Likely end of the Wanyama Era

Saint Charlie

Well Arsenal might want a player who (generally) struggles with pass completion to play in their team that has LOTS of possession, solely for the bits of the game he's really good at (tackling, intercepting, giving away silly fouls, getting sent off, etc), but I personally find it quite unlikely.

He's a very good player (mostly) for a team at our level, particularly against the better teams when we don't have as much possession, but I genuinely don't see him flourishing at the highest level.

I think that you're exaggerating his lack of passing ability and forming an opinion about his level because you don't like him. Fair enough. We won't have long to wait to see where he ends up.

Arsenal need him, they are frail defensively, he would give them strength and spine. But I hope they don't get him, we need him even more. Supporters have under-estimated his value, I haven't seen anyone I would prefer

Arsenal need him, they are frail defensively, he would give them strength and spine. But I hope they don't get him, we need him even more. Supporters have under-estimated his value, I haven't seen anyone I would prefer

Stoke just spent £19m on an inferior, less proven player.

I think that you're exaggerating his lack of passing ability and forming an opinion about his level because you don't like him. Fair enough. We won't have long to wait to see where he ends up.

Personally, I hope we keep all our best players.

I'm not bothered because we'll probably get someone better anyway and finish around 8th next season which would be magnificent.

The media will make sure we don't finish any higher, that's for sure.

I think he will be a huge loss and think he can go to title chasing team. Think this thread is typical Charlie tho so depressing. Wait til it happens. For those who say he's easy to replace tho wake up.

Clasie and Romeo worse than Morgan

Martina and cedric loads worse than Clyne.

I think he will be a huge loss and think he can go to title chasing team. Think this thread is typical Charlie tho so depressing. Wait til it happens. For those who say he's easy to replace tho wake up.

Your comment is far more depressing than any of mine on this thread.

Mine is actually pretty positive saying he has done really well for us.

Play the post not the poster.

But bet you agree with everything I've said.

But bet you agree with everything I've said.

No great loss, just hope we're shot of him quickly if we qualify for Europa. He was a bloody disgrace last year and I still haven't forgiven him for the dummy spitting.

Indeed, Leicester shown how far team spirit can propel you.

I have been often v impressed with Romeu and optimistic he will get even better for us. Would like Wanyama to stay but attitude can be v poor. Also remember his little strop when on bench away to Swansea when he came in and scored.

You could wake up and watch some of his performances this season. Been better of late and fans have short memories.

No great loss, horrendous performances and terrible attitude but is one of the first names on the teamsheets for Koeman week in week out :lol:

Romeu is no replacement for Wanyama, not even close.

Teamsheets come out announcing all 11 players. How do you know who is first?

Teamsheets come out announcing all 11 players. How do you know who is first?

Come on, that's poor. If he's available, he plays and nearly always for the full 90. He's in the same category as Forster, Bertrand, Fonte and VVD. Never dropped.

Wanyama certainly is "a presence " in midfield, but he isn't irreplaceable. Playing well every game isn't the same as putting your name on a 4 year contract

If he wants to go ..it's best he does so now.. whilst we can get a bit of money back to help with buying in a new name.

With Saints planning long term (e.g. VvD 6 year contract,) we'd be better off letting Victor go now, than trying to find a replacement next summer.

We need stability and not having to change out players every season. Fonte is still looking good, but he may not last as long as John Terry has.

There are people on here who are still complaining about losing Alderweireld (who wasn't ours anyway), so we ought to go out and find the " next Wanyama ".

There is no doubt that Wanyama has been playing much better recently. At that level he is a loss, no doubt.

I genuinely don't see how we keep him. He has a year left on his contract. Even if he was our best paid player he could get more elsewhere & he has already shown a desire to leave.

I don't think he is easy to replace on his current form, but his early & mid season (Arsenal aside) I think Romeu can do a job.

It may also be worth showing him last nights game where Morgan was subbed at half time & looks nowhere near the player he was.

There isn't any loyalty in football so wont expect any from Wanyama & IMHO he will leave in the summer.

It will be interesting so see what it costs for a similar replacement - if suddenly every player is going for £20+ million because of the new prem sponsorship deal, keeping him and losing the £10m might not be that bad.

Imbula was £19m for Stoke and I don't think is a better or more proven player than Wanyama.

Romeu and Clasie were cheaper though (although not VW's level) and Kante was of course only £5m.

There is no doubt that Wanyama has been playing much better recently. At that level he is a loss, no doubt.

I genuinely don't see how we keep him. He has a year left on his contract. Even if he was our best paid player he could get more elsewhere & he has already shown a desire to leave.

I don't think he is easy to replace on his current form, but his early & mid season (Arsenal aside) I think Romeu can do a job.

It may also be worth showing him last nights game where Morgan was subbed at half time & looks nowhere near the player he was.

There isn't any loyalty in football so wont expect any from Wanyama & IMHO he will leave in the summer.

You've really got to feel for Morgan. Stayed with us for ages and earned his transfer to one of the biggest clubs in the world and, as you say, looks nowhere near the player he was for us. Wouldn't be surprised if Morgan is used as a make-weight in a transfer deal this summer, especially if LVG stays.

You've really got to feel for Morgan. Stayed with us for ages and earned his transfer to one of the biggest clubs in the world and, as you say, looks nowhere near the player he was for us. Wouldn't be surprised if Morgan is used as a make-weight in a transfer deal this summer, especially if LVG stays.

Talk of him going to Spurs is obviously dependent on The Pox still being there.

IF he goes to Man U, a pairing of Morgan and Big Vic could be on the cards and reignite Morgan's career!!

Or even better Van Fail stays at Man U, we keep Vic and bring Morgan back on a cheeky loan!!

Think that we will be seeing Big Vic in a Saints shirt next season. Assuming that my informed source is correct.

Think Mane will go. Just hope that we can keep Forster

Guan vs kwsaint...

Hmmm. I really really hope you are right though.

Think that we will be seeing Big Vic in a Saints shirt next season. Assuming that my informed source is correct.

Think Mane will go. Just hope that we can keep Forster

Watching the player awards. Virgil and Victor seem to get on well so maybe Virgil signing a new deal might encourage Vic to sign too? (grabs some straws to clutch)

Just watched a video on the Saints twitter feed interviewing the players on an "alternative award - who is the toughest player at Saints?"

Romeu gets voted pretty consistently across the board, with comments about how much he enjoys getting stuck in. Was surprised Wanyama wasn't the consensus.

Edited by mrfahaji

Just watched a video on the Saints twitter feed interviewing the players on an "alternative award - who is the toughest player at Saints?"

Romeu gets voted pretty consistently across the board, with comments about how much he enjoys getting stuck in. Was surprised Wanyama was the consensus.

Not JWP then? ;)

Watching the player awards. Virgil and Victor seem to get on well so maybe Virgil signing a new deal might encourage Vic to sign too? (grabs some straws to clutch)

I think Wanyamas disciplinary record will put off any of the really big boys and the money Prem clubs get now will mean many bigger clubs in Europe just won't be able to compete.

I think Wanyamas disciplinary record will put off any of the really big boys and the money Prem clubs get now will mean many bigger clubs in Europe just won't be able to compete.

Was this season maybe a one off?

In his other two seasons with us he had no red cards and at Celtic he had two in two seasons which is hardly a problem for a physical central midfielder.

Two of his three reds for us were second yellows and the one straight red was widely acknowledged here to be harsh.

I think he's the most likely to go, think we will get another year out of Mane.

Our recruitment record is generally decent and I expect we have been watching potential replacements. I also think whilst Wanyama is good, probably Van Dijk, Forster, Bertrand and Mane are more key players than him. I also don't think he's as good as he thinks he is. Especially when we have Romeu, who is good enough IMO to replace Wanyama if we improved in quality in a few other areas.

Would be lovely though if we could finish above Man Utd and Liverpool, which would be above the majority of our players who have left. Would be quite a 'grass isn't always greener' moment, not that someone like Wanyama would notice it.

Make him run down the last year imo !

quite agree hes already doing alright thank you very much on what we pay him now.............when will agents realise a contract should be binding and not held as a gun to the head of the club to hopefully pay the ransom,we dont need the money because of the financial windfall we have now so if hes not going to sign a new contract then so be it. Romeo is a decent replacement imo. For what its worth al the signings that Arsenal make from us never really turn out to be any better than they possibly were for us when they played and in some instances very rarely played(chambers).

Mourinho has regularly played with a wanyama type player in his teams, eg Essen, makele. If he goes to man Utd would people be happy with a swap to get Morgan S. back ?

Same as poster above.

Yes..but absolutely NO CHANCE of it happening whatsoever.

Unless Van Gaal does a Fergie and kicks a boot at his head.

Come on, that's poor. If he's available, he plays and nearly always for the full 90. He's in the same category as Forster, Bertrand, Fonte and VVD. Never dropped.

Yes. He's one of the foundations the team is built around. Suggestions that he hasn't been a raging success for us our crazy.

Suggestions he may have been a right ***** off the field are probably not that unfair.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11700/10287703/southampton-expect-victor-wanyama-to-be-tempted-away-this-summer-sky-sources

Nothing that isn't expected.

Good option for any team at the type of money will likely be able to get for him. Hard to sign any PL proven players with capability to improve for less than £15m which is probably what he would cost maximum.