Post-Match Reaction: Aston Villa 1-1 SAINTS

Plastic

MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)  

309 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Mane
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Mayuka
    • Cork

It shows how far we've come when we're unhappy with an away draw at Villa.

This. Back in the day a point away at Villa would have been seen as a major, major point gained. Should really have won really, just one awful feckup cost us. That was so flat tonight, hopefully a one of and we are right back up for it on Sunday.

Funny old game, but they, villa that is, were as bad a side suffering from a lack of confidence as you will ever see at this level.

I think Villa are s**te, a dire side, which makes tonight a bit frustrating. We played into their hands from the start, going full attacking line up. Left no options off the bench and they love soaking up pressure and hitting sides on the break.

Our corners and set pieces were very wasteful.

Quiet, low key support.

Onwards and upwards from here.

Deserved draw on both parts. Villa deserved the point for the effort they put into keeping us out. Our final ball was dreadful all evening, that needs some serious work. Clyne and Wanyama were the only ones who looked like they gave a ****.

I'm starting to think these "amazing" diagonal balls that Morgan plays are only looked at as such because he plays so many of them every game, he's bound to get the odd one right every now and again. Most of them either get headed away with ease or the reciprocant has to really jog back to try and get to it. Also, as the commentator pointed out tonight, because it's in the air so long it gives the opposition a chance to get their shape back.

Not too disappointed with a draw but I'm not over the moon either. The bottom line is, if we beat City on Sunday this will be looked at as a brilliant point.

Tonight just goes to show how important the "droppable" Steven Davis is to the entire set-up of the team IMO...

However, many of the Saints teams of old would have folded, this one kept going to nab a point.

Edited by markr27

Disjointed in attack and we didn't create enough to win the game. Long worked hard and Morgan moved the ball nicely, though, and a defeat would have been harsh, bearing in mind how bad Villa were going forward. A pub-football goal conceded is annoying and I'm a little concerned at Forster's decision-making when coming off his line, but it was a nice goal to give us a point. Probably a fair result, if I'm honest.

It takes two sides to make a game of football. Villa were at home but were content to park the bus and didn't attempt to come out and take us on. That's going to happen now because some sides will be wary of us. Villa packed men behind the ball and that makes it difficult to create the chances especially away from home. Not a great performance but this side still had enough about them to come up with one moment of class to grab a point. Let's not be too hard on the lads.

Was that worth getting up at 5am for, I ask myself. At half time I checked to see who was on the bench and I was surprised to see the lack of attacking options available. With things not working for us, it seems Mayuka was all we had to choose from.

Great build-up and superb finish from Clyne - the Dubious Goals Panel won't give it as an own goal, will they? I know no Villa player was near it, but the goal reminded me a bit of Mane's goal against Sunderland ...

Deserved draw on both parts. Villa deserved the point for the effort they put into keeping us out. Our final ball was dreadful all evening, that needs some serious work. Clyne and Wanyama were the only ones who looked like they gave a ****.

I'm starting to think these "amazing" diagonal balls that Morgan plays are only looked at as such because he plays so many of them every game, he's bound to get the odd one right every now and again. Most of them either get headed away with ease or the reciprocant has to really jog back to try and get to it. Also, as the commentator pointed out tonight, because it's in the air so long it gives the opposition a chance to get their shape back.

Not too disappointed with a draw but I'm not over the moon either. The bottom line is, if we beat City on Sunday this will be looked at as a brilliant point.

The commentator didn't mention anything about the diagonal balls in the first half when he hit 5 or 6 perfectly and they helped us stretch the play.

Koeman' poor selection and game plan lost it for us tonight. I can't face listening to his feeble excuses. Why oh why leave Cork on the bench till the 89th minutes? Pelle and Tadic have been found out. Long was found out ages ago Gutted, when we should have won.

Calm down.

Quite a flat display all round - lacked the urgency that we usually have and no surprise that when we found it for one moment, we scored. Disappointing, but you'll never be at the races every game.

Can't fault Koeman for going for it with the change in formation - admire the bravery and desire to go and get an away win - but of course in hindsight, you would probably go with Cork for Davis and that would have been a better option.

At the end of the day, made a defensive mistake and conceded - would have almost certainly won the game without that error.

Then we'd all be talking about "sign of a good team, winning in a poor performance" etc.

Might be the reality check that we need to ensure that we are really at it for City - we do have a good chance in that one and If we do get the win, this one will pretty quickly be forgotten.

The commentator didn't mention anything about the diagonal balls in the first half when he hit 5 or 6 perfectly and they helped us stretch the play.

It wasn't that many. It was 4 or 5 and some of them, his team mate had to really make an effort to get there. This isn't just something I've thought tonight, I've noticed over the lsat 3 or 4 games his diagonal balls aren't quite as good as some people make out.

Was dreading coming on here after that game but apart from the usual idiots, it's been a pretty fair reaction. Not a great performance - although it was as one sided a game in terms of possession and territory as I've seen in a long long time, we lacked intensity, pace and fluidity and probably the draw was about right. Take the point, move on. I fancy us to get 6 points from the next three.

Tonight just goes to show how important the "droppable" Steven Davis is to the entire set-up of the team IMO...

However, many of the Saints teams of old would have folded, this one kept going to nab a point.

As I've always said, one of the first names on the team sheet.

With hindsight I think we should have maintained the structure and shape that has worked so well for us - putting Cork in for Davis and keeping either Long or Mané on the bench. It was almost as though we had too much width today.

Mané didn't get much out of (Goatboy's) Hutton but I think the commentators made a good point - sometimes we should leave the wide man to take on the full back in space, rather than close that space up with another overlap.

He's a decent enough keeper I'm still not convinced by Forster.

:toppa:

He went for it, but it didn't quite work. Not sure you can have a go at him for going for it.

And, tell me oh wise one, what would Cork have provided us when we were chasing the game?

Cheers.

Think we should have started with Cork in the Davis role if only to give us one of Long or Mane to bring on late in the game. When our only attacking choice from the bench is Mayuka it doesn't give you much chance to make a game changing sub plus Long was crap playing behind Pelle and Tadic didn't seem to suit playing through the middle either. Cork would have been a better starter than Long IMO.

Koeman got it wrong tonight. We have played with 3 central midfielders all season and then he changed it because Davis was injured. Should have started Cork or Reed and had Long on the bench to come on. Clearly showed he doesn't rate Cork overly highly, and Reed still a long way from contention in the EPL.

Also, Tadic frustrates in the non home games, a large differential in his performance levels.

Forster still not demonstrated he is worth the money paid for him.

Yuki.

On another day would have won though. Aston Villa are genuinely terrible.

I know they've been saying they take one game at a time, but perhaps the City game at the weekend is occupying their thoughts a little too much. They didn't seem tuned in tonight at all.

I definitely think Pelle had one eye on City tonight. He was so scared of picking up a yellow that he didn't get in the game at all

Think we should have started with Cork in the Davis role if only to give us one of Long or Mane to bring on late in the game. When our only attacking choice from the bench is Mayuka it doesn't give you much chance to make a game changing sub plus Long was crap playing behind Pelle and Tadic didn't seem to suit playing through the middle either. Cork would have been a better starter than Long IMO.

Cork isnt a no.10 though, nor is schneiderlin or Wanyama

Maybe he coukd have played Tadic behind Pelle (which pre match is what I thought he would do) but not Cork