CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

REALLY hope we don't sign Andros Townsend. Headless chicken. REALLY hope we have indeed won the race to sign VVD. I'm more convinced now that the transfer window is just to give the big clubs a month's head start...

Would be suprised if VVD moved before their second leg on Tuesday. Why insist he can't go before their qualifiers are done and then let him leave a couple of days before the biggest one?

Nine of their players were left out today.

He will play Tuesday and then go IMO.

Yes I would have thought so too, Tuesday's game is worth a lot of money to Celtic. I'd have thought they'd put out the best XI that they can get their hands on.

Once they've qualified then who cares, Scottish league is poor so they should walk it anyway and they haven't got a lot of hope of getting past the champ league group phase anyway.

Get to champ league group phase and sell up, how inspiring for their fans.

REALLY hope we don't sign Andros Townsend. Headless chicken. REALLY hope we have indeed won the race to sign VVD. I'm more convinced now that the transfer window is just to give the big clubs a month's head start...

Hoddle doesn't like the window either:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3207352/Deadline-day-panic-day-transfer-window-shut-season-begins.html

And on Wanyama the Mail on Sunday stirs the pot further:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-3207372/Victor-Wanyama-tells-Southampton-unhappy-wants-leave-midfielder-refusing-discuss-new-contract.html

That's not stirring the pot further. That story made me far less concerned than the Sky thing.

Get to champ league group phase and sell up, how inspiring for their fans.

Achieve Best league position for donkeys years and players leave....our lot isn't exactly inspiring no matter how often the #wemarchon ******** is repeated

I think we will announce the arrival of both VW and Vlaar on Wednesday

Vlaar just makes no sense to me unless:

1. Koeman wants to play 3 CBs a lot more often

2. One of the current CBs is leaving

Just don't see that we need 5 senior centre backs, barely any club has that many, plus Martina and McCarthy could play there if we had a major injury crisis and lost 3 of our 4 to injury/suspension.

Plus Vlaar said himself he doesn't expect to be back until 2016.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-aston-villa-defender-ron-6096251

If we need a 5th CB we could use Jack Stephens rather than have him sat on Middlesbrough's bench.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Vlaar just makes no sense to me unless:

1. Koeman wants to play 3 CBs a lot more often

2. One of the current CBs is leaving

Just don't see that we need 5 senior centre backs, barely any club has that many, plus Martina and McCarthy could play there if we had a major injury crisis and lost 3 of our 4 to injury/suspension.

Well firstly he's free (ish), secondly Fonte is no spring chicken any more (18 months older than Vlaar), Martina bought very much for cover and heard McCarthy keen on a loan. With Caulker on a 1 yearloan contract having Vlaar as cover for Gardos makes sense.

It has to be a nightmare for a manager having to deal with the start of the season and not knowing which players are coming or going. It is a no brainer the shut the window before the season starts.

Or do away with the window altogether, all it does is hype the media and give Sky reporters something to do.

Let's go back to it being open all season until the last Thursday in March.

This last minute trough gathering by the filthy rich is unbecoming.

Well firstly he's free (ish), secondly Fonte is no spring chicken any more (18 months older than Vlaar), Martina bought very much for cover and heard McCarthy keen on a loan. With Caulker on a 1 yearloan contract having Vlaar as cover for Gardos makes sense.

Caulker is cover for Gardos. VVD a replacement for Toby.

Most matchdays we would have 3 CBs (Caulker, Vlaar and Yoshida) not playing and possibly up to two of them not even on the bench.

If Martina is cover surely 5th CB is classed as cover!

Think how many times we needed a 5th CB last season, none I believe.

Or do away with the window altogether, all it does is hype the media and give Sky reporters something to do.

Let's go back to it being open all season until the last Thursday in March.

This last minute trough gathering by the filthy rich is unbecoming.

If I'm honest, that would make it worse. There is a tool for clubs to play the dirty and unsettle players most of the season then, no one will have a settled squad at any point.

In my opinion, it opens when the season ends (or 1st June) and closes the week before the start of the season (1st August). Scrap the January window as that offers zilch, but allow loans during that month.

But both Vlaar and Gardos are suffering long-term injuries which doesn't help us much for at least the first half of the season.

most definitely believe that the window should shut before the 1st game of the season.

I get the need to have one mid season but that does not see that much significant activity

The only thing the January window does is encourage clubs to spend stupid money, it's best keeping out of that window. That's why I think changing it to a 'loan window' will be a better idea. Will still give clubs the options to change/add depth if they need to, but will encourage them to get all their business done before the season starts. The way it should be, it'll just keep the season a lot tidier.

If I'm honest, that would make it worse. There is a tool for clubs to play the dirty and unsettle players most of the season then, no one will have a settled squad at any point.

In my opinion, it opens when the season ends (or 1st June) and closes the week before the start of the season (1st August). Scrap the January window as that offers zilch, but allow loans during that month.

Wel it worked for 80 odd years before the window was invented

Wel it worked for 80 odd years before the window was invented

Well, the game isn't the same game anymore. It's dominated by money, money talks. That's why there's a hell of a lot more speculation.

That method these days would just make things 100 times worse.

Well, the game isn't the same game anymore. It's dominated by money, money talks. That's why there's a hell of a lot more speculation.

That method these days would just make things 100 times worse.

Agree with this. Don't see why they cant just have one window from 1st June - 31st July

There is nothing to stop any club making it public that no player it considers it doesn't want to sell will leave once the season has started. It then has to enforce that. Once it is known by all that there is no way that club will waiver it would be better for all. Rumours would be meaningless.

You said you think a deal is in place didn't you?

It looks like it is going by all the reports/talk/ everywhere - and the fact there are no other rumors linking him with anyone else. It's been clear we've wanted him from day 1 and I'd imagine stuff has gone on in the background to a stage where things are agreed in principle ready for a deal to be done.

It looks like it is going by all the reports/talk/ everywhere - and the fact there are no other rumors linking him with anyone else. It's been clear we've wanted him from day 1 and I'd imagine stuff has gone on in the background to a stage where things are agreed in principle ready for a deal to be done.

Don't understand why Celtic come out and denied a deal in place for any club then?

most definitely believe that the window should shut before the 1st game of the season.

I get the need to have one mid season but that does not see that much significant activity

Agreed. It should close 31st July to allow managers to focus on the team they will have at least for the first half of the season. To work with a player, set up formations, styles of play etc and then have the player plucked from you 4 weeks later must be soul destroying.

Agreed. It should close 31st July to allow managers to focus on the team they will have at least for the first half of the season. To work with a player, set up formations, styles of play etc and then have the player plucked from you 4 weeks later must be soul destroying.

What about leagues in other countries that start earlier/later? Or should the entire system be set up to benefit us?

Do they have similar transfer windows?

Transfer windows are set by FIFA and do vary but generally most major European Leagues have the same or very similar window to England. The issue is not the date of the window, but the start of the leagues. Spain, for instance, generally starts 2 weeks later than England. So setting a transfer window to close 31 July (which I agree makes sense) means Spanish clubs would have to have their squads set up more than 3 weeks before their season starts. The transfer windows need to be co-ordinated nowadays because of the internationalisation of the top professional leagues. It would be difficult to have England close its window end July and Spain 3 weeks later, how would transfers be managed between the two countries?

My view is that at least the window if it is perceived to be necessary should at least close one week before the start of the latest major league, so this season that would probably have meant 15 August, still not ideal, but better than the current stupid date of 31 August/1 September which this season even corresponds to the international break.

Transfer windows are set by FIFA and do vary but generally most major European Leagues have the same or very similar window to England. The issue is not the date of the window, but the start of the leagues. Spain, for instance, generally starts 2 weeks later than England. So setting a transfer window to close 31 July (which I agree makes sense) means Spanish clubs would have to have their squads set up more than 3 weeks before their season starts. The transfer windows need to be co-ordinated nowadays because of the internationalisation of the top professional leagues. It would be difficult to have England close its window end July and Spain 3 weeks later, how would transfers be managed between the two countries?

My view is that at least the window if it is perceived to be necessary should at least close one week before the start of the latest major league, so this season that would probably have meant 15 August, still not ideal, but better than the current stupid date of 31 August/1 September which this season even corresponds to the international break.

I understand there are certain methods available to have FIFA make any decision you want them to.