CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Only six days before this farce is over. Maybe it would be better if the transfer window was the first week in july and the first week in January. Be a lot less boring. The tv and press would have a whole lot less time to peddle their stories.

Are we sure someone is signing today?

Yes, Vic for Spuds ;) We were told by The Star that Vlaar was going to sign today which sounded rubbish last week and even more so now. Celtic are still smarting from their exit from the CL so I am sure the last thing they would do is to sell VvD immediately after that exit. Still several days to go. Hang in there.

A Celtic mate just told me VvD is joint Spurs to join up with vic and co

I knew it was a wind up when he said foster is likely to join them in the Jan window whe he is fit again

That was worth coming in the forum for thanks.

Interesting view on him on FiveLive last night from a local journalist. Says VvD is mutton dressed as lamb. Looks like a thoroughbred in the Scottish League, but as soon as he plays anyone even half decent he gets destroyed. I think the phrase was, "£10m, good luck to Southampton as he's not worth anything near that much!"

Interesting view on him on FiveLive last night from a local journalist. Says VvD is mutton dressed as lamb. Looks like a thoroughbred in the Scottish League, but as soon as he plays anyone even half decent he gets destroyed. I think the phrase was, "£10m, good luck to Southampton as he's not worth anything near that much!"

Similar things were said about Wanyama. The Prem was going to be too quick for Wanyama. VVD will be awesome.

The exact quote was that 'Southampton must have more money than sense' and 'he's a thoroughbred in the SPL but when up he's been up against clever attacking players in Europe he's been found wanting'. I've got family in Glasgow and they've all said the same thing tbf, undoubtedly has good ability and potential but he's nowhere near the finished article. I think he'll be a good addition but to expect him to go straight into the side and pick up where Toby left off is a huge ask IMO.

The exact quote was that 'Southampton must have more money than sense' and 'he's a thoroughbred in the SPL but when up he's been up against clever attacking players in Europe he's been found wanting'. I've got family in Glasgow and they've all said the same thing tbf, undoubtedly has good ability and potential but he's nowhere near the finished article. I think he'll be a good addition but to expect him to go straight into the side and pick up where Toby left off is a huge ask IMO.

Sounds a bit like sour grapes to me. No, he is not the finished article! Early 20s is still young for a centre back and if he were a world beater at this moment in time, we wouldn't be able to afford him nor would he be interested in coming here.

we kind of need him to be very good almost immediately

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Ron will know the player and the club will have done their homework. I am looking forwarded to seeing him play in our colours.

I think the same was said about Fonte and look how far he has come.

VVD needs to be tested every week in order to develop.

You can't expect Andy Murray to be good against Federer if he playing every week against average players.

You have to be playing with the best to be the best!

You can't expect Andy Murray to be good against Federer if he playing every week against average players.

Also, as has already been said, if he was the best we wouldn't stand any chance of getting him!!

The best way to avoid disappointment is not to have great expectations!

A pessimist is NEVER disappointed.

I find being a pessimist a very useful character trait supporting Saints.

However to live a happy and generally fulfilling life you need to find a partner who is the exact opposite. Luckily for me my wife is just that.. positive about everything. We balance out quite well :)

A pessimist is NEVER disappointed.

I find being a pessimist a very useful character trait supporting Saints.

However to live a happy and generally fulfilling life you need to find a partner who is the exact opposite. Luckily for me my wife is just that.. positive about everything. We balance out quite well :)

Exactly the same with me and the missus, complete chalk and cheese!

I simply cannot accept these two words in the same sentence.

Alpine is an extremely unrealistic optimist unfortunately for him. And he seems to have an issue with not getting what he wants. When the two are combined it gets, hmm, shall we just say messy? Doesn't make him any less of a saints fan. And I find him far more bearable than the people on here who just insult other members for having a different view.

It is one thing having a different view - and isn't that why most of us come on here? To read other people's viewpoints and debate issues?

What I find difficult about Alpine and his ilk is the wild jumping to negative conclusions virtually all the time. Yes, they have a right to do that, but bloody hell, it is SO tiresome.

It is one thing to wet the bed with just cause, another to wet the bed when you are no firm need to.

There is absolutely no point in kicking off about our dealings in the transfer window until it is closed. Only then will we know exactly who we have bought and who we have sold - but the bedwetting started the minute the window opened. It is the same every frickin year!!! Why oh why do they bother?

I agree with this and the other points about VVD coming good, being young and having the potential to develop into a very good CB... but is that what we need right now? This deal is supposed to be a replacement for Alderweireld, somebody able to step in and be very good almost immediately (aside from the time needed to form partnerships, learn our style and tempt etc etc). The basics of being a good CB should be in place already, especially for £10m.

That's not to say I think it's a bad move, I just worry that we need quality, solidity and experience at CB today and VVD might not be the answer (today).

Didn't Vic and Fraser get written off before they had even kicked a ball for us? Ron knows a thing or two about defending. I doubt he would want van Dijk if the guy wasn't ready for Prem football yet. And at least he is a 1st team regular. Athletico wanted rid of Toby and no one knew how he would get on in the Prem. That didn't work out too badly did it? (apart from the Spuds bit of course).

Didn't Vic and Fraser get written off before they had even kicked a ball for us? Ron knows a thing or two about defending. I doubt he would want van Dijk if the guy wasn't ready for Prem football yet. And at least he is a 1st team regular. Athletico wanted rid of Toby and no one knew how he would get on in the Prem. That didn't work out too badly did it? (apart from the Spuds bit of course).

EVERY player gets written off (by us fans at least) before they've kicked a ball for us

I agree with this and the other points about VVD coming good, being young and having the potential to develop into a very good CB... but is that what we need right now? This deal is supposed to be a replacement for Alderweireld, somebody able to step in and be very good almost immediately (aside from the time needed to form partnerships, learn our style and tempt etc etc). The basics of being a good CB should be in place already, especially for £10m.

That's not to say I think it's a bad move, I just worry that we need quality, solidity and experience at CB today and VVD might not be the answer (today).

I hate to say it but I think we got lucky with Toby, we all knew getting an established player of his quality was one hell of a deal even in the short term.

We would have to get very lucky again to be able to bring that sort of established quality to the club while keeping a stable club. Signing players with the potential to be top class is, probably, the right strategy for us as a club.

Agree with this completely. I hope we do sign him but as I said previously it's a tall ask for him to step straight into the team and be as good as Toby was.

Agree with this completely. I hope we do sign him but as I said previously it's a tall ask for him to step straight into the team and be as good as Toby was.

Maybe it's for the best in the long term if he gets a bedding in season. Rather than Saints performing well and having to offload our key performers it might be good for us to finish 10th and hold onto our core for another push the following season

Well I hope the club get this one over the line as it looks like the other player we were linked with, Koulibali, is off to Norwich!!!

Makes you wonder if we were ever in for him? If so, it's worrying that we're losing out on players to the likes of Norwich.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd