CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

I suspect there may be a deal in place but Celtic want him to be available for both legs of the champions league qualifiers with the transfer going through after that.

In which he suffers a season ending injury.....we have no back up......and we are screwed.

Sod's law something like that happens.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I suspect there may be a deal in place but Celtic want him to be available for both legs of the champions league qualifiers with the transfer going through after that.

That's not playing the game. Everyone knows that the player concerned picks up an injury and cant play in any games just before the transfer!

I'm yet to be convinced ,yes I know he's only just joined etc,Clasie will cut the mustard.......let's hope he comes up to speed and not regularly on the treatment table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He has played 30 plus games in the last five seasons, that doesn't suggest he is always injured. The physio said the other week moving clubs is a time when players pick up these strains. So I don't think you have to worry about his resilience.

09:39

SAINTS ON BRINK OF VAN DIJK DEAL

Southampton are hopeful of landing Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk even if Ronny Deila’s side reach the Champions League Group stage, writes the Daily Record.

The report suggests Ronald Koeman is on the brink of securing a £10m deal for the defender and he hopes the deal will be completed before the September 1.

"hopes"? Hardly on the brink then.

We are playing a cool hand but they hold the aces.

Didnt he "hope"....nay....."expect" Toby to sign for us, even after the Spurs stories emerged ?

Didnt he "hope"....nay....."expect" Toby to sign for us, even after the Spurs stories emerged ?

He did say that, although I suspect it was as much to do with making our position clear for the future legal wranglings as it was a genuine belief. I'm sure by that point he knew we were struggling really, just had to keep up appearances of "yes, of course he will sign for us, we have a clause" etc.

He did say that, although I suspect it was as much to do with making our position clear for the future legal wranglings as it was a genuine belief. I'm sure by that point he knew we were struggling really, just had to keep up appearances of "yes, of course he will sign for us, we have a clause" etc.

Lets hope that the the latest news articles are not further PR.....

11:22

CELTIC HOPE TO KEEP VAN DIJK

Southampton are interested indefender Virgil van Dijk and we understand the deal depends on whether Celtic get Champions League football.

The SPFL side think they have a much better change of keeping him if he remains in remain in the Champions League - they face Malmo for a place in the group stage next week.

We'll be hearing from Celtic boss Ronny Deila after their match against Kilmarnock tonight.

---------------------

So is it the player's decision? Is it coming down to what each club can offer?

Despite the suggestion RK is not looking at alternatives to VVD, I hope Reed & the Black Box are still casting their net for a CB in case VVD does decide to stay at Celtic, or has an injury of the 89th minute Second Leg v Malmo. There may of course been an agreement behind the scenes, but then Toby was believed to have given his word he'd stay.

Despite the suggestion RK is not looking at alternatives to VVD, I hope Reed & the Black Box are still casting their net for a CB in case VVD does decide to stay at Celtic, or has an injury of the 89th minute Second Leg v Malmo. There may of course been an agreement behind the scenes, but then Toby was believed to have given his word he'd stay.

Yep.

2nd leg against Malmo is on 25 Aug.

That leaves us less than a week to identify and sign someone else if VVD gets carried away with the euphoria of the moment if Celtic overcome Malmo.

Extremely risky strategy in place, it seems.

Yep.

That leaves us less than a week to identify and sign someone else if VVD gets carried away with the euphoria of the moment if Celtic overcome Malmo.

Because there is no way we will be tracking more than one player, is there? No, if we don't get VVD, we will be starting a search from scratch! Like amateurs! I'M FLABBERGASTED!!!!

I don't believe for one minute that the club expect to go into this season with just three recognised CHs. Just because we aren't being splashed all over the media doesn't mean that work isn't being done behind the scenes. Still what do I know? Perhaps Alpine is right and we are being run like a second rate seaside B & B.

:uhoh:

Yep.

Although I think our scouting has proved time and time again that there isn't just one target.

Steve Grant @SteveGrant1983

Led to believe van Dijk passed a medical at #saintsfc this morning, just the transfer terms to iron out with Celtic

This advanced...?

It's seemingly the modern way but it does seem odd that you first agree terms with the player and then negotiate the fee with their club!

Malmo are no mugs, they've knocked Salzburg out of the Champions League in both of the last two seasons. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Celtic try to stall the deal until the end of the month, but the Forster deal was done a year ago after the third qualifying round and they still got through, so there's a precedent there.

It's seemingly the modern way but it does seem odd that you first agree terms with the player and then negotiate the fee with their club!

Yeah, it's a bit weird how it's all changed, but I guess it makes more sense doing it this way. There's no point putting in the effort to negotiate with a club if the player's got no interest in signing for you, after all.

Sorry for being slow but if he had a medical and all that - Saints need OK from Celtic right to do that - otherwise it´s more like Arrys way of doing transfers rihgt?

Perhaps RK will start doing interviews from the window of his Range Rover outside his house from now on as well.

Sorry for being slow but if he had a medical and all that - Saints need OK from Celtic right to do that - otherwise it´s more like Arrys way of doing transfers rihgt?

Yes. My interpretation of events is that Celtic gave us permission to do whatever we need to do, i.e. discuss personal terms and conduct a medical, subject to agreeing terms between the clubs. He'll remain available for selection for them until it's all tied up, though, and as I said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them stall it until after the playoff round.

Yes. My interpretation of events is that Celtic gave us permission to do whatever we need to do, i.e. discuss personal terms and conduct a medical, subject to agreeing terms between the clubs. He'll remain available for selection for them until it's all tied up, though, and as I said, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them stall it until after the playoff round.

Surely he'd need another medical then, to check nothing had changed since the first one?

Seems to me this doesn't necessarily mean it's deal done, as in theory, they could also allow other clubs to do a medical and talk to the player pending a deal being agreed by the clubs (possibly after Champs league tie)?

What it would confirm though is Celtic are at least open to selling VVD - don't think they would allow this if they were not pretty committed to selling him.

Maybe we should 'de-risk' the transaction by tabling a two-tier bid. Say, £500k over the asking price for an 'immediate' transfer. Enough to maybe tempt Celtic to put pen to paper straight away, but not an extortionate amount from our perspective in the general scheme of things.

Dunno. Just thinking out loud, as ever.

Yeah, it's a bit weird how it's all changed, but I guess it makes more sense doing it this way. There's no point putting in the effort to negotiate with a club if the player's got no interest in signing for you, after all.

Try telling Stoke that. Still not convinced XS (**** spelling his name) wants to be there.

Maybe we should 'de-risk' the transaction by tabling a two-tier bid. Say, £500k over the asking price for an 'immediate' transfer. Enough to maybe tempt Celtic to put pen to paper straight away, but not an extortionate amount from our perspective in the general scheme of things.

Dunno. Just thinking out loud, as ever.

I somehow don't think 500k will tempt them to risk losing millions and millions they will receive for getting into the CL group stage :lol:

Malmo are no mugs, they've knocked Salzburg out of the Champions League in both of the last two seasons. I wouldn't be entirely surprised to see Celtic try to stall the deal until the end of the month, but the Forster deal was done a year ago after the third qualifying round and they still got through, so there's a precedent there.

Forster signing for Saints and Celtic being reinstated to the Champions League happened on the same day. Perhaps the Forster deal was too far advanced by the point they knew they were definetly still in the Champions League.