• Wanyama
    • Ward-Prowse
    • Davis
    • Mané
    • Long
    • Romeu
    • Tadic
    • Juanmi

I rate Pelle very highly but the core of last night's amazing turn of fortune was playing without him.

He's been carrying an injury for months and last night proved that we shouldn't have been persevering with him on the pitch whilst injured. The change in formation and team gave the movement and pace that we have lacked for months. The result was proof that we should've been looking for alternatives months ago.

I also thought that Shane Long's comment in his post match interview about "playing for one another as a team and not complaining" was interesting in that Pelle is often the player who is shouting at his teammates and complaining. A fit Pelle is still one of our greatest assets ...but an injured Pelle is not.

there are a number of people on here who are so quick to condemn new players who don't fit in the first 45 minutes, and so it has been for (the sub.) ....Cuco Martina.

I won't name the person who, last October...branded Sadio Mane as worse than Ali Dia...but I'm glad for Martina's sake that he made an impression when given the chance.

I haven't looked at his stats. and maybe he didn't win every tackle or interception, but at the end of the day ....no-one scored due to an error he made (if any).

Wenger is always quick to explain away the referee's mistakes .and he did so with 3 of our goals, but in the end Arsene...we scored at least one more than you.

For spectacular efforts Cuco's goal rates with Clyne's League Cup goal (v Arsenal)... and the legendary " Golac goal " at The Dell all those years ago.

for those of us who like stats. the performance was enhanced by the fact that despite having the lowest possession stats.so far this season (35%) ...we had 14 shots v. 7 ...and of 5 on the target - we scored 4 of them. Tadic was extremely unlucky...(shot saved by Cech) when was the last time he conceded 4 (?)....and Long hit the post.

An outstanding display, and good to see " a bit of muscle in midfield "..and Long was like an angry wasp to the Arsenal defenders. They must hate coming to SMS.

Edited by david in sweden

How sad to see Arsene Wenger behaving like a spoilt brat in his MotD interview claiming all four goals were 'discussable', while failing to mention that Saints' actually had the ball in the net 6 times as well as hitting the post. His a team were thoroughly outplayed but all he could admit was that he team should have won a few more tackles while blaming the ref for the result.

Long was brilliant but he's never scored more than 7 even in the championship so don't get carried away. .

well.stats. disprove that one Roger...

at Reading, ShLong scored 9, 9 and 25 in his last 3 seasons.

At WBA.... he scored 8 and 11 in his first 2 seasons..and

At Hull he scored 4 ..in only 15 games. He's really not as bad as you make out..especially as he's not a front line striker in the traditional mould.

First goal makes a big difference. Last few games I've been to we've not taken our chances when on top and then the defence has had a brain fart. Each time that has happened you can see the whole team deflate.

Getting the first goal last night ( probably against the run of play) made all the difference and the players seemed to grow into the game.

I really don't think we've been as bad as some think over the last few weeks but the lack of finishing has been a problem which has buggered the teams confidence. Hopefully last night will bring the confidence back.

How sad to see Arsene Wenger behaving like a spoilt brat in his MotD interview claiming all four goals were 'discussable', while failing to mention that Saints' actually had the ball in the net 6 times as well as hitting the post. His a team were thoroughly outplayed but all he could admit was that he team should have won a few more tackles while blaming the ref for the result.

I'v not seen all of the match yet but I didn't see much "discussable" about the first goal, well apart from some poor defending by Arsenal that is. Arse were poor, Wenger needs to accept that.

Great performance, refreshing to see that we really can play well as a team and don't have to rely on certain liabilities.

Seems no coincidence to me that we remove Pelle from the side due to "injury" and we look a completely different side going forward, as others have referenced, Long's comments post-match must have been referenced to him and his constant moaning.

Great to see Martina show we do have a decent right back at the club.

Most surprising is the way Arsenal couldn't handle pace up front, despite all the pace they have going forward - what exactly do they do in training?

Great performance, refreshing to see that we really can play well as a team and don't have to rely on certain liabilities.

Seems no coincidence to me that we remove Pelle from the side due to "injury" and we look a completely different side going forward, as others have referenced, Long's comments post-match must have been referenced to him and his constant moaning.

Great to see Martina show we do have a decent right back at the club.

Most surprising is the way Arsenal couldn't handle pace up front, despite all the pace they have going forward - what exactly do they do in training?

saw some photos of them on one site (?) ....training hard ....on Christmas Eve (!)

Why is working hard 'stupid' exactly??? Perhaps you could explain?

He's not quick enough to catch the balls or apply the pressure that Long does. If he were to try and play like that, he would leave space to pass into and have nothing to show for it. Working hard isn't stupid, but you've got to apply your effort in the most effective way.

On the subject of counterattacking, Mane and Long were both great going through the centre but we can't take too much from our success on the break last night. Having the opposition come onto us, leave their centre halves exposed and have those CBs cock up individually isn't going to happen very often. As we all know, one of our problems is breaking down teams who come and defend and we're not earning the right to play on the break by getting the early goal.

The problem with the helmets on here is that they can't recognise what individual players bring to the team. Long adds pace, movement and running to our team, Pelle adds strength, hold up play and a traditional big man up top. Both have their pluses and minus but both are good players and would be the best option depending on who we play. long and Mane were perfect to play against Mertersaker tonight, a decent defender but as slow as Mr Snail with cramp. Pelle will be better suited to other games, I don't think he'd have had a lot of joy tonight. But in mongboard world one or both are either brilliant or sh*t, the messiah or the devil at any one time. They're both decent players, not world beaters but good signings for a club of our size. I've always said I thought long was a decent signing and as usual I've been proven right. He is proving himself to be an inspired signing and so has Pelle, both give us options and the ability to play more than one way, which is no more than fans of a middle sized premier league club can ask for.
'is this his gourd, his holy gourd?

'Turks is the messiah the holy one, his judgement is so much better than all others that follow the lord St Mary'

He risest up from the dead once a victory doth become, to spread the word of the wisest of man. To proclaim his commandments that we must follow. He is the disciple of St Les of staplewood, and Ice hockey Ralpf of Vancouver. Their words does he worship and goes out to preach us uncivilised disbelievers.

Never has he been wrong in an opinion and many go on bended knee in his company. Come all ye faithful and follow Turkish as he is the self proclaimed lord of football forums

Psalm 4-0

Well what a smashing surprise Christmas present that was from the lads.

That was a bit like last season pre Christmas replace Sheffield Utd with Spurs and us looking poor then replace Everton who most folks thought would batter us with Arsenal.

Absolute cracker of a goal to settle us down and another poor performance from the ref in the first half to really get our dander up and away we went.

I spent most of Boxing Day pretty hacked off at the kick off time buggering up the day a bit, but got home a very happy Saturday Saints fan.

if you have BT sport the game gets a re run at 11am this morning

We bossed the game in every area pretty much.

Midfield was in control, great tactics by RK

Defence very solid, can only remember the Walcott header as a threat, kept them quiet

Ozil virtually out of game, credit to vic and class for that

Up front mane gave them a tough time

Shane Long, brilliant, they simply could not cope with him.... 12 million pound performance

The problem with the helmets on here is that they can't recognise what individual players bring to the team. Long adds pace, movement and running to our team, Pelle adds strength, hold up play and a traditional big man up top. Both have their pluses and minus but both are good players and would be the best option depending on who we play. long and Mane were perfect to play against Mertersaker tonight, a decent defender but as slow as Mr Snail with cramp. Pelle will be better suited to other games, I don't think he'd have had a lot of joy tonight. But in mongboard world one or both are either brilliant or sh*t, the messiah or the devil at any one time. They're both decent players, not world beaters but good signings for a club of our size. I've always said I thought long was a decent signing and as usual I've been proven right. He is proving himself to be an inspired signing and so has Pelle, both give us options and the ability to play more than one way, which is no more than fans of a middle sized premier league club can ask for.

Spot on. I think this has been the big penny that needs to drop. What we need is to be able to play our usual 4231, or 352, or 442 whenever the situation demands. It doesn't mean that last night proves we don't ever play Pelle and 4231 ever again! Can't see why people dont see this. Koeman deserves big credit for his tactical approach and I think we will see three formations used more going forward - not just seeking to replicate last night week in week out which won't happen.

Spot on. I think this has been the big penny that needs to drop. What we need is to be able to play our usual 4231, or 352, or 442 whenever the situation demands. It doesn't mean that last night proves we don't ever play Pelle and 4231 ever again! Can't see why people dont see this. Koeman deserves big credit for his tactical approach and I think we will see three formations used more going forward - not just seeking to replicate last night week in week out which won't happen.

We beat Arsenal at home last year too, and Pelle played in that. So Shane Long playing last night because Pelle was injured doesn't prove that Long was preferred to Pelle at all. If anything I think there is only one time in Koemans tenure where in the league both have been fit and Long has been preferred (Chelsea away last season).

The reason they both play for Saints is because they are inconsistent - Pelle goes through massive streaks of playing well and then playing like dirt, and Shane Long's touch will come and go as well.

'Turks is the messiah the holy one, his judgement is so much better than all others that follow the lord St Mary'

He risest up from the dead once a victory doth become, to spread the word of the wisest of man. To proclaim his commandments that we must follow. He is the disciple of St Les of staplewood, and Ice hockey Ralpf of Vancouver. Their words does he worship and goes out to preach us uncivilised disbelievers.

Never has he been wrong in an opinion and many go on bended knee in his company. Come all ye faithful and follow Turkish as he is the self proclaimed lord of football forums

Psalm 4-0

A-men.

I think you missed his point tbh . He meant that this was a blip . That they are miles better than us and it will be shown at the end of the season .

Quite the opposite for Saints fans who will obsess over this win and the Chelsea win regardless of our final league position .

I was more surprised that he thought the ref was on our side ? That defied all logic

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Yes it was a blip for them, and a fantastic [one-off] result for us. Yes they will be miles ahead of us come season end.

But it doesn't at all address WHY they had this blip on the night they were expected to do us over and go top of the league.

I'm only about to watch the game now as the timing didn't really work for me this morning, so I can't make any comment on the ref.

Yes it was a blip for them, and a fantastic [one-off] result for us. Yes they will be miles ahead of us come season end.

But it doesn't at all address WHY they had this blip on the night they were expected to do us over and go top of the league.

I'm only about to watch the game now as the timing didn't really work for me this morning, so I can't make any comment on the ref.

I didn't see any evidence of bias from the ref but there were a few decisions that seemed a bit haphazard and a couple that were incorrect but these were very minor and should not detract from our performance on the night which was perfectly suited our opponents. Whether we should play the same way against every team is questionable.

Psalm 4-0

Helmet in Chief and Ming of the Mongs. His titles are growing with every utterance he doth make.

I didn't see any evidence of bias from the ref but there were a few decisions that seemed a bit haphazard and a couple that were incorrect but these were very minor and should not detract from our performance on the night which was perfectly suited our opponents. Whether we should play the same way against every team is questionable.

Failing to stop the game for Schlong's head injury? Minor?

Jon Moss is without a doubt the worse referee on offer.

When we are winning and the ref gets booed off you know he's an incompetent fool.

Can't stop smiling. Wonderful evening. That is what supporting Saints is all about, the unexpected .

I hate the way Arsenal line up to wave to all four sides of the ground - arrogant t*ssers.

How can Wenger bemoan the first three goals when two of them were disallowed (Long back heal after being fouled by the German, and VVD header)

Arsenal - you took one hell of a beating.

Can't stop smiling. Wonderful evening. That is what supporting Saints is all about, the unexpected .

I hate the way Arsenal line up to wave to all four sides of the ground - arrogant t*ssers.

How can Wenger bemoan the first three goals when two of them were disallowed (Long back heal after being fouled by the German, and VVD header)

Arsenal - you took one hell of a beating.

I agree it's arrogant.

Failing to stop the game for Schlong's head injury? Minor?

Jon Moss is without a doubt the worse referee on offer.

When we are winning and the ref gets booed off you know he's an incompetent fool.

I don't remember this head injury and I can't recall any booing of the ref. Perhaps we saw the game differently?

I don't remember this head injury and I can't recall any booing of the ref. Perhaps we saw the game differently?

There was loads of booing of the ref in the first half and Long had to go off after gettig elbowed in the head which the ref let go, right after letting him get one in the back as well. Not sure how you can see anything differently.

Koscielny caught Long with an elbow in the second half. Long laughed it off when he got back up as it was a result of him terrorising Koscielny throughout the game so he knew he got in their heads.

As an aside did anyone else notice VvD treating Giroud like a little child off the ball all game? Giroud would make runs across VvD during throw ins and try to leave a little on VvD and VvD would just absolutely bully him and throw him off course. This made Giroud try harder and every time VvD just shoved him a little bit harder to the point with 15mins left VvD was two hand shoving him :lol:

He went down with a head injury, ref carried on. Then when the game stopped Moss told him to leave the field to see to the wound. Long was not happy. Conversely he stopped the game when an Arsenal player went down with a leg injury.

He was booed off at half time.

As happened before (Everton last season I think).

He is awful. I apologised to the very proper lady in front of me for my language towards the ref last night and she turned round and said: "it's ok, he is f*cking useless".

I'm not really a ref hater usually but he is completely incompetent and has been for some while.

If anyone wants a chuckle have a read through this -

http://arsenal-mania.com/forum/threads/pl-southampton-vs-arsenal-sat-26th-dec-19-45.28703/page-14

Starts at the Martina goal....great read!

WurzlSepp: Seriously if you really think this is thanx to Southampton doing good then you need a reality check. Our players are just arrogant.

Oh, the irony...

WurzlSepp: Seriously if you really think this is thanx to Southampton doing good then you need a reality check. Our players are just arrogant.

Oh, the irony...

Even more ironic was post 375 - "If Shane long was a footballer we'd be fuc ked" (written just after Longy hoisted his delicate chip high into the stand)

Long's booking was ridiculous if Moss had been doing his job properly and ensuring Cech took the free kick from the correct place then Long would not have intervened. And it was a dubious free kick in the first place.

Jonathan Woss was determined to book Long right from the start, some sort of grudge I assume from a previous encounter. His refereeing last night was shameful, not big decisions but stupid stuff, his lines were shocking as well. He was so pro-Arsenal in the first half it was shocking, he came round to us later in the 2nd half when he realised he was supporting the losing side. How Wenger can claim Woss cost his side the game is just unbelievable. I don't often criticise referees, they usually do a job to the best of their abilities and it is a tahnkless task, but to have a cheat out in the middle is just wrong.

Oh, sorry its Moss, not Woss, I mixed him up with a comedian.

Great result against and in form team. Great that we finally broke the hoodoo of beating a top half team this season.

One swallow doesn't make a summer. We need to build on it against an out of sorts West Ham team and get back into the top half.

The martina situation still baffles me. Great goal and from the sounds of it solid performance, but what's baffling is that it has taken this long for him to be offered the chance when we've been playing players out of position there.

Fantastic to see stek back.

Long showed that he is a good premiership striker. He may lack that extra quality when it comes to his finishing & we may have payed over the odds for him but for an alternative option he is as good as the likes of saints are likely to be able to attract.

Davis was off side in the build up

He wasn't. Not even close, he was well outside of the penalty area on our left having headed the ball back out for Bertrand to put the cross in, there must have been at least 5 Arsenal players between Davis and the goal. Long, Ward-Prowse and Mane were all in offside positions, but none were even close to interfering with play. Davis also set up the second goal with a superb through ball from inside our own half to Long who then switched it to Mane who then gets a superb assist for Long. Why has Bertrand not been taking corners before? His cross for the 3rd was perfect, and he followed up a little later with a copy book repeat which was going in until Arsenal cleared it off the line.

Long's booking was ridiculous if Moss had been doing his job properly and ensuring Cech took the free kick from the correct place then Long would not have intervened. And it was a dubious free kick in the first place.

Long had been mouthing off and arguing with Moss for some time before that. Whether or not you think it was a foul there was no need for Long to touch the ball and he could have just got on with the game.

The whistle had gone before the backheel.

He wasn't. Not even close, he was well outside of the penalty area on our left having headed the ball back out for Bertrand to put the cross in, there must have been at least 5 Arsenal players between Davis and the goal. Long, Ward-Prowse and Mane were all in offside positions, but none were even close to interfering with play. Davis also set up the second goal with a superb through ball from inside our own half to Long who then switched it to Mane who then gets a superb assist for Long. Why has Bertrand not been taking corners before? His cross for the 3rd was perfect, and he followed up a little later with a copy book repeat which was going in until Arsenal cleared it off the line.

He was offside - just but that is offside. Sorry, it was discussed and shown at length (kind of what Wenger alluded to)- from the lino's perspective he appeared to be in line with the last defender but the camera angle showed more than half of his body was ahead of the defender. Cue argument about the definition of "inline" but the Consensus was - offside in the same way consensus was that VVD was ONSIDE and Shlong was offside but not interfering so HIS goal should have stood.

Of course we had a proper 'tater not the idiot BT hire ;)

Long had been mouthing off and arguing with Moss for some time before that. Whether or not you think it was a foul there was no need for Long to touch the ball and he could have just got on with the game.

The whistle had gone before the backheel.

The ref was awful. I fail to understand why week after week you think the refs (who have clearly been crap) have done well

Even the tater on NBC was stunned how how incredibly inconsistent the ref was in our game and said he had a shocker