Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

it will be easier for Ron to improve Everton next season than it will to improve Saints. Koeman probably losing his bottle and taking the easier, and more lucrative, option.

Disappointing if he goes there. But if he cites ambition as his reasons for going we'll all know he's telling porkies

OK, so Blackmore saying the Koeman's agent says Saints deal wasn't good enough, but no offer from Everton.

This says to me that this is of Koeman's agents doing so Koeman can get the contract and assurances he wants from Saints. This is just negotiations and forcing Saints hand.

Would it be fair to say that this is the tail wagging the dog?

OK, so Blackmore saying the Koeman's agent says Saints deal wasn't good enough, but no offer from Everton.

This says to me that this is of Koeman's agents doing so Koeman can get the contract and assurances he wants from Saints. This is just negotiations and forcing Saints hand.

OR, the agent is having to be careful about admitting talks because Saints haven't given Everton permission to speak with their contracted manager?

Nice to think that this could be yet another summer where we become the laughing stock of the PL. I suppose it's a possible that Les etc have made this an easy decision for RK based on the fact that they're not too fussed about him staying on. I just really liked RK (still will if he turns any offer down from Tranmere 2nd XI)

5th next season and more articles about us going from strength to strength despite losing manager.

Laughing stock - most are jealous that we have good recruitment that others want to poach. You prefer we finish 13th and no one comes in for Koeman?

OR, the agent is having to be careful about admitting talks because Saints haven't given Everton permission to speak with their contracted manager?

Perhaps, although really that doesn't matter anymore. Information comes through third parties in this instance so there doesn't have to be any actual meetings to get the contract offer.

So, to save me from trawling through the 20 pages of undoubted drivel, bed-wetting and abuse that have appeared on this thread since yesterday morning, can anybody offer any further evidence other than yesterday's tweet from the Dutch journo that this is happening?

FWIW, I think the club are in a win-win situation here. They obviously would like him to extend his contract, otherwise they would not have offered it. But if, as seems likely, they don't want him to enter the last year of his contract without committing to the future, then they will already have begun the process of identifying his successor. Then if he decides to accept Everton's offer, they can make it look like they didn't want to let him go and claim a nice windfall in compo from Everton, rather than sack him and replace him, which many people were expecting this summer anyway if he doesn't sign the extension.

We use the compo from Everton as a dangling carrot, alongside the promise of EL football next season, to entice one of our targets to join us; Koeman gets a massive pay rise to go to Everton... Everybody's happy.

I'm certainly not going to lose any sleep if he does decide to jump ship.

nutshell-300x200.jpg

This says to me that this is of Koeman's agents doing so Koeman can get the contract and assurances he wants from Saints. This is just negotiations and forcing Saints hand. I think he wants to stay at Saints, but as he has said all along its all about ambition.

Am I right in saying that until we give Everton permission to speak to Koeman they can't 'make him an offer'. Initial discussions may have taken place between Everton and Agent of which they would out line what they would offer ect...

His Agent is not going to admit that an offer is on the table / been agreed before we have given them permission to do so.

IMO we survived when we had to replace a better manager in Pochettino and we will do again when we replace Koeman.

My guess is that, although the money will be a big attraction, the key factor in Ron's mind will be where he can most enhance his reputation to encourage the really big move. If he takes on Everton and turns them round (and he'd have all the cash he needs to do that) the sky will be the limit. There's plenty of room for improvement there, but a problem could be lack of patience for instant big success, and failure could dent his CV. Perversely, the potential for improvement at Saints is less. We're already EL and can't improve by many league places next season. If he stays, he has to at least get EL again and preferably CL to cement his reputation. A season where the EL pressure sees a drop in league form would hurt his chances.

I think there's still a chance he'll stay, but it's now slim. If he does go, we move on, without blaming the club. We employ ambitious managers. They will always put their career prospects first, it happens.

Why would he risk going to Everton and not doing what he's already done with Saints? Making them a success gives him a small increment of additional kudos (especially small given the rumoured money being thrown at it), whilst not making them a success undoes everything he's done here. If he does the one year I fully expected him to, new contract or not at Saints, even if we slide back down into midtable he'll still be the bloke who took us to the Europa League group stages when it comes to his next move. It would be like when Adkins went to Reading rather than waiting for a more concrete offer at an established Prem side - putting themselves in a position of having to match recent success just to stand still.

He's already in a position to get whatever move he wants, Barcelona couldn't give a toss if he's a success at Everton or not, his reputation there is from his playing ability (and tainted by failure at Valencia irrespective of anything in England).

So basically, if he does go to Everton, it's not a "career move", it's purely for the money. Somewhere already in Champions League in a top 4 nation would be a career move at this point.

I still remain convinced that his planning is all for the summer of 2017 and anything Saints negotiate now will be tacitly agreed to be improved terms for next season only to allow the club to line up a replacement more formally.

AVB would be a stellar appointment. People say he failed here, but he got 72 points in his only full season at Spurs, 2 more than this season!

You mean the Bale XI who repeatedly bailed AVB out. They were dour that season.

Why would he risk going to Everton and not doing what he's already done with Saints? Making them a success gives him a small increment of additional kudos (especially small given the rumoured money being thrown at it), whilst not making them a success undoes everything he's done here. If he does the one year I fully expected him to, new contract or not at Saints, even if we slide back down into midtable he'll still be the bloke who took us to the Europa League group stages when it comes to his next move. It would be like when Adkins went to Reading rather than waiting for a more concrete offer at an established Prem side - putting themselves in a position of having to match recent success just to stand still.

He's already in a position to get whatever move he wants, Barcelona couldn't give a toss if he's a success at Everton or not, his reputation there is from his playing ability (and tainted by failure at Valencia irrespective of anything in England).

So basically, if he does go to Everton, it's not a "career move", it's purely for the money. Somewhere already in Champions League in a top 4 nation would be a career move at this point.

I still remain convinced that his planning is all for the summer of 2017 and anything Saints negotiate now will be tacitly agreed to be improved terms for next season only to allow the club to line up a replacement more formally.

#dreamland.

Koeman has strengths and weaknesses just like most other managers. He is not the sole reason for success at Southampton and can be replaced by an equally capable candidate.

St. Mary’s Stadium represents the footballing version of a World War II bunker: capable of weathering the fiercest of storms and attacks. This isn’t the first time the sirens have sounded, and the staff know exactly how to handle it.

1374945961hit-the-nail-on-the-head-jpg.jpg

Does anybody remember when a few ITK posters on here leaked that Les Reed wasn't happy with Koeman as he wasn't following his instructions to put more of the Academy players in the first team shop window? I guess it wasn't that tough a decision for Les to give Everton permission to speak to Ron then.

No they weren't.

I share an office with two Spurs fans. They haven't got a good word to say about AVB. Although, to be fair, they were constantly slagging off Pochettino during his first season there too, so possibly wise to take their comments about AVB with the usual pinch of fickle football fandom salt :)

Edited by trousers

Not sure I would want him back.

It's like your Mrs goes out with another bloke because she thinks he's better than you, goes to his house and does everything apart from ****. Not sure I would take her back after that.

Or... back in the real world...

Everton have thrown money at Koeman to take him off us, enough to put him in the top 10 paid managers in the world.

After believing it was enough, thinking they've got him and bragging to the rafters, if it turns out it wasn't, if he turns them down and even that much money wasn't enough...

You're saying you wouldn't want that? :lol:

It may well be that that much money is enough, looks likely even. I know that if I was offered more than double my wage elsewhere I'd at least attend an interview.

But like I said before, Esk over there is ITK from Everton's side, he doesn't know Koeman's intentions, and the interview was with Koeman's agent.

May well be that they've agreed terms that Koeman's agent is happy to take to Koeman, but it's not done and dusted yet, and he's also still talking to us.

We also know that Koeman is very happy here, would have Europa league football here next season, and would have lower expectations here with a better team.

Also we know Koeman tends to be honourable about his contracts, money really isn't everything.

Koeman may well go, but he's not gone just yet.

So, should Saints match the offer or get close to it ?

We probably can't. Its not just the offer. It what it is indicative of. It suggest Everton's new guy Moshiri is willing to spend big money and spend it quickly to improve their team.

That combined with the salary would be very attractive and seeing as ambition = money in the PL it is a big show of ambition which is what Koeman called for us to show to keep him.

LOL. If you really were offered a pay rise of that scale would you think twice about rejecting it? Its an obscene amount.

If i was on 2.5 million....i could manage and my job satisfaction would be of most importance..

Obviously if i was offered that type of percentage pay rise on my current rate i would obviously consider

Don't think they have been ITK For a long while to be honest they seem to come on here stir and **** off for weeks

All their ITK-ness is in the area of player transfers, there's a big difference between that and manager negotiations.

Does anybody remember when a few ITK posters on here leaked that Les Reed wasn't happy with Koeman as he wasn't following his instructions to put more of the Academy players in the first team shop window? I guess it wasn't that tough a decision for Les to give Everton permission to speak to Ron then.

Hard to remember something that didn't happen.

Guan did post that during our mid season 'slump' the board presented Koeman with a list of things they were unhappy about. There were no 'ITK' facts presented about what was on that list. So any 'memories' you have of it being about young players and shop windows have come from your own self.

Based on your final sentance.....can you confirm where you got the news about Les giving Everton permission to speak to Ronald?

Pretty surprised at some of the posters on here having a meltdown over a man that dares to question the offer on the table from saints.

For a start there is no concrete evidence that he is talking to Everton yet, only that Everton are using the press to force an agenda through.

I honestly wouldnt wish him any ill will if he moves on, similar to that of Poch, in fact Id wish him all the best. He is a man looking to improve his career and his bank balance, like any of us would. And the simple matter of fact is that if Saints cant offer him what all in all would be the best offer (salary and ambition) then why wouldnt he jump ship ?

A failure to keep Koeman is as much Saints doings as it will be Everton's prying IMO. I just dont think personally, after Poch, we can afford to lose another outstanding coach. Its only a matter of time that we make a wrong appointment.

LOL. If you really were offered a pay rise of that scale would you think twice about rejecting it? Its an obscene amount.

He's already loaded beyond the point to which it'll make any difference, it really might not be important to him.

It's a stupid career move at this moment - he'd have to recreate success to stay at this level, when he's already proven he can do that with Saints. It doesn't move him any nearer the jobs he obviously wants (Barcelona, and Netherlands when it suits him, at an outside bet another top 4 nation CL club) and he'd be tying himself to a long deal when the flexibility to go for one of those posts if they come up is currently available to him.

Everton offers him nothing but money.

Pretty surprised at some of the posters on here having a meltdown over a man that dares to question the offer on the table from saints.

For a start there is no concrete evidence that he is talking to Everton yet, only that Everton are using the press to force an agenda through.

I honestly wouldnt wish him any ill will if he moves on, similar to that of Poch, in fact Id wish him all the best. He is a man looking to improve his career and his bank balance, like any of us would. And the simple matter of fact is that if Saints cant offer him what all in all would be the best offer (salary and ambition) then why wouldnt he jump ship ?

A failure to keep Koeman is as much Saints doings as it will be Everton's prying IMO. I just dont think personally, after Poch, we can afford to lose another outstanding coach. Its only a matter of time that we make a wrong appointment.

You will be the one accused of a meltdown! Wrongly, of course.

I share an office with two Spurs fans. They haven't got a good word to say about AVB. Although, to be fair, they were constantly slagging off Pochettino during his first season there too, so possibly wise to take their comments about AVB with the usual pinch of fickle football fandom salt :)

Mate who's a Spurs fan:

I still have a lot of time for AVB, and up until this season, had the best win rate and highest points haul in the history of club! Been very unfairly dealt with by two clubs IMO and appears to be seen as a bit useless, but yeah, I think he could be great for you!

Whatever happens, as fans, let's not forget we're about to embark on one of our most exciting seasons in recent memory. Potential trips all over Europe to places like Italy, Spain, Russia in the offing. If it's Ronald or someone else, the manager has a great club to work with. There's no reason to be despondent about the future whatever happens.

Whatever happens, as fans, let's not forget we're about to embark on one of our most exciting seasons in recent memory. Potential trips all over Europe to places like Italy, Spain, Russia in the offing. If it's Ronald or someone else, the manager has a great club to work with. There's no reason to be despondent about the future whatever happens.

my thoughts too. no one is bigger than the club.