Chelsea v Saints build up

vince

I can't say I'm too bothered about our largely foreign team because we've done our bit for English youth. We've got Chambers, Shaw, Lallana, Surman, Walcott, Chamberlain and Bale all out there who came from our youth team. The fact that they aren't here now is beyond our control.

If every club put the effort in to youth we did, the Premier League would be flooded with talented English players.

I'm just going to pretend you said British :D

Very much approve of the inverted commas around "English" as there isn't very much that is English about most teams in the higher levels of the Premier League, including I'm sad to say, Southampton. At least we still aren't as bad as some, despite our Swiss ownership and Dutch management as we do still have a smattering of English players and the prospects of others through the Academy. But the Big Four have really become foreign football clubs playing in the colours of what used to be English football teams, so how they get on in European competition is of no interest to very many English football fans.

How very true - and how very regrettable.

We can play a quick game with Pelle.

What some underestimate is the amount of attention he gets, which should free up time and space around him.

The reason why all too often he hasn't been influential (as opposed to poor) away from home is not down to him but down to the defensive lineup and tactics we have deployed.

Get the ball to him quick, on the deck, runners around him and behind the lines quickly and we can do a job on Chelsea.

Go defensive with an absent midfield and we will get destroyed.

When have we ever got the ball quickly to Pelle 'on the deck', is that likely against Chelsea's midfield?

What's he gonna do, bend fd and trap it with his chest? Pelle has the turning circle of a supertanker and isn't a 'to feet' player.

Why will we have an absent midfield? 3 from VW, Rom/SD/JWP are more than capable of DAJFU.

Ideal scenario is to scrap and frustrate, score from a set piece/penno on 80 minutes and then battle to hang on. I predict heroics from VD (ooh), and Stek, hope Fonte is up for it, JWP to continue his recent performances, maybe an assist from Tadic. I doubt we will have time to breathe. let alone 'get runners around him'.

Very much approve of the inverted commas around "English" as there isn't very much that is English about most teams in the higher levels of the Premier League, including I'm sad to say, Southampton. At least we still aren't as bad as some, despite our Swiss ownership and Dutch management as we do still have a smattering of English players and the prospects of others through the Academy. But the Big Four have really become foreign football clubs playing in the colours of what used to be English football teams, so how they get on in European competition is of no interest to very many English football fans.

The following our home grown players now playing for the big 4 from just our club.

Oxlade - Arsenal

Walcott - Arsenal

Chambers - Arsenal

Clyne - Liverpool

Lallana - Liverpool

Ings - Liverpool

Morgan - United

Shaw - United

Not really that bad a spread of home grown talen amongst the big clubs, and hardly surprising that given we have sold that much of the golden generation we have to wait a couple of seasons for the next big bunch to come to fruition.

Arsenal have a lot of British players, as do United and Liverpool, Chelsea have a lot coming through but its either too much fun to knock them or just other fan's ignorance in writing them off. They still play Terry and Cahil at CB most games regardless.

As for our "smattering" We can still field Long, Bertrand, Targett, JWP, Reed, Hesketh, McQueen, Debyao, Seager, Gallagher, stephens, turnbull etc etc (e.g. the next generation) if we wished, not to mention having Forster injured. I don't think your comment is particularity fair on a lot of the top clubs nor on saints. You simply can't sell in the numbers we have and expect the next generation to be ready at the click of the fingers.... they are there, the club has committed to them and their development, but they just need a few years to develop.

Then you have clubs like Everton and Spurs who are laden with British talents in recent years. Compared to the past 10 years the growth and numbers of English talents has certainly turned the corner and looks promising.

The following our home grown players now playing for the big 4 from just our club.

Oxlade - Arsenal

Walcott - Arsenal

Chambers - Arsenal

Clyne - Liverpool

Lallana - Liverpool

Ings - Liverpool

Morgan - United

Shaw - United

Ings is stretching it a bit. Anyway Liverpool are not Top 4 (Chelsea, Man City, Man U & Arsenal)

Not sure how you include Long in the "smattering", he isn't British. You could however include Davis instead, as technically he is British, you could also include Caulker for that matter although on loan.

When have we ever got the ball quickly to Pelle 'on the deck', is that likely against Chelsea's midfield?

What's he gonna do, bend fd and trap it with his chest? Pelle has the turning circle of a supertanker and isn't a 'to feet' player.

Why will we have an absent midfield? 3 from VW, Rom/SD/JWP are more than capable of DAJFU.

Ideal scenario is to scrap and frustrate, score from a set piece/penno on 80 minutes and then battle to hang on. I predict heroics from VD (ooh), and Stek, hope Fonte is up for it, JWP to continue his recent performances, maybe an assist from Tadic. I doubt we will have time to breathe. let alone 'get runners around him'.

I think that's the most saintsweb sentence and set of acronyms I've ever seen

Oxlade - Arsenal

Walcott - Arsenal

Chambers - Arsenal

Clyne - Liverpool

Lallana - Liverpool

Ings - Liverpool

Morgan - United

Shaw - United

Not really that bad a spread of home grown talen amongst the big clubs, and hardly surprising that given we have sold that much of the golden generation we have to wait a couple of seasons for the next big bunch to come to fruition.

Arsenal have a lot of British players, as do United and Liverpool, Chelsea have a lot coming through but its either too much fun to knock them or just other fan's ignorance in writing them off. They still play Terry and Cahil at CB most games regardless.

As for our "smattering" We can still field Long, Bertrand, Targett, JWP, Reed, Hesketh, McQueen, Debyao, Seager, Gallagher, stephens, turnbull etc etc (e.g. the next generation) if we wished, not to mention having Forster injured. I don't think your comment is particularity fair on a lot of the top clubs nor on saints. You simply can't sell in the numbers we have and expect the next generation to be ready at the click of the fingers.... they are there, the club has committed to them and their development, but they just need a few years to develop.

Then you have clubs like Everton and Spurs who are laden with British talents in recent years. Compared to the past 10 years the growth and numbers of English talents has certainly turned the corner and looks promising.

Was Ings ever at our club? Don't remember that.

We can play a quick game with Pelle.

What some underestimate is the amount of attention he gets, which should free up time and space around him.

The reason why all too often he hasn't been influential (as opposed to poor) away from home is not down to him but down to the defensive lineup and tactics we have deployed.

Get the ball to him quick, on the deck, runners around him and behind the lines quickly and we can do a job on Chelsea.

Go defensive with an absent midfield and we will get destroyed.

That is why I like Mane behind Pelle. Pelle gets the attention. Mane speeds through and assists or scores.

Oxlade - Arsenal

Walcott - Arsenal

Chambers - Arsenal

Clyne - Liverpool

Lallana - Liverpool

Ings - Liverpool

Morgan - United

Shaw - United

Clyne is a big stretch. I think Crystal Palace can claim him.

Koeman: "I'll decide tomorrow if Clasie is ready to be included in the squad vs Chelsea"

The You Tube interview suggests not, or at least certainly not as a starter.

No point rushing him as he can use the Intl break to get fully fit.

Even when he played he looked a littlw heavy and slugish so wouldnt do him any harm to just have more training first before playing, especially as its Chelsea.

Even when he played he looked a littlw heavy and slugish so wouldnt do him any harm to just have more training first before playing, especially as its Chelsea.

No it doesn't it says exactly that.

No it doesn't it says exactly that.

The BBC website says fans of Premiership clubs are all protesting against ticket prices. Are any Saints fans doing anything at the Chelsea game? Not attending would seem to be the only real way of protesting about prices, but I guess that isn't going to happen.

The BBC website says fans of Premiership clubs are all protesting against ticket prices. Are any Saints fans doing anything at the Chelsea game? Not attending would seem to be the only real way of protesting about prices, but I guess that isn't going to happen.

Threaten to bring back hooliganism unless ticket prices are lowered. That would hit them in the pocket, extra policing etc, far more than a few whinging fans could.

Ings is stretching it a bit. Anyway Liverpool are not Top 4 (Chelsea, Man City, Man U & Arsenal)

Not sure how you include Long in the "smattering", he isn't British. You could however include Davis instead, as technically he is British, you could also include Caulker for that matter although on loan.

From the perspective of a Passport you are correct but technically neither he nor I are British in that Great Britain comprises England Scotland and Wales. The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Which brings me to one puzzle - why in the Olympics are we referred to as GB and Northern Ireland where it would be much more efficient to describe the team as UK.

You can say that again

In the You Tube interview RK says with the Intl break they may not risk him. Certainly makes it seem less rather than more likely he is involved.

"Maybe its too fast for Jordy to be part of the team because its not necessary to take the risk" is the exact quote.

Edited by Saint Charlie

From the perspective of a Passport you are correct but technically neither he nor I are British in that Great Britain comprises England Scotland and Wales. The UK is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Which brings me to one puzzle - why in the Olympics are we referred to as GB and Northern Ireland where it would be much more efficient to describe the team as UK.

I know very well what the UK is. Definition of British, an adjective referring to something of, from, or related to the United Kingdom or the island of Great Britain. People born in Northern Ireland are technically British, whether or not they hold a British or Irish passport. My wife is definitely British, she was born in Northern Ireland. I would agree that she doesn't come from Great Britain, but that's another matter.

Also, "British" as in British Isles, always good for an argument with an Irishman.

We're GB and GBR for some reason, UK is never really used as an abbreviation, even with car stickers.

Also, "British" as in British Isles, always good for an argument with an Irishman.

We're GB and GBR for some reason, UK is never really used as an abbreviation, even with car stickers.

I was told the Great Britain was the big island, the one on which I happen to live. Geographically all the rest are the British Isles, if not politically. Little Britain is now called Brittany.

Worried Chelsea finally click and batter us - they can't go on like they have been for too much longer. On the flip side, their form suggests the game is winnable and they really struggle against pace at the moment. Think Koeman will fancy this one for a win. After all, its a "free hit" - we wouldn't expect much there normally so anything we get can be counted as a bonus.

Stek

Soares

Fonte

Virgil

Betrand

Vic

Romeu

Tadic RW

Jay Rod LW

Mane Number 10

Long (swap with Pelle in 2nd half after we have got an early goal and need to hold the ball up :-))

We did well there 1st half last season with pace and a front three without Pelle. Ivanovic seems to be having a mare at the moment, so get somebody to run at him early. Would play Romeu as its his former club and has something to prove. May well be too attacking, but both Tadic and Jay Rod will track back, and Mane will scare the living daylights out of them.

There is so many ways RK could line up here, its actually quite refreshing to not know what he is going to do.

If we have Betrand and Tadic down the left against an out-of-form Ivanovic, there's always a chance.

Yep. Get Mane over that side of the pitch as well at times and we'll cause problems.

--------------Stek

Cedric - Fonte - VvD - Bertrand

-----Wanyama - Romeu

JWP-----------------------Tadic

----------------Mane

----------Pelle

Or Davis for JWP, sitting in front of the midfield 2 with Tadic left and Mane right. Got to get at them either way

Oxlade - Arsenal

Walcott - Arsenal

Chambers - Arsenal

Clyne - Liverpool

Lallana - Liverpool

Ings - Liverpool

Morgan - United

Shaw - United

Very good summary.

On recent form - and if we can perform as well away as at home - we could play Chelski off the park in the first half. Crucially, it will be whether we can sustain this into the second half. That will decide the outcome. I will be overjoyed if we hold on for a draw. 2-2 for me.

This is The Guardian's take on the match:

'Don’t tell José Mourinho, but exasperating loyalty to under-performing players is a distinctly Arsène Wenger-esque trait. Actually, do tell Mourinho, as that may be the best way to convince him to drop Branislav Ivanovic this weekend. The Serb is one of the Premier League’s finest defenders of recent times and has given years of excellent service to Chelsea but he has been utterly hapless so far this season, much more so than the benched John Terry. It has been almost painful to watch a once-great defender be targeted by every opponent. Continually picking him does not appear to be doing him any favours and certainly isn’t helping the team. If Ivanovic plays this weekend, expect Sadio Mané and Dusan Tadic to take turns tormenting him, with the fit-again Ryan Bertrand raiding forward to join in the fun on a regular basis. The solution is not merely staring Mourinho in the face, it is grabbing him by the lapels and bawling “Cesar Azpilicueta on the right, Baba Rahman on the left” at the top of its voice. Mourinho’s refusal to pay heed is mystifying. PD'

On recent form - and if we can perform as well away as at home - we could play Chelski off the park in the first half. Crucially, it will be whether we can sustain this into the second half. That will decide the outcome. I will be overjoyed if we hold on for a draw. 2-2 for me.

As long as Ronald has learned the lesson from last week not to take Davis off so that the tempo of our game is destroyed then we could be OK.

Can see them starting Rahman, Azpilicueta and Terry tbh.

playing rahman for first time in PL? He might come on but not sure if he'll start

can you imagine a back line of ivanovich - cahill - terry - azpilicueta? think tadic/mane would run rings around them

Cant see Terry starting after the torrid time Mane gave him last season.

Agree, though the Daily Mail, for what it's worth, is saying Terry will play. I think they will stick with Zouma. If they don't, then get pace in and around Terry and Cahill as they won't cope. I'm guessing they'll drop Ivanovic. It's an interesting one tactically given what happened in the corresponding fixture last season. Difficult decisions for both managers and it may be that tactical changes will need to be made early during the game.

"OFF BRAND

Of all the surprises in the bewildering opening skirmishes of this topsy-turvy first-bit-of-the-season – and there have certainly been a few – this one tops the lot. Apparently Chelsea’s first-team squad is unhappy with their manager, who they believe is, to quote our news story, “scapegoating certain players” as a result of the Blues’ poor start to the season. It was, The Fiver supposes, only a matter of time. After five and a half years over two spells as manager, in which he has expertly fallen out with “criminal” rival players, “voyeur” rival managers, “boring” rival fans, “frustrating” Chelsea fans, “ridiculous” referees, match assessors who “don’t see the games” because “they stay eating and drinking”, “naive” doctors, “stupid” journalists, “parasite” TV pundits and “disgraceful” television stations, warned ball boys that “somebody might punch them”, told Rafa Benítez’s wife that she should “take care of her husband’s diet” and even had the occasional dig at the FA, Chelsea’s players have finally worked out that Mourinho likes to blame other people for stuff.

In terms of discoveries it’s not exactly the Higgs boson. These are people who can spot a pass in a heartbeat through a thicket of bodies, or predict and snuff out a possible source of danger before it’s even worked it out itself, yet it’s taken them 307 games to twig that their gaffer’s fond of a scapegoat. As even his own team now knows, when it comes to frankly revealing the true and genuine state of affairs Mourinho is programmed with honesty-evasion software so astonishingly efficient he seems scarcely human, as if rather than emerging blinking and screaming from his mother’s womb he rolled suavely off the production line at Volkswagen.

There was, it’s true, one time, earlier this year, when he admitted to an interviewer that he is not, in fact, perfect. “I have a problem,” he trilled in April. “My problem is I’m getting better at everything.” Yeah, well maybe it’s time you took a look at the league table … and his squad. The players currently cold-shouldered include Eden Hazard and Nemanja Matic (a bit), John Terry (quite a lot) and the seemingly toxic trifecta of Oscar, Loïc Rémy and Radamel Falcao (loads). And that’s just the list of those considered insufficiently reliable to start Tuesday’s Big Cup tie at Porto, their numbers presumably since swollen with those who were named in the team only to play like planks once they got there.

Before the game in Portugal Mourinho warned about players burdened with “that unstable attitude in terms of motivation, desire and commitment”. And while that doesn’t exactly sound great, the problem with denying footballers actual football is that they might spend some of their resulting free time thinking about other stuff, which is Mourinho’s latest problem. Well, that and constantly getting better at everything, obviously."

If Saints beat Chelsea - will it be The Chosen One's final game as Chelsea manager?

Edited by under the west stand
quotation marks need to attribute article

Won't happen but this is the game to drop Pelle. He's just not very good away from home for a start, but at Chelsea they will far prefer dealing with him. Rodriguez, Tadic and Mane up front will have far more movement and trouble a fairly slow defence. Bring Pelle on if we need to go more direct. Then bring on JWP for set pieces too.

Stek

Cedric Fonte VVD Bertrand

Wanyama Romeu

Mane Davis Tadic

Rodriguez

Agree with this . Would leave Prowse on the bench though and let VVD take the set pieces

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk