Gaston Ramiez to Hull on Season Long Loan - Official

NorthamSteve

OK, so we know that the wages saved is a plus. The minus is his creativity, although that has to be quantified as we hardly ever saw it.

So, is there anyone in the academy who can play the bit part role that Gaston does, and actually benefit from it? Is it Reed? McQueen? Isgrove? Anyone else? If we are to develop as a team, then surly it would be better if these kids benefited from the short time on the pitch that Gaston might have occupied. Is Gaston really far superior in the creativity department to anyone in the academy? And his creativity? Quantifying things a bit, t he difference in the midfield from last year to this, is most obviously Lallana vs Tadic. Then there is a different playing style, one that is RK's. Gaston doesn't really come into it. Why people think that RK and/or the Club don't know what they are doing, including the subject of midfield creativity, is a mystery. RK seems to have identified targets and the Club has gone and got them.

He headed the ball off the pitch to win the incorrectly given corner that we took quickly for Ward-Prowse to cross for the own goal people that are still accrediting to Schneiderlin for some reason, even though he didn't touch it.

Out of interest, did he score the first goal or was it Pelle's? I'll have to look at this "own goal" but I can see why it was accredited to him - would reinforce that he is too good for little old Saints.

Out of interest, did he score the first goal or was it Pelle's? I'll have to look at this "own goal" but I can see why it was accredited to him - would reinforce that he is too good for little old Saints.

The first goal was Schneiderlin's - Pelle's hair might have got a touch but his head didn't - no change in the spin on the ball at all. The second one came off the defender's thigh or possibly his boot (looks like boot from the wide camera and thigh from behind the goal), pretty sure Schneiderlin missed it altogether though he lunged for it, he was in front and put the defender off. Spotting it wasn't helped by both of them wearing similar bright yellow boots.

I am happy to hold my hands up and say that I was firmly in the Gaston is a waste of money camp. Having said that I did hope that he would stay and show his worth this season. He clearly has ability and it will be a choker if he does the biz at Hull (but some how you just see that he is going to spend more time on the treatment table). It was a big spend that didnt pay off for us but I wish him well. Who knows, it might all work out well and we get a decent player back for a final year of his contract next year?

Maybe hull fans can wait all year for him to come good..... We waited 2 years and it didn't happen.

Good business for all concerned.

New era at st Mary's... Let's wait for official news on in comings! Exciting times!!

Very accurate. Hull is his level.... But he might not even make it there....

I went from excited by his arrival to waiting for him to show us what he can do to being disappointed but giving him time to not expecting much to indifferent that he is gone. Never lived up to expectation, for the big fee, remember that at three time we signed him the TV contact was less generous. He might come good but w don't have the luxury of waiting when w Gabe other players that will help make a more effective team.

I am reading the papers and find it amazing that all these journalists and ex-players are saying how inspired it is of Hull to have captured the loan signing of Gaston. Why? These people have hardly been effusive about him while he was at Saints (actually, I don't think that they ever mentioned him last season), but all of a sudden he is top quality. They seem to ignore the reason why, with I think the smallest squad in the league, have sent him out on loan. They seem to ignore his record from last season. Maybe they just see that he played a few minutes in the WC alongside Dracula and therefore has to be some sort of super star. They may turn out to be right, but on past performances, they are writing utter rubbish.

REDKNAPP: Hull signed match- winners in Gaston Ramirez and Hatem Ben Arfa.

Match-winner??

Next summer we will have a young creative midfielder with prem experience. Relax! ;)

This. Gaston going on loan is a win-win IMO. If Hull manage to unlock his potential then we'll have a better player returning to us, if they don't then we'll have saved a significant amount of money in wages.

And, if he does start realising his potential at Hull we'll have a player out there helping taking points off some of our 'top-half-of-the-table' rivals....

Edited by trousers

This. Gaston going on loan is a win-win IMO. If Hull manage to unlock his potential then we'll have a better player returning to us, if they don't then we'll have saved a significant amount of money in wages.

And, if he does start realising his potential at Hull we'll have a player out there helping taking points off some of our 'top-half-of-the-table' rivals....

But in fairness he will then want to stay at Hull or one of the 'big' clubs will bite

Will be a bit annoying if he helps them finish above us though......

The only way they'll get Gaston firing is by first making sure Ben Arfa doesnt bloody eat him. Had one too many geordie pies that lad.

Would you have both Ben Arfa and Gaston on the pitch at the same time?? It's all well and good Bruce signing all these players, but fitting them in is somewhat harder.

Would have made more sense to let hull have long back, sign Hernandez and keep Ramirez

Good heavens one of the most stupid posts on here....and there have been a few - I am sure Hernandez would have chosen us over Real Madrid, Ramirez that managed a sum of what 7 games last season at 65k a week! and great you have written Long off after 3 games. Long is a good squad signing he offers a lot during the season and will be a perfect foil for Pelle when they settle.

Why people are so hooked on Longs 12m beats me its not their money thats being spent - plus Lallana 24m, Welbeck and Ballotelli 16m which is worth more?

Good heavens one of the most stupid posts on here....and there have been a few - I am sure Hernandez would have chosen us over Real Madrid, Ramirez that managed a sum of what 7 games last season at 65k a week! and great you have written Long off after 3 games. Long is a good squad signing he offers a lot during the season and will be a perfect foil for Pelle when they settle.

Why people are so hooked on Longs 12m beats me its not their money thats being spent - plus Lallana 24m, Welbeck and Ballotelli 16m which is worth more?

Erm, he meant the Hernandez from Uruguay that Hull have just signed, not the Hernandez from Mexico that Real Madrid have.

Always find it interesting the indignation that comes out when bit part players leave. And a bit part player he has undoubtedly been.

Adkins used him quite well.....12/13.....Squad: 28, Starting eleven: 20, Substituted in: 6, On the bench: 2, Suspended: 0, Injured: 4....total minutes 1699 (out of a possible 3420)....5 goals 3 assists

Poch used not very often!!!.....13/14....Squad: 23, Starting eleven: 3, Substituted in: 15, On the bench: 5, Suspended: 0, Injured: 4....total minutes 526....1 goal 3 assists

Given his cost & wages, this is a dreadful return. If the reported £60k per week was being paid, I would certainly want a lot more. We can wait and wait and wait until this great potential is revealed, but we have others available who we don't have to wait on. It also seems that the board have cleared out a lot of the higher earners from the last era of the club. Maybe the esteemed ex Chief Exec wasn't overly prudent. Maybe he needed to be overly generous to get people to come and the status of Southampton up and noticed, which it has.

This point would have merit if we hadn't just spent that entire time paying the likes of Lee Barnard, Jonno Forte and Billy Sharp to not even train with the first team.

So gambling on another unproven Uruguyuan rather than a proven Prem player - yeah that makes sense especially as we have a great record with South Americans.

I have no opinion on this matter, just giving you a chance to clarify yours.

I have no opinion on this matter, just giving you a chance to clarify yours.

Apologies not the first time I have made that mistake - I just don't understand all this rubbish about Long - we all know he is not a massive goalscorere but

he brings totally different dimensions to the team what we had. To post that we should send him back after 3 games is stupid IMO.

This point would have merit if we hadn't just spent that entire time paying the likes of Lee Barnard, Jonno Forte and Billy Sharp to not even train with the first team.

Granted but I would class them the same if looking at from a financial angle. Maybe combined they would equal Gaston by himself but the principle is ultimately the same. However the signing in the first place wasn't. Maybe with Barnard and Forte, they were signed with the expectation that we wouldn't get back to back promotions. Sharp - that's the one which I have never really understood. We sign him to help get promotion, while we were looking like getting it, and when that comes to fruition, we never play him. I guess sometimes you have to take these hits to get to the promised land, and when you are there, you have to accept that you are going to have some/many players that are surplus to requirement. But Gaston, he was signed for different reasons.

Someone stated that Gaston hasn't ever managed 4 games in a row in his entire career! An incredible stat. Does anyone think he will manage this at Hull?? Gaston Watch.

No they didn't. The stated that he hasn't completed four full 90+ minutes in a row. Not the same thing.

Out of interest, I wonder how many times say, Lallana, completed four or more full 90+ minutes for Saints in the past two seasons?

No they didn't. The stated that he hasn't completed four full 90+ minutes in a row. Not the same thing.

Out of interest, I wonder how many times say, Lallana, completed four or more full 90+ minutes for Saints in the past two seasons?

It was me who brought it up.

As for AL

Last season.... games 7, 8, 9 & 10 he did 90 minutes (and game 6 he did 86 and game 11 he did 84) games 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 he did the full 90 with game 36 only managing 86. This was on the back of playing the full 90 in game 23, 24, 25, 26 (save for 2 minutes), 27, 28 and 29

In 2012/13, he suffered a knee injury and wasn't overly used after that. However, before hand, he played the full 90 in games 1-15 save for only 78 minutes in game 3.

So absolutely no comparison to Gaston. (This is just for league games).

I'm not agenda driven, but the factual answer (since the first 15 games of the season before last) is actually only twice.

Sure, without a doubt Lallana played loads more games and minutes than Gaston, but in modern-day squad rotated football matches I imagine it's not that common for a player in the "creative number 10-type" role to play more than four full games in a row very often.

It was me who brought it up.

As for AL

Last season.... games 7, 8, 9 & 10 he did 90 minutes (and game 6 he did 86 and game 11 he did 84) games 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 he did the full 90 with game 36 only managing 86. This was on the back of playing the full 90 in game 23, 24, 25, 26 (save for 2 minutes), 27, 28 and 29

In 2012/13, he suffered a knee injury and wasn't overly used after that. However, before hand, he played the full 90 in games 1-15 save for only 78 minutes in game 3.

So absolutely no comparison to Gaston. (This is just for league games).

The 90 min and **** shot thing was regurgitated on here as soon as he went but wasn't an issue at all last season.

At least the chap has a sense of humour :-))))

“@HullCity: GR: “Many people have told me about this area and what a lovely place it is. Also, I know this team is like a family.” #UTT”

Its amazing how much bull a player comes out with when he joins another club, they must go to a special school to learn some of this crap ! "this team is like a family"......did he mis-understand Long saying "I had to leave Hull because of my family" :lol: