Mane missing Southampton

doddisalegend

Can't see any reason why he won't be in the squad for the Swansea game. I assume someone's booking a flight for him as we speak....?!

There's not another flight scheduled from Equatorial Guinea to Southampton Airport until next week unfortunately

I don't see why he shouldn't be in the squad on Sunday if we want him to come back in short order. He can get a night flight tomorrow to London via Madrid. Chill/sleep on Thursday then training on Fri and Sat.

It's not as though he's been sat on his arse, he's been in a tournament so coming back after two days training shouldn't be a problem.

He should be fine. Under 7 hr flight and samish time zone (+1hr).

Slightly colder I'll grant you.

I swear we've all been brainwashed into believing fatigue of the modern player - not being able to play 2 games in week and needing recovery time spending a few hours in first class on a flight.

Is he still injured? I recall our definition of 'injured and unavailable' was different from Senegal's definition.

I think that the Senegales ' definition of " being fit " probably differs somewhat from that normally required in the Prem *.

I do hope that Mane's outing(s) for Senegal haven't made his injury worse.... otherwise we'll be without him for a while longer.

Quote from Alan Shearer * (in his playing days) ..." there's a lot of difference between being match fit, and being.... fit enough to play ".

Yep, Mane has been on fire in his international appearances...so many assists and goals...he's going to come back and go straight into the team and be the saviour.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

Complete stupid comments. Mane scored 3 in 3 before he went and looked class.

I think that the Senegales ' definition of " being fit " probably differs somewhat from that normally required in the Prem *.

I do hope that Mane's outing(s) for Senegal haven't made his injury worse.... otherwise we'll be without him for a while longer.

Quote from Alan Shearer * (in his playing days) ..." there's a lot of difference between being match fit, and being.... fit enough to play ".

I wonder if we were hoping his injury was bad enough for 2 weeks on the sideline, consiquently ruling him out of African cup?

Also allowing our medical team to assess and treat.

But Senegal throw a spanner in the works

Yep, Mane has been on fire in his international appearances...so many assists and goals...he's going to come back and go straight into the team and be the saviour.

Meanwhile, back in the real world...

What on earth is wrong with you these days? You used to be a decent poster.

I wonder if we were hoping his injury was bad enough for 2 weeks on the sideline, consiquently ruling him out of African cup?

...have to admit that thought had also occured to me, but nevertheless an injury must be treated correctly and at £10 million, he an expensive player for us to have in the treatment room too much.

They weren't able to stop West Ham, despite being unhappy about it....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31000595

They weren't able to stop West Ham, despite being unhappy about it....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31000595

This is what Platini got all excited about with Ribery, although noted that he was retiring: http://metro.co.uk/2014/09/07/michel-platini-threatens-franck-ribery-with-bayern-munich-ban-over-france-international-retirement-4859936/

I can see Senegal's POV on this as it is taking the Mick big time, and I sort of have to side with Platini. I just wonder (in a rhetorical manner) whether he will spring into action in this case.

FIFA should have had this properly nailed down for years but are obviously too busy worrying about politics.

IMHO if a player withdraws from an international competition through injury they shouldn't be allowed to participate in domestic fixtures until the international tournament is over (or until their team is knocked out at any rate). Otherwise this kind of crap is just going to keep on happening with the "non-summer" continental tournaments.

FIFA should have had this properly nailed down for years but are obviously too busy worrying about politics.

IMHO if a player withdraws from an international competition through injury they shouldn't be allowed to participate in domestic fixtures until the international tournament is over (or until their team is knocked out at any rate). Otherwise this kind of crap is just going to keep on happening with the "non-summer" continental tournaments.

I believe there is such a rule.

Anyway Senegal will probably complain to Fifa and we will see what they will do.

He should be fine. Under 7 hr flight and samish time zone (+1hr).

Slightly colder I'll grant you.

I swear we've all been brainwashed into believing fatigue of the modern player - not being able to play 2 games in week and needing recovery time spending a few hours in first class on a flight.

I never understand this perspective. This isn't a case of the player complaining he's too tired, or too jet lagged to want to play. This will be sports scientists ruling that he's not at peak condition, so when playing against elite athletes who are in peak condition, he may well under perform. Unless you know something I don't know?

I never understand this perspective. This isn't a case of the player complaining he's too tired, or too jet lagged to want to play. This will be sports scientists ruling that he's not at peak condition, so when playing against elite athletes who are in peak condition, he may well under perform. Unless you know something I don't know?

I do yes that sports science is overrated. FFS they run around 12k. Oh but the game is so different now, so much faster.

How was all teh sports science stats on Chelsea players before Bradford or Utd before Cambridge game.

As I said brainwashed.

I do yes that sports science is overrated. FFS they run around 12k. Oh but the game is so different now, so much faster.

How was all teh sports science stats on Chelsea players before Bradford or Utd before Cambridge game.

As I said brainwashed.

A massive part of our success over the last few years has been built on sports science and analysis. It's an important part of any elite and professional sport yet you say it's overated? Are you Harry Redknapp?

A massive part of our success over the last few years has been built on sports science and analysis. It's an important part of any elite and professional sport yet you say it's overated? Are you Harry Redknapp?

You know this? Fine lines sunshine. If we get relegated one day do you think it is because we took our eye off teh sports science? Or possibly unvacuumed microfibres got into the lungs.

As long as we all read Steve Peters we'll all be winners. Lap it up

You know this? Fine lines sunshine. If we get relegated one day do you think it is because we took our eye off teh sports science? Or possibly unvacuumed microfibres got into the lungs.

Since we don't know when we are going to be relegated next, it is kind of difficult to predict why. That being said, I will boldly predict that the next time Southampton gets relegated it will be because we have stopped doing certain things we are now doing or failed to start doing new things that we should have realized needed to be done. And good sports science might be one or both of those things. But it might not.

Also, I think vacuumed microfibers might also be bad for the lungs.

WHY DID WE STOP WASHING OUR OWN HOTEL BED LINEN FFS?