CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Why do people think 1 man should make a defence? Spurs has been poor but I'd love Toby back. VVD is a terrific player and we desperately need someone.

Plus the possibility,that recent performances by VVD may not be up to his usual standard. As we said about Clyne after he was linked with Man Utd last season, his performances drppoed off. Perhaps in the case of VVD he is currently going through the motions, to use a regular phrase from on here perhaps "his head is elswhere" already.

We could be going to Glasgow in the Group matches.

Given their meaty coefficient would most likely give them a Pot 2 seeding that would be a great draw for us. Pot 1: someone pretty decent Pot 2: Celtic, Pot 3: Saints, Pot 4: Some minor country's champion. 2 qualifiers for knockouts, sorted.

Yet you still can't understand it.

Nope. I simply dont agree with the approach.

By the time Celtic know if they are through against Malmo, and if VVD decides based on that result (and/or any contract improvement Celtic then feel they can offer) to stay, we will have 5 days to find another target, make an approach, negotiate and close the deal.

I thinik we are following a high-risk strategy and we havent done particularly well in these sort of games in recent times..

Nope. I simply dont agree with the approach.

By the time Celtic know if they are through against Malmo, and if VVD decides based on that result (and/or any contract improvement Celtic then feel they can offer) to stay, we will have 5 days to find another target, make an approach, negotiate and close the deal.

I thinik we are following a high-risk strategy and we havent done particularly well in these sort of games in recent times..

Clearly a massive problem that we will only have our new centre back for only the final 34 games of the season.

Edited by CB Fry

Clearly a massive problem that we will only have our new centre back for only the final 34 games of the season.

I suspect Alpine actually wants VvD to suffer a serious injury in the next few days so he can tell us how right he was the whole time.

Or everything will turn out fine and we'll hear how easy it is to be happy in hindsight.

The window is a royal pain in the @rse. I don't know why they changed it. You used to be able to buy and sell players right up to the final month of the season which negated all the nonsense you get in the summer and over Christmas. If they have to have a window then shut it before the season starts. Dealing with the Sadio and Vic rumours before a game yesterday was not the best preparation. Having to wait until Celtic know what is happening in the European challenge before we can sign VvD is not ideal. Extend it as it used to be or shut it earlier, but do something. This currently is a bloody mess.

We're basically as **** as Chelsea at sorting out our defensive signings.

I really hate the transfer window. Make it July 31st and I don't see how it doesn't help all clubs.

Should be midnight on the Thursday prior to the start of the domestic season IMO!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

The window is a royal pain in the @rse. I don't know why they changed it. You used to be able to buy and sell players right up to the final month of the season which negated all the nonsense you get in the summer and over Christmas. If they have to have a window then shut it before the season starts. Dealing with the Sadio and Vic rumours before a game yesterday was not the best preparation. Having to wait until Celtic know what is happening in the European challenge before we can sign VvD is not ideal. Extend it as it used to be or shut it earlier, but do something. This currently is a bloody mess.

It suits Sky's purposes on so many levels. Sky don't actually control deadlines, they are set by Uefa in conjunction with all the domestic FAs.

But turkeys don't vote for Xmas and as long as the major paymasters love it, the PL will not be pushing the FA or any other governing body to change it.

@solentsport: SAINTS: On possible incomings, Reed said: "It might take a bit of time but we're working hard, and I'm confident we'll come through with it.

Just like the negotiations with "Clyney are in a good place" uttered with confidence at the end of last season.

Just about everyone we have brought in this summer has arrived with very little chit-chat or comment before it. We will just have to see what comes out in the wash on the 1st September.

Just like the negotiations with "Clyney are in a good place" uttered with confidence at the end of last season.

Just about everyone we have brought in this summer has arrived with very little chit-chat or comment before it. We will just have to see what comes out in the wash on the 1st September.

He is basically saying that we are after VVD. Think we will get him, but might have to wait til the end of the window.

IMO.

@solentsport: SAINTS: On possible incomings, Reed said: "It might take a bit of time but we're working hard, and I'm confident we'll come through with it.

What a load of ****. He's hardly likely to say 'I'm not confident'. Next thing he'll be saying is, 'Time wasn't on our side, we worked hard but couldn't get 'it' across the line'. The man really doesn't inspire confidence at all. Get RK on the case. He seems to have more influence when it comes to persuading players to come onboard.

What a load of ****. He's hardly likely to say 'I'm not confident'. Next thing he'll be saying is, 'Time wasn't on our side, we worked hard but couldn't get 'it' across the line'. The man really doesn't inspire confidence at all. Get RK on the case. He seems to have more influence when it comes to persuading players to come onboard.

Are you serious - one of the main reasons saints are successful is because of Reed!

I would say your response is the bigger load of **** here/

good if true...http://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-news/southampton-win-transfer-race-virgil-6302516

The bit about us signing VVD or the bit about replacing Mane with 'dros Townsend? How can anyone believe the first part when the second part also goes against everything we are lead to believe from the club about players not leaving. Cake and eating it?

Would be suprised if VVD moved before their second leg on Tuesday. Why insist he can't go before their qualifiers are done and then let him leave a couple of days before the biggest one?

Nine of their players were left out today.

He will play Tuesday and then go IMO.

Edited by Saint Charlie

The bit about us signing VVD or the bit about replacing Mane with 'dros Townsend? How can anyone believe the first part when the second part also goes against everything we are lead to believe from the club about players not leaving. Cake and eating it?

The fact that we have said our players are not for sale will not preclude other teams from making enquries, nor from their placing 'bids' in the media. At least the club is planning for any eventuality.

I saw something on a Celtic forum which suggested he took a knock and won't be fit anyway, but that could just be tosh. If true though, then we'll prob push it through asap.

Would be great to have him available for Norwich.

He has been picked in the Holland squad which is a slight shame as he will miss the settling in time but I guess virtually all our players are away on Intl duty anyway.

Fully expect him to play Tuesday night though, unless injured. No sense for Celtic to let him go before then as the Mirror article says.

That article is the Telegraaf reporting what the British media like the Mirror is saying, rather than it being new information from their own sources. This often happens and sometimes it leads to the British media then rehashing a foreign article which is reporting what the British press is saying and it snowballs in a loop of rehashed articles.