Shane Long

Saint Charlie

Let's be honest. Long is better for us than Pelle.

Offers monumental more movement, probably wins more headers and is more than a handful for their whole defence

Nonsense IMO.

Long is alright he runs around a lot but Pelle brings players into the game much better, is more of a goal threat and is generally all round a better player.

Long has always had these little burst of good form but generally he's never been much more than mediocre with pace. He works hard and I like him as a squad player but I'd take a fit Pelle over him every day of the week.

Now we have Austin I'd easily sell Long.

Nonsense IMO.

Long is alright he runs around a lot but Pelle brings players into the game much better, is more of a goal threat and is generally all round a better player.

Long has always had these little burst of good form but generally he's never been much more than mediocre with pace. He works hard and I like him as a squad player but I'd take a fit Pelle over him every day of the week.

Why sell can't we have both and strength in the squad for rest of season?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Definitely lifted all aspects of his game, finishing aside.

The running is now useful rather than just a crowd pleaser and the midfield, especially Davis, like having someone to pick out rather than a more static striker.

I see that you're coming round to the view that he offers us something useful. Is your second name Austin and has this change only happened since you signed for us?

Welcome to the club ;)

Who would you buy to replace him out of interest?

I like Long, don't get me wrong, but a fee like that would be ridiculous and to make a profit on what we paid is probably beyond the clubs wildest dreams - which is why I'd say it's a no brainier. In terms of replacing him......I'd use the unexpected windfall as an opportunity to evolve the attacking element of our side. I'd look for a player who can play as a striker, but can also operate in the 2 flank positions. Seemingly El Sharrary (Milan) is available, Ziyech from Twente.

Nonsense IMO.

Pelle has bursts of form. He goes 14 games without scoring ffs. He takes up the middle of the front line and simply plays with his back to goal. A proper old fashioned target man who does not win that many headers (good at chesting the ball down) who has the odd good game. But with him, mane and other forward players are stuck wider generally as he is usually in the middle.

Midfielders must love him as he gives them so many options to feet, great leap, target man and put in gaps behind full backs pulls defence about. A steal at 12m [emoji1]

Makes a shed load of **** balls look half decent too. Pelle can't do that. We also seem to play the ball down the channels when Long plays, which is more effective than the long ball down the middle stuff we play when Pelle leads the line.

Edited by Chez

Long has become a good part of this team, we don't need to sell him, we need options and he is a good one, what we need to do is keep a team together, long would get lost in the mix at liverpool, if he wants to play he should stay, if he just wants the money......

I've not really kept up with the proposed Liverpool link.

Why do they need him exactly? Benteke / Origi / Firmino / Sturridge?

When would he play?

What about Ings also, what's going on with him up there?

Personally, if Liverpool came with an offer up to £15-18m, then we'd be nuts to say no. And given their history of overpaying for players, I wouldn't put it past them.

He is in great form for us right now though and he is showing us exactly why he's a thorn in so many sides. But if they offered silly money, it would make good financial sense for us I'd think. Liverpool do need to drop this obsession with our players though, it's becoming a little odd.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Personally, if Liverpool came with an offer up to £15-18m, then we'd be nuts to say no. And given their history of overpaying for players, I wouldn't put it past them.

He is in great form for us right now though and he is showing us exactly why he's a thorn in so many sides. But if they offered silly money, it would make good financial sense for us I'd think. Liverpool do need to drop this obsession with our players though, it's becoming a little odd.

Thank God the decision isn't up to you

Thank God the decision isn't up to you

You really want to hold on to Long when that kind of money comes along?

Long is working hard, making it difficult for defenders but let's be real here, that's almost the jackpot for a player like Long, who's not that hard to replace.

You really want to hold on to Long when that kind of money comes along?

Long is working hard, making it difficult for defenders but let's be real here, that's almost the jackpot for a player like Long, who's not that hard to replace.

I couldn't name a single player like Shane Long. There are plenty of strikers I'd rather have but he has a unique combination of skills which I'm glad we have in our squad.

I like Long, don't get me wrong, but a fee like that would be ridiculous and to make a profit on what we paid is probably beyond the clubs wildest dreams - which is why I'd say it's a no brainier. In terms of replacing him......I'd use the unexpected windfall as an opportunity to evolve the attacking element of our side. I'd look for a player who can play as a striker, but can also operate in the 2 flank positions. Seemingly El Sharrary (Milan) is available, Ziyech from Twente.

Might be ridiculous, but i'd rather keep Long than further develop our squad into one I have little connection with.

If Austin becomes our first choice striker, would we fancy starting him out wide again? He's less effective when he's occupying full backs rather than pulling centre halves out of position but he would still be useful. Can't see us sticking to two up top with Long and Austin because it would mean dropping Mane or Davis.

I couldn't name a single player like Shane Long. There are plenty of strikers I'd rather have but he has a unique combination of skills which I'm glad we have in our squad.

He reminds me a lot of Craig Mackail-Smith - bloody nuisance of a player who never gives up

If Austin becomes our first choice striker, would we fancy starting him out wide again? He's less effective when he's occupying full backs rather than pulling centre halves out of position but he would still be useful. Can't see us sticking to two up top with Long and Austin because it would mean dropping Mane or Davis.

Interesting conundrum. Right now Long and Mane start in the formation we have played the few games, but form and fitness will see that change. And then there's Pelle...real competition means a nose will be out out of joint.

Interesting conundrum. Right now Long and Mane start in the formation we have played the few games, but form and fitness will see that change. And then there's Pelle...real competition means a nose will be out out of joint.

Also don't forget Austin and Jrod combined very well for Burnley -of course, its a big if whether Jrod recovers fitness and form.

Mane might be missing the target lately but he's still exceptional around the park and getting himself and others into dangerous areas. One thing I've noticed about the new formation is much less attack from opposition players down our flanks and driving towards the box - the wing backs seem to be occupying the space higher up the pitch which seems to be drying up that route.

If there is any truth to the story then Liverpool must know we aren't going to sell a player that cost £12m for a paltry £8m. It's either made up paper talk or an attempt to unsettle him so they can come in for him in the Summer.

I'd put a couple more "ifs" there......

IF ...L'pool still have a striker problem after the summer, then they must expect to pay "real money " for Long, and.......

IF our striker force (Pelle / JayRod / Austin/ Mane) is working well, then someone would go.

IF Pelle and / or Mane go..we'd have enough "readies " to go out and buy the next one.

talk****e saying we have turned down an £8m bid. Danny Murphy though doubted it as it isn't improving what they have already.

EDIT - see a few posts up the Mirror link.

Well if Danny Murphy thinks that then the games up. He really is right up there with Garth Crooks and the Slug Balancer in the thick as **** stakes.

I wonder whether Shlong wants this move. Yes, it would be good to go to a big club. But what about his career? Chances are that he would be a stop gap temporary signing and would be discarded at the end of the season. I tend to think that he is somewhat more pragmatic than many players, and might see the situation for what it is.

One thing that isn't taken into account, and was pertinent with Austin's move here, is family. Shlong's Mrs wasn't happy at Hull and wanted to move south as her family IIRC is from Reading. Sure the money would be better at Liverpool, but he isn't exactly badly paid now. Would he want to unsettle his family life? Maybe his Mrs could be happy living up there, maybe not.

But isn't it funny, how so many said that Shlong was rubbish, too expensive etc etc and then one of the biggest clubs goes and puts a bid in for him.

Nonsense IMO.

Totally disagree with all of that.....

I'm more interested in who has made up the rumour and why. Presume that the likely candidate is the agent.

I think it's more likely a 2 + 2 = 5 case. Saints sign Charlie Austin which in journo world means Saints are looking to sell a striker. Who buys most Saints players these days ? Oh yeah........ :lol: