Liverpool 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Liverpool  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Liverpool

Some people are saying Lallana was poor against us today, I don't agree as he caused some problems with his link-up play but his shooting hasn't improved since he was at SMS! It's what holds him back from making the jump from decent PL player to very good, along with his stamina.

Benteke, even half-fit, is a different proposition though, he's a monster. Glad we got at least a point though, we deserved that. One in the eye for Sky and the obsession with Klopp. They could do OK if Benteke stays fit but he's got a lot of Rodgers' rubbish to chuck in the bin.

I'd be surprised Lallana and Milner were probably pool's best players today. Having said that I think he clearly wanted to get one over on his old club today so put in a higher level performance than he normal does for Liverpool.

Got to be happy with a point up there....another game where we get **** all from the ref.....what is it with the media love-in with those scouse ****s??

Didn't think there was much wrong with the reffing today, he started a bit Scouse but we'd already had a couple of free-kicks by the time the away fans started "we got a free-kick" and the ironic cheering and there were a few where we got away with things - as well as wrong decisions both ways. Second yellow was maybe a bit harsh but hardly matters.

Draw was a fair result, wouldn't like to pick a MoM from anyone involved, no-one was outstanding.

On that performance I think Clasie could make a big difference to this team. Although still a little of the pace he closed down and filled gaps really well and he looks to have a bit more forward passing than big vic or Romeo. He looks to me to be the right player to replace Morgan, maybe not the same level,yet, but more forward passing and will be more like Davis than vic in transition. Hoping to see him upto speed in a few games. VvD looks great, very commanding and Bertrand great defensively, covered the middle well a few times, but not his best going forward.

Hard work for Pelle today he is right up the street of skertle and sakho (sp) but thought he fought hard and his work rate going back was as good as ever. Tadic not his best but still able to provide something with a bit of magic. If gaston plays well so he can get a decent deal next year then that can only benefit us, put him in the shop window, this is most he has contributed for a long time.

Overall we do look decent just need to get everyone up to speed and we could have a really good season again.

BBC write up of match I see we get a small mention in among the Kloppgasm. But did Liverpool really have over 60% possession it didn't seem like it to me?

bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34564965

They were about 65-35% in the first half hour and we set up to absorb and play on the counter, so doesn't surprise me at all.

I'd be surprised Lallana and Milner were probably pool's best players today. Having said that I think he clearly wanted to get one over on his old club today so put in a higher level performance than he normal does for Liverpool.

I thought he was a load of toss.

I thought we were well worth the draw, very much deserved, without creating a massive amount.

Soares, Van Dijk and Wanyama all very good for me.

I thought the game still passed Clasie by, guess he'll only improve by playing regularly and getting up to speed.

Pelle got clattered a few times early on, didn't get anything out of the ref and his head dropped a fair bit after that.

Tadic was poor in my eyes and wasteful often.

Liverpool a very average side, the media love in with them and Klopp is ridiculous.

Three points against Bournemouth and we'll be settling in well to upper mid table.

Thought Pelle was terrible (certainly not one of the best target men in world football looking at that)

mane was wasteful at times too

defence were very good, clasie grew into the game

I thought Pelle did pretty well with some crappy service today and without the support he usually has. Looked a little bit jaded but not as much as Liverpool's entire team.

Fair enough like I said I only had Solent to go on but most of Liverpool's chance seemed to come from good work by Lallana ....though maybe that is the Adam Blackmore man love for Lallana coming through the commentary.

Coutinho was about 50% more effective than he was.

Any point away is good, but there were also some real positives . Clasie looked like he will be ok , I thought he did well for his first start . VvD plays with a cigar lit , he's going to be some player IMO. 2 full backs were good , I'm glad cedric seems to be coming on ok .

Sky's post match coverage was shockingly biased , joke .

I'm a big Pelle fan - but today I saw consistently what a lot of people moan at. The ref from the start wasn't going to give him any fouls, and instead of that driving him to adapt play or look to gain clever fouls knowing the ref he just gave up and became a sulking petulant child. What made it worse after all the whining to teammates was when he had a great chance and air shot then fell on his arse. Great player but needs to mentally change attitude - seeing that it was obvious why he went 4 months without scoring. More effort less attitude pls Mr Pelle.

Two points to make:

1. Milner should have been booked much earlier. One of the best wrestlers in the Prem.

2. Our first free kick was on 29 minutes.Why?

12 man Liverpool didn't win!

Our first free kick was in the 18th minute for offside, the second in the 20th for a foul on Mane.

Any point away is good, but there were also some real positives . Clasie looked like he will be ok , I thought he did well for his first start . VvD plays with a cigar lit , he's going to be some player IMO. 2 full backs were good , I'm glad cedric seems to be coming on ok .

Sky's post match coverage was shockingly biased , joke .

I thought Clasie did pretty well as well, got a lot of touches in traffic, showed strength to hold people off, got around closing down and played a couple of decent passes forward too. Much better than last week.

Two points to make:

1. Milner should have been booked much earlier. One of the best wrestlers in the Prem.

2. Our first free kick was on 29 minutes.Why?

12 man Liverpool didn't win!

They said on the Radio that Liverpool haven't ever lost when today's referee has been in charge of one of their games ....all 10 of them

We seem to forget to play football in the 2nd half just like against Leicester.

Kick, puff and rush.

Didn't think there was much difference either half, set up to play on the counter and only had one decent spell of passing with any kind of penetration in the whole game. Which was fine, it wasn't what we were trying to do.

Liverpool have more to worry about than we do after that, they don't look like scoring more than one a game ever.

Can we put the Clasie not up to the premier league to bed now ? I know it was only Liverpool but he showed some of the closing down and hassling of opposition his YouTube videos show haha ! Pelle could have won it but I'll take a point with a nice run of games coming up next

1. Lallana was terrible

2. Clynne didn't look as assured as he was with us

3. The Liverpool pundits looking glum

4. Matching a squad that must have cost 100s millions

5. Getting a point from a goal down at Anfield

6. Lallana having the indignity of being subbed after only 60 mins

7. Watching Gastons smile and real joy

8. Manes interview, what a wonderful and decent person he is.

9. Ward prowes contribution

all ll in all a decent result add Sherwood the smarm being sacked and it's been not a bad day

I watched Clasie whilst he was on the pitch. It took him 10 mins to find the pace, but after that I thought he did a good job. Second half his pressing lessened and you could see he needed to come off. On that performance he looked the player I thought we were signing.

Well done to Clasie today. He finally arrived.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/liverpool-1-1-southampton-player-6704238

van Dijk 5 - Should have scored from a free header and had another cleared off the line.

:mcinnes:

LOLOLOL. Call me biased but he was our best player today and maybe even the best player on the pitch (but I wouldn't want to go so far as to be accused of having my Saint's tinted glasses on).

Must be a bit of an inconvenience that we actually turned up. That way they could then give Liverpool all 10s.

Not that I really care either way how anyone else sees us, but damn, the Liverpool jizzfest was truly pathetic. Whether it be the pundits on Sky, the commentators, the press. Their job really is to present a balanced show/report.

I thought we were poor tonight which is all the more reason to be pleased with the result.

Milner shown too much respect for their goal.

Benteke MOTM? Do me a favour. VVD was excellent for us in the middle. Shame it wasn't him marking Benteke for the goal.

Cedric, Wanyama, Clasie all put in decent shifts and a good cameo from Ramirez.

Lallana was ****ing awful. £25,000,000.

I think most would disagree with that. I certainly do.

A decent point. Genuinely thought we were destined to lose that. Pleased for Ramirez though not expecting any fireworks. Mané's red card was deserved but really couldn't have come at a better time, we were winding down the clock anyway and he only misses the League Cup game he probably wouldn't have played much of a role in anyway.

I thought the defence was good, the midfield was good but we lacked any kind of cutting edge in attack today. I prefer Tadic on the left.

Oh, and anyone see Bertrand berate Mané for not closing down the Liverpool player that assisted their goal? Shows awareness.

Liverpool fans don't seem happy with the result, which is good. FWIW I think the ref was against us most of the game, two of their corners weren't, and a point was a fair result.

Bournemouth have conceded 5 goals in their last two games apparently, so hopefully we can find our cutting edge again there next week.

Lastly, I'm quite jealous of West Ham and Leicester's lofty position as we were accomplishing last season, but I'm quite liking this slow burning rise up the league!

I'm a big Pelle fan - but today I saw consistently what a lot of people moan at. The ref from the start wasn't going to give him any fouls, and instead of that driving him to adapt play or look to gain clever fouls knowing the ref he just gave up and became a sulking petulant child. What made it worse after all the whining to teammates was when he had a great chance and air shot then fell on his arse. Great player but needs to mentally change attitude - seeing that it was obvious why he went 4 months without scoring. More effort less attitude pls Mr Pelle.

He does like a good whine but it shows passion, I like to see a striker being selfish and giving players grief for not giving him the service he wants.

I thought we were well worth the draw, very much deserved, without creating a massive amount.

Soares, Van Dijk and Wanyama all very good for me.

I thought the game still passed Clasie by, guess he'll only improve by playing regularly and getting up to speed.

Pelle got clattered a few times early on, didn't get anything out of the ref and his head dropped a fair bit after that.

Tadic was poor in my eyes and wasteful often.

Liverpool a very average side, the media love in with them and Klopp is ridiculous.

Three points against Bournemouth and we'll be settling in well to upper mid table.

agree with all of that. Cedric best game ?....Clasie wasn't in it so much, but looked useful in what he did do.

thought it was tough on Mane---for both cards. I was amazed that Lucas got away with just a talking to by the ref. He was pretty brutal on a couple of occasions.

Want to see the win against Bournemouth as it'll be one of my rare visits to So'ton and SMS.

Although VvD was excellent, I was surprised to come on here and see that he was popular choice MoM. I thought Bertrand was the best player on the pitch today. I also thought Pelle was okay, but their defending was brilliant today.

The midfield was our weak link.

Midfield only weak in an attacking sense. Clasie and Wanyama especially superb at winning the ball, especially 1st half.

If only we had a player a level above Davis or JWP, a Barkley type, then we would have a really balanced team.