Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

1 hour ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not sure how you worked that out. You are jumping to conclusions that the terms of the loan mean Saints can't say no.

It was telling after the game to see Reed sitting disconsolately on the turf.......perhaps reflecting that there is uncertainty about where he will play next season.

I would love to see him back playing for Saints but after what he has experienced tonight, and his obvious sense of "belonging" at Fulham, it would almost be cruel to prize him back after several seasons where, in my opinion, we haven't valued his talents enough.

More I see Reed play at Fulham the more I think he's not suited to us. We don't play with a tidy midfielder who sits in front of the back 4 breaking things up and moving it on quickly. The two nearest players we have to that have been declared back up options and overrated in the past week on here. If the manager thinks he can turn him into a dynamic midfielder capable of playing in our 2 then great but if he doesn't, then I'm totally OK with moving him on and letting him have a crack at a career in the Prem at Fulham.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Matthew Le God said:

Not sure how you worked that out. You are jumping to conclusions that the terms of the loan mean Saints can't say no.

No, he’s relying on the report that it’s an “option”. If it’s a genuine option then we can’t say no.

Saw him for Fulham in the play off last night and he's still pretty much the player I remember. Ball came to him a lot when Fulham were controlling and while he looked safe he didn't appear to contribute much other than either moving it sideways or back to the keeper. He also got booked early and hardly saw him make a tackle after that. I think lots of folks have got carried away by the little ginger midfield dynamo stereotype, which on the evidence he only scores 2/3.

• Like 1

Looked good and combative whenever I’ve seen Fulham play on tv. I’d have him back in the squad, personally, but if they offer say  £20m that would be excellent business. JWP simply can’t play every game nest season too. He needs the odd rest. 

"Fulham are keen to take up their option to sign Reed on a permanent deal, although the agreed price will fluctuate significantly based on whether they achieve promotion."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/harrison-reed-interview-fulham-vs-cardiff-championship-playoff-southampton-a9638901.html%3famp

‐-----------------

I guess we have to hope that we agreed an unrealistic option, like asking a Belgian club to pay £8m for Hoedt.

With Fulham promoted and Reed a key player who is flavour of the month you could see them paying OTT for him, similar kind of money to what we got for Targett.

But wouldn't suprise me if the option was more like £8m to £10m which would see us lose out.

I guess we won't know for now, but if you were him then surely you would be keen to stay at Fulham where you are likely to start the PL season in the team.

I've not seen a lot of Fulham (only to watch Reed play). They seem to be a possession based, slow build up, crabbing left to right and backwards team. Very dull, very Puel-ish. I think he would be good back up for Romeu now PEH has gone but he will have to get his head up and be more dynamic (as OR has been since lockdown) to be a success for us.

1 hour ago, DT said:

Looked good and combative whenever I’ve seen Fulham play on tv. I’d have him back in the squad, personally, but if they offer say  £20m that would be excellent business. JWP simply can’t play every game nest season too. He needs the odd rest. 

Like Hojbjerg, Reed's contract also expires in 2021. If we can't get £20m for Hojbjerg we won't get it for Reed.

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

"Fulham are keen to take up their option to sign Reed on a permanent deal, although the agreed price will fluctuate significantly based on whether they achieve promotion."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/football-league/harrison-reed-interview-fulham-vs-cardiff-championship-playoff-southampton-a9638901.html%3famp

‐-----------------

I guess we have to hope that we agreed an unrealistic option, like asking a Belgian club to pay £8m for Hoedt.

With Fulham promoted and Reed a key player who is flavour of the month you could see them paying OTT for him, similar kind of money to what we got for Targett.

But wouldn't suprise me if the option was more like £8m to £10m which would see us lose out.

I guess we won't know for now, but if you were him then surely you would be keen to stay at Fulham where you are likely to start the PL season in the team.

I get what you mean about losing out, but £8-10m would be pure profit as we didn’t pay anything for him & you would imagine the choice of selling him is to raise cash for further signings.

2 hours ago, twopintsnilnil said:

Saw him for Fulham in the play off last night and he's still pretty much the player I remember. Ball came to him a lot when Fulham were controlling and while he looked safe he didn't appear to contribute much other than either moving it sideways or back to the keeper. He also got booked early and hardly saw him make a tackle after that. I think lots of folks have got carried away by the little ginger midfield dynamo stereotype, which on the evidence he only scores 2/3.

I didn't see all of the game, but he was actually quite poor last night, compared with other games I have seen. I guess it was partly to do with the early booking, but he was struggling with some sort of injury in the closing stages. Brentford were also a very effective team going forward so he was up against it anyway. Don't take that performance as a true measure of how effective he has been for them.

45 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I get what you mean about losing out, but £8-10m would be pure profit as we didn’t pay anything for him & you would imagine the choice of selling him is to raise cash for further signings.

Apart from it may not be our choice to sell him.

Assuming we want to keep him, he holds all the cards. He either gets a new contract at Saints and presumably the promise of being considered a genuine first team player (in which case would we actually replace PEH as doing so would revert Reed to a backup role which he doesn't want).

Or he says he would like to join Fulham, and presumably Saints must then sell for whatever the agreed option price was. I think most people would value him considerably higher now than last summer, especially Fulham.

Worst case scenario, it would be a shame to want to keep him and then have the blow of him saying no and then having to sell for much less than he may be worth.

All based on assumptions now, but will surely have an impact on what we do in centre mid transfer wise. Of course, RH may not feel he is quite up to it and be happy to take the cash if used towards someone else.

Update - its an £8m option according to the Telegraph. Could probably have got double that from them I reckon, without the option.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/08/05/harrison-reed-consider-8m-switch-fulham-following-southampton/

Edited by Dusic

12 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Apart from it may not be our choice to sell him.

Assuming we want to keep him, he holds all the cards. He either gets a new contract at Saints and presumably the promise of being considered a genuine first team player (in which case would we actually replace PEH as doing so would revert Reed to a backup role which he doesn't want).

Or he says he would like to join Fulham, and presumably Saints must then sell for whatever the agreed option price was. I think most people would value him considerably higher now than last summer, especially Fulham.

Worst case scenario, it would be a shame to want to keep him and then have the blow of him saying no and then having to sell for much less than he may be worth.

All based on assumptions now, but will surely have an impact on what we do in centre mid transfer wise. Of course, RH may not feel he is quite up to it and be happy to take the cash if used towards someone else.

Update - its an £8m option according to the Telegraph. Could probably have got double that from them I reckon, without the option.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2020/08/05/harrison-reed-consider-8m-switch-fulham-following-southampton/

You do know he has 12 months left on his contract like Hojbjerg? This depreciates his price... so 8m is about right.

4 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

You do know he has 12 months left on his contract like Hojbjerg? This depreciates his price... so 8m is about right.

Fulham spent £30m on Zambo Anguissa so Im sure they would have paid £15m for a key player from their promotion season.

Couldn't read the Telegraph article without agreeing to hand over my firstborn …. but from your comments it sounds like Fulham have the RIGHT to buy him for £8M?

I'd like to think we would try to get him to sign a new contract, but I admit the odds are low and he will prefer to go with Fulham now. Again, get it done and let's see if we have enough in the kitty for this McKennie dude then.

51 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

So potentially 8m for Reed, £15m for PEH. (they both sound like up front fee's as well, so available to us straight away)

£23m to put towards a new midfielder? Should get us McKennie I'd have thought.

Subtract the KWP fee, I suppose.

4 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

Subtract the KWP fee, I suppose.

Good point, so...maybe 13m to play with? Or we could say we're totally broke even with the Salisu transfer.

Would need to shift the likes of Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo and co for fee's before we get anyone else, I imagine.

40 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Good point, so...maybe 13m to play with? Or we could say we're totally broke even with the Salisu transfer.

Would need to shift the likes of Lemina, Hoedt, Carillo and co for fee's before we get anyone else, I imagine.

I reckon Salisu was budgeted for with the Danso option not taken up. 

Those other sales are going to probably not happen :( 

6 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

I reckon Salisu was budgeted for with the Danso option not taken up. 

Those other sales are going to probably not happen :( 

I reckon we'll see KWP, Salisu - new contracts for JWP, Bertrand announced....and then we'll settle with what we have, but keep an eye on the market - that's my hunch.

Any other additions are going to rest solely on our ability to shift Lemina, Vestergaard, Carillo, Hoedt, Boufal etc on permanent deals. So, we may have some money in the bank come the end of the window! We'll have to see what happens...

Edited by S-Clarke

32 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

I reckon we'll see KWP, Salisu - new contracts for JWP, Bertrand announced....and then we'll settle with what we have, but keep an eye on the market - that's my hunch.

Any other additions are going to rest solely on our ability to shift Lemina, Vestergaard, Carillo, Hoedt, Boufal etc on permanent deals. So, we may have some money in the bank come the end of the window! We'll have to see what happens...

I suppose it’s always possible that some of the MSD loan is to help with transfer cash-flow.

9 hours ago, Dusic said:

Fulham spent £30m on Zambo Anguissa so Im sure they would have paid £15m for a key player from their promotion season.

I think they've learnt their lesson from what was a horrible transfer window. They spunked alot of money on players untested at PL level

6 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

8m seems undervalued given how well he did for them. 

That price was set before he did that though :)

I think he was due to miss the season through injury, so the lockdown delay did him (& Fulham) a massive favour.

Good luck to him whatever happens.  I like seeing our academy players do well, regardless of where they are.

2 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

That price was set before he did that though :)

I think he was due to miss the season through injury, so the lockdown delay did him (& Fulham) a massive favour.

Good luck to him whatever happens.  I like seeing our academy players do well, regardless of where they are.

I just think that was an odd decision all round. 

good luck if he goes but frustrating if we end up having to spend a load more on a replacement midfielder.

On 05/08/2020 at 07:27, twopintsnilnil said:

Yes, I watched the game as well and 100% agree with your analysis. Very much the player we remember; slow to think and react, risk averse with the ball and not much creativity. Romeu is twice the player and Harrison is not the cheap option to replace him.

Best all round if he stays at Fulham and we get him off the books.

11 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Yes, I watched the game as well and 100% agree with your analysis. Very much the player we remember; slow to think and react, risk averse with the ball and not much creativity. Romeu is twice the player and Harrison is not the cheap option to replace him.

I'm tending to agree with this now. I admit I was one who was singing his praised after the snippets of post-lockdown games I saw him playing in. He seemed like a different player in those games. But, agree, in the play-offs he did appear to revert-to-type compared to those earlier games I watched. Might just have been play-off nerves kicking in I guess? Who knows, but on balance I think we can probably do better (the McKinnie fella for example) 

2 hours ago, SFC Forever said:

I also thought he had shown an improvement but especially in the playoff final he reverted to type. Maybe he had found the opposition tougher to dictate to.

I wonder if that was because of the change in Fulham's 'usual' tactics, and their players following Scott Parker's instructions? I have seen a few of their games (on TV) this year, and it was definitely a different Fulham (and Brentford, too) to the team that played many of their previous games. I suspect the early booking, too, played its part. Lucky to not be red, in my opinion.

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

It's acknowledged he didn't have the standout impact in that game that he has had in other games. Believed that the early booking affected his game. Previously the reports are that he has been their MoM and surprised Saints can do without him. Let's not judge him on that game alone.

I'd rather keep him than bank £8M and be unable to afford to replace him.

6 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

It's acknowledged he didn't have the standout impact in that game that he has had in other games. Believed that the early booking affected his game. Previously the reports are that he has been their MoM and surprised Saints can do without him. Let's not judge him on that game alone.

I'd rather keep him than bank £8M and be unable to afford to replace him.

A player who has been out on loan and had a handful of games in his years at the club doesn't really need replacing. Jankewitz is basically his replacement already. 

I would rather keep Reed to replace Hojberg and use all of his transfer money elsewhere but £8million is a decent chunk to add onto the £13million we'll have leftover from Hojberg/KWP. If the money for Salisu is already accounted for then that gives us £21million to spend elsewhere. 

3 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

A player who has been out on loan and had a handful of games in his years at the club doesn't really need replacing. Jankewitz is basically his replacement already. 

I would rather keep Reed to replace Hojberg and use all of his transfer money elsewhere but £8million is a decent chunk to add onto the £13million we'll have leftover from Hojberg/KWP. If the money for Salisu is already accounted for then that gives us £21million to spend elsewhere. 

I think the Salisu money will be covered in part by £8m+ in extra prize money, £2.5m VVD top up, plus we might be recieving a top up for WBA (Austin) going up and Villa staying up (Targett and PL appearances).

Starting to recover from the very worst of Les and Ross’s destruction, although quite a way still to go.

Hoedt might be off hopefully, Boufal might be tempting for non PL clubs with a year to go. Lemina, Forster and Carrillo still lumbered but contracts running down from the millstones they were. Vestergaard (fingers crossed) might offer being Leicester’s 4th choice CB to ours. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed