Post-Match Reaction: Aston Villa 1-1 SAINTS

Plastic

MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)  

309 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Mane
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Mayuka
    • Cork

Amazed by the feedback on here. I watched it on Sky and thought we were quite good. Not great. But quite good. 6.5/10 ish.

Got to agree with this. I watched the whole game on a (for once) excellent stream, and thought we looked quality against a side with a park the bus game plan. Ok, we lacked a bit of our usual shape, but still always looked by far the better side. Pity not to get the 3 points, but I was pleased with the way we pushed for the equaliser, a defeat would have been something of a travesty.

Make no mistake. Any point away from home is a good point. Aston Villa were very well organized and did not allow us to play in the final third. The were also very effective on the counter attack.

Also way up our performance with an international break and some very tired players.

Well done Saints.

Although we had about 60% of the game we never really got going, to many below par last night just put it down to one of those nights and we are going to have few more before the end of the season, but at the end of the day a point away from home is a good point.

If Forster had not made the mis-judgement that gifted Villa their goal, the game would have been quite different and very likely our goal would have come sooner. A timely reminder though, that football has one important element that you can't influence - Luck.

Don't know why I put myself through saints web at times, some utter morons on here. Forster league 1, Mane southern league, koeman getting it wrong, Saints very poor ...

Some of you need a serious reality check. First, Forster ... Error of judgement which cost us a goal. But he's still young, has helped us to a remarkable defensive record the season after breaking the scottish record for clean sheets and played for England last week. I still think he might, just might, have the potential to be really good. And the error wasn't that bad, it's not as if he cost England a trip to the World Cup like that league 1 standard Shilton did all those years ago.

Next, tactics. Davis is injured, you're playing a team that will have 7 defenders where both centre backs are back-up players so do you play a third deep-lying midfielder who is excellent at passing sideways, ensuring your possession stats go from 65% to 75% with no added penetration, or do you give it a go with another forward? Well done koeman on giving it a go. Hindsight is wonderful, and given how the game panned out, having long or mane to come off the bench would have been useful, but the game should have been finished long before.

The main issue last night was the standard of crossing. And while I love Clyne, and he scored the winner, set up by Bertrand, I do find it amusing that they are 1 and 2 in the motm poll when they, along with tadic, were woeful in their crossing last night. Clyne had 2 that went behind for a goal kick. And even from corners ... We had half a dozen in the first half, and aside from Fonte heading straight at the keeper, didn't threaten at all.

But that's where my issue with last night ends. We dominated, were by miles the better side, but struggled to break down a back 7. When there's that many defenders playing so deep you can't play over or through them (without a messi) so you need width and quality crossing and the crossing wasn't good enough. Add in a mistake on one of their three breakaways and in the end I'm grateful we got a point.

But overall, as a saints fan I'm still delighted. Not sure if this draw means this is no longer our best start to a top flight season, but it's still utterly remarkable. And for people on here to be criticising koeman, the team, or people like Forster is just ridiculous. This is as good as it gets. Just think, it could be so much worse. Pity the villa fan, a once great club, finished 6th three seasons running while we were languishing in league 1, and you turn up to see your team play 7 defenders for 90 minutes and pray you can sneak something on the break, in an empty stadium with no atmosphere. You get utterly dominated, sneak a point, and are 2 points off relegation.

We really are in a good place, guys. Enjoy it and stop moaning

Don't know why I put myself through saints web at times, some utter morons on here. Forster league 1, Mane southern league, koeman getting it wrong, Saints very poor ...

Some of you need a serious reality check. First, Forster ... Error of judgement which cost us a goal. But he's still young, has helped us to a remarkable defensive record the season after breaking the scottish record for clean sheets and played for England last week. I still think he might, just might, have the potential to be really good. And the error wasn't that bad, it's not as if he cost England a trip to the World Cup like that league 1 standard Shilton did all those years ago.

Next, tactics. Davis is injured, you're playing a team that will have 7 defenders where both centre backs are back-up players so do you play a third deep-lying midfielder who is excellent at passing sideways, ensuring your possession stats go from 65% to 75% with no added penetration, or do you give it a go with another forward? Well done koeman on giving it a go. Hindsight is wonderful, and given how the game panned out, having long or mane to come off the bench would have been useful, but the game should have been finished long before.

The main issue last night was the standard of crossing. And while I love Clyne, and he scored the winner, set up by Bertrand, I do find it amusing that they are 1 and 2 in the motm poll when they, along with tadic, were woeful in their crossing last night. Clyne had 2 that went behind for a goal kick. And even from corners ... We had half a dozen in the first half, and aside from Fonte heading straight at the keeper, didn't threaten at all.

But that's where my issue with last night ends. We dominated, were by miles the better side, but struggled to break down a back 7. When there's that many defenders playing so deep you can't play over or through them (without a messi) so you need width and quality crossing and the crossing wasn't good enough. Add in a mistake on one of their three breakaways and in the end I'm grateful we got a point.

But overall, as a saints fan I'm still delighted. Not sure if this draw means this is no longer our best start to a top flight season, but it's still utterly remarkable. And for people on here to be criticising koeman, the team, or people like Forster is just ridiculous. This is as good as it gets. Just think, it could be so much worse. Pity the villa fan, a once great club, finished 6th three seasons running while we were languishing in league 1, and you turn up to see your team play 7 defenders for 90 minutes and pray you can sneak something on the break, in an empty stadium with no atmosphere. You get utterly dominated, sneak a point, and are 2 points off relegation.

You have no place on this board with such a sensible post!!

International week hangover. A good reason why I don't care if ours get picked.

Villa played 10 back in a home game! They got lucky scoring as had we scored first they were finished. Terrible tactics by a home club but it worked for them.

i felt we would get a result even as the game went on.

it did underline how thin the squad is as I couldn't see much on the bench to change things. Normally we have Long or Mane to come on.

I see what you did there....

A player I haven't seen mentioned yet - Toby - he didn't have too much to do last night but he really does look a top class centre back, quick, good anticipation and very clean and decisive when he does intervene.

Spot on

worried about Forster. if he had got sent off we would be in trouble. bring back Arthur

He didn't get sent off, so we weren't in trouble. He made a mistake, which people have pointed out. it doesn't warrant us changing the GK though as people are moronically suggesting.

Who is Arthur?

:adore:

Are we presuming that Toby got a call from Forster on their goal?

Had he continued on his the line of his run he would have been able to shepherd Agbonlahor at the very least to a poorer shooting angle, but the way he veered off to his right suggests he got a call.

That will go down as our first defensive error this season. Not bad 12 games in.

Thought we did ok. Was much like those matches last season when we dominated possession but couldn't create much. Unlike many of those occasions we actually got something out of the game.

I take it the people moaning further up this thread are the same insufferable idiots who groan at every misplaced pass we make at St Mary's. We're second in the league FFS. Get a grip.

Are we presuming that Toby got a call from Forster on their goal?

Had he continued on his the line of his run he would have been able to shepherd Agbonlahor at the very least to a poorer shooting angle, but the way he veered off to his right suggests he got a call.

That will go down as our first defensive error this season. Not bad 12 games in.

Either a call or he saw him charging towards the ball out the corner of his eye and made the decision to cover the goal.

Looked like he may even have got a tackle in if Forster had stayed back, which he should have done once he'd hesitated in coming out.

Either a call or he saw him charging towards the ball out the corner of his eye and made the decision to cover the goal.

Looked like he may even have got a tackle in if Forster had stayed back, which he should have done once he'd hesitated in coming out.

And he almost cleared the ball off the line too.

Not suggesting we change the goalie. I am suggesting that the risk of forster getting sent off is getting more worrying after that mistake and without King Arthur as back up considering a 3 game ban we would be in trouble

Why does that mistake mean he is more likely to get sent off in the next game?

Why does that mistake mean he is more likely to get sent off in the next game?

Indeed. Probbaly less likely now as he'll probbaly be told not to charge off his line like that anymore, or take up a position further up the pitch so he can clear the ball first.

exactly,myself am over the moon with the start. 12 games ago i would have expected us to lose 2 or 3 nilo as i was so concerned of the state fo the squad

Packing our players in the box for corners, free kicks, brought the entire Villa squad in to mark them. The goal mouth was a mess. We could have spread out and better positioned our players making space and it easier to score. By doing so we could have drawn out the Villa players. I felt our positioning in the box was the worse I've seen since Koeman took over.

This ^ excellent post

Kinda. It our first defensive error this season that we were punished for. We have made a few similar errors in defence but have either recovered the ball again (see see Stoke game) or the shooting by the oppo has been so poor we didnt concede (see Wood from Leicester)

What was with Morgan and his "Hollywood" balls last night? Is he putting himself in the shop window as a replacement for Gerrard at Liverpool

he was probably told to do that, spread the play, move their defence around. rather than just passing it into a brick wall

Spot on. The morons moaning aren't worth the steam off my piiss anyway.

Good post.

Packing our players in the box for corners, free kicks, brought the entire Villa squad in to mark them. The goal mouth was a mess. We could have spread out and better positioned our players making space and it easier to score. By doing so we could have drawn out the Villa players. I felt our positioning in the box was the worse I've seen since Koeman took over.

Why do you think we took quite a number of short corners?

Mind you, Villa still didn't move from their positions much for those either!

What was with Morgan and his "Hollywood" balls last night? Is he putting himself in the shop window as a replacement for Gerrard at Liverpool
Tweeted Koeman and Jan Klultenberg after our last game that we need to have alternative corner/free kick takers to Tadic. Personally would have preferred to see Bertram taking corners on the left. We'll just have to wait for the return of Prowsie.

SNIP

Thanks for saving me a lot of typing!

Great post. 100% agree although I feel sorry for Cork having to watch Mane and Long struggling last night - feel he could have made that difference and he should start on Sunday if Davis is not fit. If anyone is feeling down after last night they should just spend a few minutes looking at the Villa forum or maybe RedandWhiteKop - soon puts things in perspective and puts a smile back on your face.

Why do you think we took quite a number of short corners?

Mind you, Villa still didn't move from their positions much for those either!

They didn't move because all our players remained in the goal mouth. I meant they should spread out not cling together or move outwards as the corner is taken. This is definitely something to work on.

Great post. 100% agree although I feel sorry for Cork having to watch Mane and Long struggling last night - feel he could have made that difference and he should start on Sunday if Davis is not fit. If anyone is feeling down after last night they should just spend a few minutes looking at the Villa forum or maybe RedandWhiteKop - soon puts things in perspective and puts a smile back on your face.

I would also start with cork against City if Davis is still out as its a different game and we will be severely tested defensively, but am happy with koemans starting 11 last night. And thanks for the reminder about liverpools plight. So far, this really is the season that keeps giving :)

Controlled the game and should have won. We need to work on the accuracy of crosses and corners. Should really be creating far more from these than we did last night. That said we were streets ahead of Villa and now really looking forward to the next three games.

Shows how far we have come that we are disappointed with an away point.

It amused me when Schneiderlin's passing to the fullbacks was lauded at 0-0 and derided at 0-1 by the commentators (once one eventually went astray).

I thought we were playing well until we conceded, very much in control of the game. After that it was more difficult as they had something to hang onto, but we got our reward on a night where none of our attacking players were playing particularly well. I'll take it.

It did seem strange to me when pundits have previously been talking about our 'options', and the depth of our squad. I've never really seen it that way; we are two more injuries/suspensions away from a significantly weakened first 11 (if Cork had to adopt Davis' ACM role for a few weeks, for example, and Reed cover Morgan in DCM). I think our best 13/14 players have found an excellent formula to dominate and win games, but that would be very hard to recapture in the wake of just one or two more absentees. That's not a criticism, but I think our form will drop severely if our squad gets too stretched. The sooner we get JWP and Rodriguez back the better - they could give us a second wind and take some of the pressure off.

Our midfielders always play quick long balls out to the wingers/fullbacks to stretch the opposition. No-ones mentioned that Wanyama did it a couple of times.

I think if people see their goal from the view of Forster then the mistake becomes very understandable. Look it's a lucky punt up field. It's not a pass more a tactical clearance up the ball up field. The thing that takes everyone by surprise is the speed of Agbonlahor.

We could also argue that Fonte and Toby should have been more aware or taken better positioning.

I also havent read to much about how well Frazer did with most of the crosses and his kicking.

Mistakes or split second choices are part of the game. It's what makes football such a great sport.

Amazed by the feedback on here. I watched it on Sky and thought we were quite good. Not great. But quite good. 6.5/10 ish.

I thought we were incredibly frustrating, short passing was often a yard behind the runner, which totally checked our momentum on loads of occasions. The goal was facepalmingly annoying and unexpected based on previous performances.

It says a lot about Villa and the way they set out that we still looked the most likely to win it late on (Weimann miss aside), but we were a bit lethargic and there were very few points where we had the energy, speed and creativity to break down an entrenched defence when we were in attacking positions. Much of that was down to the square-peg-in-round-hole set up with Long in the hole, and later the inability to get the ball to Tadic or Pelle in dangerous positions - and I can't say I thought the Villa defence even played that well.

It never ceases to amaze me how quickly people allow their expectations to sky rocket.

I don't think expecting us to beat a Villa side which had only scored 5 goals all season is "sky rocketing" expectations.

Have been expecting tiredness in amongst the next 3 matches against top sides, but not on Monday with a longer rest than most on International duty.

Although it would have been nice to have won I feel a draw was quite a good result - Most reports in the papers suggested we played reasonably well and more than deserved a point.

God knows what is going to happen to this board if we do eventually lose

Villa were never going to score unless we gifted them one. That mistake cost us 2 points. Worst part about it was Forster's positioning, Villa cleared the ball away just outside their penalty box and Forster was inside his 6-yard box.... He should be near the edge of the box for exactly that sort of clearance. Then he can make a decision to go forward to it or drop back towards his goal. Lazy goalkeeping plain and simple. With that said several others had poor performances.

Villa defended well, they defended wider than Leicester stopping us from crossing as much, and when we did cross it was under pressure and poor delivery. After they scored they dropped so deep which I think nullifies Mane & Long a lot. Their best asset is hitting the offside trap at pace and they couldn't do that. You look at the goals Long scored vs Leicester; the 1st was a horizontal burst into space between the defence/midfield line, the 2nd was breaking the offside trap. With those 2 nullified our game relies on Bertrand & Clyne to make overlap runs and cross, or Pelle to layoff to someone. Pelle getting double-teamed and tightly marked out of the game and you can see why it's so hard for us to get that 1st goal against teams parking the bus. I have no doubt our attacking players will look 100x better in the next 3 games when they have space to do what they do.