Toby

washsaint

Why didn't we sign this kid instead of Toby?!?

Is this the same guy who signed with Valencia three days ago?

http://www.beinsports.tv/news/title/valencia-agree-rodrigo-caio-deal-with-sao-paulo/article/qccuq1h39qe61oacczfr76zom

Maybe we can still sign him.

Actually, I doubt we could sign him because he would not be eligible for a work permit. He has no caps.

Hmmm. Toby's said his main motivation is to be playing and not back on the bench as with his season in Madrid. I can't see Chelsea dropping Terry or Cahill so it'll be interesting to see how.this pans out. There's been quite a bit about Atletico wanting Luis back so I imagine this would be tempting for them.

I can easily see cahill being dropped. was losing his mojo for quite a bit of the springtime and there were rumours back then that mourinho was losing confidence in him

Hmmm. Toby's said his main motivation is to be playing and not back on the bench as with his season in Madrid. I can't see Chelsea dropping Terry or Cahill so it'll be interesting to see how.this pans out. There's been quite a bit about Atletico wanting Luis back so I imagine this would be tempting for them.

Surely they could just buy Luis back if they sold Toby anyway?

I'm not too sure this will pan out: 1) its in the Daily Star and 2) as others have said, his main motivation seems to be first team football which he is in no way guaranteed at Chelsea.

Surely they could just buy Luis back if they sold Toby anyway?

I'm not too sure this will pan out: 1) its in the Daily Star and 2) as others have said, his main motivation seems to be first team football which he is in no way guaranteed at Chelsea.

Theres also rumours of a swap Toby for Luis. Transfer makes zero sense in my eyes, we've just signed Bertrand to a long deal and we now sign another, older, less consistent LB from the same club.

Theres also rumours of a swap Toby for Luis. Transfer makes zero sense in my eyes, we've just signed Bertrand to a long deal and we now sign another, older, less consistent LB from the same club.

A swap deal would have nothing to do with us, Toby is not our player. Luis would be going back to Atletico in exchange for Toby.

Alderweireld is an A.Madrid player, Luis is a Chelsea player; any swap deal wouldn't involve Southampton other than A.Madrid paying the clause in the loan deal. What does Bertrand have to do with it?

Alderweireld is an A.Madrid player, Luis is a Chelsea player; any swap deal wouldn't involve Southampton other than A.Madrid paying the clause in the loan deal. What does Bertrand have to do with it?

Did you have to? You could see the post above yours already explained this, surely?

yup, very good point . didnt think it through

I read that chelsea were interested in toby and would offer luis in return. which would seem unlikely as I can't think saints would be interested in another LB

You're kind of missing the major point here.

Toby is not our player. Madrid can do whatever they want with him. We just borrowed him for a few months.

You're kind of missing the major point here.

Toby is not our player. Madrid can do whatever they want with him. We just borrowed him for a few months.

edited having noticed the major elephant in the room :)

From the Telegraph:

"La Liga side left in limbo while Jose Mourinho considers other options."

"Alderweireld has been told by Atlético that Chelsea are interested in signing him, but the player fears the Spanish club are using the Premier League champions as a way to try to drive his price up."

"Tottenham Hotspur and Southampton, where Alderweireld spent last season on loan, are also interested in the 26-year-old but are waiting to see Chelsea’s next move."

A bit about him in The Times today. Basically, Chelsea are interested, we will take up the option of buying him for about £7m but Atletico will then take up their option to exercise a counter-clause and cancel our agreement by giving us £2m if he moves to another side. Atletico think he's worth upwards of £15m amid strong interest from Tottenham who are willing to offer the likes of Capoue and Soldado as part of the deal. Make of this what you will.

Why is it that all Tottenham's deals seem to include some sort of player swap...they want Schneiderlin we get Townsend, they want Toby AM get Capoue/Soldado. Are they feeling a bit of a financial squeeze with stadium plans?

Why is it that all Tottenham's deals seem to include some sort of player swap...they want Schneiderlin we get Townsend, they want Toby AM get Capoue/Soldado. Are they feeling a bit of a financial squeeze with stadium plans?

Or that most of their squad is deemed surplus to requirements so are trying to ship them out.

I'm not quite sure why Spurs think players, they deem not good enough, would seem like a fair swap for actual quality players. It would be like saints trying to get Chelsea to part with Remy and offering them Mayuka in exchange.

I'm not quite sure why Spurs think players, they deem not good enough, would seem like a fair swap for actual quality players. It would be like saints trying to get Chelsea to part with Remy and offering them Mayuka in exchange.

A 24 year old current Zambian international for a 28 year old player that hasn't played for France in nearly a year? We'd be getting screwed on that deal. :-)

I hope we hear about the Toby situation soon one way or another, if we don't sign him it means we can crack on with finding a decent replacement.

They're still feeling it from their mega-spend a few seasons ago. It turned out that they bought a load of utter dross. They don't have £25m to spend on single players anymore, which is why they're using it as an opportunity to throw some of their unwanted players into deals. And one of the reasons Mitchell was bought in - to try and unearth gems at lower costs.

In a way, through all of this, I feel a little sorry for Toby. It seems as if A.Madrid are playing games with him, and trying to use him in their pursuit for other players. He just wants his future sorted out, but they're not making it easy.

Complete garbage. Soldado was a massive hit in Spain and is a reasonable bargaining chip. Nothing like Mayuka.

Complete garbage. Soldado was a massive hit in Spain and is a reasonable bargaining chip. Nothing like Mayuka.

Very true. But would Atletico need Soldado based on their current forward options? Capoue wouldn't be much more than squad filler for them either.

Very true. But would Atletico need Soldado based on their current forward options? Capoue wouldn't be much more than squad filler for them either.

Depends. Reports suggest that Griezmann and/or Mandzukic are on their way out and they're after a replacement.

Edited by shurlock

Only thing I've been told is that Toby really likes it at Saints, and his missus loves living here.

I reckon there's a deal to be done.

It must really put doubt in the mind of players like Schneiderlin and Clyne if players like Bertrand and Toby want to stay at Southampton. They know they could be pipped at the post for Champions League football at Liverpool and Spurs by Saints......

It must really put doubt in the mind of players like Schneiderlin and Clyne if players like Bertrand and Toby want to stay at Southampton. They know they could be pipped at the post for Champions League football at Liverpool and Spurs by Saints......

Except Bertrand and Toby (if he stays) aren't here because they think we're getting into the Champions League ahead of Liverpool and Spurs. They're here because they can't get regular football at Champions League clubs.

A team with Toby, Fonte, Wanyama and Morgan is going to be difficult for anyone to beat. If we sign Toby and keep Morgan, I reckon we could have an even better side next season. No reason why we couldn't finish higher than Spurs or Liverpool.

I agree, but I don't think either will still be here next season.