Shane Long

Saint Charlie

Not sure why people remain fixated on his £12m fee. £12m for a domestic transfer in the current market is not a huge amount of money.

People remain fixated and continue to judge a players contribution because they assess the size of the investment that the club has made against what return is made on the pitch. There were a number of things that determined the £12m fee and just a part of it is Longs ability as a footballer - but regardless I still think that £12m is a lot for Saints to invest in a player and I expect him to be one of our better players for that amount. As always it's 50/50 whether these things work out.

As for Long I think £12m is very steep for someone who is rarely first choice, and certainly not in his chosen position. I like his attributes and am glad he is a part of our squad but on the face of it £12m is a lot of money to invest in him - and on the face of it not really justified by any metric thus far.

None of this is his fault as he has been exactly as we thought he would since he joined. For me, he now has a chance to get a run in the team in his favoured position with us playing a way he will enjoy - it's a real opportunity for him not step up but score more goals and prove to the club and fans he is worth the money we paid.

Saint86 here, after proving thastnlong was more effective than tadic for creating goals (and including tadic's penalties and assistsnin that tally) I see people have reverted to quoting his price? Perhaps people should look at tadic's cost... Or say McCormack's, or say Jordan Rhodes, or marcus bent?!?!! I mean seriously guys, long is a really strong asset for us, and he also gives his all every time unlike the Italian rasiak...

And if you're still not convinced to stop slating him.... Liverpool payed 11million for heskey in 2000 or 2001... That is like 25m in today's prices.

Just except you are wrong about long, no one will hold it against you. And we can save this thread as a golden one and be happy ;)

Not sure why people remain fixated on his £12m fee. £12m for a domestic transfer in the current market is not a huge amount of money. A decent season for a Championship striker and clubs ask for £10m+, so £12m for Long really doesn't stand out.

A point that I've made on previous occasions.

Shane Long didn't decide on his own transfer fee. After signing Pellé (who to be fair was an unknown quantity) we needed back-up for him after Lambert's departure. That was a sensible and necessary measure to ensure we had cover. That Pelle had such success, kept Long out of the start side, but he still made good sub.apps.

The fact we paid over the odds, was a boardroom decision in making Hull an offer they couldn't refuse, as they were in desperate financial problems at the time.

There is no way anyone should attach guilt to Long for the size of the fee. His personal terms/salary were agreed between him and SFC. The fee between the two clubs.

£12 million may seem high to some people, but we had already mis-spent more on the catastrophic signings of Gaston and Osvaldo...(who incidentally were purchased when we had " another Board and another Chairman ). Based on that, one might argue that Shane Long has already provided better value than they did.

My only real criticism of Koeman might be that he persisted with Pellé for too long (last season), when it was patently obvious that Pelle had been " found out " by opposing defences, and that he hit the woodwork more often than he scored, and that Koeman failed to implement a " Plan B " much sooner.

At last, RK was forced to do so (on Saturday) because of Pellé absence, and we can hope that the result was the beginning of a new dawn.... and not a glorious sunset.

Long is just a beast for us. Finnaly getting a chance up top with no pelle to slow us down. This is two we should place. Solid back 8, and then long, mane and tadic. Only way to play this. Rape em on the break and with good movement and passers of the ball sitting deep.

Shane long I'd our best striker tbh.

Long is just a beast for us. Finnaly getting a chance up top with no pelle to slow us down. This is two we should place. Solid back 8, and then long, mane and tadic. Only way to play this. Rape em on the break and with good movement and passers of the ball sitting deep.

Shane long I'd our best striker tbh.

Couldn't disagree more and awful choice of language.

Decent work rate, runs his socks off works hard for the team, Ok so the initial 12 million outlay turned a few heads as a team player who isn't shy of graft I rate him. Ok so he isn't the greatest finisher in the world and never will be. He gets alot of criticism from the fans but when he chips in the odd goal or turns on a decent performance like at Arsenal they change there tune. football fans are so fickle. If you want to sell anyone? sell Wanyama....... head has gone

• 2 weeks later...
Whilst I don't particularly rate him, it's a shame that half our players don't put in the same work rate. Whatever you can slate him for, it can't be for working as hard as possible.

Of course not. He works very hard. But that doesn't win points.

He is a continually poor finisher and it costs us.

should we still sell Shane Long, Saint Charlie?...OK I know he missed a few chances, but......

Obviously not now. Seems like Koeman trusts him more now whichwas part of the issue and due to Pelle's injury he has a run of games up front which he hadn't had before. Will be interesting to see at which point he puts Pelle back in instead of Long.

He still misses far too many presentable chances for me, but obviously has good games also.

A quality finisher would have scored a hattrick versus Arsenal and finished excellent chances against Palace and Norwich away.

Long term do I think he will be a key player for us? No. He is too erratic.

But would be silly to sell now unless someone offered us at least £10m back, which won't happen.

Obviously not now. Seems like Koeman trusts him more now whichwas part of the issue and due to Pelle's injury he has a run of games up front which he hadn't had before. Will be interesting to see at which point he puts Pelle back in instead of Long.

He still misses far too many presentable chances for me, but obviously has good games also.

A quality finisher would have scored a hattrick versus Arsenal and finished excellent chances against Palace and Norwich away.

But would be silly to sell now unless someone offered us at least £10m back, which won't happen.

I was following your revised attitude .....up to a point Charlie, but to criticise his performance v.Arsenal is... a bit harsh.

He scored two, had one disallowed (subsequent slo-mo replays I watched on Match of the Day suggested it was ....a tussle between players - not a foul)

.....and it was only the base of the post that denied him a third.

......and quite a few of our "presentable chances " this season have been the reactions of a goalkeeper who suddenly produced a " wordlie " to keep the ball out.

NOTE; Pelle ....in his goalless spells during last season...hit the woodwork EIGHT times - do I recall ?

Still comes back to the same stats. missed chances or not....Shane Long ....scores more often / per game minutes ....than any other player on the books.

Sell Pelle in January and continue with Long and Mane. The way we played against Watford is how football should be played. Pelle and Tadic just slow everything down

Nope, why is everything always one way or the other on this forum. Both good players who will do a job for us.

Agree he isn't clinical but then again he's never really been so throughout his career. IMO Long gets a lot of un-warranted stick, if your going to critical about finishing then Mane should be getting pelters. How many did he miss last night? Through on goal, under no pressure and he can't even hit the target? Poor, especially for a player rated in the £30M bracket by some people on here. This place would've been in meltdown if Long had missed the chances Mane did last night.

Agree he isn't clinical but then again he's never really been so throughout his career. IMO Long gets a lot of un-warranted stick, if your going to critical about finishing then Mane should be getting pelters. How many did he miss last night? Through on goal, under no pressure and he can't even hit the target? Poor, especially for a player rated in the £30M bracket by some people on here. This place would've been in meltdown if Long had missed the chances Mane did last night.

Hopefully now Koeman has realised that we don't HAVE to pick Pelle every single game even if he's fit