Post-Match Reaction: Aston Villa 1-1 SAINTS

Plastic

MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)  

309 members have voted

1. 1. MotM vs Aston Villa (Away 2014/15)

• Forster
    • Bertrand
    • Clyne
    • Alderweireld
    • Fonte
    • Schneiderlin
    • Wanyama
    • Mane
    • Tadic
    • Long
    • Pelle
    • Mayuka
    • Cork

Koeman got it wrong tonight. We have played with 3 central midfielders all season and then he changed it because Davis was injured. Should have started Cork or Reed and had Long on the bench to come on. Clearly showed he doesn't rate Cork overly highly, and Reed still a long way from contention in the EPL.

Also, Tadic frustrates in the non home games, a large differential in his performance levels.

Forster still not demonstrated he is worth the money paid for him.

Yuki.

On another day would have won though. Aston Villa are genuinely terrible.

Your english got better quickly

Hi glasgow

Koeman got it completely wrong tonight. Frustrating that he didn't start stick with approach that's been so impressive by replacing Davis with cork. Then it was disappointing that he stuck with such a poor set up for 70+ minutes without a change. Very lucky to get a point today. Goal was very poor too, a long punt that alderweireld should have been left to dealt with rather than Forster rushing out rashly. Really hope cork starts at the weekend.

Cork isnt a no.10 though, nor is schneiderlin or Wanyama

Maybe he coukd have played Tadic behind Pelle (which pre match is what I thought he would do) but not Cork

It's all opinions I think Cork is more versatile than you give him credit for and could do a job there certainaly no worse than Long. looked to me like Tadic moved into the centre for the second half in place of Long which didn't work that well either I think Tadic prefers to play out wide. Maybe we should have kept Gaston................

Edited by doddisalegend

Opps, wasn't it this time last year that things started go wrong.... deja vu.??????

Calm down we still got a point. Can't gain them all. Liverpool lost to Villa at Anfield- and evem in previous seasons, Chelsea and City have lost in the past.

This is a good point, and regardless of their form, still a tough place to come.

Keep the faith up.

It's all opinions I think Cork is more versatile than you give him credit for and could do a job there certainaly no worse than Long. looked to me like Tadic moved into the centre for the second half in place of Long which didn't work that well either I think Tadic prefers to play out wide. Maybe we should have kept Gaston................

I did wonder why we let Gaston go, maybe when Jay was back, but not right now. Our bench is painfully thin in attacking positions.

Personally I just dont think Cork would cut it there, he is decent enough and consistant, but wouldnt have added anything today IMO. We could have done with a Jay or a Gaston, just to add something different

From VillaTalk:

"I don't really care where they are in the league....I thought Southampton were awful."

This chap has it right.

We were garbage tonight but managed to grab a point.

We've played better than that tonight in the last 18 months and lost so I'm taking the positives from this game.

Happy clapper signing off for the night. Sleep tight everyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can't get over how shocking our crosses and set pieces were.

I dont understand why, if a team gets compact and defensive, that you dont mix up your crosses ? We tried far too many floated crosses that Okore and Clark swallowed up, I get that Pellè is a beast but mix it up, swing in some low driven ones, catch em out and keep them guessing

We certainly won't be finishing top 4 now.

I have no problem with opinions, but why do guys always have to be so dogmatic and confident in their opinions? 'Certainly'? How about: 'in my opinion I think "we'll find it difficult", or "it's unlikely" or.. you get the idea. But no.. you have to choose 'certainly'.

Jeez, we didn't play well tonight, a sucker punch (which we all half expected), an error from the goalkeeper and a decent equaliser, but I'm convinced some of you _like_ being disappointed and depressed. I'm a Saints fan, so I often expect the worse, but some of you enjoy it like a hippo in a mudbath.

Bottom line is we really struggled to break a team down - no shame in that but I did feel that in the first half we thought we could play in first gear and win. First half was a game of two keepers - ours made a monumental cock up, theirs produced a world class save . There is another thread on Foster - but my question to my mate was if Forster was capable of making that Guzan save and for me the jury is still out. I was in the end very pleased we created and scored another chance when we did - I thought we were going to be found wanting. Bottom line is if we swapped keepers tonight we would have won 2-0 and everyone would be in 7th heaven. But Forster had plenty of time to make amends - I really want him to prove me wrong as so far I cannot see the hype ( including his England performance). Also thought that Pelle struggled against Clarke - but that happens and he has already shown this season that he can bounce back. As for the decision to play Long instead of Cork, I have no idea why consecutive managers worry about cork - he gas been performing for 3 years now in the prem, he must be a terrible trainer...

It seemed Villa went 1-0 up, parked the bus and clung on. We struggled to break them down and lacked creativity. We've always struggled in games like that, but at least tonight we got that goal to salvage a draw. It's a fair point too, away from home on a cold Monday night in Birmingham. We need to be more creative and clinical against the big boys though.

Cork isnt a no.10 though, nor is schneiderlin or Wanyama

Maybe he coukd have played Tadic behind Pelle (which pre match is what I thought he would do) but not Cork

Koeman did bring on Cork for Davis when he got injured before half time against Leicester, in preference to Long. So, he must have thought it could work with all three of Wanyama, Schneiderlin and Cork on then?

Personally, I was surprised when I saw the team and Cork was not in, and although he's not a natural for the no.10 role, I think he would have linked up the midfield and the forwards better than Long.

For a team to put 9 players behind the ball, AT HOME, shows how far we've come and how much teams respect us. A decent point.

The 8-0 win over Sunderland was great at the time but it has directly led to that situation IMO. We'd better get used to it and still find a way to win.

To be fair to Koeman's starting selection, if we hadn't conceded such a god-aweful first goal to such a god-aweful attacking side, we might well have won that in a canter.

I'm sure Villa couldn't believe their luck, but they buckled down really well to the task of protecting that led by spoiling everything we did. I was impressed by Okore.

We didn't help ourselves by taking a "wide or nothing" approach - and then compounding the problem with poor delivery.

The 8-0 win over Sunderland was great at the time but it has directly led to that situation IMO. We'd better get used to it and still find a way to win.

To be fair to Koeman's starting selection, if we hadn't conceded such a god-aweful first goal to such a god-aweful attacking side, we might well have won that in a canter.

I'm sure Villa couldn't believe their luck, but they buckled down really well to the task of protecting that led by spoiling everything we did. I was impressed by Okore.

We didn't help ourselves by taking a "wide or nothing" approach - and then compounding the problem with poor delivery.

Villa put 10 men behind the ball every game, it's the only thing they're good at, soak it up and hit on the break. We played into their hands.

But as a general point, embarrassing for a club of Villa's stature.

For a team to put 9 players behind the ball, AT HOME, shows how far we've come and how much teams respect us. A decent point.

It already worked for them against us at St Mary's, why wouldn't they?

We looked jaded, passed poorly, gave Pellè no service and had absolutely no options to change it from out "so much more depth than last season" squad. I was more surprised we didn't play Tadić centrally with Long on the right from the start, or (with hindsight and based on a much shorter spell there) Cork in the middle.

I didn't think anyone was particularly terrible, it was an all-round disjointed tempoless effort and I was glad of a point really by the end. And of course Villa just hoofed at Agbonlahor all game, clearing the defensive shield who didn't really need to be there, and I'm sure that we'd have changed it earlier if only we'd had Davis, Ward-Prowse or Rodriguez available

Clyne's going to win Mom by a mile, no-one else got through without a high profile screw up and affected the game as positively as him.

Edited by The9

I do too - in the same way that "worst attack vs best defence" was inevitable, I think us beating City is too.

Not sure if anyone has posted this yet, but I thought Tadic had a poor game. How many corners and freekicks don't produce anything?

Pelle weren't great either.

Our best two players were our best two players so far this season; Clyne and Bertrand; the personification of the top class modern full back.

It already worked for them against us at St Mary's, why wouldn't they?

We looked jaded, passed poorly, gave Pellè no service and had absolutely no options to change it from out "so much more depth than last season" squad. I was more surprised we didn't play Tadić centrally with Long on the right from the start, or (with hindsight and based on a much shorter spell there) Cork in the middle.

I didn't think anyone was particularly terrible, it was an all-round disjointed tempoless effort and I was glad of a point really by the end. And of course Villa just hoofed at Agbonlahor all game, clearing the defensive shield who didn't really need to be there, and I'm sure that we'd have changed it earlier if only we'd had Davis, Ward-Prowse or Rodriguez available

Clyne's going to win Mom by a mile, no-one else got through without a high profile screw up and affected the game as positively as him.

How much must Clyne be worth now? £30m?

I think Gary N nailed it (might have been Jamie though as I was only half listening) in the final analysis, when he said he did not see Shane L as a no. 10 player, and that his strength was more as a diagonal "nuisance" runner, and that we really missed Steve D in that role where he "drifts around the oppositions defense". So we should have had Cork in the Shane role, and Shane in place of Mane, who as others have said was too light weight for the Villa thugs.

Still shows the Black Box is not perfect, and maybe Big Ron is human after all? Still a good point - who would have thought we would be so disappointed at only drawing away to Villa? Life is clearly not too bad these days :)

Just back. Not often you see the away side with four up top and the home side with one.

We were a bit flat tonight, the passing in the final third suffered because we had no runners from midfield for most of the game. High up in the stands you could see how flat our front four were.

Sad to see a club like Villa play so negatively at home. Still, we did not play well but we still managed to dominate the game and came away with a point after giving a daft goal away. Could have been worse.

Just back from VP. Very odd atmosphere tonight- felt like a reserve game at times and I'm sure that contributed to the lacklustre nature of some of our play. That said, we dominated the possession, stuck to our principles and scored a great goal where our two fullbacks were in the opposition box with 10mins to go. My shout for MOTM tonight would be jose who played with a captain's determination all night and even contributed to some of our better chances. We'll play worse and win. Tadic must have been carrying a knock- surely that's why Morgan was on corner duty sometimes?

Just back and still wondering why I paid £41 plus travel plus beer/food etc for that. Worst we have played against the worst team we have played. Weirdly a point was fair though. Pelle, Tadic, Mane, Betrand all didn't have great games and I can only guess that Forster shouted for the through ball/goal. Over all, instantly forgettable. Maybe it will be Sky Sports for this type of game moving forward. Clyne, Fonte, Morgan all had respectable evenings.

With hindsight I think we should have maintained the structure and shape that has worked so well for us - putting Cork in for Davis and keeping either Long or Mané on the bench. It was almost as though we had too much width today.
This. I don't believe we have played this type of formation before.

Long behind Pelle?

Is this the first time Long, Pelle, Tadic and Mane have been on the pitch at the same time? I think so, and it showed. They played as if they were strangers.

Clyne and Bertrand were our saving grace offensively, ironically.

played cr*p, got point

in the past we would have been turned over

As long as we keep the points total ticking over we will be in good shape. It was just one of those games - every team has them. the up side is that was the worst performance this season and we still got something.

Anoying perfomance, personally feel we did not play that bad defensively, poor mistake otherwise we did very well, cleared our lines blocked what was needed and some good tackles.

Attacking wise very poor, can not wait for Jay Rod Davis and JWP to be back and give us better attacking options Morgan Cork and Victor have that holding midfield role set and personally feel not many teams offer better there.

Well, that showed what a valuable player Steve Davis is to us. He is the metronome that makes us tick, has been under-rated since we signed him and last night picking 3 "strikers" instead of the extra MF to replace him back fired.

No critique of RK in that, just our system needs that type of player. Shame as JWP is probably the closest type of player we have to that and none of us would have given Harry Read a try out in a tough away game like that.

Point taken, move on, calms us down a bit

4 points from the last two games where the opposition have done nothing but park the bus. Fair play to Villa, they turned it in to a gritty, stop-start affair and got their point. Not going to get too down hearted. We showed good character to get the equaliser in the circumstances.

Bit of a concern how poor the bench was in an attacking sense with only injuries to Davis and JWP in addition to Rodriguez.

Imagine when Mane and Mayuka aren't there. It will be a serious problem unless we get a couple in on loan during January.

That bench had nothing to change the game and was really a PL bottom half set of options.

Bit of a concern how poor the bench was in an attacking sense with only injuries to Davis and JWP in addition to Rodriguez.

Imagine when Mane and Mayuka aren't there. It will be a serious problem unless we get a couple in on loan during January.

That bench had nothing to change the game and was really a PL bottom half set of options.

We won't be getting anyone on loan in January

International week hangover. A good reason why I don't care if ours get picked.

Villa played 10 back in a home game! They got lucky scoring as had we scored first they were finished. Terrible tactics by a home club but it worked for them.

i felt we would get a result even as the game went on.

it did underline how thin the squad is as I couldn't see much on the bench to change things. Normally we have Long or Mane to come on.

Hopefully Jrod and JWP will be back by time Mane and Mayuka leave. I'm happy for our bench to have room for academy products like Reed, so i'm not in favour of short term loans occupying those spots unless Jrod's breaks down.