The Rather Previous 2016/17 Saints Kit Thread

The9

Love that shirt but would still prefer a Keegan / Rank Xerox / Patrick kit but it ain't a bad effort.

If we're with them for 7 years I'd be surprised if we don't get at least ONE wide white stripe reworking at some point, there's only so many ways you can do stripes before you're repeating yourselves.

Recent trends:

The last white sleeved shirt was the Championship promotion one in 2011/12, if you assume the "all red" adidas shirt was a red sleeve with a white flash, anyway.

The last "striped" sleeve was the striped flybe sponsored Umbro kit of 2008-10 - which was also the last 2 season home shirt. 6 years without proper striped sleeves!

Red home socks for every season since the League One promotion (black socks with the sash kit, red away socks for that one) and due to the hooped Umbro socks before that have not worn predominantly white socks since before Umbro took over the kit in 2008.

Saints have had plain red sleeves and predominantly red socks for the past 2 seasons, even post-Cortese.

At the start of next season, Saints kit will have featured branding (or a lack of branding) from 4 different manufacturers in the 5 years since 2013: Umbro, adidas (two seasons), unbranded, and Under Armour.

Due to general weirdness, the home shorts colours since the summer of 2010 have been white, black, red, red, black and black.

Would be nice to be different from Stoke, Sunderland and anyone else in red and white. A bit more than just the thickness of the stripes. And the away kit being the same as Stoke with the colours inverted is lazy, so hope to go back to the old one.

Curious that no-one has mentioned that Veho are featured on a concept shirt image ......... which probably means we are still in the dark all round.

I agree with the white socks comment above, always looks better.

No one's mentioned it because it's clear that all the guy's done is slap (a poor version of) this season's sponsor on it and doesn't know about it one way or another. Just like he doesn't know anything about 2016/17 Under Armour styles beyond what's been seen with the Spurs shirt - and he hasn't used any of those design cues in the shirt anyway.

If I was going to stick something together as a mock up it would have a big ole' yoke on it like the Spurs leak - which is not to say the new Saints shirt will.

Pretty sure this is clear that Veho is a two-year deal so they'll be off the front of the shirts after next week.

Would be nice to be different from Stoke, Sunderland and anyone else in red and white. A bit more than just the thickness of the stripes. And the away kit being the same as Stoke with the colours inverted is lazy, so hope to go back to the old one.

I don't get your logic.

We play in stripes, but we have a clearly different kit to Sunderland (despite both being adidas) and Stoke this season already.

As for the "colours inverted", they're not, Stoke's kit is black with green and ours is green with navy. They're not the same brand, so how is it "lazy" when it's clear that adidas used that colourway for us and Swansea away but in completely different styles, and Stoke's kit doesn't look like anyone else's in the Premier League and is made by a completely different company?

What's your thought process there? One of them saw the other's and decided to copy it? Except in a different colour, without the stripes, branding, and release it at more or less the same time? Actually the Stoke New Balance shirt came out first, too. It's just coincidence, and not particularly surprising coincidence seeing as "diagonal sash shirts" as a style have been around for over 130 years. In fact Everton had a black shirt with a coloured sash on it in 1881. West Brom wore a kit with diagonal in 1878. It was popular early on because all you needed was a strip of material to make you look different to all the plain shirted teams.

Even polka dots has been done (early Bolton) - everything's going to be derivative somehow, that doesn't make it "lazy". Anyway, your suggestion to "go back to the previous one" is a lazier option than anything! Also it's unclear which "previous one" you mean. We wore navy away last season, that's been a "once every 5 years" option.

To summarise, this: AN5A2346%20web.jpg

doesn't look like this:

new-balance-stoke-city-15-16-away-kit_1_.jpg

Edited by The9

I would like white socks again, and I find white or striped sleeves to look a bit sleeker and fresher than red ones. Not sure why, and I guess it's probably just personal preference. Since I've been watching Saints (91) I think my favourite kits have been 2001-3, 2003 Uefa (not the red back so much), 05-06, 11-12.

I like the most recent two seasons but a fleck of black (esp on the collar), more white in the sleeves and white socks would be even better!

There's also been this NY Cosmos shirt, but it's on old design (same as the 2015/16 templates for other clubs) so I haven't bothered sharing it until now.

New-York-Cosmos-2016-Kits%2B%25284%2529.jpg

I would be quite pleased with this in white with red bands replacing the blue and green bands and the collar strip (white where the yellow band is) and a red UA logo.

Would be a smart take on the red and white, IMO. Maybe with some nice white shorts and red and white hooped socks.

Stoke City say new Premier League guidelines have forced them to break with tradition and have a big white panel on the back of their iconic home tops.

The club said in a statement: "As the Premier League are looking to introduce a rule to enforce squad number visibility to complement Uefa's rules for clubs playing in European competition, we have incorporated a white panel on the reverse of the shirt. However, we have retained our red and white stripe DNA on part of the back and incorporated red letters and numbers to complement the shirt."

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/Stoke-City-Potters-explain-reason-white-panel-new/story-29237855-detail/story.html

14205981-large.jpg

I would be quite pleased with this in white with red bands replacing the blue and green bands and the collar strip (white where the yellow band is) and a red UA logo.

Would be a smart take on the red and white, IMO. Maybe with some nice white shorts and red and white hooped socks.

That sounds like the output of a meeting at the FA where they all agree "let's base the England kit on the St George cross!".

Souns ideal - for a tennis court. But not as a Saints home strip.

F*ck sake, assume that applies to everyone then.

It's clear enough you don't need the panel!

Perfect opportunity to switch to the sash permanently though, if so...

Also, perfect opportunity to switch to the Keegan kit, which would be overwhelmingly popular!

Why's that?

Red with White hoops IMO.

Each to their own and all that.

Always see white socks as traditional, in a recent history kind of way - from 70s to late 90s across the iconic and not-so-iconic Admiral, Patrick and Hummel kits we had the white socks in almost all iterations - making us distinct from the Sheffield Uniteds and Stokes etc.

Always depressing to see us in red socks or black socks which those other clubs use more than us.

Red and white hoop socks probably second choice for me. Better than red or black anyway.

Don't want to get all The9 about it but socks get a bit under-rated as the distinctive part of some classic team kits - It's the socks that make the kits of Pompey, Chelsea and Man U for example actually stand out.

Always see white socks as traditional, in a recent history kind of way - from 70s to late 90s across the iconic and not-so-iconic Admiral, Patrick and Hummel kits we had the white socks in almost all iterations - making us distinct from the Sheffield Uniteds and Stokes etc.

Always depressing to see us in red socks or black socks which those other clubs use more than us.

Red and white hoop socks probably second choice for me. Better than red or black anyway.

Don't want to get all The9 about it but socks get a bit under-rated as the distinctive part of some classic team kits - It's the socks that make the kits of Pompey, Chelsea and Man U for example actually stand out.

Red based socks far more traditional than white, which is quite recent and really not us at all. If we really want to be traditional then we should wear blue socks, but suspect some would have a problem with that.

Red based socks far more traditional than white, which is quite recent and really not us at all. If we really want to be traditional then we should wear blue socks, but suspect some would have a problem with that.

We used white socks nearly non stop for 35 years so I'd say that was "us" as a huge number of "us" have lived through little else - white socks started five years before I was born and still going as I passed thirty.

Personally I'd say the "quite recent" thing is to not use white socks in the last five/six years, which I think is a shame.

Anyway, you'll notice in the first line of my original post that I qualified my view on traditional anyway.

Attention to detail for the socks please. Don't be lazy. All of our kits should be one off, stunning works of art. And next year's should be more lush.

I want to look at the kit and start rubbing myself involuntarily.

Agree, differentiates us from stoke and sunderland (which may not be an issue next season anyway) and works better with the dominant red of the shirt.

Stoke have worn white socks for 12 of the past 14 seasons, and in one of the other two they wore exactly the same socks as Saints have in the red kit picture above. I'm not sure how us wearing white socks would differentiate us from them. That happens already because Stoke almost always wear white shorts, which we haven't done since 1890 except the sash kit.

We do look like Sunderland now and then though - and they have black shorts and red socks next season. And red sleeves.

150001008.jpg150001011.jpg

Personally I'm not worried about us "looking like other teams", there are plenty of them and have been for years, and I never have a problem. Now that all-red thing, we just looked like Liverpool, as with the pin-striped thing the season before, too, and at a glance I frequently mistook them being on screen for us. At least with stripes there's a chance you might be right.

Edited by The9

Interesting-ish. Except Sunderland's new kit has a striped back, so evidently some are taking the "guidance" more literally than others.

https://www.safcstore.com/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=safcstore&state=item&dept_id=10&sub_dept_id=10&product_id=150001008

Interesting-ish. Except Sunderland's new kit has a striped back, so evidently some are taking the "guidance" more literally than others.

https://www.safcstore.com/cgi-bin/live/ecommerce.pl?site=safcstore&state=item&dept_id=10&sub_dept_id=10&product_id=150001008

Or maybe Stoke had their kit designed while they were still in the hunt for Europe? Whereas Sunderland... I expect their designers were more likely to be checking the Championship kit guidance!

Although Sheffield United have used white socks quite a lot in their history so its not much of a way of distinguishing us from them

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Sheffield_United/Sheffield_United.htm

White socks seem to be a Lawrie thing as he converted Sunderland to them

Although Sheffield United have used white socks quite a lot in their history so its not much of a way of distinguishing us from them

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Sheffield_United/Sheffield_United.htm

White socks seem to be a Lawrie thing as he converted Sunderland to them

2011-15 look like Saints kits. Fair enough, forget the makes us look different to other teams thing, let's just say white socks just make Saints look like Saints in my eyes based on 35 odd years of near unbroken white sockage pre and during my lifetime.

Let's return to the very dark blue shorts of yesteryear. And no I won't apologise for adding this same request to every single 'new kit' thread.

No problem with that if we remain with traditional r/w stripes.

But - lets go for the Keegan kit.

Like you same plea every year, hope it happens again before i peg it.

(And winning the FA Cup again would be good if it could be managed in that time as well).

We had the same sort of strip in our Euro 'campaign' in the 2003/4 season. I have said shirt, signed by the whole team and the manager. But it was only for Europe, we had a normal strip for the league.