Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

Jeremy Wilson has broken cover.

Saints have an offer on the table to Koeman and have had no approach from Everton yet.

If he talks to Everton they won't get drawn into a bidding war, they'll seek compensation and move on.

Our leading candidate is Eddie Howe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/03/southampton-manager-ronald-koeman-to-hold-talks-with-everton-abo/

To be honest, Eddie Howe is the perfect fit and i think he would jump at the job this time. When he was offered the job by Cortese i think Howe knew there would be difficulties working with him. This time though i think he'd take it. He wouldn't have to uproot his family either.

I think its outrageous that with the BT money this year, that we are being bullied by cash.

No one can tell me that an everton switch is not a sideways step. it is. So it isn't for the glory. It has to be money, or is that obvious?

my point is how are we being bullied like this. Surely we are able to offer, 6m a year to Ron for a 2 year extension?? I mean id we paid 12m on ramirez?

i don't get it. We are a club owned by a rich swiss organisation are we not? How are everton beating us for cash???

Once you start doubling or tripling the managers wage you cause problems with other staff wages. It's why we let that physio go to Spurs (though there is more room for play with a manager). The other problem is once we go from £2 mill to £6 or £7 mill you can't go back. What happens when Koeman does go which he said he will eventually. We get Howe in for £7 mill? Would Pellegrini come next year and accept less money than Koeman? Would any top manager?

Not sure why people are so down on Howe. Not Koeman stature but a good Manager. Would far prefer him to AVB or Moyes. He comes across very well, is young, ambitious and plays good football.

Not sure he would ruin his legacy at Bournemouth to join us though.

Aside from unknowns (who hopefully Saints know) there aren't many obviously quality candidates out there. Especially when replacing such a good Manager.

I would rather have Van Gaal than either of those

No thank you. And no to Giggs too (obviously) and no to G Neville until he's had another go somewhere and worked out the difference between punditry and management.

Undecided on Howe. Could be good but a mega-problem would be attracting players.

Hopefully the black box has another Pochettino or Koeman.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

It has to be luck though: what else can it be when we are run like a cheap B&B?

An ice hockey-playing chairman, a disinterested owner, a weak FD and a failed Charlton manager. Sleepwalking into relagation we are. No doubt about that.

#themeltdownishappening

2/10

What worries me, is that we cant keep getting lucky with on and off the field appointments. Its dangerous to assume that as soon as someone leaves, we will replace them with someone better. We've got lucky so far with (most of our) player and manager appointments, but how many teams continue like that year after year after year.

#wemarchon is a bit of a rose tinted spectacle IMHO.

Absolute codswallop, it's not getting "lucky" it's the result of meticulous planning and if you can't see that I'm afraid to say you aren't very bright or just completely naive

Why are you so sure it is luck? Its not like we just borrow "Merlin" from the National Lottery draw to determine who we sign (on and off the pitch).

So, we've suddenly invented some amazing recruitment process that no other club has manged to achieve either before or since?

We should request removal of our qualification for Europa. Really, it's for the best.

There's no way we can deal with the extra games and get the 12-18 points we'll need to avoid being bottom at Christmas.

If koeman is gone I'd have Gary Neville. The man has won almost as much as Koeman, had a fantastic career and clearly has the tactical nonce to do the job.

I still don't believe Koeman has gone, and if he has then it is either down purely to ridiculous money (in which case I don't blame him or the club), or it is down to tensions behind the scenes (not very hard to imagine given the snippets that leaked out this season).

Either way, saints will be great next season. Stop wetting yourselves folks.

And for god's sakes, the muppets that are just insulting and abusing each other on this thread are utter numpties.

So, we've suddenly invented some amazing recruitment process that no other club has manged to achieve either before or since?

Developed, not suddenly invented. And I would hazard very few clubs had anything like it before us and now others are working to emulate us.

Some, probably including Everton, are light-years behind, throwing money at established players irrespective of how they fit in or what potential they have for improvement.

Edited by Shroppie

I know it is not a done deal yet but this is surely evidence that you cannot trust a single comment, statement or soundbite that any one makes in relation to football: Foeman's I will honour my contract and Les's hopefully talks are a load of ****

Absolute codswallop, it's not getting "lucky" it's the result of meticulous planning and if you can't see that I'm afraid to say you aren't very bright or just completely naive

......along with some luck. If you think good preparation and research eliminates all risk you are naive. The more often you keep losing good managers the greater the chance you will recruit a dud to replace them.

......along with some luck. If you think good preparation and research eliminates all risk you are naive. The more often you keep losing good managers the greater the chance you will recruit a dud to replace them.

Exactly. Some of the more dopey on here genuinely seem to believe in footballing alchemy. Failure is par for the course. Good clubs just fail less frequently.

Edited by shurlock

If koeman is gone I'd have Gary Neville. The man has won almost as much as Koeman, had a fantastic career and clearly has the tactical nonce to do the job.

I still don't believe Koeman has gone, and if he has then it is either down purely to ridiculous money (in which case I don't blame him or the club), or it is down to tensions behind the scenes (not very hard to imagine given the snippets that leaked out this season).

And for god's sakes, the muppets that are just insulting and abusing each other on this thread are utter numpties.

Interesting idea. Neville would be available, he IS young (and hungry lol), He does have current player credibility though none as a manager, is probably way cheaper than the Seville guy or De Boer BUT does know the EPL and, I'd imagine bite your hand off for the chance to show what he can do. HE would be a media darling to as SKY love him so thats good for Saints PR....Hmmm, if RK does go I'd not saying NO to meeting Neville myself and seeing if he has got the guts for the job - hes got the brains.....but probably he would need an experienced Les to do a bit more for him that is needed for RK..

Gary Neville's attempt at the Valencia job suggests he perhaps needs to learn the ropes in the Championship or something before having another go in a top league.

Howe would be a good fit IMO, though I suspect that convincing him to break his contract or convincing Bournemouth to let him go could be difficult and take ages.

Flores might be ok, but Watford's drop in form in the second half of the season suggests he might be a bit of a risk.

De Boer? Done well in Holland, appears that he wants a job in England, but untested outside Holland.

Sampaoli? Could be brilliant but I'm not sure we are big enough to tempt him away from international management.

Mirror:

It's simply too big a step from Southampton directly to Barcelona or Arsenal but the mega-money revolution in the works at Goodison would close that gap

So are we too small time for a manager to go from us to Arsenal or are they saying that it's harder to buy players with lots of money than it is to buy players on a reasonably tight budget? If the Mirror is suggesting he can't go from Saints to Arsenal/Barca until they see how good he is at spending 150+ million then they're crazy. If the Mirror is suggesting that Everton is a step between us and Arsenal then f*ck them.

Well no neither do I. Just amused that Le Goddard's supposed insider knowledge will only be shared if RK goes.

I don't think he said anything that hasn't been shared on the forum already by actual ITKs - other than it being slightly out of context, seeing as most of it was re-shared a couple of pages back and came from the immediate aftermath of our run of rubbish results around Xmas.

Gary Neville's attempt at the Valencia job suggests he perhaps needs to learn the ropes in the Championship or something before having another go in a top league.

Howe would be a good fit IMO, though I suspect that convincing him to break his contract or convincing Bournemouth to let him go could be difficult and take ages.

Flores might be ok, but Watford's drop in form in the second half of the season suggests he might be a bit of a risk.

De Boer? Done well in Holland, appears that he wants a job in England, but untested outside Holland.

Sampaoli? Could be brilliant but I'm not sure we are big enough to tempt him away from international management.

Sampaoli left Chile in January or February I believe

Never said it eliminates all risk did I? Just said it's not luck that we've replaced the last 2 managers and 7 first team players very very well. By all accounts we're the best in the league at it, so far.

So much for Koeman being a man of integrity and all that

A massive **** like the rest that we held him higher than

IF he leaves for everton, them this! I'll have zero respect for him based on very public statements by him.

I wouldn't be disappointed with Howe. I do trust club to know what it is doing although take point that he might not be the draw to signings we would like but then who is?

If the club is categorically not going to be drawn into an inflationary bidding war with Everton and also not with prospective managers who will expect sky-high wages, then Eddie Howe would be a very good option.

The fact is that at this time SFC's reputation is at a big high and top applicants would expect the very best wages that are consistent with a top six Premier League club in the group stages of the Europa League. If the club are looking to attract a manager on wages less than Koeman is already on, then Howe would be an excellent man to interview. There must also be other promising young managers out there to bring to the interview room to add competition for the post who have an excellent track record who want to move upwards.

Howe is a man who is respected by players, has excellent man-magement skills, has very good Premier League experience, and has inspired a good Bournemouth side into a force greater than it's parts that, also like Saints, has performed above expectations.

Regarding whether he would be able to draw top players to Saints, we have to realise that in these inflationary times we are always going to lose out to the bigger clubs (and Everton under Koeman) so we had better get used to the fact that we are going to have to rebuild our squad yet again within our means, which means signing promising (rather than established players) like Tadic was when we signed him for example. That is the bottom line. And Howe has not been a bad judge of footballing talent so far.

What's not to like?

Edited by eelpie
sp

So much for Koeman being a man of integrity and all that

A massive **** like the rest that we held him higher than

Or we've played a great hand to get rid of him making sure the blame is all on him disguising our true intentions to get rid of him as alluded to before. Les was hardly gushing of Ronald come end of the season and was very supportive of the work Poch had done whilst here. I'd suggest that this might turn out better than expected for Les and co.