The Rather Previous 2016/17 Saints Kit Thread

The9

Worst kept secret in years?!

We'd already seen both this year's actual kits for a month this time last year thanks to a very convincing leak. Expecting it just to be an announcement of Under Armour rather than a kit launch though because the other deal will probably run til May 31st.

The original adidas announcement was May 29th (2013) but it took a while - June 28th for the actual (horrific) kit to get announced, again probably for contractual reasons.

Hopefully it'll be a bit earlier this year, I can see us wearing Under Armour in the early July US Tour that absolutely no-one has confirmed and I may have made up, due to the possibility of getting into Europe again.

Invites have been sent out to various parties to attend an announcement for a "groundbreaking new partnership between Saints FC and a global sports brand".....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

There's a media conference with Ralph and the VP of Under Armour at St. Mary's scheduled for 10:00 on Thursday.

The deal with Under Armour is for an initial five years and is worth £40m.

£8m per season means it is over double what Adidas were giving the club. (which is said to be around the £3.5m per season mark)

UA will also be providing support and assistance to the club as they roll out their plans in North America.

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

Great - does it mean we will now be a fashionable and trendy, and even a 'big' club, like Spurs?

And get a top notch blue chip shirt sponsor - I'll have Virgin or Coke please (then we'll be the real thing).

And get a top notch blue chip shirt sponsor - I'll have Virgin or Coke please (then we'll be the real thing).

Be interesting to see what the facts are about the Under Armour deal when they're properly announced.

As for sponsors, Coca Cola sponsor massive events only so not going to be them. Virgin probably wouldn't sponsor a football club either. It'll probably be someone no-one has heard of who need to let people know what they do. Can't imagine a club that often positions itself with a moral stance would go down the route of betting unless the money is spectacular of course!

Edited by Daft Kerplunk

Be interesting to see what the facts are about the Under Armour deal when they're properly announced.

As for sponsors, Coca Cola sponsor massive events only so not going to be them. Virgin probably wouldn't sponsor a football club either. It'll probably be someone no-one has heard of who need to let people know what they do. Can't imagine a club that often positions itself with a moral stance would go down the route of betting unless the money is spectacular of course!

betting bad but Coke is good?

odd times we live in

It's the world we live in unfortunately. I'd rather we had a betting sponsor that pays more than hike match ticket prices

Sorry superhero, where did I say that? I can't see it! Probably because it doesn't say it. Go read it again.

it was not a pop at you, just continuing/adding to the point which you made in response above

Just find it odd how betting sites are automatically deemed 'bad' but you could not get "coke' on the shirt quick enough

it was not a pop at you, just continuing/adding to the point which you made in response above

Just find it odd how betting sites are automatically deemed 'bad' but you could not get "coke' on the shirt quick enough

Ok thanks, and my response about Coke was that they wouldn't do it to a suggestion on the previous post. I wouldn't want coke on the shirt either, apart from the fact that it would be a rock star's favourite shirt pretty quickly

As for sponsors, Coca Cola sponsor massive events only so not going to be them. Virgin probably wouldn't sponsor a football club either. It'll probably be someone no-one has heard of who need to let people know what they do. Can't imagine a club that often positions itself with a moral st​ance would go down the route of betting unless the money is spectacular of course!

What moral system would the club use to decide betting is wrong?

Wow £40m over an initial 5 seasons, £8m a year is some great business by Les, Ralph & co.

As for the shirt sponsor, I would've thought Garmin are the logical choice, big Worldwide company, UK HQ near Southampton, ticks all the boxes to me.

What moral system would the club use to decide betting is wrong?

Hmmm, how can this be explained to someone who has to ask this question?

Go have a think about it, maybe read a little about addiction then you can come to the conclusion yourself. Kind of similar to alcohol, smoking, fatty foods, sugary drinks etc. They are individual choices for people to make but they aren't necesserily good for you so promotion of them might be seen as being less morally aware. Perhaps that will help you understand what a moral stance might mean. If the club go with a betting sponsor, then so be it but let's not pretend what betting can cause is good for some people.

Edited by Daft Kerplunk

crystal-palace-88-home-use1.jpg

Newcastle-United-Home-Kit-12-13.jpg

article-2082330-0F56E95900000578-411_468x330.jpg

preston-north-end-15-16-kit-2.jpg

The player shirts (skin tight) will be different to the replicas (more generous).

In line with the Spurs shirts of the past couple of seasons.

I'm interested to know if the shirts will finally be on sale everywhere or if they'll stick to the recent expansion into "a few JD Sports sites in the south". Aside from the club shops and the one place on the IoW a while back the only place I've seen Saints kit in a retailer was SportsDirect.com flogging off some 125th Anniversary shorts when we were still in the Championship.

£8m a season is a great bit of business and once again highlights how incompetent Cortese was when it came to commercial income. The most we ever made under him was £6m a season with him practically giving away the shirt sponsorship deals due to his inability to make money, he couldn't sell a pint to a p*sshead. It's great to see we have people at the club who can actually make a bit of money not just spend it.

£8m a season is a great bit of business and once again highlights how incompetent Cortese was when it came to commercial income. The most we ever made under him was £6m a season with him practically giving away the shirt sponsorship deals due to his inability to make money, he couldn't sell a pint to a p*sshead. It's great to see we have people at the club who can actually make a bit of money not just spend it.

And £6m a season was for for everything so kit and sponsors, not just the kit deal! Ralph said he club would increase the commercial revenue and if the above is true then the next deals will be even more...we march on to use the mantra!

I actually knew al of those apart from the trains sponsoring ...you da man ;)

Carlisle too. Unsurprisingly they've jumped in with two of the main stops on the West Coast line they fairly recently took over for clubs in the lower leagues, given that you can get to Carlisle in under 3 hours from London, and Preston is one of the first stops. If Wigan hadn't been in the Premier League so recently they'd probably have them on board as well.

kit1516homeaway43104-2535859_478x359.jpg

They really missed a trick with the Virgin Trains logo not matching the two stripe design on the shirts. Someone obviously had a great idea which wasn't checked closely enough.

Edited by The9

Saints have a precious brand identity in that our name is also the name of the city with an international historical past..... [ unlike some "big" , or "biggish" clubs ] , so along with a nice new shiny kit deal , I would also like to see a shirt sponsor that leaps on the back of the reputation and recognition of the city as a whole... so I would be courting the likes of Royal Caribbean , Cunard and P&O for a shirt sponsorship deal...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Contract starts from July 1 and last time we had a new kit, adidas announced the release date at the start of June, teased designs through June and released the home and away shirts on the last working day of June. They basically can't sell anything before then due to the outgoing adidas contract.

I'd anticipate a similar timescale, possibly tweaked to take advantage of interest in the Euros, especially as the players usually come back to training in early July and they'll be wearing UA when they do.

I really don't like that design, there's something about the white stripes being slightly, annoyingly, thinner than the red ones. Plus the socks are basically identical to last year's with the UA logo on. And the red is slightly too dark. Also don't like the weird multi-line stripe on the shorts, which still looks like an adidas one either - is it meant to be grey or what? Don't like the use of the faux Prem sleeve badge which afaik will be white with the purple lion (see above), dunno why you'd bother mocking up one in different colours to that which will be used - though maybe they'll be using the multi-colour club-colour matching MLS logo model and I just haven't heard about it?

Still better than the 2012/13 and 2013/14 kits though. :D