CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Transfer windows are set by FIFA and do vary but generally most major European Leagues have the same or very similar window to England. The issue is not the date of the window, but the start of the leagues. Spain, for instance, generally starts 2 weeks later than England. So setting a transfer window to close 31 July (which I agree makes sense) means Spanish clubs would have to have their squads set up more than 3 weeks before their season starts. The transfer windows need to be co-ordinated nowadays because of the internationalisation of the top professional leagues. It would be difficult to have England close its window end July and Spain 3 weeks later, how would transfers be managed between the two countries?

My view is that at least the window if it is perceived to be necessary should at least close one week before the start of the latest major league, so this season that would probably have meant 15 August, still not ideal, but better than the current stupid date of 31 August/1 September which this season even corresponds to the international break.

It corresponds with international break pretty much every season.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/transfer-news-live-man-united-6313975

Deila: We don't need to sell Van Dijk

Celtic boss Ronny Deila insists Virgil Van Dijk’s future does NOT depend on Champions League progress.

The Scottish champions face Malmo tonight with Van Dijk set to be involved, despite increased speculation linking him with Southampton.

“We don’t need to sell Virgil,” said Deila ahead of tonight’s clash.

“I have said that a thousand times and I am tired of talking about him.

“He is still a Celtic player and hopefully he’ll be that for a long, long time.”

There is no way as far down the line as people think with this transfer, this is going to go to deadline day. Also, if Celtic qualify and we get knocked out on Thursday I think that could see him staying at Celtic.

I think many people have overlooked this possibility, and how that might affect how 'attractive' we appear to potential incoming players (in the abscence of stupid money to compensate of course).

I think many people have overlooked this possibility, and how that might affect how 'attractive' we appear to potential incoming players (in the abscence of stupid money to compensate of course).

Saints can offer him bigger wages than Celtic, managed by a Dutch defensive legend and a much higher profile domestic league to help him progress in the eyes of the Dutch national team.

There is no way as far down the line as people think with this transfer, this is going to go to deadline day. Also, if Celtic qualify and we get knocked out on Thursday I think that could see him staying at Celtic.

Well if it's getting announced tomorrow then it won't matter if we got knocked out or not.

Pretty much! I don't see it, and I think it'd need to be someone who finished above us last time out - with guarantees of starts - to derail it.

Yeah most of those clubs have enough defenders.

Everton could be in for a CB and potentially one or two others so Celtic could get the bidding war they want but ultimately players go where they want to, so hopefully that works in our favour.

Saints can offer him bigger wages than Celtic, managed by a Dutch defensive legend and a much higher profile domestic league to help him progress in the eyes of the Dutch national team.

But as we all know the champs league is a far higher standard and what every player on the planet wishes to participate in, just ask Lovren and Lallana ;)

So why when RK says "not for sale" are we told not to panic about losing our players, and when Delia says "not for sale" we are told that this is definitely on and to expect an announcement imminently?

If people were reading a Spurs forum and seeing someone saying Big Vic is definitely going there this week, it'd be laughed off.

It will be a waste of time if Saints only bid around £8mill. Celtic will be happy to wait until January for the sum they want, by which time other clubs will be competing for his signature. We would have lost a great opportunity to improve our team, and perceptions of Saints ambitions will plummet again. His value is £15m, especially if Stones is rated at £25m

It will be a waste of time if Saints only bid around £8mill. Celtic will be happy to wait until January for the sum they want, by which time other clubs will be competing for his signature. We would have lost a great opportunity to improve our team, and perceptions of Saints ambitions will plummet again. His value is £15m, especially if Stones is rated at £25m

We have got to pay the going rate. Failure to land this target will show complete lack of ambition and could see a mass exodus in the next 12 months including the manager. As I said this is a defining moment of intent.

Given the style of his game, I don't think there's a coach in the world more likely to improve him than Koeman. With that kind of guidance, "World class" is not beyond him.

And given the CD challenges of some of the PL big boys, I still can't believe we're in with a good chance of getting him. But perhaps the "Koeman factor" is the key element.

If he comes, let's just enjoy his time with us in the full knowledge that he's likely to end up at one of the real elite clubs - more so than any player we've had so far.

Indeed, a good read - apart from the part where we are described as a 'non-entity'! [emoji15]

Much as I consider myself a long standing (and often long suffering!!) Saints fan, I don't have a particular issue with Celtic fans viewing us as a smallish provincial club.

In comparison to Celtic and Rangers we are and so, to be fair, are almost all English clubs apart from perhaps Man Utd and Liverpool.

It seems rather strange that, in recent years, Celtic have been viewed by some as a Southampton feeder club (and of course we have Steven Davis from Rangers too)

Actually I'm quite proud of that