CONFIRMED - Virgil Van Dijk joins on Five Year Deal

Brizzie Saints

this is in no way indicative of anything, anytime, but:

bought virgil on fifa. freaking incredible. Reminds me of naldo at wolfsburg - just an utter beast of muscle and presence. He's become my first choice. Out of interest, if anyone cares, I managed to get this team on fifa 2015 together just using January transfer window, (I didn't use the option to do 1st summer window signings), not too shabby at all:

Forster

Bertrand

Virgil

Fonte

Van der Wiel

Schneiderlin

Wanyama

Matteo Darmian

Mane

Rodriguez

Lacazette

Eddie, are you 11?

Different players and all that but who's the pick of the bunch (including from your current squad)?

From those 4, as you say it's completely different types of players, but...in terms of who I think will go the furthest in the game then van Dijk. As I say, he has everything. Wanyama can go far as well though.

From the current bunch, other than Virgil, then Bitton is the most talented. Strolls through games.

From those 4, as you say it's completely different types of players, but...in terms of who I think will go the furthest in the game then van Dijk. As I say, he has everything. Wanyama can go far as well though.

From the current bunch, other than Virgil, then Bitton is the most talented. Strolls through games.

Forwards this to Les reed :suspicious:

Celtic could be set to revive their interest in Club Brugge defender Brandon Mechele with speculation continuing to mount regarding the future of Virgil van Dijk, writes the Evening Times.

Celtic have good scouting network. Maybe should sign him direct and miss out the middleman...

Indeed.

It does seem like a selling point when players join though..."prove yourself in the prem and we'll let you go and play for a top side."

That is a good reason for the best up-and-coming players to come here. And we make a packet and buy even better.

Celtic have good scouting network. Maybe should sign him direct and miss out the middleman...

Liverpool would like to cut us out of the process too and go straight to buying Celtic's targets. Maybe the two clubs in the middle can receive a small consolation fee?

I posted that story on here 10 days ago after it being mentioned by the Moose on Talksport.

The New Moon arrives Saturday so we can expect movement in transfers thereafter.

I've always wondered, please can you explain what the moon has to do with the transfer window? (Sorry if asked by someone else previously, I try and avoid most threads where possible)

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/celtic-star-virgil-van-dijk-6236987

Hopefully the Saints Insider isn't Alex Crook!

Also in De Telegraaf:

http://m.telegraaf.nl/telesport/article/24365333/van-dijk-dicht-bij-transfer-naar-southampton

Looks like we will need to wait, but could well get the player which would be great.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Thought I'd check the Celtic forums to see what they think - and they speak of him in the same way as we spoke of Morgan. To impress at a club as big as Celtic, the way he has done, shows what an insane talent he is. They all believe that he can become one of the best CB's in European football - big call.

But I also came across our old friend MLG trying to ram pointless facts down their throats, about how we were never in admin or something.

Thought I'd check the Celtic forums to see what they think - and they speak of him in the same way as we spoke of Morgan. To impress at a club as big as Celtic, the way he has done, shows what an insane talent he is. They all believe that he can become one of the best CB's in European football - big call.

But I also came across our old friend MLG trying to ram pointless facts down their throats, about how we were never in admin or something.

I think he will be great.

However, standing out in the scottish premier league is a bit like owning league 1

I think he will be great.

However, standing out in the scottish premier league is a bit like owning league 1

Like Morgan, Lallana and Rickie did then?

You can tell he's a PL player by watching him, if there's one criticism it's that he can be a bit casual - but that's fixable. He's got all the tools for sure.

Big Vic stood out at Celtic, so did Fraser, and they're both terrific players for us.

Like Morgan, Lallana and Rickie did then?

You can tell he's a PL player by watching him, if there's one criticism it's that he can be a bit casual - but that's fixable. He's got all the tools for sure.

Big Vic stood out at Celtic, so did Fraser, and they're both terrific players for us.

those players had a year in the championship where they played for a side top of the league and we had the ball constantly

Just a bit much to say VvD is an insane talent because he is the best CB in scotland. i would like to say he is an insane talent because of his time in England. We will (rightly) have to wait and see

Vic was the best CM in scotland. He was horrendous at passing when he came to us

Hooper was the best striker in scotland....how is it going for him

I think VvD will be great but he will no doubt, need time to adjust as coming from such a poor league

and the bulk of the team that owned league one also excelled in the prem leading to hasty exits to top6 clubs

we never jumped from league 1 to the premier league though, did we.

that season in the championship would have been incredibly valuable for the squad as a whole

that season in the championship would have been incredibly valuable for the squad as a whole

I guess so but personally I felt Rickie, Lallana and Morgan would have made the jump from L1 to prem without the experience of the Championship.

The logic has been a explained to you by many posters many times, why are you still struggling?

You still honestly prefer saints to be like the rest of the teams who don't have players bigger clubs want?

Its a no brainer isn't it. I shall start worrying when none of the top clubs want any of our players.

'Koeman not pursuing any other targets'. Crikey

In respect of a CB with Virgil almost being wrapped up,let's hope so.

With reference to any other in comings i hope not!

We need a decent DM......

I'm yet to be convinced ,yes I know he's only just joined etc,Clasie will cut the mustard.......let's hope he comes up to speed and not regularly on the treatment table.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

van Dijk has had two seasons of European football with Celtic. That is a higher level than League One of the Championship, Celtic played...

2013/14 Champions League group stage vs Barcelona, AC Milan & Ajax

2014/15 Europa League group stage vs RB Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb, Astra Giurglu and a final 32 tie vs Inter Milan

And haven't seen this come up yet here but since people love compilations, here's some Champions League highlights from him:

van Dijk has had two seasons of European football with Celtic. That is a higher level than League One of the Championship, Celtic played...

2013/14 Champions League group stage vs Barcelona, AC Milan & Ajax

2014/15 Europa League group stage vs RB Salzburg, Dinamo Zagreb, Astra Giurglu and a final 32 tie vs Inter Milan

gary hooper?

didnt he score against those sort of clubs?

cant buy a game these days

just saying, I think we as fans should hold off the 'insane signing' statements. unfair expectation on the lad

I reckon he will be at St Marys, if not in our squad, for the game this weekend

09:39

SAINTS ON BRINK OF VAN DIJK DEAL

Southampton are hopeful of landing Celtic defender Virgil van Dijk even if Ronny Deila’s side reach the Champions League Group stage, writes the Daily Record.

The report suggests Ronald Koeman is on the brink of securing a £10m deal for the defender and he hopes the deal will be completed before the September 1.

"hopes"? Hardly on the brink then.

We are playing a cool hand but they hold the aces.