Saints opt not to take up right-to-buy on Eljero Elia

Saint-Armstrong

http://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/thomas-eichin/wen-wird-werder-los-41227230.bild.html

Koeman still wants Elia, but the transfer committee at Saints are unconvinced.

The set fee was €5m, which Saints don't want to pay - but they may still do a deal if Koeman still wants the player and they can get him for €2m-€3m.

Makes sense. Not set the world alight, but could be a handy squad player to have with all the extra games we may have to play, if we can get him for the equivalent of £1.5-2m

I've been pretty underwhelmed with him overall so can't say I'm surprised or disappointed.

He's not a 'handy squad player' that just seems to be a byword for not being good enough. A decent squad player should be able to offer something useful, Elia doesn't.

Cant say I am either surprised or bothered by this. Never was impressed (Newcastle apart) anyway.

Must be a better was to spend £2million around Europe.

We could have got Jed Wallace for £175k. Similar standard?

Have to agree with most other posters. Yes he won the game at Newcastle but he really has had minimal or even negative impact when used as sub particularly in the away games. Can't believe some of the youth squad could do any worse. I would rather spend the money on a couple of lower league players with potential and hope that at least 1 of them comes off

Sometimes players just don't settle that quick. With a full pre-season with Saints who knows?? Not saying he would be the answer but if Koeman believes in him, I'm happy to go with that. Obviously the board aren't prepared to take the risk at that price.

For £2-3m he is a good squad option. Can play on both sides and with a good pre season he would do a job.

Worth remembering he came into the side when Pelle was out of form and the whole team were struggling slightly.

For once, I agree with Saint Charlie. At the right price, given we some squad depth this season with the Europa League, I think he is good option. Remember that Elia himself wasn't in form when he joined us. Given a decent pre-season, I think he could be a bargain.

2.8 million salary!!!! I wouldn't give him the time of day. Just shows the type of rubbish Koeman's going to leave us lumbered with if the transfer committee don't put their foot down. To bring in crap like Elia would never take us to the next level.

2.8 million salary!!!! I wouldn't give him the time of day. Just shows the type of rubbish Koeman's going to leave us lumbered with if the transfer committee don't put their foot down. To bring in crap like Elia would never take us to the next level.

Euros though I expect, 2 million quidish. 40K a week in popular parlance. Obviously still cashing in on a WC final appearance.

March Hare.

Why are so many clinging to the notion that somehow preseason training will make him better? All it does is build fitness and teamwork ahead of the new season, it wont make anyone suddenly a better player.

It's not as if fitness is an issue here. If he was overweight, out of shape or coming back from a bad injury then a pre-season would probably sort him out but it wont make him a better player.

As we will need a bigger squad, I'd take him for a couple of million, but he'd have to lower his wage demands.

But we risk filling the squad up with pointless clutter, who we will struggle to shift. I'm happy to go with the notion of letting the academy players provide the majority of the squad depth.

Why are so many clinging to the notion that somehow preseason training will make him better?

I've seen one person suggest that might help. One. Could just say loads though, yeah why the f*ck not? This seems fun let me have a go.

Why are f*cking sh*t loads of you saying this is a similar situation to Marek Saganowski? It's like every single season ticket holder at SMS is saying the Elia situation is the same as Marek's was. Mentaaaaal. ****in' mental maaaaaaate.

I've seen one person suggest that might help. One. Could just say loads though, yeah why the f*ck not? This seems fun let me have a go.

Why are f*cking sh*t loads of you saying this is a similar situation to Marek Saganowski? It's like every single season ticket holder at SMS is saying the Elia situation is the same as Marek's was. Mentaaaaal. ****in' mental maaaaaaate.

I would suggest you need to improve your literacy or mathematics.

Maybe he thinks with a pre season he could do something. I'd go for that.

with a good pre season he would do a job.

With a full pre-season with Saints who knows??

Given a decent pre-season, I think he could be a bargain.

Makes sense. Not set the world alight, but could be a handy squad player to have with all the extra games we may have to play, if we can get him for the equivalent of £1.5-2m

Completely agree - if we can get him cheaply or arrange another loan he's worth having if we get to the group stages.

Why do we think that the purchase price is a factor on whether we should sign him or not? If he's any good we'll get our money back when we sell him on. If he isn't then we shouldn't sign him in the first place.

The only money issue to consider is his wages.