Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

This...

The money stakes have gone up significantly this year and we need to recognise this sooner or later. We're not going to be getting anyone decent in that cheaply as everyone knows how much money is swilling around so we will end up paying top dollar one way or the other. There is no way we will maintain 6th or go higher without buying in the necessary talent, so if the club isn't willing then Ron's decision is an easy one - Everton must have a plan that allows him to build a squad that can mount a sustained challenge which is what any ambitious and talented manager would want. Constant change isn't a good thing in any organisation and seems as though we're banking on a 3rd successive "surprise" season following a busy summer of ins/outs.

Like, by signing our best player last season to a new deal a whole year into his contract? :facepalm:

There is going to be a TON of wage-related posturing and stand-offs this summer as everyone's agent tries to get their client a slice of the tv pie. We just need to identify our priorities and pin them down early, then see what happens with the rest of them during the summer.

I've already said I can see lots of players making weird sideways moves for more money because their current deals aren't feeding their egos and new signings are much better off, should have realised that could apply to successful managers too.

6 years at Barcelona as a player would have been good money in the late 80s/early 90s (Lineker, Hughes, Archibald, Venables etc all went there in the 80s, I suspect not just for the weather) but he'd have missed the later boom. However, he's been managing or assistant managing at big-name European clubs (plus Vitesse, AZ and Saints) for 17 years with only maybe 2 years out. He's going to be very comfortable indeed, independent of any discussion of the success of his investments, property he could pay for outright, etc.
How much of this money has he spent? What has he currently got in his savings account?

Jeremy Wilson has broken cover.

Saints have an offer on the table to Koeman and have had no approach from Everton yet.

If he talks to Everton they won't get drawn into a bidding war, they'll seek compensation and move on.

Our leading candidate is Eddie Howe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/03/southampton-manager-ronald-koeman-to-hold-talks-with-everton-abo/

Think you've spun that bit about Howe. Phrasing in article makes that look more like the opinion of Jeremy Wilson rather than something he has been told.

Because of RK stays all these potential tidbits will be shown up as the ******** they likely are? Is my guess.

I don't think a manager signing a contract at a club gives much indication of how players feel about him. Ask Juan Mata.

Think you've spun that bit about Howe. Phrasing in article makes that look more like the opinion of Jeremy Wilson rather than something he has been told.

I would suggest, based on previous articles, that Wilson's opinions about Saints are pretty well-informed. Certainly wouldn't be complaining if we moved for him.

How much of this money has he spent? What has he currently got in his savings account?

I'll just have a look. ;)

My point is based on the balance of probability based on years working in a number of well-paid roles, rather than the specifics only his accountant knows. Even the blah blah around the Everton offer says we've chucked him £2.5m in the past couple of years.

Does anyone have to be blamed?

Yes, Everton! If we get Howe in or someone else who does really good in Europe, the cups, the league, in player retention and recruitment though they will be praised for paying us for the privilege of doing so!

We threw 16m plus wages away on Osvaldo surely 7m on Koeman if he signs a two year extension minus the compensation we would get when he leaves next year is a good deal for all involved

Good point. Would be a bit of a false economy losing a good manager for the sake of a few million. Might as well match whatever Everton can offer and if he still wants to go then so be it.

Saints have an offer on the table to Koeman and have had no approach from Everton yet.

If he talks to Everton they won't get drawn into a bidding war, they'll seek compensation and move on.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/03/southampton-manager-ronald-koeman-to-hold-talks-with-everton-abo/

So still nothing new then

So in short, no formal approach received (although imagine deal done between Everton and agent) but we aren't that bothered if he wants to go.

Either we have someone lined up to step in, or we have a very cavalier attitude towards this whole situation.

Would be pretty underwhelmed by Howe to be honest.

Fair enough but please tell me we are looking for better than Eddie Howe....

I would've thought Eddie Howe is very well-suited and should be considered.

Young English coach, plays attacking football, track record of improving his team and developing individual players. Already local to us, as well.

Whether he'd leave AFCB is a different question. He's got a lot of freedom there and financial backing too.

I'd have him on the shortlist - definitely.

Why on earth would SFC give consent for him to talk to Everton or any other club?? Bolox all of it, come on guys and girls get real please!

They would if the club aren't that worried about him staying. Truth is if Koeman goes to Everton this summer it means the club aren't to bothered about him staying.

Hello LG sir.... is there any reason why you can't elaborate on any of these ITK 'teasers' now? Appreciate the insights but its difficult to reflect on what you're saying if there's little or no context to go on. Cheers :)

I'd like to know but I suspect we wont find out from LG either way.

So some bloke called Dazza reckons it's already a done deal. Who is he exactly?

Some were saying that yesterday. Could be true, between agent and Everton, but I'd bet on hardball on compensation.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

If he goes he goes,would love to see some stability at our club with players/managers but I think for the foreseeable future we are a stepping stone for them.

What I do know is that we are a club on the up and whoever we get in will be a winner with a decent European pedigree,it may put us back a year it may push us to break top 4 but we will still be the same team that we have all supported all our lives and thats good enough for me.

I've never said that we're terribly run, the opposite in fact. I do think that the club and fan base get a bit carried away with our own hype at times despite some of the obvious contradictions between statement and action.

I never said that 6th was just "par of the course" either, the point was that we've been 8th-6th for the past 3 seasons with players worth 20+M trotting out onto the pitch each week. The total sum of how we arrived at this point is complex but if we want to consolidate our place in the league or even do better (as per Uncle Les) then we have to see ourselves as being where we deserve to be. Otherwise it's just an acceptance of and excuse for doing worse. I see keeping good managers and players at the club as being a key component in sustaining success in the long term and don't completely buy into a model which suggests that we really are experts in managing change whilst keeping momentum. Not over a sample period of two years at this level.

I wouldn't suggest that there has been a decline since Cortese left. He's gone and irrelevant now. If others do, that's up to them.

I wasn't talking about you specifically, I was making general points about the forum, in reply to a post from you making general points about the forum.

Except the "we're not punching above our weight" bit which you did say yesterday and was fascinating. And also nice to see you use a variation of a line I used multiple times in various debates about net spend - we've got players costing around £10m in every single department all over the pitch from in goal to up front, including the bench most weeks. That's requisite ambition. I am glad you agree.

Young English coach, plays attacking football, track record of improving his team and developing individual players. Already local to us, as well.

Whether he'd leave AFCB is a different question. He's got a lot of freedom there and financial backing too.

I would argue that should tragedy strike and Koeman leaves, we should not be looking for an up and coming manager but one who has already been lured to a top club and failed. They will then be determined to make it work and will be less likely to leave when they succeed.

They would if the club aren't that worried about him staying. Truth is if Koeman goes to Everton this summer it means the club aren't to bothered about him staying.

or they know he wont sign an extension so will be gone this time next year anyway.

Being in Europe we are an even more attractive proposition for prospective managers.

I dont buy this no ambition b/s - Forster and Virgil both spoke of it when signing long term deals and RK spoke of it too saying what the club want to achieve, the next level, would be difficult !

too difficult for him maybe ? who knows!

I think its outrageous that with the BT money this year, that we are being bullied by cash.

No one can tell me that an everton switch is not a sideways step. it is. So it isn't for the glory. It has to be money, or is that obvious?

my point is how are we being bullied like this. Surely we are able to offer, 6m a year to Ron for a 2 year extension?? I mean id we paid 12m on ramirez?

i don't get it. We are a club owned by a rich swiss organisation are we not? How are everton beating us for cash???

Why on earth would SFC give consent for him to talk to Everton or any other club?

Maybe (just maybe), if the supposed 'tensions' between Koeman and the board, that the likes of Guan and K.Billy have alluded to, are genuine, then Les & co might see this as a window of opportunity to help engineer the replacement of Koeman with someone who is more aligned to their longer term planning and philosophy.

All guesswork I know, but I think that hypothesis is a valid deduction from reading between the various lines on here.

I would suggest, based on previous articles, that Wilson's opinions about Saints are pretty well-informed. Certainly wouldn't be complaining if we moved for him.

I would - we go from RK - internationally recognised to EH just about recognised in the PL? How do we even get a foot in the door to sign the type of player we need to sign?

Massive no to Howe.

Top 6 PL and group stage Europa,we should be looking a lot further than Bournemouth for a manager. surely with what we can offer and the infrastructure we have we are looking at some of Europes top boys?

I would argue that should tragedy strike and Koeman leaves, we should not be looking for an up and coming manager but one who has already been lured to a top club and failed. They will then be determined to make it work and will be less likely to leave when they succeed.

Moyes would be the ideal candidate. One of the only managers seemingly these days that will show loyalty and be in for the long haul too. Come on Les sell the club go him and see what he can achieve over the next 10+ years

I would - we go from RK - internationally recognised to EH just about recognised in the PL? How do we even get a foot in the door to sign the type of player we need to sign?

Agreed. Ron's player persona was his draw and influence that the players bought into initially.

I wouldn't worry about that - his own signings aren't even happy with him. More to this than what has been let on.

All this stuff sounds quite interesting, but the fact remains that the manager got that team to sixth. If half of them hate him that's not necessarily a problem. I'd be more worried if all the players loved the manager all the time.

Would hope we are setting our sights a bit higher tbh....

The only thing irritating me more than the Koeman saga is seeing people on Twitter saying Giggs to Saints would be a good appointment. On what grounds!?!? Why does everyone assume this bloke is ready to be a Premier League manager just because he was a good player!? And how condescending that most think his route into football management should be with us. **** off.

The only thing irritating me more than the Koeman saga is seeing people on Twitter saying Giggs to Saints would be a good appointment. On what grounds!?!? Why does everyone assume this bloke is ready to be a Premier League manager just because he was a good player!? And how condescending that most think his route into football management should be with us. **** off.

Nutters. Given a choice between two ex Utd players I'd have Gary Neville way, way up the list over Giggs.

I will be a fully signed up meltdowner if we appoint Giggs. Luckily we won't and some idiot club like QPR or Blackburn can do that instead. If he turns out to be the next Pep, fine, but he can do it somewhere else.

What worries me, is that we cant keep getting lucky with on and off the field appointments. Its dangerous to assume that as soon as someone leaves, we will replace them with someone better. We've got lucky so far with (most of our) player and manager appointments, but how many teams continue like that year after year after year.

#wemarchon is a bit of a rose tinted spectacle IMHO.

I would be seriously underwhelmed with Howe.

What worries me, is that we cant keep getting lucky with on and off the field appointments. Its dangerous to assume that as soon as someone leaves, we will replace them with someone better. We've got lucky so far with (most of our) player and manager appointments, but how many teams continue like that year after year after year.

Stop assuming it is luck. It is clearly not.

Why are you so sure it is luck? Its not like we just borrow "Merlin" from the National Lottery draw to determine who we sign (on and off the pitch).

Stop assuming it is luck. It is clearly not.

It has to be luck though: what else can it be when we are run like a cheap B&B?

An ice hockey-playing chairman, a disinterested owner, a weak FD and a failed Charlton manager. Sleepwalking into relagation we are. No doubt about that.

#themeltdownishappening