Who is going down?

Saint Charlie

Think Villa, Sunderland and Swansea, shame as I like the latter but the caretaker idea very rarely works and that Oxford defeat will stink the Liberty out for a while.

Saints have to be favourites to finish bottom 3 next year though without a big change of transfer strategy. If VW and SM are sold, the fans will expect to see all of that re-invested + a £15-20m net spend, even that would probably leave us behind the newly promoted clubs. We've cut the board slack because of Cortese's waste - training ground, Osvaldo, Gaston - but no excuses next summer Les Reed.

Think Villa, Sunderland and Swansea, shame as I like the latter but the caretaker idea very rarely works and that Oxford defeat will stink the Liberty out for a while.

Saints have to be favourites to finish bottom 3 next year though without a big change of transfer strategy. If VW and SM are sold, the fans will expect to see all of that re-invested + a £15-20m net spend, even that would probably leave us behind the newly promoted clubs. We've cut the board slack because of Cortese's waste - training ground, Osvaldo, Gaston - but no excuses next summer Les Reed.

That cannot be the sole reason for OUR LACK OF SPENDING.

I would prefer it if we avoided the bottom half of the table all together tbh.

Villa are gone, either Newcastle or Sunderland have to go this season they've been living on borrowed time for far too long.

My problem is that we are far too close to the drop zone so there is no margin for error, it's not just the next two games - it's every single game between now and the end of the season. 6 points between us and (currently) Newcastle is a dire position to be in at this stage of the season. Sitting there and saying 'this team is too good to go down' is irrelevant based on what we have seen over the past ten matches- We need goals and we need wins and we no longer have time or points to trade for poor performances.

I don't care how it is done. In fact I would prefer to see us become a version of TonyPulis' Stoke team and grind out results than play pretty football and still come away with f*ck all at full time.

Chelsea getting relegated would be hilarious though

I think Bournemouth are in greater danger than people might realise. They've wasted a lot of their winnable home games (they've already played all of the bottom three at home - and only picked up three points from them)

Plus, they still have to play those three teams away from home, and whilst its perfectly possible they'll kick on and effortlessly glide up to mid-table, they'll find themselves donating points to precisely the wrong opponents if it does all go horribly wrong.

Oh, and they have a pretty grim finish to the season:

19 Mar Tottenham Bournemouth

2 Apr Bournemouth Manchester C.

9 Apr Aston Villa Bournemouth

16 Apr Bournemouth Liverpool

23 Apr Bournemouth Chelsea

30 Apr Everton Bournemouth

7 May Bournemouth West Bromwich

15 May Manchester U. Bournemouth

They're available at 9/2 if anyone fancies a punt.

Apparently Shelvey is a class A pickey knob with an even bigger knob of an agent. Stacks of ability ruined by dire attitude - (IMHO)

The guy can certainly play but as you say, has an attitude problem. It probably doesn't help that he looks like a not so Mini Me.

I think Bournemouth are in greater danger than people might realise. They've wasted a lot of their winnable home games (they've already played all of the bottom three at home - and only picked up three points from them)

Plus, they still have to play those three teams away from home, and whilst its perfectly possible they'll kick on and effortlessly glide up to mid-table, they'll find themselves donating points to precisely the wrong opponents if it does all go horribly wrong.

Oh, and they have a pretty grim finish to the season:

19 Mar Tottenham Bournemouth

2 Apr Bournemouth Manchester C.

9 Apr Aston Villa Bournemouth

16 Apr Bournemouth Liverpool

23 Apr Bournemouth Chelsea

30 Apr Everton Bournemouth

7 May Bournemouth West Bromwich

15 May Manchester U. Bournemouth

They're available at 9/2 if anyone fancies a punt.

Did my ******** at 2/1! but encouraged by your email!

I was on my own last August when I said that we would be in for a hard season. I have consistently maintained that stance and have been proven correct. Many have joined the party late. I did not make an out and out prediction of relegation, but it could be very tight. Lose the next two and I reckon we will go down.

As some have said, so far we show no ambition in the January transfer market compared to some of our relegation threatened rivals.

You're right you have consistently maintained that stance....... every season, you said that before 14-15 season for sure and we finished 7th, should of finished 5th if we hadnt been so poor in the last dozen or so games.

Having seen their spirited display against ManUre yesterday. I think Newcastle will stay up. The trouble is, I have not seen anything remotely like that from us for a long time. Until I do, I shall be worried until we have 40 points this season. Three tonight will do nicely but, given recent displays, I am not confident.

Also, I note that the Radio London commentary team for the Palace match maintained that Palace would not have conceded the second goal like we did (the defence would not have switched off while the ball bounced towards the goal line as ours seemed to do); I thought that was an instructive comment.

I was on my own last August when I said that we would be in for a hard season. I have consistently maintained that stance and have been proven correct. Many have joined the party late. I did not make an out and out prediction of relegation, but it could be very tight. Lose the next two and I reckon we will go down.

As some have said, so far we show no ambition in the January transfer market compared to some of our relegation threatened rivals.

You say the same bloody thing every season. You are bound to be right once in a while because we are not a top 4 club.

Law of averages.

On your own??? No you weren't! I said exactly the same thing and got lambasted. Just for the record, I totally agree with what you're saying. :-)

This season is a complete non-starter I reckon. We'll limp on to somewhere midtable or so. But we are 9 ahead of the drop, and we have enough quality that we will pick up points here and there. We aren't in danger. As long as we pick up another 10 points from the last 17 games - which we will do at a minimum.

http://www.sportsclubstats.com/England/Southampton.html

Latest odds pretty much reflect the table excluding Chelsea. So want Newcastle to go but look pretty good at times. Swansea look best value to join villa and Sunderland. Sunderland got lucky tonight 89b27e23c0af0ebd6e03c64b1d70b9a5.jpg

The trouble with these predictions is that down at the bottom it only needs a couple of quick wins to completely change the situation.

Swansea have got to be getting worried now. Sacking Monk with no back up plan not looking a great idea. Amazing how Swansea and us have gone from best of the rest to lower table in a season.

I think this will be the way of the premier league from now on. The big 6 will always be there, a couple of teams will challenge them and become 'best of the rest' and the rest will plod along, intermittently getting a bit jittery about relegation.

Those 3 teams struggle for goals and need a good striker. Sunderland have Defoe and a manager who's never been relegated, Newcastle have decent players who can score goals, West Brom are solid and have a manager who's never been relegated, Bournemouth have a good manager and they won't struggle to score goals.

Those 3 teams struggle for goals and need a good striker. Sunderland have Defoe and a manager who's never been relegated, Newcastle have decent players who can score goals, West Brom are solid and have a manager who's never been relegated, Bournemouth have a good manager and they won't struggle to score goals.

I don't think having a manager who hasn't been relegated is a sure sign for survival. There is a first time for everything!

I'd love Villa to drop as I used to have a mate who was a fan and he'd forever Lord it over me espicially in the 90's when we were crap. Would love to laugh at him and see how he likes them apples.

Sunderland add nothing whatsoever to the Premier League. Perennial strugglers that always float around the bottom of the table yet always pull off survival. Would like to see them drop, espicially as Fat Sam is a knob.

Finally I'd like to see Newcastle drop, for no real reason other than I can't stand Steve McLaren and Mike Ashley is a ****.

I'd love Villa to drop as I used to have a mate who was a fan and he'd forever Lord it over me espicially in the 90's when we were crap. Would love to laugh at him and see how he likes them apples.

Sunderland add nothing whatsoever to the Premier League. Perennial strugglers that always float around the bottom of the table yet always pull off survival. Would like to see them drop, espicially as Fat Sam is a knob.

Finally I'd like to see Newcastle drop, for no real reason other than I can't stand Steve McLaren and Mike Ashley is a ****.

You mean like we were for 15 years or so? :smug:

From a travelling fans point of view, I always like to see northern teams relegated (skates excepted) particularly the North East due to distance. Trouble is, even if the Geordies and Mackems dropped (which they won't) it looks like Boro and Hull will likely come up. Could be 4 trips to the NE next season!

Hopefully we are off the list now :-)

Some time ago, I said that we would finish above Leicester, which I guess meant we would finish above Watford and Palace. I think that we still could, but only just, or is that being ridiculously optimistic while not giving Leicester enough credit? I feel, like we did and so many clubs our size do, that they have hit a sticky patch. The big clubs like City can replace someone not firing on all cylinders with someone equally capable, but Leicester can't replace Vardy with someone who is going to score the same amount of goals.

As for going down....

Villa and then 2 from Swansea, Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland. Think Swansea are going really tits up at the moment and then I would say given the NE spending power and manager in Fat Sam, that it would be Norwich.

Some time ago, I said that we would finish above Leicester, which I guess meant we would finish above Watford and Palace. I think that we still could, but only just, or is that being ridiculously optimistic while not giving Leicester enough credit? I feel, like we did and so many clubs our size do, that they have hit a sticky patch. The big clubs like City can replace someone not firing on all cylinders with someone equally capable, but Leicester can't replace Vardy with someone who is going to score the same amount of goals.

As for going down....

Villa and then 2 from Swansea, Norwich, Newcastle and Sunderland. Think Swansea are going really tits up at the moment and then I would say given the NE spending power and manager in Fat Sam, that it would be Norwich.

We will not finish above Leicester.

It was pretty obvious we weren't going down even two weeks ago. We weren't then, we're not now.

Yep, but had that form continued for a couple more games we would have been in the mix.

Thankfully it hasn't.

Will be pretty tight down there now that Newcastle have improved.

I reckon its Villa plus two of Norwich, Swansea and Sunderland.