Shane Long

Saint Charlie

I know that we have been saying for a while that Long was not worth £12m and I am one of those, but recently I have been changing my opinion.

I'm not. His finishing isn't good enough to justify that sort of fee and his very high wage. BUT he has always had something to offer and has been massively underused by Koeman since the day he signed, and many people have been saying it for a while. This is the first time I can remember him getting a run of games as a centre forward

The main reason for me to think he was not worth £12m was the fact that Hull signed him for £7m only 6 months earlier. I understood the reason why we were prepared to pay that much. The question really was who else with PL experience was seen to be capable, available and at that sort of price? Not that many. And then look who Hull signed to replace him.

I know that we have been saying for a while that Long was not worth £12m and I am one of those, but recently I have been changing my opinion.

I'm not. His finishing isn't good enough to justify that sort of fee and his very high wage. BUT he has always had something to offer and has been massively underused by Koeman since the day he signed, and many people have been saying it for a while. This is the first time I can remember him getting a run of games as a centre forward

Its about time some Saints fans realised £12m is not a big fee anymore.

£12m is not a lot of money in the current transfer market for a domestic transfer of a striker. A decent season in the Championship sees a striker valued at £8m to £12m. Shane Long has proven to be a pain for every Premier League defence for a few years. Yes, he isn't a prolific finisher, but if he were he'd have cost £25m+, not £12m.

Top Premier League striker now cost £20m-£25m+. The days of a £12m striker being one of the league's best players have gone, the market has moved on.

There is however better value to be found abroad as the prices aren't as inflated when trying to sign a player from a club that doesn't have the Premier League TV money aiding them financially.

Its about time some Saints fans realised £12m is not a big fee anymore.

£12m is not a lot of money in the current transfer market for a domestic transfer of a striker. A decent season in the Championship sees a striker valued at £8m to £12m. Shane Long has proven to be a pain for every Premier League defence for a few years. Yes, he isn't a prolific finisher, but if he were he'd have cost £25m+, not £12m.

Top Premier League striker now cost £20m-£25m+. The days of a £12m striker being one of the league's best players have gone, the market has moved on.

There is however better value to be found abroad as the prices aren't as inflated when trying to sign a player from a club that doesn't have the Premier League TV money aiding them financially.

Any time a football club (no matter what the level) spends 10% of its turnover on a football player it is a big fee.

You are arguing it is not a big fee relative to the market and you raise some fair points.

Others are saying that regardless of the market £12m is a big fee for Southampton and it is true. If Saints spend £10m+ on a player then the expectation is going to be big for him because that is a big fee for us.

There are two sides to the argument and I always look at the club and not the market. But that is just my preference.

Any time a football club (no matter what the level) spends 10% of its turnover on a football player it is a big fee.

You are arguing it is not a big fee relative to the market and you raise some fair points.

Others are saying that regardless of the market £12m is a big fee for Southampton and it is true. If Saints spend £10m+ on a player then the expectation is going to be big for him because that is a big fee for us.

There are two sides to the argument and I always look at the club and not the market. But that is just my preference.

It's not all spent in one season though.

The main reason for me to think he was not worth £12m was the fact that Hull signed him for £7m only 6 months earlier. I understood the reason why we were prepared to pay that much. The question really was who else with PL experience was seen to be capable, available and at that sort of price? Not that many. And then look who Hull signed to replace him.

He was bought in a situation where we had to pay a premium to get him in that Hull did not have to sell. His fee in the modern world of the premier league is no big deal and I don't understand why people keep whinnicking on about it.

When Pellè is on fire, I think he offers more than Long, but as soon as this team is going through a bad spell, Long adds some fight and energy into the team. We were running out of steam over November and December, but 2 x Long (vs. Arsenal & Watford) has led us to two victories and away from the drop zone. In that perspective, the £12M isn't horrible for a safety net!

I still think Pellé on fire adds something different and perhaps something more than Long. We should hang on to both...

He was bought in a situation where we had to pay a premium to get him in that Hull did not have to sell. His fee in the modern world of the premier league is no big deal and I don't understand why people keep whinnicking on about it.

The only thing that annoys me is that the bloke who sat in the row in front of me last season has moved a dozen or so rows away. He hated Long, while I always sang his praises. Shame I couldn't ask his opinion on Boxing Day (couldn't be bothered) or last night (he wasn't there).

WOW Charlie...if that happens ....you might see us getting our money back, :badger: but who will you buy to replace him ?....all tips to Les Reed pls.

Don't Poch and Klopp know how terrible he is? They need to read the experts on here view before they think about wasting money on him.

Don't Poch and Klopp know how terrible he is? They need to read the experts on here view before they think about wasting money on him.

SSSSCH ! you'll put the mockers on the deal befoe it starts. Don't you know that " strong managers " are very single-minded and always get their man.

Remember how Brendan was so keen to get Lovren :lol:..and Lallana :lol:...and Lambert:rolleyes: If the Liverpool chairman has got his cheque book out -keep quiet.

Pochettino, of course also has a reputation for getting his man ...like Dani Osvaldo :lol::blush: How can we, as mere fans, know better than "The Professionals"?

We all realise that, but thanks.

I know you struggle when it's not 100% Saints positive, but this doesn't cover the fact that Hull signed Long just 6 or 7 months earlier for a vastly lower fee. Saints needed a striker at this time and were making do with Gallagher in some games. He was clearly on our radar, so why not sign him for 6-7m then when no fans would have had a problem with the price and he would have provided decent competition?

A 6-7m striker scoring 4 goals and becoming a 12-13m striker in 6 months doesn't really cry out good value however you dress it up.

Youre obsessed!! Its called market forces....the fact that Hull only signed him a few months previously was exactly why it took 12m to get him (Steve Bruce said as much at the time "too good an offer to turn down" to parphrase).

We ONLY paid 10m for Forster so overall £22m the pair seems excellent value to me.....swings and roundabouts.

My point was we should have been in for him in the January, and we quite literally paid the price for delaying it.

We had a different manager, coaching staff and chairman the January before Long signed, maybe he want a target then, perhaps?

I know you get very upset about the transfer fee and like to whine about it at every opportunity you get but for once Mr Wrong is correct, £12m ain't a lot of money for a premier league striker with his experience whether you like it or not.

A bid of £8m would be required to bring the 28-year-old hitman to Anfield.

LOL. These journos are mad if they think that. Not only do we not want to sell, but if LFC were interested it would show how desperate they are and the price, not least because it is January, would be much higher (or so I would have thought).

Another good game from Long.

Since the 5th Dec when I wrote the OP he has gone up a few levels in his performance, if not always the finishing.

Fair play - he has made Pelle a lot more dispensable than himself and has taken the chance Koeman gave him.

One of my main points was that Koeman hadn't seemed to trust Long and never really seemed to want him, but maybe Long has changed his perception?

Good stuff.

Since the 5th Dec when I wrote the OP he has gone up a few levels in his performance, if not always the finishing.

Fair play - he has made Pelle a lot more dispensable than himself and has taken the chance Koeman gave him.

One of my main points was that Koeman hadn't seemed to trust Long and never really seemed to want him, but maybe Long has changed his perception?

Good stuff.

long is showing what we have been missing in work and commitment he is a nightmare to defend against and long may it continue that and the fact we now have a solid British isles core of players again in long Davis Bertrand Targett JWP and soon Austin is the reason I think we are showing renewed commitment and heart.

Would be madness to sell him!

Imagine him and Austin playing together now that would scare most defenses!

Play Shane Lone correctly ie as one of a pair of quick strikers with licence to roam and he is as good as most - the only negative is that his finishing is not always as clinical as it should be. However, the problems he causes opposition defenders and the pressure he puts on them makes space and chances for others. Unfortunately RK is too often happy to stick him on the wing where he is far less effective. If Spurs or Liverpool do get him he will be a great loss - I hope he stays and that RK continues to plays him in his best role.

Good stuff.

Well done Charlie maybe you should ask the club for a job as a player motivator......

Well done Charlie maybe you should ask the club for a job as a player motivator......

He probably did feel a bit of pressure to prove himself when it was clear Pelle was going to miss a few games and ahead of the transfer window.

Chance to play up front, if he hadn't made an impression he would probably have lost Koeman's faith.

Noticeable improvement to his game based on what he had shown before, so hopefully he keeps it up.

I haven't changed my mind about his finishing, The more time he has the worse he is, but I'm seeing stuff from him in the last month that I haven't seen before (or chose not to) and I am not sure why I didn't appreciate it before. I love a worker, but somehow ignored this in Long despite it being obvious. Loving watching him at the moment.

bloody hell his work rate has become infectious. Before he ran around a lot, but it was in isolation and therefore pretty ineffective, but the rest of the side has followed his lead and as a result we are putting sides under pressure and they are not good enough to play there way out from the back.

I haven't changed my mind about his finishing, The more time he has the worse he is, but I'm seeing stuff from him in the last month that I haven't seen before (or chose not to) and I am not sure why I didn't appreciate it before. I love a worker, but somehow ignored this in Long despite it being obvious. Loving watching him at the moment.

bloody hell his work rate has become infectious. Before he ran around a lot, but it was in isolation and therefore pretty ineffective, but the rest of the side has followed his lead and as a result we are putting sides under pressure and they are not good enough to play there way out from the back.

This. Definitely lifted all aspects of his game, finishing aside.

The running is now useful rather than just a crowd pleaser and the midfield, especially Davis, like having someone to pick out rather than a more static striker.

He probably did feel a bit of pressure to prove himself when it was clear Pelle was going to miss a few games and ahead of the transfer window.

Chance to play up front, if he hadn't made an impression he would probably have lost Koeman's faith.

Noticeable improvement to his game based on what he had shown before, so hopefully he keeps it up.

Come on no false modesty I reckon Shane had a quick look on here saw your thread and set about making himself a better player ...well done you :thumbup:

Personally, if Liverpool came with an offer up to £15-18m, then we'd be nuts to say no. And given their history of overpaying for players, I wouldn't put it past them.

He is in great form for us right now though and he is showing us exactly why he's a thorn in so many sides. But if they offered silly money, it would make good financial sense for us I'd think. Liverpool do need to drop this obsession with our players though, it's becoming a little odd.

Let's be honest. Long is better for us than Pelle.

Offers monumental more movement, probably wins more headers and is more than a handful for their whole defence

Midfielders must love him as he gives them so many options to feet, great leap, target man and put in gaps behind full backs pulls defence about. A steal at 12m [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, if Liverpool came with an offer up to £15-18m, then we'd be nuts to say no. And given their history of overpaying for players, I wouldn't put it past them.

He is in great form for us right now though and he is showing us exactly why he's a thorn in so many sides. But if they offered silly money, it would make good financial sense for us I'd think. Liverpool do need to drop this obsession with our players though, it's becoming a little odd.

Who would you buy to replace him out of interest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk