CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 2m2 minutes ago

#CFC's Oriol Romeu close to joining #SaintsFC on a permanent deal, but seems nothing's in the offing with Celtic's Virgil van Dijk right now

So, who to believe? Peach or Grant? :)

Edit: unless the club have asked Peach to put out that message as they are worried about the deal being hijacked by other clubs putting in a knee jerk counter bid if they get too much whiff of Saints being very close to sealing things? #morethinkingoutloudnonsensefromtrousers

Edited by trousers

So, who to believe? Peach or Grant? :)

Edit: unless the club have asked Peach to put out that message as they are worried about the deal being hijacked by other clubs putting in a knee jerk counter bid if they get too much whiff of Saints being very close to sealing things? #morethinkingoutloudnonsensefromtrousers

I think Steve said above that VVD could well end up staying at Celtic til later this month, so that would tie in with Peach comments.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach 2m2 minutes ago

#CFC's Oriol Romeu close to joining #SaintsFC on a permanent deal, but seems nothing's in the offing with Celtic's Virgil van Dijk right now

Keep in mind what our ITKers have said about the agreement in place about no news leaking. Can you imagine Simon Peach phoning Jordan Sibley to ask if there is any truth in the VVD medical rumours and being told 'yes'? Pretty sure that they will keep quiet until it's signed and sealed.

I think Steve said above that VVD could well end up staying at Celtic til later this month, so that would tie in with Peach comments.

I would count 'having a medical today' as falling in the 'something in the offing' bracket, hence Peach saying that "nothing is in the offing" could imply that here wasn't a medical today, and therefore be at odds with SG's statement. That said, I appreciate I'm probably reading too much into the choice of words (just for once) and that they could equally be on the same hymn sheet.

Edited by trousers

I think he will be great.

However, standing out in the scottish premier league is a bit like owning league 1

Sorry for bringing this back up but while you may not be far from the truth there, van Dijk can and will make it to the very top if he's smart with his transfer(s) and has the right attitude - which he does at the moment.

He doesn't just stand out up here, it's like men against boys stuff. He's incredible.

Sorry for bringing this back up but while you may not be far from the truth there, van Dijk can and will make it to the very top if he's smart with his transfer(s) and has the right attitude - which he does at the moment.

He doesn't just stand out up here, it's like men against boys stuff. He's incredible.

I literally watch no Scottish football at all these days, it just doesn't interest me, but the results from the club's recruitment over recent years has earned my trust that they can spot a player, even if he's playing in a league that's apparently barely fit for purpose. We've done pretty well out of the players we've signed from north of the border, which considering the apparent lack of talent there, seems pretty impressive. If they think VVD is the real deal, fine by me :thumbup:

Suppose the next stage of this ongoing saga is checking the hoops team sheet tonight! Would imagine VVD will be on it! Just cant see Celtic letting him go before Malmo!

Kick-off is 19:45 so eyes peeled at c.18:45 for team news.

So, if he's not in the squad that means he was either having a medical 'down south' and couldn't get back in time, or is injured. Whereas, if he's in the squad that means either he didn't have a medical 'down south' today, or he did have a medical and managed to fly back in time for the game.

That'll be conclusive then.... :)

So, if he's not in the squad that means he was either having a medical 'down south' and couldn't get back in time, or is injured. Whereas, if he's in the squad that means either he didn't have a medical 'down south' today, or he did have a medical and managed to fly back in time for the game.

As mud yes lol!! My guess is that we are talking, he didn't have a medical, he will play tonight, Delia will say there has been no bid, RK will say nothing, Peachy and Big Ad will argue and we get him at end of month!

I believe they even have doctors in Scotland now so no need to be an NHS health tourist anymore, he could have had a medical in Glasgow?

He's in the squad for tonight... Oh well - at least we can watch him on TV

DEILA HOPES TO KEEP VAN DIJK

Virgil van Dijk seems to be a wanted man this window, but Celtic boss Ronny Deila still hopes to keep hold of the defender.

Van Dijk has reportedly attracted interest from a number of Premier League clubs, including Southampton, but Deila told Sky Sports News HQ: "He is staying with Celtic.

"You never know with football but we don’t need to sell him, we need him through the (Champions League) qualifiers and hopefully if we get through he has a view to playing Champions League football with us."

DEILA HOPES TO KEEP VAN DIJK

Virgil van Dijk seems to be a wanted man this window, but Celtic boss Ronny Deila still hopes to keep hold of the defender.

Van Dijk has reportedly attracted interest from a number of Premier League clubs, including Southampton, but Deila told Sky Sports News HQ: "He is staying with Celtic.

"You never know with football but we don’t need to sell him, we need him through the (Champions League) qualifiers and hopefully if we get through he has a view to playing Champions League football with us."

Sounds like the sort of thing Les & Co* would say to the media when wanting to keep our better players...

*Les & Co... not to be confused with....

TOTPA78.jpg

CHEATING Virgil van Dijk pestered a THIRD woman for a sordid hook-up before she gave him the elbow when she discovered his missus is pregnant.

Hairdresser Geraldine O’Donnell, 23, claims the love-rat Celtic star bombarded her with sleazy online requests.

This from the Scotland Sun. Seems he is fond of playing away from home!

A couple of games in a competition that you have no hope of winning or join a club competing in the Premiership and earn lots more money.......hmmmmm.........what would I do?

Depends on the motivation of the individual I suppose? If money isn't your overriding motivator and playing at the highest level is then.........

Eg my dream is to see saints play at camp nou in the champions league and as long as it was within my means then the money to do that would be insignificant to me. [emoji3]

CHEATING Virgil van Dijk pestered a THIRD woman for a sordid hook-up before she gave him the elbow when she discovered his missus is pregnant.

Hairdresser Geraldine O’Donnell, 23, claims the love-rat Celtic star bombarded her with sleazy online requests.

This from the Scotland Sun. Seems he is fond of playing away from home!

Virgil too much Dijk?

The more I see of him (e.g. last night) plus these paper reports, his choice of girlfriend etc, the less I want him at the club. Last night he looked pretty lazy, slack, casual. Hardly striving with every sinew for the win. I'm not sure he has the right attitude. I know that the club are supposed to be great at doing this sort of 'homework' so hopefully they know what they are doing. We have such a good dressing room, the last thing we need is a bad influence. Maybe it could work the other way and the professionalism of our squad could impact on him? He's only a young man so maybe the Prem is just what he needs to raise his game and his attitude.

Depends on the motivation of the individual I suppose? If money isn't your overriding motivator and playing at the highest level is then.........

Eg my dream is to see saints play at camp nou in the champions league and as long as it was within my means then the money to do that would be insignificant to me. [emoji3]

I assumed he played in the CL for Celtic last year so would have had a taste of that already. Celtic wont last long in the competition and the weekly football north of the border cant be as much as a thrill as playing against the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United.