......and so what about summer signings?

david in sweden

OK that's all over and done with until the summer......but how do you think the team / squad will change by the time August comes around?

My thoughts..

Kelvin Davis will get his testamonial (of course) and retire....

Replacement?...I'd sign Stekelenburg permanently. He wasn't responsible for all our defeats, and he's got experience and there are a lot worse out there.

Gazzaniga HAS to have along loan-out somwhere before he becomes another Cody Cropper or Tommy Forecast :scared:

Jose Fonte is still under contract until 2018 (and well-deserved) but if our new-look back line is to succeed, he needs to stay fit and in form.

I certainly wouldn't look to replace him, but Koeman will want to have a top rate back-up - just in case, and Gardos is still an unknown quantity at this level.

Expect to lose Wanyama....and promote Romeu to the central role. I really appreciate Steven Davis...(even if many others don't), but 30 is a dangerous age Cynthia oops! (sorry Ronald). If Clasie continues to improve, and JWP finally gets some consistancy that may solve that question, but I expect us to sign another of Koeman's " Dutch favourites" to make up the numbers in midfield.

Mane will surely go ....to Chelsea or Man Utd ...or West Ham:lol: ...so RK will have to re-think that particular role .

A lot depends on JayRod's recovery. If he gets back to a good Prem. level of fitness, he and Charlie Austin will be a formidable strike pair up front. I'd keep Shane Long (sorry about that Saint Charlie) but expect to see another good striker coming in.

Juanmi isn't the only one disappointed about his lack of success. If he doesn't make a mark soon, then he 'll go back to Spain either permananetly or a long loan.

There will be a thorough overall of the U21 lads. Loan outs like McCarthy, Turnbull, Stephens, Seager and Isgrove will need to prove something ...to someone.

....but I expect one of two of them to come into next season's squad.

What are your thoughts?

Not sure Stek would want to be reserve. Personally don't see Gazzaniga needing a loan, think he needs either confidence of being elevated to 2nd choice with ideally getting a run out in league cup. He seems to be improving and bringing in a keeper over his head isn't going to do him any good. Ideally pick up a third keeper on a short term deal to cover until there's someone coming up through the academy.

Can't see the value in bringing in any more centre backs unless we are shipping out Gardos/Yoshida as first choice pair are settled, especially when there's the likes of Stephens/Mccarthy hopefully returning after good loan spells.

Key business defensively will be tying Bertrand down to a long term deal. Cover in that position is fine.

Make decision on Soares/Martina whether we need to replace

Wanyama will leave, Romeu will take that spot. We'll likely need another midfielder alongside hopefully Reed getting some real involvement. As you say perhaps someone who is more akin to Davis in style.

Assume Pelle may leave as may Mane if United are still interested. If Jayrod actually comes back we probably need to spend heavily on a like for like replacement for Mane.

If Juanmi decides to opt out rather than stick it out that may require a further addition.

Not sure Stek would want to be reserve. Personally don't see Gazzaniga needing a loan, think he needs either confidence of being elevated to 2nd choice with ideally getting a run out in league cup. He seems to be improving and bringing in a keeper over his head isn't going to do him any good. Ideally pick up a third keeper on a short term deal to cover until there's someone coming up through the academy.

Can't see the value in bringing in any more centre backs unless we are shipping out Gardos/Yoshida as first choice pair are settled, especially when there's the likes of Stephens/Mccarthy hopefully returning after good loan spells.

Key business defensively will be tying Bertrand down to a long term deal. Cover in that position is fine.

Make decision on Soares/Martina whether we need to replace

Wanyama will leave, Romeu will take that spot. We'll likely need another midfielder alongside hopefully Reed getting some real involvement. As you say perhaps someone who is more akin to Davis in style.

Assume Pelle may leave as may Mane if United are still interested. If Jayrod actually comes back we probably need to spend heavily on a like for like replacement for Mane.

If Juanmi decides to opt out rather than stick it out that may require a further addition.

We never produce keepers though :\

Maybe some of this depends on whether (50/50?) we make Europe or not, and if so (also 50/50?) if we make a vastly better effort at it than this season.

GK. Can see either Stek or Gazza being second fiddle

CB We may need someone, as none of the three youngsters can yet replace Jose. Even if he goes another season, we need to prepare a decent experienced leader to replace him. But just maybe that someone can be VvD in a year or two. He looks seriously committed to us and is gaining all the time in experience. And surely one out of McCarthy, Stephens and Turnbull can step up, again if we are in Europe?

Full backs. Excellent.

DM think we're OK assuming Vic signs up again, think he may well do so. If Vic goes, then Romeu as first choice, and/or attune JWP to that. Clasie may become a critical cog in the machine.

AM not even so sure as some that Sadio will go, especially if he doesn't get back to his previous level. But we need a creative CM, there's a South American bloke called Ramirez at 'Boro. On the wings, we look OK.

CF. no problems unless someone goes. Maybe get Gallagher or Seager in as serious back up or buy someone if we lose Pelle. Think Long will stay.

I think we will sign players to replace once again.

Wanyama out for Vilhenna / Wijnaldum

Mane out for Memphis Depay / NKoudou

Juanmi out for Hesketh

Gaston out for Bernardo Silva

Pelle out for Bas Dost

SKD out for Gazzaniga

Other ins to replace other players:

Bruno Martins Indi (Fonte)

Todd Kane (loan from Chelsea)

Here is our title winning team!

-----------------Forster-----------------------

--------- Indi----Fonte-- Van Dijk------------

-Cedric------------------------------Bertrand-

-------------Clasie----Vilhenna----------------

-------------------Silva------------------------

---N'Koudou-------------------Depay---------

-------------------Austin-----------------------

[emoji38]

We are on a decent run, so its easy to feel content with many or most of the current players at the moment, but its important to assess players over a longer term (i.e. the whole season). How many fans would have pointed to the full backs being `excellent' a few weeks ago as Glassman suggests (three posts above)? There are some tough games ahead. Lets see how we feel in a few weeks time.

I suspect that after two seasons of upheaval the club will do everything it can to ensure Bertrand, Virgil, Wanyama and Mane are retained even if they get offers. If that is done then they can look at making minor squad adjustments. Ramirez, Pelle and Juanmi perhaps going out and Stek signed. Rodriguez would fill Pele's shoes and that would perhaps leave us looking for a flair player. Maybe Juanmi will still be that guy. It depends on how he feels about the chances offered and how RK feels about his long term outlook.

Positions to target:

Backup keeper

Centre half

Right back

Winger

Keeper aside, I don't mind who it is as long as the approach is to buy better than we have got as first choice.

Then obviously spend big on any replacements for enforced sales - potentially Mane and Wanyama.

Agree with this. Perhaps also an attacking central midfielder to compete with Davis.

Would go quality over quantity and also wouldn't hurt to bring in a couple of high potential U21s.

We need to get Bertrand on a long contract. That would be the biggest signing. Pelle will go. I wouldn't rely on JRod coming back, let alone coming back to his previous level.

I'd like us to look to the championship for some players. A lot of teams (including us) have found real quality there.

If Wanyama goes I still think we need to sign a replacement. Although JWP, Classie and Romeu have shown good form lately, they haven't done enough to make me feel comfortable they'll go a whole season playing well.

Get the Ox in to replace Mane.

That'll do.

Juanmi out for Hesketh

Pelle out for Bas Dost

SKD out for Gazzaniga

We might struggle playing 12 against most teams. I'd say it's extremely unlikely we'll get Depay after the wages he will be getting at Utd. Wijnaldum is not a replacement for Wanyama - totally different sort of midfielder.

My thoughts:

Sell: Wanyama, Mané, Juanmi, Pelle.

Buy: Pasalic, Van Ginkel, Kostic, Malli or Ziyech and get Carrillo as a free agent.

Sign Stekelenburg as second keeper, put Gazzaniga out on loan and a talented CB so we can either get rid of Martina or Yoshida.

This would give us a proper team if you ask me.

Juanmi out for Hesketh

Pelle out for Bas Dost

SKD out for Gazzaniga

fairly sure a midfield defensive pairing of clasie and vilhena would be the tiniest partnership in history.

be like fielding a team of borrowers

I think this year there is a lot a potential to raid some of the relegated teams, more so than last year. Swansea have a few handy players if they go down - Sigurdsson would be high on my list whether the go down or not - and I rate Ki; Newcastle have Krul, Janmaat, Wijnaldum; Norwich have Tettey and Redmond; Bournemouth have Ritchie, Arter, Daniels, etc. To be fair though I'd steer clear of the Aston Villa and Sunderland squads.

We need a right back to compete with Cedric, Davis competitor/upgrade, a GK solution (preferably Stekelenberg if he's content with being reserve with Gazza), and replacements for those who jump ship.

I think Forster could be getting big money waved under his nose by Liverpool or Man Utd (if De Gea goes) I think Mane's current form may be putting off a few of the big boys. No idea who we'll sign, I'd like to see some young English players brought in, players that are looking to step up a level in the same way Clyne and Rodriguez were.

For some reason I feel Bertrand is more than happy here,he has been at a big club and got treated like dirt,he clearly is not all about the money but about game time,and without a doubt he would always be one of the first names on my team sheet.

I think Forster could be getting big money waved under his nose by Liverpool or Man Utd (if De Gea goes) I think Mane's current form may be putting off a few of the big boys. No idea who we'll sign' date=' I'd like to see some young English players brought in, players that are looking to step up a level in the same way Clyne and Rodriguez were.[/quote']

Possibly Spurs will want Forster once Lloris inevitably leaves.

I'd love it if we signed Chamberlain back.

he would be perfect for what we need. Goals from midfield, can play wide as well as centrally, English, quick, knows the league and surely has to want to be out of Arsenal in the summer.

Sort of player saints should break the transfer record for....

he would be perfect for what we need. Goals from midfield, can play wide as well as centrally, English, quick, knows the league and surely has to want to be out of Arsenal in the summer.

Agree about the Ox but would his and more importantly his old mans ego allow a move back to us. If anything it wouldn't surprise me if he moved across London to Spurs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Love a good bit of transfer chat. It's funny people have mentioned Depay & Ox. I was thinking about them the other day as being awesome (even if unlikely) signings.

I'd like to think we'd have a good wedge to spend if we lose Vic + Sadio.

It's tricky what positions to pick as we've been playing the 2 systems. So I'd go: Replacements for whoever we lose, an AMC, and a left-sided centre-back for starters.

Have to say Gazza should be elevated to no.2 the times he's played this season he has been very good and made some outstanding saves. He's got a long term deal so the next step is on the bench and as someone else said a run of games in league cup etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't rate him, and would be very nervous if he was between the sticks.

I think the first thing we do in the summer is 1) make sure we tie Koeman down 2) sort out Wanyama sooner rather than later and 3) get the obvious Mane transfer sorted out early doors.

Personally I'd like us to go down the quality over quantity route. Top CB, Top CM and top attacking player. Enhance the spine right through the middle. Maybe a 2nd right back, but keep it simple - but let's not lose anyone other than Mane please.

I think the first thing we do in the summer is 1) make sure we tie Koeman down 2) sort out Wanyama sooner rather than later and 3) get the obvious Mane transfer sorted out early doors.

Personally I'd like us to go down the quality over quantity route. Top CB, Top CM and top attacking player. Enhance the spine right through the middle. Maybe a 2nd right back, but keep it simple - but let's not lose anyone other than Mane please.

Bayern were always rumoured suitors for him. It will be interesting if there was any truth in that if Pep was to bid for him @ Man City.

I always imagined Chelsea would fancy him too as he's always given them a torrid time.

Bayern were always rumoured suitors for him. It will be interesting if there was any truth in that if Pep was to bid for him @ Man City.

I always imagined Chelsea would fancy him too as he's always given them a torrid time.

....looking at all the " Big-name clubs " being bandied around with him....it makes you wonder just where the bidding will stop ?:smug:

I'm with you. He'd sort our right side if we put him back where he did so well for us.

All we can say is we've probably got the best coaching staff to know if a player from Holland can DAJFU.

It does seem like a no-brainer though.

Dude if we sign him me and you will be doing virtual high 5's for ages as we've been his cheerleaders forever.

For me last summer it was clasie and winajdulm this summer its Hakim