Stoke 2 Saints 3 - Match & Reactions

Wiggles31

MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)  

243 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Stoke (Away 2014/15 League Cup)

• Forster
    • Targett
    • Clyne
    • Gardos
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Davis, S
    • Long
    • Tadic
    • Pelle
    • Cork
    • Alderweireld

Hardcore. You staying there for 5.5 hours?!

Yep! Dropped my step daughter and boyfriend at Alton Towers and now me and her mum are working through the starter menu with a few beers. Staying at the Holiday inn and Sorted taxi to bring them back later. Hope we have a decent turnout.

Yep! Dropped my step daughter and boyfriend at Alton Towers and now me and her mum are working through the starter menu with a few beers. Staying at the Holiday inn and Sorted taxi to bring them back later. Hope we have a decent turnout.

See you about 5:30!

Stoke fans are predicting Sparky to rest a few players, and seem to think that Thomas Sorenson (remember him!?) will be in goal, which none of them seem to be too pleased about...

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/236119/stoke-city-southampton-capitol-cup?page=1

Also, looks like a few of them don't like us at the moment after losing on saturday...

Unfortunately, I've just put a couple of quid on us winning 2-0 tonight with Pelle getting one of the goals, so I think we might lose now. Apologies in advance :D

The fans suggesting a loaned out player will be in goal are the best.

What the hell? Forster better be playing tonight.

I can see resting a few players, but "resting" our GK or not playing him to avoid the .00001% chance of injury is pretty shortsided.

We can beat them with a weakened team, they are likely to put out a weakened team as well. Should be entertaining and open game with little pressure to win on both sides.

Stoke fans are predicting Sparky to rest a few players, and seem to think that Thomas Sorenson (remember him!?) will be in goal, which none of them seem to be too pleased about...

http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/236119/stoke-city-southampton-capitol-cup?page=1

Also, looks like a few of them don't like us at the moment after losing on saturday...

"Scummers", smells fishy.

Personally I'd bring in Gardos and Targett like he has done previously, and maybe give Isgrove and/or Reed a chance. If it wasn't for Mane being a doubt I would have said rest Tadic, but he's so important and pretty much our only creative player. Morgan is another who is really important but we do have a fair amount of depth in CM, so I won't mind if he isn't rested. Something like this maybe.

FF

NC, JF, FG, MT

VW, MS

HR

SL, GP, DT

I have been v.confident about this all along, I spose we all have, but as the game draws near I'm starting to feel a few nerves. The Stoke crowd will be well up for this, it's a big chance for them! Something to tell their grand-kids about. The players too, if their manager knows his business he will be pointing out to them that if they do it, if they somehow manage to pull off what would be one of the biggest cup upsets of all time, they could find themselves on both the back and front pages of tomorrows papers, and ultimately could end up getting a chance at a better club.

Seems far-fetched, I know, but as the game draws near I'm starting to think, maybe, just maybe Stoke have got a chance. Hope not tho :thumbup: COYR

Stoke City v Southampton (19:45 GMT)

Posted at 18:49

Stoke City starting XI: Begovic; Bardsley, Shawcross ©, Wilson, Pieters; Cameron, Nzonzi; Walters, Bojan, Arnautovic; Diouf

Southampton starting XI: Forster, Clyne, Fonte ©, Gardos, Targett, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Tadic, Long, Pelle.

Stoke looking half decent too. Should be a good game.

Just hope we're ahead at ~60 minutes, there's not much in the way of attacking options on that bench. Interesting that Reed's on the bench too considering he played two days ago.

Stoke's side looks pretty strong, Arnautovic has always looked impressive to me.

Stoke City v Southampton (19:45 GMT)

Posted at 18:49

Stoke City starting XI: Begovic; Bardsley, Shawcross ©, Wilson, Pieters; Cameron, Nzonzi; Walters, Bojan, Arnautovic; Diouf

Southampton starting XI: Forster, Clyne, Fonte ©, Gardos, Targett, Wanyama, Schneiderlin, S. Davis, Tadic, Long, Pelle.

Stoke looking half decent too. Should be a good game.

I think Wanyama, Long and Gardos are more of a physical match up, and on paper look like a perfect tactical switch for the away trip. If it works, we'll have two blueprints on how to beat them. 3-1 to us.

I think Wanyama, Long and Gardos are more of a physical match up, and on paper look like a perfect tactical switch for the away trip. If it works, we'll have two blueprints on how to beat them. 3-1 to us.

Meanwhile Stoke go with the less physical presence of Bojan and Diouf up top instead of Crouch...

Subs: Davis K, Yoshida, Alderwiedhersein (Toby), Cork, Bertrand, Mayuka, Reed

Is Mane injured?

Koeman said he had a slight ankle injury. Saints have taken 20 players up north to stay for both the Stoke and Hull games. Cody Cropper is the 19th player, Mane might be the 20th and perhaps may make the squad on Saturday.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I am awfully terrified over how picking that team tonight is going to obliterate our league form in April and May 2015 next year. You know, after next Easter. Whatever shall we do?

Or, in the real fu ck ing world, Ronald Koeman has got his selection bang on.

Go for it boys. Effing go for it.

This chap must be spinning in his grave.

m1mxnbeafua4_sqr256.jpg

Mind you, he'd have the last laugh if we pick up suspensions or injuries tonight.

He's made 10 changes tonight. If they get beaten there'll be a backlash, cups are a huge opportunity for a team like Spurs.