Toby

washsaint

I had heard (from the same person who told me that Bertrand was a done deal) that we were expecting to sign Toby and had budgeted for it.

I am sure things can change, but I remain glass half full on him joining us for the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eeek, don't toy with me like that!

I'm not going to get my hopes up until it's done. Would be made up if he stays, but still think it's unlikely.

Hadn't thought of it like that. Someone will have the stats no doubt.

In the Palace game Morgan was coming too deep to get the ball from Fonte and Yoshida as if they werent capable of playing a 10 yard pass. In the first half 67% of his touches were in our half and he only entered the oppo penalty area 3 times all match.

Toby's quality on the ball enables us to play out of a good organisation and get good ball position. He also has good spirit IMO. A valuable combination.

In the Palace game Morgan was coming too deep to get the ball from Fonte and Yoshida as if they werent capable of playing a 10 yard pass. In the first half 67% of his touches were in our half and he only entered the oppo penalty area 3 times all match.

Toby's quality on the ball enables us to play out of a good organisation and get good ball position. He also has good spirit IMO. A valuable combination.

Agree to an extent but one CM has always dropped deep to collect the ball. The fact that TA might bring the ball up a few more yards has very little bearing on whether the midfielders make runs into the box or go beyond Pelle. If anything, TA helps our fullbacks more. And as opposing teams have men behind the ball, the CMs have been much further up the pitch anyway.

Arguably the position of our CMs owes more to conservatism and the recognition over the season that we don't need to open ourselves up to win games. After all, many of Morgan and Vic's goals came when TA wasn't playing and we were still working out an identity and formula for winning games. Now teams are learning to stifle us, it can be hard for the CMs suddenly to change gear, as Morgan pointed out.

Edited by shurlock

Play out of a good organisation? Are you actually Ronald Koeman?

Last season he was playing in the champions of Spain team, in CL final.

We were tipped for relegation.

He can here.

His club negotiated the best fee they could.

He has played 15 games.

We are now one of top sides in England.

I suggest we have moved forward more than he has....so why would a few suddenly be a huge amount more than agreed, why is it beyond us to keep him.

He wants to play for Koeman.

More likely he stays than goes IMHO.

Athletico can buy out the clause and take him back, but they can't force him to sign for anyone. He could just sit on their books for the next 2 years.

By the sound of things, he has been bitten once by a big club, losing his first team place and now he wants first team football. Maybe he trusts Ron to give it to him.

genuinely very very happy if he stays... and for me, it would soften the pain of losing Morgan...I'd go as far as to say... if we coudl only keep one.. I'd keep Toby (based upon we'd get decent money for Morgan)....AND... he wants to play for the club... although wil be much more comfortable when teh deal is done...

Last season he was playing in the champions of Spain team, in CL final.

We were tipped for relegation.

He can here.

His club negotiated the best fee they could.

He has played 15 games.

We are now one of top sides in England.

I suggest we have moved forward more than he has....so why would a few suddenly be a huge amount more than agreed, why is it beyond us to keep him.

He wants to play for Koeman.

More likely he stays than goes IMHO.

I would say about 70-30 that he stays............the media seem to be trying to de-stabalize the club again

If we have an option to buy would we not have bought him in January. I guess the owning club must have said no and re-negotiation will take place at the end of the loan spell.

Is Alderweireld as important to us as Morgan?

But we did not have bought him in Jan.

Well, if nothing else, the noises from Toby in the Echo have been very encouraging. Says a lot for the way the club is being run, and the ambition being transmitted to the players.

I think it helps if the manager is on the same page as the board and the owner, which was clearly not the case during the second half of last season.

Well, if nothing else, the noises from Toby in the Echo have been very encouraging. Says a lot for the way the club is being run, and the ambition being transmitted to the players.

Have to wait and see what happens at the end of the season ........my guess .......Toby 70-30 to stay, Morgan 60-40, Clyne 50-50.

Can Toby do the free kicks for always now please

Toby seems to be our most versatile player. He can play CB, midfield, take shots well and take good set pieces. Did not realise until today how much we've missed him as Yoshi has been doing a great job in defence, but Toby just one-ups him on the amount of class he brings.

Why aren't the under 21's using McCarthy at right back in preparation for this then? The club actually appear to view McCarthy as a centre back.

Whenever I watch the u21 highlights he seems to be played as a mixture of CB and RB tbf :)

Clyne is leaving. Huge fee agreed and McCarthy has been informed he will be viewed as first choice next season. Fact.

Although clyne leaving is going to happen.

But this lad who hardly makes the bench, will all of a sudden be 1st choice RB?

WTF???!!! Would need to be awesome to be anything like clyne was/is (which I doubt he is)

Clyne is leaving. Huge fee agreed and McCarthy has been informed he will be viewed as first choice next season. Fact.

None of your claims are facts--although they might all end up happening in the future. However, if Clyne goes we are likely to buy replacement rather than automatically award the position to a U21 player.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if Clyne stayed one more year and left on a free. Certainly, that would be the best deal for the player himself.

None of your claims are facts--although they might all end up happening in the future. However, if Clyne goes we are likely to buy replacement rather than automatically award the position to a U21 player.

Frankly, I would not be surprised if Clyne stayed one more year and left on a free. Certainly, that would be the best deal for the player himself.

Nope. He is going up north for big money.

Rubbish. McCarthy doesn't even play right back.

Why aren't the under 21's using McCarthy at right back in preparation for this then? The club actually appear to view McCarthy as a centre back.

Wow what a shock! McCarthy starts for the U21s at right back. Who would have thunk it.

what a huge step back if McCarthy is going to be first choice when Clyne goes. In a position where we are short anyway, getting big money for the outgoing player and a position that is so important with how we play...

just cant see him being our first choice RB after hardly making the bench this season

what a huge step back if McCarthy is going to be first choice when Clyne goes. In a position where we are short anyway, getting big money for the outgoing player and a position that is so important with how we play...

just cant see him being our first choice RB after hardly making the bench this season

Wasn't that the same for Luke shaw?

Why is it a step back? I would trust the judgement of our staff tbh considering their excellent record at judging ability.