Liverpool 1-1 Saints - Reaction

Lighthouse

Man of the Match v Liverpool  

342 members have voted

1. 1. Man of the Match v Liverpool

Although VvD was excellent, I was surprised to come on here and see that he was popular choice MoM. I thought Bertrand was the best player on the pitch today. I also thought Pelle was okay, but their defending was brilliant today.

The midfield was our weak link.

It was only brilliant because we put a lot of high balls towards Pelle. That played right into Sakho and Skrtel's game plan.

1. Lallana was terrible

2. Clynne didn't look as assured as he was with us

3. The Liverpool pundits looking glum

4. Matching a squad that must have cost 100s millions

5. Getting a point from a goal down at Anfield

6. Lallana having the indignity of being subbed after only 60 mins

7. Watching Gastons smile and real joy

8. Manes interview, what a wonderful and decent person he is.

9. Ward prowes contribution

all ll in all a decent result add Sherwood the smarm being sacked and it's been not a bad day

10. When Mane scored the camera showed Klopp and to his right Lallana with his mouth falling open - priceless.

I like David from Sweden will also be over for the Bournemouth game first match for me this season can't wait COYR

A decent point. Genuinely thought we were destined to lose that. Pleased for Ramirez though not expecting any fireworks. Mané's red card was deserved but really couldn't have come at a better time, we were winding down the clock anyway and he only misses the League Cup game he probably wouldn't have played much of a role in anyway.

I thought the defence was good, the midfield was good but we lacked any kind of cutting edge in attack today. I prefer Tadic on the left.

Oh, and anyone see Bertrand berate Mané for not closing down the Liverpool player that assisted their goal? Shows awareness.

Liverpool fans don't seem happy with the result, which is good. FWIW I think the ref was against us most of the game, two of their corners weren't, and a point was a fair result.

Bournemouth have conceded 5 goals in their last two games apparently, so hopefully we can find our cutting edge again there next week.

Lastly, I'm quite jealous of West Ham and Leicester's lofty position as we were accomplishing last season, but I'm quite liking this slow burning rise up the league!

I actually think Bertrand should've been closing Milner down. He was effectively asking Mane to close down two players (one of whom he'd just put a (semi) tackle on). Sure you'd have lost your shape slightly, but Mane was never going to be able to apply pressure given his starting position. In closing, I think Bertrand palmed Milner off onto Mane unfairly/unrealistically.

An entertaining match, as I am recovering from a few days in hospital with heart problems, I made sure I didn't get too worked up.

I thought Mane and Pelle both had quiet days, VVD was excellent as was Bertrand. Unfortunately Ward-Prowse was muscled out when he came on.

I saw Ramirez at MK, and today, and he was excellent in both games. He also is tall, which caused problems today. I hope he starts in place of Mane on his suspicion. his sending off was stupid, but I wonder whether he had lost it after being continually fouled, he certainly didn't get any protection at all from that ref, neither did any other Saint, but the slightest touch on a Liverpool player seemed to be called.

Benteke's header was worthy of the great Ron Davies.

All in all a fair result and a very good point for Saints.

Wanyama did an outstanding job in keeping Liverpool from easily getting at our defense; and Clasie played well alongside him, looked very promising. Mane was a pest to them al game, and got his reward with the goal, Sending off doesn't matter. Defense solid except for that one moment when Benteke scored. On the whole, well done, a good point.

fairly even match/squads. and yes, I am bored, so.. check this out.

Saints starting line up today ( transfer fees in parenthesis)

Stek (loan)

Cedric (£4.7)

Fonte (£0.8)

VvD (£11.5)

Bertrand (£0.0)

Wanyama (£12.5)

Clasie (£8.0)

Mane (£10.9)

Davis (£0.0)

Tadic (£10.9)

Pelle (£8.0)

TOTAL (£68.2)

Liverpool

Benteke (£32.5)

Firmino (£29.0)

TOTAL (£61.5)

add Lallana (£25)

TOTAL (£86.5)

another interesting comparison

Our Front Starting 4

Davis / Pelle / Tadic / Mane = £29.8 |||| Firmino = £29.0

Our Back Starting 4

Cedric/Fonte/VvD/Bertrand = £17.0 |||| Lovren = £20.0

I thought we did well to get a point would have been disappointed if we lost. neither team deserved the win.

bit passed off with the Klopp cam. I can't get passed the fact that it looked like Steven Marchant was on the side lines.

silly from Mane though but the suspension don't hurt us.

onward and upwards

Midfield only weak in an attacking sense. Clasie and Wanyama especially superb at winning the ball, especially 1st half.

If only we had a player a level above Davis or JWP, a Barkley type, then we would have a really balanced team.

Yes, that's pretty fair. Annoyingly, that player you're talking about was very clearly Ramirez, who filled the gap brilliantly, if for only about 15 minutes.

I don't agree with people saying it was just our long balls in that made their defence look good. You have to give some credit, at times their was some great passing around the edge of the box and also some nice runs in, but they made it almost impossible to get a decent shot off.

They were strong in defence, in fact it was probably the best part of their game and ours.

I'd be surprised Lallana and Milner were probably pool's best players today. Having said that I think he clearly wanted to get one over on his old club today so put in a higher level performance than he normal does for Liverpool.

He looked absolutely gutted sat on the bench when we equalised.

Stek (loan)

Cedric (£4.7)

Fonte (£0.8)

VvD (£11.5)

Bertrand (£0.0)

Wanyama (£12.5)

Clasie (£8.0)

Mane (£10.9)

Davis (£0.0)

Tadic (£10.9)

Pelle (£8.0)

TOTAL (£68.2)

Liverpool

Benteke (£32.5)

Firmino (£29.0)

TOTAL (£61.5)

add Lallana (£25)

TOTAL (£86.5)

Our Front Starting 4

Our Back Starting 4

Pretty sure Fonte wasn't free, Bertrand certainly wasn't. But i take your point.

Generally, I thought we were good and worth a point. Pleased with Clasie. Think he'll be good for us. I noticed how calm Stecklenberg is. That's invaluable to any defence. Contrast with last week. Couple of random observations. A lot of southern accents in Liverpool shirts on the journey to ground and back from the City Centre. Also, the ground was virtually full 10 minutes before ko, unlike SMS.

I thought we did well to get a point would have been disappointed if we lost. neither team deserved the win.

bit passed off with the Klopp cam. I can't get passed the fact that it looked like Steven Marchant was on the side lines.

silly from Mane though but the suspension don't hurt us.

onward and upwards

Actually, it could be a genius sending off.

a) He possibly would have been rested against Villa anyway, and

b) Instead of having one yellow added to his season's tally, he gets none.

I'm not sure if I'm right about b) (please correct me if I'm wrong). But if I am wrong and the 2 yellows do add to his season's tally, that would be unfair, given that they also count as a red and a one match ban.

Edit: Maybe the first is added to the season tally but not the second?

Stek (loan)

Cedric (£4.7)

Fonte (£0.8)

VvD (£11.5)

Bertrand (£0.0)

Wanyama (£12.5)

Clasie (£8.0)

Mane (£10.9)

Davis (£0.0)

Tadic (£10.9)

Pelle (£8.0)

TOTAL (£68.2)

Liverpool

Benteke (£32.5)

Firmino (£29.0)

TOTAL (£61.5)

add Lallana (£25)

TOTAL (£86.5)

Our Front Starting 4

Our Back Starting 4

Bertrand was about ten million quid and Fonte was closer to two million than £800k. And you should include the compensation we paid for Davis which I think was £800k ish.

Nice to see/hear Mane put his hands up and say he made stupid tackles that got him sent off

makes a change from blaming the ref and/or refusing to talk to the media

edit - looks like spurs are in for everyone in january

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-plotting-surprise-january-swoop-6699341

Edited by Batman

I'm a big Pelle fan - but today I saw consistently what a lot of people moan at. The ref from the start wasn't going to give him any fouls, and instead of that driving him to adapt play or look to gain clever fouls knowing the ref he just gave up and became a sulking petulant child. What made it worse after all the whining to teammates was when he had a great chance and air shot then fell on his arse. Great player but needs to mentally change attitude - seeing that it was obvious why he went 4 months without scoring. More effort less attitude pls Mr Pelle.

he was terrible yesterday. Little movement and rarely wins a header...much of the time, does not even challenge.

however, no one to change it up with. But there were plenty of times last season when we had long around and we never changed it at all when he was playing like that.

If pelle is getting marked well by the pretty average skrtl, he needs to be able to move them around, make it harder for them.

they had him in their pockets yesterday

He should fair miles better next weekend against bournemouth. They look shyte in defence

he was terrible yesterday. Little movement and rarely wins a header...much of the time, does not even challenge.

however, no one to change it up with. But there were plenty of times last season when we had long around and we never changed it at all when he was playing like that.

If pelle is getting marked well by the pretty average skrtl, he needs to be able to move them around, make it harder for them.

He should fair miles better next weekend against bournemouth. They look shyte in defence

Skrtel isn't pretty average though, he's one of the PL's better centre backs.

I agree Pelle wasn't great yesterday, let his head drop early. Service and support around him didn't help much, if we're going to knock it long to him, we need people in around him quickly.

Thought Mane was a bit lazy in letting Milner get the cross in for their goal. Glad he was on the end of the Ramirez header to square the ledger. Always nice to take 2 points off those muppets. Better than winning one ourselves.

Watched the highlights and that was shocking from Mane. Milner had time to make a cup of tea and light up a cigar before he made the cross for the goal as Mane stood a watched before making a half hearted amble towards him. Good as Benteke's header was there is no way Milner should have had the time and space to place a perfect cross into the box like that.

Skrtel isn't pretty average though, he's one of the PL's better centre backs.

I agree Pelle wasn't great yesterday, let his head drop early. Service and support around him didn't help much, if we're going to knock it long to him, we need people in around him quickly.

yeah, fair one

Pelle has had enough very good games to have a pass on a stinker.

He should relish next weekend, mind

Watched the highlights and that was shocking from Mane. Milner had time to make a cup of tea and light up a cigar before he made the cross for the goal as Mane stood a watched before making a half hearted amble towards him. Good as Benteke's header was there is no way Milner should have had the time and space to place a perfect cross into the box like that.
Mane had just gone to close their other player, could just as much have been Bertrand's fault.

I watched on least 3 occasions his shirt get pulled aggressively & he got nothing.

I honestly believe refs go into games with pre-determined views of players. Mane is a diver, Pelle is so big he doesn't deserve a free kick..............................

Out of interest, can someone please confirm that shirt pulling at corners is now acceptable???

Enjoy the way the team reacts to going behind or needing to dig in and grind things out, but thought overall yesterday that we were far too open in midfield and left far too many spaces for players to drop into and receive the ball. Considering we were set-up to counter, I would have expected a far more compact team when we didn't have the ball.

So happy we nabbed a point though.

yeah, fair one

Pelle has had enough very good games to have a pass on a stinker.

He should relish next weekend, mind

i think we should contact Sky sports or MotD as their ex proffessional footballers have got it all wrong about Pelle. I think they should get rid of those and put you in their place as you seem to be a much more shrewd pundit and dont miss all the things that Pelle brings to the team

i think we should contact Sky sports or MotD as their ex proffessional footballers have got it all wrong about Pelle. I think they should get rid of those and put you in their place as you seem to be a much more shrewd pundit and dont miss all the things that Pelle brings to the team

It's an opinion.

Many pundits would have you believe that Rooney should still be the first name on the team sheet for club and country. But he is miles off that in reality. These pundits would have you believe that benteke was the best player from the whole game!!

I thought pelle had a stinker yesterday. It happens. He is better than that.

It's an opinion.

Many pundits would have you believe that Rooney should still be the first name on the team sheet for club and country. But he is miles off that in reality. These pundits would have you believe that benteke was the best player from the whole game!!

I thought pelle had a stinker yesterday. It happens. He is better than that.

It is much easier to be involved in the game from midfield or defence. Up front you are reliant on the service you get. When Pelle gets decent service he looks a quality player. Rooney might not be playing to his best but he is still a regular starter for Manchester United and England so those many pundits seem to have the same view as the managers of Manchester United and England.

It was a pretty awful game on the whole, and neither team deserved a victory. Got a bit better at the end, but have to say on the whole am happy with a point away to Liverpool - and actually quite happy with how this season is going. I think we are in a good position to continue being the 'best of the rest'.

Really quite a good result to get a point at Anfield away, especially coming back from a goal down quite late in the match. Although we only had three shots on target, they only had two, which must be galling to their fans, their new manager and their media lackeys.

Quite how that imbecile commentator chose Benteke as man of the match when he had only played half the match is quite beyond me. As for Sky they did not see anything wrong with having two Liverpool ex-players, one an ex-manager of Liverpool, and probably thought that it was justifiable because Souness managed us for five minutes. As usual, all the excuses were made about how Klopp had his work cut-out to transform Rodgers' team of misfits and how tired they all must have been, playing so many matches in such a short space of time. Little credit to us for nullifying them, defending well and closing them down.

But there was karma to be had when it was acknowledged that we are unbeaten on the road, that MOTD's pundits summed it up as a difficult match for Liverpool because we were a very good team. We at least recognise that despite them having bought what they considered to be our best players during the past two seasons, following their replacement, we still have a team arguably as good as theirs, with a better defence and a strong enough case that can be debated that our midfield and attack is also as good as theirs.

Early days yet, but although it had appeared Alderweireld would be difficult to replace, V-VD looks to be at least as good. Promising signs that Cedric may be as good as Clyne a little later down the line and that Clasie and Romeu together provide alternatives to Schneiderlin, if on the face of it neither might turn out to be as good as him individually.

Good to see Gaston making a decent cameo and assisting the Mane goal. Also nice to hear Souness' assessment recognising Mane as a nice guy who will become a great player.

Even though he made two silly fouls to get a red card, I was thinking earlier in the game (even before he scored) that Mané's work rate and willingness to put his foot in is another string to his bow - he actually wins the ball back for us quite a lot.

Didn't think Tadic had a great game, but when he went off we lost our shape. Given JWP had just come on, was disappointed at times he lacked a bit of energy to press.

Thought our back four were excellent, all in the running for my MOTM. Full backs would miss out on account of their final ball when they got forward. Fonte misses out because he let Benteke get across him, but it was nevertheless a great header from Benteke. That leaves VVD, he was outstanding again. Certainly encouraging that we looked a pretty good team out there today.

Broadly agree but I think that he carries some responsibility for the Liverpool goal. He stood too far off Milner and let him put the cross in. At the very least he should have tried to put a foot in to distract him.

Fonte was at fault for their goal. Davis was anonymous throughout - not really good enough at this level. We deserved at least a draw. mariner is a pretty dreadful referee and let all their blatant pushed go unpunished.

I know that football is a matter of opinions but that is just garbage

Nice to see/hear Mane put his hands up and say he made stupid tackles that got him sent off

makes a change from blaming the ref and/or refusing to talk to the media

edit - looks like spurs are in for everyone in january

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/tottenham-plotting-surprise-january-swoop-6699341

The accuracy of that Mirror article is summed up in the notion that Vardy has scored 10 goals in 12 Premier League games so far this season.

A decent point. Genuinely thought we were destined to lose that. Pleased for Ramirez though not expecting any fireworks. Mané's red card was deserved but really couldn't have come at a better time, we were winding down the clock anyway and he only misses the League Cup game he probably wouldn't have played much of a role in anyway.

I thought the defence was good, the midfield was good but we lacked any kind of cutting edge in attack today. I prefer Tadic on the left.

Oh, and anyone see Bertrand berate Mané for not closing down the Liverpool player that assisted their goal? Shows awareness.

There was some debate about whether Bertrand should have been doing that himself. Without watching again to see if there was an overlapping runner which would have excused Bertrand completely, I wouldn't like to say.

The accuracy of that Mirror article is summed up in the notion that Vardy has scored 10 goals in 12 Premier League games so far this season.

It could turn out to be accurate if he fails to score against West Brom and Watford. Maybe they are just into predictions these days rather than reporting facts :)

I watched on least 3 occasions his shirt get pulled aggressively & he got nothing.

I honestly believe refs go into games with pre-determined views of players. Mane is a diver, Pelle is so big he doesn't deserve a free kick..............................

Out of interest, can someone please confirm that shirt pulling at corners is now acceptable???

I hope so, or Liverpool should have had a penalty for Fonte on Benteke in injury time...

Really quite a good result to get a point at Anfield away, especially coming back from a goal down quite late in the match. Although we only had three shots on target, they only had two, which must be galling to their fans, their new manager and their media lackeys.

Quite how that imbecile commentator chose Benteke as man of the match when he had only played half the match is quite beyond me. As for Sky they did not see anything wrong with having two Liverpool ex-players, one an ex-manager of Liverpool, and probably thought that it was justifiable because Souness managed us for five minutes. As usual, all the excuses were made about how Klopp had his work cut-out to transform Rodgers' team of misfits and how tired they all must have been, playing so many matches in such a short space of time. Little credit to us for nullifying them, defending well and closing them down.

But there was karma to be had when it was acknowledged that we are unbeaten on the road, that MOTD's pundits summed it up as a difficult match for Liverpool because we were a very good team. We at least recognise that despite them having bought what they considered to be our best players during the past two seasons, following their replacement, we still have a team arguably as good as theirs, with a better defence and a strong enough case that can be debated that our midfield and attack is also as good as theirs.

Carragher's "no disrespect to Southampton but Liverpool should be beating them" before kick-off had me just a tad annoyed, given that they only came above us last season due to Kevin Friend's refusal to give us obvious penalties.

Liverpool actually look worse under Klopp than they did under Rodgers at the moment, they look knackered.

Carragher's "no disrespect to Southampton but Liverpool should be beating them" before kick-off had me just a tad annoyed, given that they only came above us last season due to Kevin Friend's refusal to give us obvious penalties.

Liverpool actually look worse under Klopp than they did under Rodgers at the moment, they look knackered.

Yeah, all Kevin Friend's fault, not that we went from Febuary to the end of the season without winning an away game, with most of them very winnable.

Yeah, all Kevin Friend's fault, not that we went from Febuary to the end of the season without winning an away game, with most of them very winnable.

But the point is that despite that had we beaten Liverpool at home with a half-decent performance from the Ref all that was required we would have still finished above Liverpool despite our turgid away form from February onwards.

But the point is that despite that had we beaten Liverpool at home with a half-decent performance from the Ref all that was required we would have still finished above Liverpool despite our turgid away form from February onwards.

Didn't help we were rubbish that game too.