilemma to me, I have never seen a player with very good tactical awareness who can play so erratically...

I don't think Townsend is as bad as some are making out, but definitely a question mark over whether he is worth the price quoted. He's certainly not the finished article, but personally think he has shown potential to be a player than can have an impact. Needs more end product, but maybe enough there for Koeman to work with to improve him?

However, if available, I would rather see us make a move for Gnabry, although that would probably only be a loan I guess. Have been impressed with him in his brief appearances for Arsenal to date. Not sure if he's injured at present though?

At the end of last year Townsend was the saviour of English football after a good game for England. I'm not sure why there is so much negativity on here regarding him? He seems to have more obvious attributes than Long for example.

He isnt exceptional, but certainly isnt as bad as some on here make out. He would give us a decent option. Though, above 10m is not only steep but Id imagine there are other options out there.