U21's FA Cup FINAL

Saint Garrett

Hesketh still looks about 10yo, but then as I get older anyone 20 or younger looks about half their age.

It'll be interesting to see who makes the step up permanently from tonight's team next season. I would assume Gallagher will get more game time, Reed will still be defensive midfield cover, likewise Targett behind Bertrand. McCarthy has flirted with the first team, as has Hesketh and Seager. Sinclair looked quite nippy on the left. Gazzaniga played confidently but having witnessed some dodgy performances from him in the Prem it will take a few decent performances to sway me as to how good he is. (Although I accept he was thrust in very young straight from League Two.)

What say you? Can any of these guys become permanent fixtures? Depends on the positions available and strength in depth I guess. Makes me wonder if Stephens and Turnbull will be ready for next season...

Thought McQueen did well as did Gallagher.

Gazza wasn't reassuring and having been here for 3 years, really should have displaced Kelvin by now. I found the way he punted the ball out quite fascinating. Often seemed to slice it down the left side but then the spin would bring it back infield.

Thought McQueen did well as did Gallagher.

Gazza wasn't reassuring and having been here for 3 years, really should have displaced Kelvin by now. I found the way he punted the ball out quite fascinating. Often seemed to slice it down the left side but then the spin would bring it back infield.

You're an ignoramus. Gazza was decent.

Very odd comment. The back four were all very solid.

McCarthy and Wood won everything thrown at them. Their distribution was the only questionable aspect.

Mugabi was reserved in the first half but excellent in the second half.

Targett was very good.

So, basically, you're just wrong I'm afraid.

Thought Wood was our best defender. Mugabi is an odd one, had some brilliant runs going forward but looked dodgy defending. I thought the whole back four really struggled in the air. I lost count of how many times McCarthy misread the flight and his defensive header didn't go where it was supposed to. They're not going to be amazing,they're all still learning, but promising all the same.

Thought Wood was our best defender. Mugabi is an odd one, had some brilliant runs going forward but looked dodgy defending. I thought the whole back four really struggled in the air. I lost count of how many times McCarthy misread the flight and his defensive header didn't go where it was supposed to. They're not going to be amazing,they're all still learning, but promising all the same.

Yeah quite a few balls McCarthy didn't clear properly. I didn't think he was great tbh.

Probably about the best 3 quid you could ever spend. Great little evening, that.

Apart from the obvious standout players, I thought Mugabi looked interesting going forward. Once he builds up a head of steam I'm not sure there's any stopping him.

Gazzaniga's distribution was always excellent right from his days at Gillingham and it's now outstanding. I've heard good things about his U21 performances this season and he solidified it in my own mind tonight. Commanding and proactive - granted he'd be challenged far more often at a higher level.

What a game and what a goal to win it. Seriously good performance.

The forwards seemed to be making much better runs into space to receive the ball than their 1st team counterparts do!!

I know it's a different level of defenders they are up against, but all the same, they looked purposeful going forward and not laboured like the 1st team do at times.

Lets not forget this crop could in theory also have included Stephens, Turnbull and Isgrove out on loan playing League football, and amazingly JWP, Luke Shaw and even Oxlade Chamberlain!!

No wonder our Academy is held in such high esteem.

The future is bright and it's Red and White.

Great to have so many fans there for the game .Thought mugabi and McQueen played very well although mugabi positioning needs a bit of work on.It was interesting to see gallagher out on the wing(is that where he mainly plays for them?) for most past I must admit I didn't realise he had a bit of pace about him and the goal a heel chop into a one two and smashing in from 20 yards TOP CLASS .

Great to have so many fans there for the game .Thought mugabi and McQueen played very well although mugabi positioning needs a bit of work on.It was interesting to see gallagher out on the wing(is that where he mainly plays for them?) for most past I must admit I didn't realise he had a bit of pace about him and the goal a heel chop into a one two and smashing in from 20 yards TOP CLASS .

Since his return to injury and the form of Seagar it has meant Sam has had to play out wide, but out there he is sometimes starved of the ball. As soon as Seagar went off last night Sam came into his own and his goal hit with his wrong foot was the strike of a player who has what it takes. Those who doubt his overall talent check out his inch perfect cross for Seagar's goal in the semi final v Derby. Sam has had a tough 18 months what with a serious injury and the loss of a parent but he is now showing signs of being ready to step up to the Premiership plate, imo. Players like Sam do not grow on trees.

First time I have seen Mugabi , he looks a very useful player

Yeah I thought so too. Couldn't help but think maybe we would only need one right back if Clyne left. (although if Toby didn't sign, then I'd still want two).

Seager is a goalpoacher, but in " the Big League" you'd need Sam G. up top as a target man, though he'll need to toughen-up if he is to play Prem. League longer-term.

Really impressed by the skill of Jake Hesketh, but the lad will really need to "muscle-up" a bit in the gym, or he'll be kicked all over the pitch at a higher level.

Must have been Gazzaniga's best game for U21's, as he's not always looked so confident in some of their league games. Still a long way from real Prem. standard, though.

Slightly unfair criticism of Mc Carthy IMO, who sometimes takes his role as captain too seriously to the detriment of his own game.

Great support from the fans (12,000?) and reminded me of when " the Reserves " won the FA Combination Cup 1969, when there were over 15,000 in The Dell.

I really enjoyed the game, impressed with Reed thought he was unlucky to get booked for the first tackle. Also impressed by Mugabi, got pace and looked quite laid back, didn't panic at all. Another mention for Seager shoots on site and was unlucky not to have scored more than 1.

Have the club replaced the tannoy system as it was blasting out last night unless it was because the ground was not full but it has never sounded as loud before.

No, I wasn't there. Why would anyone going on the pitch affect you?

They announced that the team wouldn't parade the cup in front of fans if any more people ran onto the pitch. So, it would have affected those wanting to see the team parading the cup.

Still thought we would win even after Reed got sent off. We're the better team in every respect - not just in terms of talent, but also our structure and set-up outside individual ability. That should be expected though given our Academy and facilities against that of Blackburn's, who themselves had a very young team and made the most of what they had. Over the two legs they defended well even though we missed several chances - they put forward a very good account of themselves.

It's always hard to know who will 'make it' at Youth level - ability is just a small part of the equation (but perhaps one that gives you the most time for the other stuff to click). I usually see who is coasting through games (in a good way) as an indicator of how they hold themselves and manage the game and to that end I thought Targett, Wood, and Seager were very good.

Slattery aside, this may be our lot for a few years as the current U18's aren't as good as previous years (though I appreciate Sims, Slattery, and Wood are now a part of the U21 set-up) and a few on here have mentioned that only a couple of the U16's were offered scholarships (the rest will come from other clubs and / or foreigners).

Don't worry, there's some decent players coming through the U18's. Josh Debayo and Niall Mason are 2 I think will progress well.

As for the running on the pitch, the chap who made it to the Chapel, ran down into the concourse then popped up again when he realised there was no way out made a lot of people around us laugh. If they want to take the risk of a ban that's up to them, but a few people clowning around on the pitch is hardly worth getting annoyed about.

They announced that the team wouldn't parade the cup in front of fans if any more people ran onto the pitch. So, it would have affected those wanting to see the team parading the cup.

That was just to stop loads of people running on. Plus it was nonsense anyway because a couple ran on just after the presentation and they still did the parade.

Don't worry, there's some decent players coming through the U18's. Josh Debayo and Niall Mason are 2 I think will progress well.

As for the running on the pitch, the chap who made it to the Chapel, ran down into the concourse then popped up again when he realised there was no way out made a lot of people around us laugh. If they want to take the risk of a ban that's up to them, but a few people clowning around on the pitch is hardly worth getting annoyed about.

Mason has left Saints and has signed for Villa.

Just seen the goal again on tv (about ten times) wow that reminded me of Lambert in his prime for us!

Funny that Mrs JBS has said since she first observed young Sam on the pitch that he was like son of Rickie, in body language stance movement working the ball. Be great if he makes it to that standard.

He is on trial for them' date=' which could give an indication he doesn't have a future at Saints for one reason or another.[/quote']

fair enough, IIRC there were a couple of players who played on trial with villa earlier this season who moved there later.

Media coverage is a bit ****

Sky have given it a lot clearly as the showed the game, but the BBC have completely ignored it on their website. It was a Premier League cup final with 12,356 at the game. Surely that is worth a mention? They give coverage to significantly smaller games than that.

Sky have given it a lot clearly as the showed the game, but the BBC have completely ignored it on their website. It was a Premier League cup final with 12,356 at the game. Surely that is worth a mention? They give coverage to significantly smaller games than that.

not to mention woman's football :p

Why? Why would it even remotely affect you?

Because idiots running on the pitch necessitates controls to prevent idiots running on the pitch, which is how fences and the like came about in the first place, which is part of the reason football fans used to be treated like absolute scum by society, which frankly some of them are.

Ah, women's football. Sucking up valuable airtime that could be given to more episodes of Homes Under the Hammer or Songs of Praise or something.

Do not get me started. :D

Because idiots running on the pitch necessitates controls to prevent idiots running on the pitch, which is how fences and the like came about in the first place, which is part of the reason football fans used to be treated like absolute scum by society, which frankly some of them are.

And also why we have to ensure atmosphere killers like bubble games.

Overall, pretty impressed.

Considering how many players with first team experience we had last night, only Mugabi looked first team ready for the whole game - strong, good overlapping, good decision-making and solid on the ball. Would fit right in - and even he got done down the wing once. Really impressed with him though, easy to see how he could slot into the side.

Of the others, Reed and Gallagher obviously have shown capability in the firsts already, but despite his obvious competence and workrate, Reed's tackling last night was reckless and woeful, and he was lucky to be on for as long as he was. Hesketh also made a couple of terribly-timed challenges and could have gone too, and that ball-grabbing stuff after the last goal was just daft and unnecessary. Gallagher seems to have everything without looking quite there yet, but it was a great winner.

Gazzaniga looked half decent yesterday with the exception of the one time he (I think?) slipped over - couldn't do anything with the deflection. Good cross-claiming, decisions and punches, looks a lot stronger than the last time the first team gave him a go, though I have no desire to see him get a look-in this season at this point.

The central defence looked decent without being spectacular and won most things whilst using the ball well, whilst Targett was there and running the risk of a penalty every time he held and blocked the striker's run 10 yards off the ball, though unlucky for the own goal. Gape was quietly going about things in midfield hoovering stuff up and difficult to judge alongside Reed/Hesketh's more obvious talents. Sims had a couple of great runs when he got on but looked knackered after his half-hour. Seager didn't really impress me in front of goal but did all the right sort of things (and proved the Pelle Lurk on goalkeeper kicks is a Saints-coached thing, which annoyed me greatly), McQueen looked strong and a decent runner just lacking a yard of pace to get away from defenders but played well and created more than either Seager or Gallagher in the first half.

Edited by The9

And also why we have to ensure atmosphere killers like bubble games.

Quite, which are the kind of things the morons who run onto the pitch or start fights in grounds are the first to complain about. Because, you know, they're morons and have difficulty understanding tricky things like cause and effect.

Media coverage is a bit ****

Exactly ... The Man City vs Chelsea youth game was mentioned on Radio 5 last night & goals were shown on BBC Breakfast this morning!! AND no mention on Radio Solent sport at 7.20 this morning .... it took a text from someone for them to cobble together a report at 7.50!

Overall, pretty impressed.

Considering how many players with first team experience we had last night, only Mugabi looked first team ready for the whole game - strong, good overlapping, good decision-making and solid on the ball. Would fit right in - and even he got done down the wing once. Really impressed with him though, easy to see how he could slot into the side.

Of the others, Reed and Gallagher obviously have shown capability in the firsts already, but despite his obvious competence and workrate, Reed's tackling last night was reckless and woeful, and he was lucky to be on for as long as he was. Hesketh also made a couple of terribly-timed challenges and could have gone too, and that ball-grabbing stuff after the last goal was just daft and unnecessary. Gallagher seems to have everything without looking quite there yet, but it was a great winner.

Gazzaniga looked half decent yesterday with the exception of the one time he (I think?) slipped over - couldn't do anything with the deflection. Good cross-claiming, decisions and punches, looks a lot stronger than the last time the first team gave him a go, though I have no desire to see him get a look-in this season at this point.

The central defence looked decent without being spectacular and won most things whilst using the ball well, whilst Targett was there and running the risk of a penalty every time he held and blocked the striker's run 10 yards off the ball, though unlucky for the own goal. Gape was quietly going about things in midfield hoovering stuff up and difficult to judge alongside Reed/Hesketh's more obvious talents. Sims had a couple of great runs when he got on but looked knackered after his half-hour. Seager didn't really impress me in front of goal but did all the right sort of things (and proved the Pelle Lurk on goalkeeper kicks is a Saints-coached thing, which annoyed me greatly), McQueen looked strong and a decent runner just lacking a yard of pace to get away from defenders but played well and created more than either Seager or Gallagher in the first half.

Fair enough I thought Targett looked a more accomplished full back than Mugabi (unfortunate own goal aside) certainly delivers a good cross and dead ball though he could defiantly do with staying on his feet a bit more.

Exactly ... The Man City vs Chelsea youth game was mentioned on Radio 5 last night & goals were shown on BBC Breakfast this morning!! AND no mention on Radio Solent sport at 7.20 this morning .... it took a text from someone for them to cobble together a report at 7.50!

To be fair, the FA Youth Cup is a proven tournament open to all teams and is well looked upon as a pointer for young talent. The Premier League u21 Cup really inst all that (it's a closed group of team, some of which decided not to play a team, you can player over age players, and at u21 level a large amount of players have already tasted first team football). Plus it's a relatively new thing too.