Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

Good luck to him but not terribly sad (or surprised) to see him leave.

He's a good player but I don't think he fits into the role Ralph wants his two central midfielders to play.

Glad to get this over the line, and Lemina out too - should give us a chance to get a decent Hojbjerg replacement in.

I'd say that's a good bit of business concluded for Fulham there, 2 decent players on those terms. The last time they come up they spent £100m and went straight back down again. But they will still need more additions to avoid the same again.

Good luck to Reed, hoped he was gonna work out here but never really got or grabbed the opportunity. Good move for him.

12 hours ago, Chez said:

There was room for improvement and a loan was the ideal way. I look forward to seeing how much he has improved.

Lemina could win a couple of games for Fulham. He might lose one or two too trying to do to much to make up for the inadequacies of those around him.

Agree with all of this,  Reed was neat and tidy for them last season, without ever being spectacular.  As for Lamina,  I was at West Brom where he was great and I was at Wembley where he disappeared. If fulham can get the best out of him,  he'll do OK, lots of questions over his injury record and general application though. 

9 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

8m seems a very low fee for a transfer between EPL teams for a 25 year old midfielder, who is likely to be a starter. Seems we cocked up again with contracts......

It isn't a low fee for a player who has only 1 year left of his contract given his lack of Premier League experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

8m seems a very low fee for a transfer between EPL teams for a 25 year old midfielder, who is likely to be a starter. Seems we cocked up again with contracts......

If you measure it in £’s per inch, it’s quite a good deal for us. 

It’s not a cock up at all, he’s not good enough for us so to get anything for him is fine by me. 

1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

If you measure it in £’s per inch, it’s quite a good deal for us. 

It’s not a cock up at all, he’s not good enough for us so to get anything for him is fine by me. 

Much like the Matt Targett transfer last year, some affiliation to a player who has been within the academy setup for years and broken into the first team, but ultimately isn't good enough if we want to show some ambition again and progress in the Premier League, rather than settling on what we have got and he would have been a downgrade on Hojbjerg/Romeu/Ward-Prowse like Targett always was for Bertrand.

8 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

He's been loaned out for years. Throw the loan fees on top of the £8m, and we've done very well out of a lad we produced. 

9 hours ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Why? He hasn’t played a match for us for 3 years. Not quite sure how you work out we’ve cocked up again with contracts where weve sold a player who can’t get near our first team for a reasonable fee. 

Hooiveld was an excellent Championship player. So were Kelvin, Rasiak and Rob Earnshaw. I’m not saying Reed is like those by default but nor do I feel like a gem has slipped through our fingers.

Anyway, good luck to him, I’m confident he will be a bigger hit than Lemina next season.

Good business for Fulham and good business for us I'd say. As regards Fulham - £8m for a player who will go straight into their midfield as a starter and fits into their system nicely. As regards us, £8m for a player who can't get into our first team and doesn't suit our current system. So I think both parties will be pretty happy, plus the lad gets to play regularly and presumably pockets a few quid as well. 

On 31/08/2020 at 20:35, Turkish said:

Why? He hasn’t played a match for us for 3 years. Not quite sure how you work out we’ve cocked up again with contracts where weve sold a player who can’t get near our first team for a reasonable fee. 

Just because a certain player doesn’t suit our style doesn’t devalue his value, Messi might suit our style. Surely the whole point in developing a player is to maximise his value, whether he suits Saints style or not. Next season will reveal whether or not we cocked up with his valuation and contract...

21 minutes ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Just because a certain player doesn’t suit our style doesn’t devalue his value, Messi might suit our style. Surely the whole point in developing a player is to maximise his value, whether he suits Saints style or not. Next season will reveal whether or not we cocked up with his valuation and contract...

He hasn’t suited the style of the four previous managers we’ve had either. Different styles, different seasons different managers. The only consistent is Reed never got a game regularly. Genuinely wish him well though. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...