• Schneiderlin
    • Davis
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Ramirez
    • Cork

We played well all game, the right tactics deployed against a thoroughly ugly team and we didn't play to match them, we played to outplay them. We started the match on the front foot and bossed possession throughout, if there was a criticism of the first half it's that we didn't have enough forward impetus - nice in the middle, but not enough thrust after that. Their goal was just unlucky in many ways, totally against the run of play and didn't mean anything in terms of the outcome.

Our goal was scored at a great time, as it allows us to go in at HT on a high and we managed to bottle that and carry it on in the 2nd half, because we totally took the ****. West Ham were absolutely abysmal, let's not forget that, but we passed and moved it around like we did last year.

Ignoring the mistake for their goal, Morgan was involved throughout and got himself at least 1 definite goal....so either Morgan or Pelle have got a brace! (I personally think the ball brushed in off Pelle's head for the equaliser, I'll let them battle that out).

But onto Pelle - that's how to play a central striker. Physical, dominant, bringing others into play and scoring goals. It was a near perfect performance from him in that 2nd half and that's exactly what we need him to be doing for us this year, if he can turn out that sort of level on a regular basis then we will cause havoc.

Long wasn't great, endeavour was there, but quality was very much lacking. He's got a better touch than he showed, so he will get better for us.

Tadic is a level above, what a find. Gets stuck in, can throw defenders off his tail with physical strength just as much as his skill - an integral part to our side.

Overall, we got it tactically spot on. Koeman seems to know exactly how to play it and the 2nd half sub's made a positive difference in the outcome. It's great to get our first win so early on, I feared we may take a while, but we've looked a lot better at this stage than I thought we would.

Lots to be positive about, but there will be much tougher tests than West Ham put up today that's for sure.

Fantastic result! :-)

4 points from the first 3 ain't too bad. From the same 3 fixtures last season we achieved 6 points, but we were one of only 2 teams to get a result at Anfield last season. Shame about last weeks result but that's football. Let's hope for a couple of quality additions and that Morgan stays.

Class. Massive win against a thoroughly dislikable team.

Good to see Pelle get on the scoresheet.

Certainly that system with three central mids is the way to go away from home.

Tadic a really class signing.

Thoroughly agree (though I'm no expert on 'systems'). Tadic was excellent. I wonder if he and Gaston might form a truly creative partnership.

Looking at the replays Pelle headed in Morgan's shot which was missing the far post. He looks a good player in the box, something we have lacked in the past. Morgan was the best player on the field today, held everything together and got into the box. This looks like a very good Saints team.

And it will get better. One or two more additions, Ramirez getting more game time and JRod back in a couple of months hopefully. Confidence will build now; big win psychologically today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What a great second half, Koeman definitely has the half time magic wand.

And what depth we now have! (if we don't lose anyone before Monday) To be able to bring on the likes of Cork and Ramirez, and have Wanyama still on the bench gives me a warm fuzzy feeling I haven't had for a while...

A cracking 3 points that, and so glad to see Schneiderlin delivering and Pelle scoring. (Perfectly good goal disallowed too.)

COYS!!!

I'm chuffed to bits with the win, and I do think we've made some great signings (Tadic and Pelle will turn out to be great buys, as will Bertrand, Long, Forster and Gardos). But I disagree with your comment about depth. If we're winning a game then yes, Cork and Wanyama are great to bring off the bench. If we're losing though, who do we bring on? Mayuka? Please. We need to sign 2 or 3 more. Winger, striker (unless Gallagher is available?!) and a right back (ideally one who can play centre back). We have depth at some positions; we are still weak in others. Koeman has practically admitted as much.

Great win, it seems like forever since we got a result we deserved at West Ham.

Funny thing about Morgan... to me, it doesn't seem like he cares so much about Saints these days, and I think it shows in his all round/defensive game, with some errors and half-hearted challenges creeping into his game. However, at the same time, I think by being less passionate about the team he plays for, his attacking game has improved, he seems a lot freer and willing to take chances in a way that he didn't before. Or perhaps that's Koeman's influence and I'm reading the wrong things into this entirely?

Funny thing about Morgan... to me, it doesn't seem like he cares so much about Saints these days, and I think it shows in his all round/defensive game, with some errors and half-hearted challenges creeping into his game. However, at the same time, I think by being less passionate about the team he plays for, his attacking game has improved, he seems a lot freer and willing to take chances in a way that he didn't before. Or perhaps that's Koeman's influence and I'm reading the wrong things into this entirely?

I think you're reading way too much into it. He wasn't too far off how he was last season to be honest, you need to remember that he didn't have a pre-season, he was straight into competitive matches - so the sharpness is playing catch up. I can understand why these questions come out, as with all that has happened it's easy to look for signs that he's not committed, but I think it's just a case of sharpness.

@bigadamsport: #saintsfc Koeman on Morgan:"There's no way we're selling him. He's in a comfortable situation now. He's accepted club's decision finally"

I wish they'd stop asking him the same bloody question! The answer should be clear by now.

From KUMB just after their goal:

WorcesterWHU wrote:

Are those stripy ***** still shouting "hoof" as soon as the ball leaves the ground? Tiresome ****s.

AndyCarollsBarber wrote:

Not to worry. Their love of sideways football will see them relegated this year.

:lol:

My ratings.

Forster: 6.5 - key save in the first half, but should have probably saved the deflected effort, didn't have much to do.

Clyne: 8 A real force down the right and absolutely solid at the back

Fonte: 7

Yosh: 8 unlucky with the deflection but kept West Ham quiet, dare I say it, he's improving and the added competition of Gardos and the carrot of a regular starting spot is improving him. He looked ASSURED against a big physical side, and praise is where it's due for our 'weak link' he may not be as bad as some make out.

Bertrand: 7.5 - some good crosses and running, still could be a bit more positive but he's proving to be a real hard man to beat down that side, good performance.

JWP, 5.5 - Not his day, we looked alot better when he came off, his set pieces kept hitting the first man and his passing and touch let him down today.

Davis: 6 - so so, some crisp passing but also a poor first half.

Morgan: 9, immense today a real dominating force who ran the game and played like a true pro, despite the circumstances. We'll never sell him for less than £20m he's one of the best CM's in the league.

Tadic: 8, creative, great delivery, lovely control - all in all a real joy to watch and will cause sides headaches.

Pelle: 9, link up was superb, held the ball well, and a lovely goal as well, was in all the right positions and dominated West Ham with his physicality, unlucky not to score two with another header off the line.

Long: 7, unfortunate to be taken off, he was bright and was making in roads in the second half, a good effort almost crept in, starting to get up to speed and caused West Ham defenders problems.

Subs: Cork, 8, very good cameo role with his role in the third goal.

Gaston: 7, nice touches and kept our possession game going.

Koeman 9: He made some key changes and inspired the team with whatever he said, it seems the team are starting to take on board his ideas and today was a game where we really gelled well.

Bloody great second half, brilliant stuff. Holders couldn't deal with us and they didn't seem to play with a midfield second half. Noble is shocking when put under a bit of pressure. Half decent support today as well. we'l done all! Deserved that, should an could have been more. Onwards and upwards!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm chuffed to bits with the win, and I do think we've made some great signings (Tadic and Pelle will turn out to be great buys, as will Bertrand, Long, Forster and Gardos). But I disagree with your comment about depth. If we're winning a game then yes, Cork and Wanyama are great to bring off the bench. If we're losing though, who do we bring on? Mayuka? Please. We need to sign 2 or 3 more. Winger, striker (unless Gallagher is available?!) and a right back (ideally one who can play centre back). We have depth at some positions; we are still weak in others. Koeman has practically admitted as much.

Getting a fully fit J Rod back will be like getting a new signing, sadly it's a fair while away yet. But it will be nice having some pace up front and variation as well.

For someone who doesn't care he covers a helluva lot of ground. That boy ran miles today.

Today we were very very good. West ham did not know what to do with us. Pelle now looking a very good signing. Not one poor performance. Very impressed with ward prowse. If he carries on like today will be another special player. Ramirez must stay. He could be great for us. Very impressed with how we played. That's overlook and today that we have looked excellent and v west brom weren't poor.

I am starting to believe.

Jeff Stelling said that we last won away in the Prem,after conceding first,20 years ago! That was Vs Coventry.

On another note,Nathan Dyer ripped WBA to pieces today.Really highlights the fact that we are missing just that.A quality,fast winger to make the difference.