CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

He lost his marker against the Icelandic team for the goal, it was accepted that he was poor against Kilmarnock and if any of our centre backs had been done in the air in the two games against Malmo in the same way as VVD he'd be slaughtered on here. He may be a talent but the answer, that's a big maybe for me. Especially for £10m.

As we are needing an instant solution in defence he will have to hit the ground running. Forgive me for remembering the euphoria of the Liverpool supporters on signing Lovren their defensive answer, but quickly turned on him when he wasn't quite what they thought they were getting. I just hope for his sake he is as good as people are expecting. If he signs for us he may well need time to adapt, time I'm prepared to give him.

Forgive me for remembering the euphoria of the Liverpool supporters on signing Lovren their defensive answer

The Lovren situation nicely highlights that players can be more effective in some teams than they are in others. There's just as much chance of VvD being our version of Lovren rather than Liverpool's version of Lovren. Or, as much chance of VvD being our version of Alderweireld rather than the Athletico Madrid version. Perhaps we shouldn't have signed Toby on loan last season on the basis that he didn't set the world alight at his previous club...?

Yours devil's advocately.... :)

These are all recent purchases who arrived without the expectations that seem to be pitched at Van Dijk. Yes it does happen when a team is being built. It depends if you're building from the bottom up again or from a strong position already attained. The quality or readiness has to be higher if it's the latter.

Agreed but they don't have a Fonte Wanyama and Romeu around helping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quite! However that's three goals from dead ball situations in the six yd box from Malmo. The DM's would hardly help there.

I'll admit to not seeing him play other than some clips but he clearly has some skills that Saints like/want (supposedly) and although it can be argued that in a poor league such as Scotland he should stand out, it can also be argued that in these lower levels it's harder to develop your potential fully. It seems like he will need to up his concentration levels and consistency and although the Premier League is a big step from the Scottish league, Wanyama managed it comfortably and so there is no reason to think VVD couldn't. Also he will have better players all around him and more protection. I would not be surprised if within a few months Caulker and VVD will be our regular partnership.

VVD seems to have pace and the ability to pass with two feet.

However he doesn't seem to be particularly 'physical' or 'switched on'

Really hope I am completely wrong but he seems to me to be a defensive version of Gaston Ramirez

On a separate tack both the Celtic and Malmo fans create wonderful atmospheres.

Quite! However that's three goals from dead ball situations in the six yd box from Malmo. The DM's would hardly help there.

Koeman not using a zonal marking system would. Its very hard to win a header if the manager wants you to statically mark space as opposed to the opponent who is able to take a run and jump at it.

I'll admit to not seeing him play other than some clips but he clearly has some skills that Saints like/want (supposedly) and although it can be argued that in a poor league such as Scotland he should stand out, it can also be argued that in these lower levels it's harder to develop your potential fully. It seems like he will need to up his concentration levels and consistency and although the Premier League is a big step from the Scottish league, Wanyama managed it comfortably and so there is no reason to think VVD couldn't. Also he will have better players all around him and more protection. I would not be surprised if within a few months Caulker and VVD will be our regular partnership.

Mark, those players you are talking about are struggling at the moment and VVD is supposed to be the missing link that gives us a cast iron defence. We played seven defensive players including three centre backs against a promoted team to try and stem the tide. Good as he looks at times there are other times he looks switched off. The Premier is a very unforgiving place and he will be up against some top class opponents. Get Bertrand back, Clasie in a midfield three and it may get a lot better as a team and it may be a lot easier for him to fit in successfully..

Mark, those players you are talking about are struggling at the moment and VVD is supposed to be the missing link that gives us a cast iron defence. We played seven defensive players including three centre backs against a promoted team to try and stem the tide. Good as he looks at times there are other times he looks switched off. The Premier is a very unforgiving place and he will be up against some top class opponents. Get Bertrand back, Clasie in a midfield three and it may get a lot better as a team and it may be a lot easier for him to fit in successfully..

I agree they are not playing to last seasons high standards but they are still quality players and so they will return to form much sooner than lower level players. The Europa league has this reputation for effecting teams in the first part of the season and I don't think it has much to do with the number of games but rather the fact that teams have to get competitive a week or two sooner and have a shorter time in pre season building unity, shape and rhythm before getting competitive. Koeman has hinted at lack of time on the training pitch and I think this is the problem he needs to sort out....plus a couple more attack minded players perhaps!

Chris Sutton is a tad over emotional here.

Haha just calling everyone an "idiot".

Sutton doesn't understand the rules either, because the ref shouldn't give a penalty and red card for such a handball when the ball was in the back of the net a split second later. Had the ref not deemed it a foul by Celtic he should have just allowed the goal to stand with no need for a penalty or sending off.