CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Hohohoho - very good.

Not filled the gaping hole in defence yet though, have we ?

But that's the point though isn't it? Not yet. Why don't we wait until 6pm on Tuesday and see then whether we need to get the lynch mob together and/or abandon ship? Sorry if this is too logical for anybody but I fail to see what good stamping our feet and clapping our hands now - other than inducing premature cardio-vascular failure - will do. Keep calm and then if the club fails to deliver by 6pm on the 1st, fill your boots.

But that's the point though isn't it? Not yet. Why don't we wait until 6pm on Tuesday and see then whether we need to get the lynch mob together and/or abandon ship? Sorry if this is too logical for anybody but I fail to see what good stamping our feet and clapping our hands now - other than inducing premature cardio-vascular failure - will do. Keep calm and then if the club fails to deliver by 6pm on the 1st, fill your boots.

You know you are clutching at straws. We were supposed to have a loan with option-to-buy agreeement in place and f**ked that up; there is no evidence the same group of incompetent fools will cold-sell this club to someone else at such a late stage. VVD would be a complete bellend to come here now. He's got Euro football at Celtic, and can probably re-negotiate his contract there to get more money if he wants.

VVD would be a complete bellend to come here now. He's got Euro football at Celtic

Celtic have a dreadful domestic schedule and 6 games in Europe... 2x Ajax, 2x Fenerbahce, 2x Molde

If van Dijk comes to Saints he gets 34/35 games this season in the world's most high profile league including 12 games vs... 2x Man Utd, 2x Man City, 2x Arsenal, 2x Chelsea, 2x Liverpool, 2x Spurs

and can probably re-negotiate his contract there to get more money if he wants.

Celtic can't compete with Saints on wages, Saints wage budget is significantly above theirs.

We were supposed to have a loan with option-to-buy agreeement in place and f**ked that up; there is no evidence the same group of incompetent fools will cold-sell this club to someone else at such a late stage.

Alderweireld? That chap who decided he wanted to play for Spurs regardless of when, what or how Saints bid for him?

Alpine doesn't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Am I reading too much into Guan's post on the "Sunday's reception" thread last night (below) by thinking that it was a subtle hint that VvD will be unveiled at the game on Sunday, or was it simply Guan joining in the frustration bun fight?

I guess the reception will be depend heavily on whether or not a new player is brought out before the match.

You know you are clutching at straws. We were supposed to have a loan with option-to-buy agreeement in place and f**ked that up; there is no evidence the same group of incompetent fools will cold-sell this club to someone else at such a late stage. VVD would be a complete bellend to come here now. He's got Euro football at Celtic, and can probably re-negotiate his contract there to get more money if he wants.

Please be reassured, I am not clutching at straws at all. I have no more idea than you whether the club will come good and get VVD and/or anybody else. They may do, they may not. My point was that getting angry now does no good whatsoever and is utterly pointless. If we need to pick up the proverbial pitchforks we can do so at 6.01 pm on 1/9/15. Until then, what's the point in giving oneself a coronary?

If we need to pick up the proverbial pitchforks we can do so at 6.01 pm on 1/9/15.

Surely that's too premature as well? If we're bottom 3 after c.10 games then that's probably the time to start the sabre-rattling? (for those that are inclined to do such things)

Surely that's too premature as well? If we're bottom 3 after c.10 games then that's probably the time to start the sabre-rattling? (for those that are inclined to do such things)

Trousers, I'm with you 100%. The point that I was trying to make was that anything earlier than 6.01 pm is utterly pointless and counter-productive. I'm all for waiting until 10 to 12 games in. Irrespective of our start, no judgements can be made on 3 league games.

Trousers, I'm with you 100%. The point that I was trying to make was that anything earlier than 6.01 pm is utterly pointless and counter-productive. I'm all for waiting until 10 to 12 games in. Irrespective of our start, no judgements can be made on 3 league games.

:thumbup:

I hope you're right. At the moment I'm panicking.

Alpine doesn't let facts get in the way of a good rant.

I do agree with Alps on this, as not pulling out the stops on Toby has most likely been interpreted clearly as a lack of ambition by the club in the eyes of other players. We did after all have the option on Toby and could have offered him a significant wage increase and still come in under Spurs offer with him then on side

I suspect the decider was the fact we did not offer Toby a salary near that that Spurs did, on the basis we needed to remain under our wage ceiling if we were to avoid upsetting others.

However it now appears others have been unsettled as they realise the wages they can command in this market when they talk to our departed players and Toby and this appears to have unsettled some key remaining players like VW and maybe even Fonte etc who feel they should be allowed to cash in too.

So the perceived lack of ambition and allowing some players to go off and earn huge increases but not others have actually been major contributory factors to our recent loss in form and lacklustre performances. It was after all the likes of Fonte that were apparently responsible for the great team ethic we had and in a funny way that may be why he himself was not allowed to move on and cash in and this was what Morgan felt last year.

My concern is if the players don't want to play in a committed manner to their full potential it doesn't matter how many super stars we get in we will just be a bunch of uncommitted expensive mercenaries like QPR were.

The question is do Les and co have the necessary emotional management skills to repair this damage or has the cancer spread to far already? This to me is much more serious than the quality of players we may or may not have and it really is out of Koemans hands which is why he looks so frustrated. He can only train the players put in front of him but cannot seriously influence their perceptions of the clubs ambition or the perception (and reality) that they are being paid less than their recent peers! Only Les Reed and co can resolve these issues not Koeman.

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

I think this will go to deadline day. They are obviously holding out for the best deal they can which is understandable.

Hopefully he isn't fussed about Europa League football.

We certainly didn't seem to be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do agree with Alps on this, as not pulling out the stops on Toby has most likely been interpreted clearly as a lack of ambition by the club in the eyes of other players. We did after all have the option on Toby and could have offered him a significant wage increase and still come in under Spurs offer with him then on side

I suspect the decider was the fact we did not offer Toby a salary near that that Spurs did, on the basis we needed to remain under our wage ceiling if we were to avoid upsetting others.

However it now appears others have been unsettled as they realise the wages they can command in this market when they talk to our departed players and Toby and this appears to have unsettled some key remaining players like VW and maybe even Fonte etc who feel they should be allowed to cash in too.

So the perceived lack of ambition and allowing some players to go off and earn huge increases but not others have actually been major contributory factors to our recent loss in form and lacklustre performances. It was after all the likes of Fonte that were apparently responsible for the great team ethic we had and in a funny way that may be why he himself was not allowed to move on and cash in and this was what Morgan felt last year.

My concern is if the players don't want to play in a committed manner to their full potential it doesn't matter how many super stars we get in we will just be a bunch of uncommitted expensive mercenaries like QPR were.

The question is do Les and co have the necessary emotional management skills to repair this damage or has the cancer spread to far already? This to me is much more serious than the quality of players we may or may not have and it really is out of Koemans hands which is why he looks so frustrated. He can only train the players put in front of him but cannot seriously influence their perceptions of the clubs ambition or the perception (and reality) that they are being paid less than their recent peers! Only Les Reed and co can resolve these issues not Koeman.

Or he could be interested in playing for a big club which is likely to finish in the top 6.

We have had a couple of good seasons and it would be pretty surprising if we had a third especially as I think PL results were not that good in the final games last season.

That's why Saints stuffed Vitesse five nothing to get into the next round of the competition "we didn't want to be in".

Of course...

Sorry, was basing it on two shambles performances with seemingly zero in the way of commitment or tactical guidance

Very perceptive post. Which explains how newly promoted teams like Bournemouth and Norwich have such spirit ! They are happy in the first year or so to be on the big stage and hungry top prove themselves. I also suspect some Saints players have allowed 'success' last year to go their heads and believe they are now 'just have to turn up' Well, they were given a bloody nose last night and against Watford and if they are not careful they will be knocked to the floor on Sunday.

If van Dijk comes to Saints he gets games this season in the world's most high profile league including 12 games vs... 2x Man Utd, 2x Man City, 2x Arsenal, 2x Chelsea, 2x Liverpool, 2x Spurs

[/font][/color]

A great opportunity to lose against the best.

Celtic have a dreadful domestic schedule and 6 games in Europe... 2x Ajax, 2x Fenerbahce, 2x Molde

If van Dijk comes to Saints he gets 34/35 games this season in the world's most high profile league including 12 games vs... 2x Man Utd, 2x Man City, 2x Arsenal, 2x Chelsea, 2x Liverpool, 2x Spurs

Celtic can't compete with Saints on wages, Saints wage budget is significantly above theirs.

Guess he would have to get used to not receiving win bonuses nearly every week.

I also believe that our failure to attract Toby was a pivotal issue for the club. Had we signed him it would have shown that it is possible for a club like ours to sign 'top six' players and thus raised our profile. I'm not sure whether it was entirely the club's fault though. By all accounts Toby's head was turned by the other Spurs Belgian players at the internationals and so he may have always going to chose them over us.

I also believe that our failure to attract Toby was a pivotal issue for the club. Had we signed him it would have shown that it is possible for a club like ours to sign 'top six' players and thus raised our profile. I'm not sure whether it was entirely the club's fault though. By all accounts Toby's head was turned by the other Spurs Belgian players at the internationals and so he may have always going to chose them over us.

I believe that Toby WAS coming to us but we made the ultra naive assumption that a contract in football is worth the paper it is written on, faffed about over it, and then watched Spurs walk in and take him from under our noses. Nope - the club regally screwed up over this one and I am not blaming Toby for that.

I believe that Toby WAS coming to us but we made the ultra naive assumption that a contract in football is worth the paper it is written on, faffed about over it, and then watched Spurs walk in and take him from under our noses. Nope - the club regally screwed up over this one and I am not blaming Toby for that.

Nah, for all my annoyance at the club's transfer policy in not buying a decent attacking midfielder, I'm happy to accept that Toby probably just fancied playing for a London club with his international teammates. The idea that he'd feel any loyalty or obligation towards us after a season on loan is just silly, and I'm sure the loan conversion terms always depended on the player agreeing to a permanent move. At the end of the day, he chose to go to Spurs rather than us, and I doubt it had anything to do with us 'p*ssing about' or whatever the accusation is. He said he enjoyed his year here, but you can't read anything more into that that politeness.

Yes, someone is definitely making naive assumptions here.

TRANSFER EXCLUSIVE: @ManUtd have agreed a fee with @celticfc of £10m + Tyler Blackett for the services of Dutch defender Virgil Van Dijk

So says someone called Simon Rowntree on Twitter. No idea on reliability...

That would be hilarious. Been waiting all month for VvD. Then the waiting game fails - again

:|

TRANSFER EXCLUSIVE: @ManUtd have agreed a fee with @celticfc of £10m + Tyler Blackett for the services of Dutch defender Virgil Van Dijk

So says someone called Simon Rowntree on Twitter. No idea on reliability...

Looking through his tweets, he called Van Gaal and Woodward "certified Paedophiles" for missing out on Otamendi and Pedro, not sure he's reliable.

Looking through his tweets, he called Van Gaal and Woodward "certified Paedophiles" for missing out on Otamendi and Pedro, not sure he's reliable.

@Simon_Rowntree: It has been brought to our attention that Dr Carneiro also had a threesome with Ivanovic and fellow Serb Matic. You can tell she has a type.

His wages at Atletico were pretty hefty I thought, around 75k per week more than anyone else in our squad last season.