Andros Townsend

Yorkshire Saint

Just a question. Rumours of chronic internet gambling and rehab attempts. Can anyone clarify this? If true, a whole new ball game.

Her served a four month ban (three of those months were suspended) for gambling offences. Here is an article where he discusses it.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2337220/Andros-Townsend-reveals-details-gambling-shame.html

I'd prefer Biabany out of the wingers we've been linked to, he'd be much cheaper too (both fee and wages)...

Agree, also any money going to spurs will also give them a good enough kitty to get Morgan.

I think Townsend had a cracking month last season, playing for England and a couple of good games for Spurs but thats all really, nothing special, Biabany would be a better choice.

Genuine question - why is Callum Mcmanaman not linked with us or anyone? Remember him being good

He turned a bit ****, all being told. An example of a player coming in as an unknown, causing havoc with his 1 dimensional hit and run game. A few months on defenders know how to stop him, and that's that.

He has also been injured a lot and has struggled to get back from that, but the asking price of £15-16m 18 months ago seems a bit comical now to say the least.

Why do people like headless chicken wingers (Zaha, Townsend, that Norwich one) so much? It's about decision-making and intelligence, not running into dead alleys like Jack Wilshire. Think how well JWP played at the world cup under 20s (?) recently and compare his style to that of most of the others, including the headless ... .

He turned a bit ****, all being told. An example of a player coming in as an unknown, causing havoc with his 1 dimensional hit and run game. A few months on defenders know how to stop him, and that's that.

He has also been injured a lot and has struggled to get back from that, but the asking price of £15-16m 18 months ago seems a bit comical now to say the least.

Have seen him play over the back end of last season and asked myself the same question. Not sure what price Wigan have on him but surprised no premiership side has made a bid or even been credited with an interest lately.

Agree he got found out a touch but he seems to have added more to his game and can score the odd belter. Imagine it is a case of a season without injury and a purple patch of form before the premiership comes calling once more.

Why do people like headless chicken wingers (Zaha, Townsend, that Norwich one) so much? It's about decision-making and intelligence, not running into dead alleys like Jack Wilshire. Think how well JWP played at the world cup under 20s (?) recently and compare his style to that of most of the others, including the headless ... .

Actually it's about having a bit of both so you can have more than one game plan. No one is suggesting we have a team of nothing pacey wide players any more than a team of nothing but intelligent gifted ball players...A good team needs a bit of everything

Walcott was considered to have poor decision making for a while, then he improved and is a quality player

Walcott was considered to have poor decision making for a while, then he improved and is a quality player

This. Townsend is still young and learning the game. He'll get better. You can't teach someone to run faster (unless it's teaching them a better running technique, but that won't make them Usain Bolt suddenly) but you can teach them decision making and end product. It's why people wanted Redmond, raw but can be moulded. I believe the same was said about Kenwyne Jones when we signed him.

Why the fark are so many posters on here defending the possible purchase of a Pochetraitoro cast off?

Townsend? Really?

Would rather give Rowe & Sinclair a chance.

They are getting a chance in the U21s. If they were good enough they would have had a chance at Senior level.

Townsend miles better than either of them FFS.

how many crosses though if only managed one cross last season and got it spot on he'd have a 100% accuracy record. Wasn't he injuried a lot last season? or I'm I imagining that?

its west ham, they like to 'get it in the mixer'

212 crosses last season

averages over 6.5 crosses per game and was the most accurate in the league

townsend got 74 crosses last season

averaging just under 3 per game

Edited by Batman

Comparing JWP to Andros Townsend is not very fair. JWP is a fantastic player with still plenty upward potential ( i hope as england captain one day senior squad- he is my new favorite player now SRL is no more) but his job is totally different to AT. For Under 21's JWP played as DM/quarterback. His job was to circulate the ball, retain possession, be an option for defenders and attackers to pass to, track back and set piece delivery including that great goal he scored. For RK hes played more advanced but to be honest i don't think its his best position as he lacks that bit of pace and height and strength for all his other exfellent attributes most notably football intelligence, we are just lucky that in big Vic and MS we have super players. Against Liverpool RK essentially just picked his "best" eleven players and said - GO!

Andros Townsends' job is to attack, get to bye line and cross, cause goal threat, shoot, and generally cause mayhem by running at players with the ball.

Now it seems to be that the "Southampton way" for an AM is more about the former than the latter. But RK seems to want to have a bit more tactical flexibility than MOPO ever did. So having someone like Townsend - who might in some respects otherwise be considered as an entirely unsuitable player for our kind of football team - in the squad is just the additional surprise element X that might be useful to an astute and experienced manager like RK.

He knows about the EPl. He will know who he can attack easy and who he needs to be careful about. A foreign winger wont know that if hes up against a man utd cb he just needs push it past and run fast for example...

I think townsend would be a super buy.

its west ham, they like to 'get it in the mixer'

212 crosses last season

averages over 6.5 crosses per game and was the most accurate in the league

townsend got 74 crosses last season

averaging just under 3 per game

Where have you got those stats? The only ones I can find put JWP above Downing, and others

https://www.bsports.com/extratime/leaderboard-crossing-accuracy-in-the-premier-league#.U_YGBtZSFDY

I have been unimpressed with Townsend when I have seen him - he is a cast off from Spurs - why do we want him??[/QUOTE]

Because he is Levy's "make weight" for a Schneiderlin deal. Levy doesn't get rid of good players

Andros Townsend, the clue is in the name IMHO

Koeman has come out publically and stated categorically that Townsend will NOT be a make-weight in any deal for Schneiderlin. He has said that if that is suggested by Spurs, then we would pull out of our interest in Townsend. That's good enough for me, because if the club reneged on that promise, it is our manager who will be hugely embarassed.

I have been unimpressed with Townsend when I have seen him - he is a cast off from Spurs - why do we want him??[/QUOTE]

Because he is Levy's "make weight" for a Schneiderlin deal. Levy doesn't get rid of good players

Andros Townsend, the clue is in the name IMHO

Not Bale, Berbatov, Modric, Carrick and so on. Good old Daniel Levy.

Remind me again which good spurs players we tried to sign that levy didn't allow?

What the hell are you on about CB

I'm saying that Levy is using Townsend as bait to get a deal for Schneiderlin.

I'm also saying that Levy would not offer us a "good" player

I'm not saying that we are trying to sign ANY Spurs players FFS

What the hell are you on about CB

I'm saying that Levy is using Townsend as bait to get a deal for Schneiderlin.

I'm also saying that Levy would not offer us a "good" player

I'm not saying that we are trying to sign ANY Spurs players FFS

What is happening.

I might change my avatar to CBs just to f*ck with Richmond.

Koeman has come out publically and stated categorically that Townsend will NOT be a make-weight in any deal for Schneiderlin. He has said that if that is suggested by Spurs, then we would pull out of our interest in Townsend. That's good enough for me, because if the club reneged on that promise, it is our manager who will be hugely embarassed.

Wait, what? He's categorically stated that we ARE interested in Townsend then? When?