• Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Tadic
    • Juanmi

The commitment was key today, we didn't give up and RK has clearly had words in the dressing room to make the players wake up. Significantly more effort today, and if we can keep that up, the results will improve, plus as fans, that's all we want. The fans responded to the effort today as well, still too many unnecessary wary leavers (these are the games where you need to stay and show your appreciation) but singing at the end and for those of us there at the end, you can imagine the players appreciated the fact that we clapped and sang them off.

Top effort, keep it up and regardless of the results, we will know you are putting in the effort we need to see.

I think if long and pelle's game time was switched their goal outcome would be reversed. Long earns himself the odd start but if he doesn't get a goal he's back on the bench. He would surely end up with a good tally if he was our main striker. Not saying he's world class but he is good enough for saints.

Great result though and completely unexpected for most fans!

Picked the wrong fantasy line up for sure!

I think if long and pelle's game time was switched their goal outcome would be reversed. Long earns himself the odd start but if he doesn't get a goal he's back on the bench. He would surely end up with a good tally if he was our main striker. Not saying he's world class but he is good enough for saints.

Great result though and completely unexpected for most fans!

Picked the wrong fantasy line up for sure!

Long was brilliant but he's never scored more than 7 even in the championship so don't get carried away. Pelle has had an injury since start of November so don't overdo it.

Everyone was played well. Clasie and Vic were superb. Long had a good night. Cuca goal was insane. He did well. Was strong and solid.

Fonte and VvD were excellent.

Finally showed the tenacity and handwork we need. Well done boys. Well done.

I don't mind being proved wrong. I have been critical of Saints recently saying that we are gradually gathering up a squad full of average players. A few of those 'average' players proved to me that they can be better than average tonight. More of the same please and I won't mind being proved wrong in the slightest.

It's not a tactic that will work against most teams but its a tactic that will work against more teams this season than last due to a lower amount of quality in the team. The team seemed to come together with the management accepting we can't always play like we how to because of the change in players (or players who are unavailable) and what came together was a team performance that gave us a chance in the game and once we got our tails up the rest followed.

Completely did not expect that but what a great performance. The team clung to an identity of what they wanted to do and executed it very well. Hopefully this acts as a kickstart of a mini-run that can secure a comfortable top half finish.

Long may not of scored as many as pelle in the prem before but he was part of a worse team back then. I still think he would of done at least an equal job. I am a fan of both players though. We've done a lot worse in the past anyway!

Despite actual player quality I'd rather have players like long pelle and Davis than ungrateful mugs like wanyama who considering his awards at the end of last year has really let us down.

Long may not of scored as many as pelle in the prem before but he was part of a worse team back then. I still think he would of done at least an equal job. I am a fan of both players though. We've done a lot worse in the past anyway!

Despite actual player quality I'd rather have players like long pelle and Davis than ungrateful mugs like wanyama who considering his awards at the end of last year has really let us down.

Oh come on. Vic has been brilliant for 2 years and been much better than the others. A team of Davis and longs wouldn't get you too far.

What a great game for Saints. Like many, seeing the lineup, I feared the worst. However, Long gave us something Pele never gives us, workrate, he hassled their CB's all game, and closed down the keeper. He actually ran for lost causes, non of which Pele does, given the choice, I would play Long every game.

Yeah I know wanyama has been a crucial player but his attitude has been really disappointing this season. I know we can't turf out every player that doesn't show us complete loyalty but as a fan it p****s me off. I know you don't want a team full of their quality but at least they won't disrupt the squad in the way some have if they don't get what they want.

After seeing Dr Barry Gale had been back at the club, I've been telling everyone that we were going to thrash Arsenal. Did not expect it to actually happen though, now everyone thinks I'm a football genius. Great result, great team, great goal, so proud to support Saints and to have the team both on and off the pitch that we do. I love this club and whilst we will have some downs, it only serves to make the ups so much sweeter.

Yeah I know wanyama has been a crucial player but his attitude has been really disappointing this season. I know we can't turf out every player that doesn't show us complete loyalty but as a fan it p****s me off. I know you don't want a team full of their quality but at least they won't disrupt the squad in the way some have if they don't get what they want.

It is sad, but he's not the only one who's lacked work rate in the last few weeks. The team as a whole picked it up today.

Absolutely brilliant but is also highlights there's been something very wrong. Some don't seem to allow criticism or anything negative but we've been patchy at best this season and woeful the last month or so. Why? Poor form is one thing, tactics, selections etc haven't been great, but in this game we saw 10 times more energy, commitment, passion, pressing. Why today? How do we make sure we keep that up? It's clearly not just about selections.

Confidence is one thing. We started just as well against Spurs but didn't get the goal and deflated. Without Martina's goal it might even have been the same tonight, who knows?

What a great game for Saints. Like many, seeing the lineup, I feared the worst. However, Long gave us something Pele never gives us, workrate, he hassled their CB's all game, and closed down the keeper. He actually ran for lost causes, non of which Pele does, given the choice, I would play Long every game.

I'm glad Pelle isn't stupid enough to chase like Long does. He plays to his strengths.

Edited by DuncanRG

Wenger needs to learn humility. His team were second best and despite some terribly bias refereeing were soundly beaten 6-0 with two wiped off by said ref which he chooses to completely ignor. I really do think Wenger is a questionable human being who chooses the moments to see things and other moments to really strangely look the other way ????

A very poor loser - tough luck you winging Wenger and lucky you for not losing 6 nothing which would have been a fair result ..Such a big time Charlie with no charisma or generosity what so ever .. And while you are at it, for Gods sake go buy a coat that actually fits you!

It is sad, but he's not the only one who's lacked work rate in the last few weeks. The team as a whole picked it up today.

Confidence is one thing. We started just as well against Spurs but didn't get the goal and deflated. Without Martina's goal it might even have been the same tonight, who knows?

I'm glad Pelle isn't stupid enough to chase like Long does. He plays to his strengths.

Why is working hard 'stupid' exactly??? Perhaps you could explain?

Probably the most unexpected result in awhile.

Had us down for a battering yesterday, fully expected a 3/4-0 to Arsenal scoreline, but we did the business, cannot believe this team was even capable of that to be honest.

An incredible day and the best Xmas prezzie money can't buy!

I had a feeling about this game, even more so after the results today. It's plainly obvious that Arsenal choke, they cannot handle the pressure of expectation. They freeze and lack bottle, every year it's the same. I know many were expecting a tonking, but in reality it was never going to be that. They're good when it's early in the season, they get towards the top, people start to put expectation on them...and then that's it. They won't win the league, not a chance.

Onto us - we were terrific. So hard working, so honest in our performances all over the pitch. Shane Long didn't let the 2 cb's settle, and his influence - especially in the 2nd half - shook that Arsenal back 4 up. The important area today was midfield, that was a performance from Wanyama of which we havne't seen this season, and I was also pleased to see Clasie live up to the potential. Those 2 bossed the game today, Arsenal couldn't get any rhythm going what so ever. (even though they had a fair bit of possession, our shape and discipline meant that they were often forced backwards or sideways)

Take a bow Cuco though, he'll never hit one as good as that again! Glad I was there to witness it, I was in shock for at least 5mins...! (I'd love to know what the odds were on 4-0 with Martina the first goal scorer..!!!)

Overall, I never jumped onto the pessimist bandwagon, we're clearly a good side and Arsenal are clearly chokers - so this was never going to be a defeat.

The acid test comes on Monday, let's hope it's not a bit of an anticlimax, as back to back wins at this stage would spring us back up that league.

Overall, I never jumped onto the pessimist bandwagon, we're clearly a good side and Arsenal are clearly chokers - so this was never going to be a defeat.

The acid test comes on Monday, let's hope it's not a bit of an anticlimax, as back to back wins at this stage would spring us back up that league.

On our best days we surely are. But we had been in a bit of a rut for whatever reason. Hopefully it is over. I wasn't too worried while we were in it, and I am not getting carried away with one win. But we have proven we are more than capable. Let's carry on.

My first game of the season today due to being away for Uni usually.. Hate to be one of those guys, but had a feeling today was going to be a day we hit back and by God I was right. What an absolute cracker, think I'll have to come to more matches if we play like that! I'm just so happy I got to see that Martina goal, it was a sight to behold. Haven't celebrated like that in a while. Always keep the faith guys, footballs a strange one!

Amazing how all of a sudden the slump is all because of Pelle! Pelle is a great player!

The problem with the helmets on here is that they can't recognise what individual players bring to the team. Long adds pace, movement and running to our team, Pelle adds strength, hold up play and a traditional big man up top. Both have their pluses and minus but both are good players and would be the best option depending on who we play. long and Mane were perfect to play against Mertersaker tonight, a decent defender but as slow as Mr Snail with cramp. Pelle will be better suited to other games, I don't think he'd have had a lot of joy tonight. But in mongboard world one or both are either brilliant or sh*t, the messiah or the devil at any one time. They're both decent players, not world beaters but good signings for a club of our size. I've always said I thought long was a decent signing and as usual I've been proven right. He is proving himself to be an inspired signing and so has Pelle, both give us options and the ability to play more than one way, which is no more than fans of a middle sized premier league club can ask for.

Absolutely brilliant but is also highlights there's been something very wrong. Some don't seem to allow criticism or anything negative but we've been patchy at best this season and woeful the last month or so. Why? Poor form is one thing, tactics, selections etc haven't been great, but in this game we saw 10 times more energy, commitment, passion, pressing. Why today? How do we make sure we keep that up? It's clearly not just about selections.

I thought we eased into the game much better tonight. In recent weeks we've gone hell for leather in the first 30 and if when we haven't scored we have fallen away. About 25 minutes in today the commentator said he was surprised we weren't pushing more given it was a home game etc. Well the push came after the 30 minute mark for a change and we were much better for it.

:uhoh:

Love that he thinks the gap between them and us is what they should be judged on, as is that would be all that matters come seasons end.

Imagine Wenger taking that line? "Yes we finished 5th and missed out on CL, but at least we finished XX points ahead of Southampton. So it's been a successful season".

Crazy logic.

And why does he keep drinking from his bottle like that? Dumbarse.

More importantly, is there a link to the match online yet? I will watch it at work later.

Edited by GarrettIvo

Love that he thinks the gap between them and us is what they should be judged on, as is that would be all that matters come seasons end.

Imagine Wenger taking that line? "Yes we finished 5th and missed out on CL, but at least we finished XX points ahead of Southampton. So it's been a successful season".

Crazy logic.

More importantly, is there a link to the match online yet? I will watch it at work later.

http://www.footballorgin.net/2015/12/southampton-v-arsenal-premier-league.html

Crazy logic.

I think you missed his point tbh . He meant that this was a blip . That they are miles better than us and it will be shown at the end of the season .

Quite the opposite for Saints fans who will obsess over this win and the Chelsea win regardless of our final league position .

I was more surprised that he thought the ref was on our side ? That defied all logic

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This is what happens when you play without the stationary adonis. We looked great with pace and movement. Far less predictable and mostly on the deck until the final ball. I said at the start of the season Martina would eventually have a cult following. It's gathering momentum. What a goal.

What a lovely humble person

I had a feeling about this game, even more so after the results today. It's plainly obvious that Arsenal choke, they cannot handle the pressure of expectation. They freeze and lack bottle, every year it's the same. I know many were expecting a tonking, but in reality it was never going to be that. They're good when it's early in the season, they get towards the top, people start to put expectation on them...and then that's it. They won't win the league, not a chance.

Onto us - we were terrific. So hard working, so honest in our performances all over the pitch. Shane Long didn't let the 2 cb's settle, and his influence - especially in the 2nd half - shook that Arsenal back 4 up. The important area today was midfield, that was a performance from Wanyama of which we havne't seen this season, and I was also pleased to see Clasie live up to the potential. Those 2 bossed the game today, Arsenal couldn't get any rhythm going what so ever. (even though they had a fair bit of possession, our shape and discipline meant that they were often forced backwards or sideways)

Take a bow Cuco though, he'll never hit one as good as that again! Glad I was there to witness it, I was in shock for at least 5mins...! (I'd love to know what the odds were on 4-0 with Martina the first goal scorer..!!!)

The odds were 2000/1 btw with SkyBet. Someone also had £50 on 4-0 at 100/1. Oh and our great value bookies in the ground had it at a whopping 40/1. Scandalous how sh1te value they are

That was fun. 11:45 KO here so watched it in bed with Mrs D_P fast asleep alongside, yep, I woke her up when the second went in and she watched as well, think we probably wole the neighbours with the celebration for the 3rd goal!

John Champion & Clive Allen were our 'taters and did a great job, praising us and analyzing what Arsenal were doing wrong, and correctly discussed the Shlong back heel & VVD "goals" also showed why he missed that 1 on 1 (shuffled his feet to put it onto his right foot when should have taken it on his left....)

I thought Martina was superb. Obviously the goal, but to come in out of the cold and put in a 90 minute shift like that?

JWP was giving him very little cover in the 1st half letting Monreal onto him, yet Cuco was disciplined and well positioned. Jose had one minor wobble by the touchline but was back to his best, perhaps helped by the fact that Martina is a RB that can defend, (if limited on the overlap compared with Cedric) and perhaps having Stek back gives the CB's a bit more confidence?

VW stood out in midfield, but credit must be given to all of them for executing the plan to play the ball in behind their defence. Tbh thought Wenger was simply deflecting with those whines about the ref, it was SO obvious that we were playing that tactic yet Wenger did NOTHING to try and counter it (as in drop deeper and squeeze the space). Limp performance by the Arsenal players but the Manager also contributed to that defeat with his arrogance in not changing things when it was clear what we were doing tactically.

Clasie showed that he has the eye for a more penetrating ball, Davis kept popping up all over the place, often at left back when Betrand was rampaging forwards in the first half.

Like last season Pelle has clearly been struggling for a few weeks with a knock, (but is a black hole now on here), so in some ways the tweak this week was a stroke of luck that helped shape the win. I have NO doubt that when back to full fitness (and mobility) he will pop back to show up the Intelligensia on here.

Mane wasn't a surprise through the centre, he's played there before and been so effective, and Shlong did nothing new. In fact it was almost like he reverted to the old Shlong from Hull/WBA. He was a nasty moaning, niggling piece of sh1t last night. And WHAT a difference. I used to hate him as a player and moaned when we signed him, yet for us he has always seemed "Too Nice" and more Perfect Hair than Annoying Bastard. MotM by a country mile, perhaps RK had him in mind when he talked about us being too nice. More of the same please Shane!

Last night we finally played to his strengths, I was worried he would pick up a really stupid red card but he also showed his intelligence by managing to stay annoying after his Yellow but not pushing it too far. With the Torygraph reporting that Pelle could be out for "weeks" there is going to be a lot of weight on his shoulders to stay fit and not pick up a ban.

Hope that Clasie's knee injury isn't serious, just as he has got up to speed it would be a real shame to lose him as well for a while.

Who to play at RB against West Ham after that showing? Cuco or Cedric? Glad I'm not RK.

(And of course huge shout out to Dr Barry Gale, it really could have been 6 goals again last night no matter how stupid that sounded at the time!)