Toby

washsaint

Are people seriously suggesting that we are doing better without him? Ludicrious.

Put it this way, who thinks that Toby would have made the same dubious headed clearance as Maya that fell to Berahino ?

Class players have that little something extra which enables them to do the right thing 99.5% of the time.

Put it this way, who thinks that Toby would have made the same dubious headed clearance as Maya that fell to Berahino ?

Class players have that little something extra which enables them to do the right thing 99.5% of the time.

Exactly. Maya has come on well but the idea of comparing the two is a bit laughable. Hence how ones linked with City and one, well isn't.

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11700/9750146/toby-alderweireld-unsure-of-southampton-future-and-predicts-hectic-summer

"Southampton's on-loan defender Toby Alderweireld admits he has no idea where he will be plying his trade next season.

Alderweireld, 26, joined Saints on a season-long loan from Spanish champions Atletico Madrid last summer.

The Belgium international has figured prominently under Ronald Koeman, and Southampton have an option to make his deal permanent in the summer, although Atletico can pay a small fee to negate that clause.

Either way, the defender says he is yet to make a decision on his future.

“In any case, that they speak well of one does not hurt anyone. If they speak well of me that signifies that I am having a good season,” Alderweireld told Fan magazine.

“I am not going to hide it – it is nice to read this kind of stuff. I feel good in the Premier League, but I have no idea about any concrete interest.

"Atletico can make me return because I still have two more years on my contract, Southampton can buy me, another club can make an offer…

“It seems, at least, that it is going to be another hectic summer for me.”"

hmm.

Indeed. I wasn't a big fan of Maya but accept he hasn't had a bad season this year. However, he does make errors that lead to goals that a better player wouldn't make - that header being a prime example. You don't put a clearance in the danger zone.

Indeed. I wasn't a big fan of Maya but accept he hasn't had a bad season this year. However, he does make errors that lead to goals that a better player wouldn't make - that header being a prime example. You don't put a clearance in the danger zone.

He's had a reasonable season but when up against cases like Dawson he's a bit soft centred still. He made that awful clearance because he couldn't handle Dawson's aggression, Toby ? well Dawson would have probably limped away from the challenge with a dead leg or something and the ball would probably have gone where Toby wanted it to go.

He's had a reasonable season but when up against cases like Dawson he's a bit soft centred still. He made that awful clearance because he couldn't handle Dawson's aggression, Toby ? well Dawson would have probably limped away from the challenge with a dead leg or something and the ball would probably have gone where Toby wanted it to go.

Probably don't mean the same as certainly :)

It was a contested header, not a clean clearance.

Anyway Gardos was just as, if not more at fault for the goal. He dropped off Berahino in the area, gormlessly ballwatching such that he was caught on his heels when the ball came back out. No excuses as there was nobody else in the danger area to pick up or worry about, except Ideye who was covered by Fonte.

It was a contested header, not a clean clearance.

Anyway Gardos was just as, if not more at fault for the goal. He dropped off Berahino in the area, gormlessly ballwatching such that he was caught on his heels when the ball came back out. No excuses as there was nobody else in the danger area to pick up or worry about, except Ideye who was covered by Fonte.

Gardos really isn't a very good player, I mean he's average but for the fee we might have done better.

Think Gardos is pretty shocking to be honest. Yoshi has come on leaps and bounds though, Koeman can no doubt improve Gardos.

Still expect Toby to play Sunday though, whether thats in a two or in a 3.

I think if Koeman doesn't see improvement in Gardos between now and the end of the season and Stephens and Turnbull do well in pre-season, and that's even with not knowing Toby's future and any new signings if he goes elsewhere, I wouldn't be surprised if he was loaned out to the Championship to sharpen up a bit. He was superb at Old Trafford for 70 minutes so he can play at this level but his concentration - as evidenced v Palace and Stoke in the cups - is seriously lacking at times.

Think Gardos is pretty shocking to be honest. Yoshi has come on leaps and bounds though, Koeman can no doubt improve Gardos.

Still expect Toby to play Sunday though, whether thats in a two or in a 3.

Gardos has had a few good games and a few bad but as with Maya I don't think you really get to see the best out of any central defender without them having a consistent run of games!

Nabil Hassan @NabilHassan79

"If I could choose then of course I would like to stay here," Alderweireld told @solentsport: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31873471

Atletico Madrid's Toby Alderweireld wants Southampton stay

"It's not up to me," Alderweireld added. "Atletico could decide that they want me back. I have two years left there so it is difficult for me to answer the question.

"I'm enjoying the Premier League, I'm enjoying playing for Southampton - I love the club and I love the fans.

Can I be the first to slam Les Reed for not being able to close the deal for a player who wants to sign. He is useless can't sell the club to anyone and doesn't know what he's doing*

*assuming the deal doesn't happen

Interesting he says Atletico will have the final say. If City for example put a serious bid in then AM would want to accept that and buy out our clause.

Would be amazing to keep him here.

He probably knows that 6.5 million £ is a ridiculously low price for him and that Atletico will want more. Although he does say he could well end up back in Madrid.

That's very promising. Surprised to hear that, as I feel he could comfortably get game time at a team higher than us in the football hierarchy.

As Windows rightly says, the agreed price is ridiculously low for a player of his quality. I'd be happy for the club to pay above that if it meant securing his services permanently. Would hope he had a better season staying fit though!

can i be the first to say that maybe he already knows what is on the table, and its a big bid from a top side. So he knows that AM will buy out his clause with us, sell him to a top side.

He's happy enough with that, but also it enables him to say that he would like to stay here and it's out of his hands, so we all think he's a top guy and he gets to join a big CL side anyway.

Maybe i'm just cynical

can i be the first to say that maybe he already knows what is on the table, and its a big bid from a top side. So he knows that AM will buy out his clause with us, sell him to a top side.

He's happy enough with that, but also it enables him to say that he would like to stay here and it's out of his hands, so we all think he's a top guy and he gets to join a big CL side anyway.

Maybe i'm just cynical

Quite possible and I would say a version of that is probably true.

Maybe i'm just cynical

Well no - we could feasibly match the 'big bid' - if we paid 12m for Shane Long then we can go in big for a player like Toby (who realistically, nobody is going to pay more than 15-20m for). If we do that then he would have to go back on what he has said.

Why can't some people just accept promising news for what it is? Saints fans = eternal pessimists.

Maybe i'm just cynical

I know that this is a Solent interview so sort of specific to Saints but in the earlier Sky/Fan magazine interview I don't think he said much at all about wanting to stay with Saints. So could be a good thing or just kowtowing to the average Saints fan to get an easier ride from the crowd for the last few home game....then again I'm a bigger cynic than St Crinny.

Well no - we could feasibly match the 'big bid' - if we paid 12m for Shane Long then we can go in big for a player like Toby (who realistically, nobody is going to pay more than 15-20m for). If we do that then he would have to go back on what he has said.

Why can't some people just accept promising news for what it is? Saints fans = eternal pessimists.

In fact you have no idea what we can match or can't match. KBilly told us that we did not have the wherewithal to sign a striker in January and he's not one for making up crap just for the sake of it. I'd expect arrivals to be funded from sales as they were last summer, we have 2 potential sales and 3 or 4 places that need strengthening so doubt if we'll be blowing mega money on one player.

To be fair though, if City come in he will go there.

He says he would like to stay and I believe him, he probably does, why wouldn't he?

Bit he would also be happy to sign for a top Champions League club.

Just have to wait and see. Big positive that he would consider staying. But lots to happen before that occurs of course.

In fact you have no idea what we can match or can't match. KBilly told us that we did not have the wherewithal to sign a striker in January and he's not one for making up crap just for the sake of it. I'd expect arrivals to be funded from sales as they were last summer, we have 2 potential sales and 3 or 4 places that need strengthening so doubt if we'll be blowing mega money on one player.

...and neither do you. My point is more 'it is quite possible that we could match the bid that a big club is willing to make'.

KBilly said we didn't have the wherewithal to sign a striker in January but he didn't give much detail. Maybe the right player wasn't available at the right price.

To be fair though, if City come in he will go there.

He says he would like to stay and I believe him, he probably does, why wouldn't he?

Bit he would also be happy to sign for a top Champions League club.

Just have to wait and see. Big positive that he would consider staying. But lots to happen before that occurs of course.

My last post so all I will say until tomorrow!

My only thought is that if City were coming in he'd likely know about it or at least have a fairly strong indication of it.

My question is why say what he has said if he would actually prefer to go to one of the big boys. It's fairly certain there will be a lot of interest and he could just have said that he'd see what happened/wait until the summer but he didn't, he said he wanted to stay with us.

We will have to wait and see, but if he were holding out for Man City then I struggle to understand why he made such a positive statement.

As others have said, the fact he is even considering staying is unbelievably good news.

Our defence has still been pretty solid in his absence, so he'd have had to contributed in the goal scoring department for us to be higher. Or maybe the suggestion is that he would have contributed to the overall confidence of the team, which is plausible I guess.

His absence is part of the reason one of our defensive midfielders isn't further up the pitch posing the opposing defence problems.

Actually...

Matches withT Alderweireld

W 10 D2 L4

As a %:

W63 D13 L25

Matches withoutT Alderweireld

W9 D3 L7

As a %:

W47 D16 L37

So without him we win 16% fewer matches and lose 12% more. We've won 6 matches more than we've lost WITH him, and only 2 matches more than we've lost without.

I would also take his 63% win ratio every single day of the week.

Surely we aren't doing the thing where we pretend someone is worse than they are when it looks like they might not stay?

Not that I can see, he's an essential player and stats show that we do less well without him. I'd give you 5 Mayas and 8 Gardoss for 1 Toby. Trouble is he may well end up out of our price range on the 2 fronts, fee and salary.

I think the fee has already been agreed but I am sure he would do better with wages elsewhere. Also his club can buy out our option and sell him to someone else for more.

Fee hasn't been agreed at all, there's a sum that they can buy out of and start again and that includes us. If AM do not want to sell him to us for 6.5 million £ (although the fee might have been in Euros and the £ equivalent will be less now) they give us 2 million euros and buy out of the arrangement and then name their new price. Where it gets choppy is if the agreed sum is very much higher, for instance RTBF (Belgian Telly) think it's nearer 12 million euros, there buying out of the agreement is far closer to his actual value. Toby keeps saying it's all down to Atletico and he has no say in the matter.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I expect we have already agreed to pay him £120k a week. :mcinnes:

In fact if he was on say 80K (or 5.2 million €s as he was at A.M) last summer when he joined he's now had an 11% or so euro pay rise so he cannot be unhappy about that. 80K£ then was roughly equivalent to the 100K€s weekly that he was reportedly getting, now those 80K£ would bring him about 112000€ per week, if indeed he got paid weekly which he doesn't.

Depends of course where he spends most of his money but he's quids in in euros.

madrid could make him stay, ain't it?

Yes, as we made Morgan stay last summer. In this case it might cost them a couple of bob for reneging on their agreement with us but they get a good player back and they've had a get out of jail card on 5.2 million €s of salary this season. Toby stresses this every time, it's up to Atletico Madrid and no-one else, they hold all of the cards.

I had heard (from the same person who told me that Bertrand was a done deal) that we were expecting to sign Toby and had budgeted for it.

I am sure things can change, but I remain glass half full on him joining us for the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had heard (from the same person who told me that Bertrand was a done deal) that we were expecting to sign Toby and had budgeted for it.

I am sure things can change, but I remain glass half full on him joining us for the long term.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? Christ! I'd be both delighted and amazed if that happened.