Toby

washsaint

I'd absolutely love him to sign here permanently. Not only is he a Rolls Royce of a centre-back, but it's his versatility that would be missed by us. 2nd choice right-back, as well as next in-line if Big Vic or Morgan aren't around.

He'd leave us with more than one position to replace.

A further complication is a potential transfer ban that Atletico Madrid may face which would make it even harder to sign him. .

Is it possible that this may help us? We already have a "contract" in place so we're the only club who would be able to buy?

I'd absolutely love him to sign here permanently. Not only is he a Rolls Royce of a centre-back, but it's his versatility that would be missed by us. 2nd choice right-back, as well as next in-line if Big Vic or Morgan aren't around.

He'd leave us with more than one position to replace.

Absolutely. He's not just a CB for us, he's an additional DM and a right back. As you said, he's 3 players in one.....

He'd be 4th choice at Chelsea I imagine, but they probably see him in the same way as us - cover at RB, cover in CM. Bit of a jack of all trades for them, but I doubt he'd go there as a regular starter - especially with Zouma waiting in the wings also. I honestly believe that Toby will only go to a club whereby he is seen as a key player and an important player, who plays every week if fit.

The difference with Toby is that he's tried a big club (A.Madrid) and hasn't been a regular there. He's already on decent $$ there and I doubt Chelsea will throw 100k+ at him, as they'd see him as a squad player. I'm somewhat still confident we can keep him, but it will drag I reckon.

Is it possible that this may help us? We already have a "contract" in place so we're the only club who would be able to buy?

I think the problem is more that his parent club couldn't buy any replacements so it wouldn't be in their interest to sell players when they can't replace them.

Edited by doddisalegend

Absolutely. He's not just a CB for us, he's an additional DM and a right back. As you said, he's 3 players in one.....

He'd be 4th choice at Chelsea I imagine, but they probably see him in the same way as us - cover at RB, cover in CM. Bit of a jack of all trades for them, but I doubt he'd go there as a regular starter - especially with Zouma waiting in the wings also. I honestly believe that Toby will only go to a club whereby he is seen as a key player and an important player, who plays every week if fit.

The difference with Toby is that he's tried a big club (A.Madrid) and hasn't been a regular there. He's already on decent $$ there and I doubt Chelsea will throw 100k+ at him, as they'd see him as a squad player. I'm somewhat still confident we can keep him, but it will drag I reckon.

Yep he has been pretty clear that he wants to be a regular 1st teamer where ever he goes he wants to play. This gives me slight hope that we might still get him back as here he is pretty much the first name on the team sheet something not guaranteed at some of the really big clubs.

He's been quoted saying:

“There are three options - stay with Atletico, stay with Southampton or go to another club. So we will see what happens."

Now the Euros are coming up, and players want to be playing, so he has to weigh things up.

Madrid - Champs League but questionable whether he get regular starts, same as with Chelsea. At least we can offer the chance of European football even if it is at a lower level. Wages might be an issue. Apparently he was on €5m or so at Madrid!! Chelsea could of course easily match that but not sure we would stretch to £65-70k per week.

He's been quoted saying:

“There are three options - stay with Atletico, stay with Southampton or go to another club. So we will see what happens."

Now the Euros are coming up, and players want to be playing, so he has to weigh things up.

Madrid - Champs League but questionable whether he get regular starts, same as with Chelsea. At least we can offer the chance of European football even if it is at a lower level. Wages might be an issue. Apparently he was on €5m or so at Madrid!! Chelsea could of course easily match that but not sure we would stretch to £65-70k per week.

Although they were Cortese deals, Gaston and Osvaldo are on roughly that apparently. We've freed up a bit of wages in releasing 6 players. One or both of Clyne and Morgan will free up more and if we can manage to offload one or both of the Cortese boys then that leaves a fair bit to play with.

I'd say he's worth it.

All sounds like Atletico trying to drum up interest, Chelsea are supposed to be running after a CB from Stuttgart who'd cost far less than Toby I expect. That's the trouble these days, top,top clubs aren't only looking at the biggest names, they're looking for the best value and anyone overpriced will get left on the shelf, possibly until the selling club knock down the price, possibly until the next window. Look at Milner, I mean he's a good player right enough but he's also a free agent, which makes him highly desirable at even way over the salary that he'd usually merit..

All sounds like Atletico trying to drum up interest, Chelsea are supposed to be running after a CB from Stuttgart who'd cost far less than Toby I expect. That's the trouble these days, top,top clubs aren't only looking at the biggest names, they're looking for the best value and anyone overpriced will get left on the shelf, possibly until the selling club knock down the price, possibly until the next window. Look at Milner, I mean he's a good player right enough but he's also a free agent, which makes him highly desirable at even way over the salary that he'd usually merit..

Atletcio are also considering selling Miranda in this window, who Chelsea have also been monitoring apparently.

This one will run and run, I guess it will be up to the club to decide when to move away and onto a replacement.

Atletcio are also considering selling Miranda in this window, who Chelsea have also been monitoring apparently.

This one will run and run, I guess it will be up to the club to decide when to move away and onto a replacement.

Miranda is a work permit problem in waiting, the German bloke and Toby aren't. These new rules are going to bite into the number of transfers concerning non EU players who aren't regular internationals. At equal price clubs are going to go for the simple solution.

Miranda is a work permit problem in waiting, the German bloke and Toby aren't. These new rules are going to bite into the number of transfers concerning non EU players who aren't regular internationals. At equal price clubs are going to go for the simple solution.

Let's be honest, work permits are rarely a problem for top flight teams. The powers that be usually find a way to force it through.

Let's be honest, work permits are rarely a problem for top flight teams. The powers that be usually find a way to force it through.

We'll have to see how it pans out when the first few applications start to go through. Can't even remember what the conditions were actually fixed at in the end.

CGea2xPW0AA14qj.jpg

Kristof Terreur ‏@HLNinEngeland · 1 hr1 hour ago

Atlético have offered Alderweireld to Chelsea, but his agent didn't get a call. All options still open. #thfc #cfc

Kristof Terreur ‏@HLNinEngeland · 1 min1 minute ago

Southampton took up the option to buy Alderweireld for around £6.8million, but Atletico will revoke that by paying £1,5m to #SaintsFC.

I see in the Metro they are saying that Chelsea are going to hijack our attempt to get Toby by offering 7 million for him. Wouldn't that actually net Madrid less money, once they've paid us the 1.5 million fee, than selling to us?

Yeah, they'd have to clear £8.3m to 'break-even'. If that does indeed happen, you'd either have to A) question who the Hell is running Atlético, or B) assume Toby pushed for Chelsea, hence the hierarchy having to take a financial hit. At that price, surely they'd prefer to sell him to us, rather than a (potential) Champions League rival?

......will be interesting to see how Les Reed handles this one. He's been pretty shrewd up and until now.....so how are you gonna' play this one, Les ?.

There's been so much media on this, you don't know what to believe, but if he hadn't been " ours" for a loan season, and we were in for him...how much would we offer?

well...considering that we paid out £12 million-ish for Gaston R....and then the fiasco " Pochettino deal " for Osvaldo....I think it's about time we started playing hardball in the transfer market because Toby has real class and we'd be daft not to try and get / keep him.

Time will tell.

......will be interesting to see how Les Reed handles this one. He's been pretty shrewd up and until now.....so how are you gonna' play this one, Les ?.

There's been so much media on this, you don't know what to believe, but if he hadn't been " ours" for a loan season, and we were in for him...how much would we offer?

well...considering that we paid out £12 million-ish for Gaston R....and then the fiasco " Pochettino deal " for Osvaldo....I think it's about time we started playing hardball in the transfer market because Toby has real class and we'd be daft not to try and get / keep him.

Time will tell.

"Playing hardball" - there's a throwback to the days of Rupert.

Only problem is that we simply don't hold the better cards in the case of Toby so we're not in a position to exercise any muscle or real influence.

"Playing hardball" - there's a throwback to the days of Rupert.

Only problem is that we simply don't hold the better cards in the case of Toby so we're not in a position to exercise any muscle or real influence.

Yep its not like we are trying to force some little club (like Brighton for example) to sell us a player.

I don't see it as a disaster, but maybe an opportunity.

Sure, would be great if we could hold on to him, but if not, we gain £1.5m and Atletico gain a shed load more than the £6.8m they would have got selling to us. One thing, as mentioned, that people are not taking into account is his wage. He is on a reported €5m a year at Madrid, something that they can't sustain and we possibly would be unwilling to do. Both Chelsea and Spurs would be able to accommodate him at that level.

So the opportunity....other big foreign clubs might see, presuming he is sold elsewhere for say £15m, how much we have increased his value. I guess a bit like what also happened with Lovren's value. They then might be willing to enter similar arrangements, where we get them free/cheap/paid for a season's loan in order to put them in the shop window for other clubs to come in and buy at higher prices.

Yeah, they'd have to clear £8.3m to 'break-even'. If that does indeed happen, you'd either have to A) question who the Hell is running Atlético, or B) assume Toby pushed for Chelsea, hence the hierarchy having to take a financial hit. At that price, surely they'd prefer to sell him to us, rather than a (potential) Champions League rival?

Or maybe, just a longshot i know, some media stories about the big clubs signing whoever are complete ****e?

Interesting find that, written by our friend Wilson. He seems to get leaked legitimate stuff every now and then.

Sounds like we're still positive on Toby. Will play out for a while.

Good to see we're willing to offer £11m. Hopefully more if it came to it.

He also mentions Stekelenburg so looks like that is a goer...

Interesting find that, written by our friend Wilson. He seems to get leaked legitimate stuff every now and then.

Sounds like we're still positive on Toby. Will play out for a while.

Toby probably worth whatever we pay. He was great for us.

Yeah, Wilson's stuff is normally well sourced. Found it interesting that the echo seem to be fed stuff as well now which is good because last summer pretty much nothing was coming out of the club officially it seemed.

Toby probably worth whatever we pay. He was great for us.

Yeah, Wilson's stuff is normally well sourced. Found it interesting that the echo seem to be fed stuff as well now which is good because last summer pretty much nothing was coming out of the club officially it seemed.

I'd make him our record signing to be honest. Wouldn't have any qualms about spending £15m on him

Gone are the days of the 11pm club announcements, so the echo couldn't print....Cortese was a right vindictive idiot.

Also sounds like the Clyne scenario will rumble on.

We ideally need a cover RB anyway in addition to a first choice but doubt we will go for anyone until we know the deal with Clyne.

Yeah, Les Reed said in an interview a little while ago that we needed a right-back to compete with Clyney anyway so lets get one in.

Yeah, Les Reed said in an interview a little while ago that we needed a right-back to compete with Clyney anyway so lets get one in.

we shd get in trippier for 3.5M (rls clause) it's a no brainer at that price!!....

Sorry but that entire story could have been cribbed from posts on here, nothing new there at all.

Give over. Reads to me like Wilson has had a nice chat with Les Reed, or someone else senior at the club.