Ron Koeman

Saint Fan CaM

I'll be a lot less bothered about Ronald going as I was about Poch going.

We have a lot going for us at the moment, and the club is in its strongest place its ever been. We're hugely attractive and will have a lot of managers wanting to come in.

As much as I think Les Reed has completely embarrassed himself for the third year in a row by saying "negotiations are going well" only for shortly after that not to be the case, he has got all the replacements spot on.

We'll still have a club next season with or without Ronald.

We probably can't. Its not just the offer. It what it is indicative of. It suggest Everton's new guy Moshiri is willing to spend big money and spend it quickly to improve their team.

That combined with the salary would be very attractive and seeing as ambition = money in the PL it is a big show of ambition which is what Koeman called for us to show to keep him.

We have £100m of new money coming in on top of all of our existing outgoings. We absolutely, definitely can afford to pay Koeman £7m a year. If we want to. I heavily suspect we don't want to, as it sets a precedent we will not want to set. Same story with player contracts - we can afford Messi's wages now, but then all that happens is that every player after that wants something near what Messi's getting - we can afford selective high wages, but not consistently across the board.

Also, FFP will prevent the Everton owner channelling a pile of cash in even if he wants to - all the TV money is covered as legit income so clubs can spend it, but everyone has that now. Anything over and above that will still hit against the same FFP rules.

Whatever happens, as fans, let's not forget we're about to embark on one of our most exciting seasons in recent memory. Potential trips all over Europe to places like Italy, Spain, Russia in the offing. If it's Ronald or someone else, the manager has a great club to work with. There's no reason to be despondent about the future whatever happens.

Very much this..good post

He's already loaded beyond the point to which it'll make any difference, it really might not be important to him.

This is often said but I don't think its true, certainly not in football.

End of the day, it would be a hell of a payrise and one that would be very hard to resist for anyone.

As said before it also indictes their investor is serious about spending.

Unfortunately this is the way football is going. With all the money available in the prem, wages for managers and players are only going to increase. The fact that Everton are willing to pay £7million to a manager per year and £150 mill+ in transfers to get into the top 5 or 6 shows that we might really struggle to stay in Europe next year. Looking at the "big boys", Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool can probably out spend us year on year. Now that doesn't mean they will finish above us, it just means they have a massive head start. It also means they can poach whoever they want. Now if any of the other prem teams are willing to play the money no object game because their owner is a **** then there's nothing we can do. Once you sit down at that table you don't leave it and Kat rightly so won't ante up.

I really want Koeman to stay. I think we are only one or two signings from really having a go at a Champions League spot with a possible run in the Europa this year. We have momentum, we have a squad playing well together, we have a manager who knows the squad and we have a nice pre season for once where we aren't trying to find managers/players or playing in pre qualifiers.

If Koeman goes because he wants to (and I mean not because Les has told him they don't want him unless he signs an extension) then is Koeman really dishonest and a defector? He said he'd stay but can he really turn down that money? Maybe he's thinking of his family? His wife or Erwin maybe. Lambert said he wanted to finish his career here and I believed him. An offer came along he never expected to see and he couldn't say no. Maybe that's what happened to Ron :uhoh:

Mate who's a Spurs fan:

I still have a lot of time for AVB, and up until this season, had the best win rate and highest points haul in the history of club! Been very unfairly dealt with by two clubs IMO and appears to be seen as a bit useless, but yeah, I think he could be great for you!

Like I say, take any opinions from football fans with pinch of salt (on either side of any debate) :)

He's already loaded beyond the point to which it'll make any difference, it really might not be important to him.

It's a stupid career move at this moment - he'd have to recreate success to stay at this level, when he's already proven he can do that with Saints. It doesn't move him any nearer the jobs he obviously wants (Barcelona, and Netherlands when it suits him, at an outside bet another top 4 nation CL club) and he'd be tying himself to a long deal when the flexibility to go for one of those posts if they come up is currently available to him.

Everton offers him nothing but money.

Where are people getting the idea that he's already rich enough that money doesn't mean anything to him? I'm sure he's got a couple of million in the bank, which makes him approximately as wealthy has half the right-to-buy lottery winners who acquired houses in zones 1&2 during the late 80s... There's a long way to go between there and genuine f*** you money.

It's a stupid career move at this moment - he'd have to recreate success to stay at this level, when he's already proven he can do that with Saints. It doesn't move him any nearer the jobs he obviously wants (Barcelona, and Netherlands when it suits him, at an outside bet another top 4 nation CL club) and he'd be tying himself to a long deal when the flexibility to go for one of those posts if they come up is currently available to him.

Everton offers him nothing but money.

In a nutshell, this is what it is if any of these still unsubstantiated rumours are anywhere near correct ...

RK has a huge affection for Saints of that I have no doubt, but it is clear he does want a crack at the Barcelona job and/or Holland, Arsenal or maybe one or two others... Everton are nowhere near his list of career moves and to be honest I think it is the ambition what motivates RonKo most, not necessarily the money..

An average season at an average Everton side is not necessarily going to rush Barca towards his door should their top job come up is it.

Whatever happens, as fans, let's not forget we're about to embark on one of our most exciting seasons in recent memory. Potential trips all over Europe to places like Italy, Spain, Russia in the offing. If it's Ronald or someone else, the manager has a great club to work with. There's no reason to be despondent about the future whatever happens.

Not sure anyone really would be despondent about the future. It's just strange that on SWF, posters can't show any disappointment in losing good managers, players or staff (perfectly normal reaction for any supporter) nor can there be any suggestion that SFC is anything but perfect without it being labelled a "meltdown" or whatever. The reality is that change (especially enforced) in quick succession is risky and even the club have said that they intend to have a different summer than the previous two which clearly doesn't involve having our manager poached by a team which shouldn't even be bothering us.

'Flame suit on' .. im not overly worried if he goes for me the biggest hurdle is to replace him with someone of good respect on european/world football which is a massive help when attracting better players, for me in an ideal world Emery then he can persuade gameiro to replace pele, krychowiac for the hole left by morgan and there right back cant think of his name at mo,

Evertons new owner is an idiot. Boasting about how much money they have to spend before doing a single transfer or sale. Throwing obscene money at a manager who has publicly expressed his desire to manage the Holland national team in the near future. Talk about pressure and weight of expectation on Koeman. When he came here all he had to do was not get relegated after all the summer sales and the turmoil, at Everton he has to make all those big name signings firstly come to the club and then actually perform for them. The skill at saints is we recruit 20-30M rated players for half that price before they are recognised, Everton will be trying to buy the already known players at the higher price and it wont go far at all.

This is often said but I don't think its true, certainly not in football.

End of the day, it would be a hell of a payrise and one that would be very hard to resist for anyone.

As said before it also indictes their investor is serious about spending.

Yep. Its not just about the salary. Everton are like Spurs. They are not in the top echelon but they have a better chance of breaking into it than us. Martinez badly managed a decent squad. In the short-term, it's a sideways move and it could easily go wrong, so that should sow some doubt in Koeman's mind and give us a fighting chance of keeping him; but the upside is certainly there. The rest is just denial.

Edited by shurlock

Not sure anyone really would be despondent about the future. It's just strange that on SWF, posters can't show any disappointment in losing good managers, players or staff (perfectly normal reaction for any supporter) nor can there be any suggestion that SFC is anything but perfect without it being labelled a "meltdown" or whatever. The reality is that change (especially enforced) in quick succession is risky and even the club have said that they intend to have a different summer than the previous two which clearly doesn't involve having our manager poached by a team which shouldn't even be bothering us.

It's also odd that any success on this forum is very quickly dismissed as being entirely coincidental with the people running the club.

We've already had "Les got lucky last summer" as we did a year ago, and if we do have a poor season next season there will be plenty of people writing off two entire seasons to present the club "in decline since Cortese left".

You yesterday have decided we aren't punching above our weight after all and 6th is just par for our course, so turns out we have been ambitious all along despite people moaning about our net spend and bottom four wage bill. So that's all right then.

You think it odd that people can't express disappointment. I see it as really weird the countless comments about how terrible the club is being run and how lucky the management are despite one of the most sustained periods of success in our entire history.

Just thinking how funny it would be if he signed a new Saints contract later today.

Even if he does, I still think he'll be off next summer. We're only interested in not having a lame-duck manager as an excuse for players to underperform, if he signed a new deal it would have the specifics of his release clause in it.

Moving to Everton doesn't enhance his CV unless he's successful there because of what he's already done here, and nothing short of getting them to the latter stages of the CL would be that impressive.

He's already in with a shout of the Barcelona job because of his playing career, which basically puts him in theoretical contention for every other job in football except Real Madrid manager.

Flipside I guess is that knowing that, he can do pretty much what he wants until they decide they want him and he might just want as much money as possible in the meantime, but that seems unlikely given his insistence on mentioning seeing out his contract even when he hasn't been directly asked about it.

'Flame suit on' .. im not overly worried if he goes for me the biggest hurdle is to replace him with someone of good respect on european/world football which is a massive help when attracting better players, for me in an ideal world Emery then he can persuade gameiro to replace pele, krychowiac for the hole left by morgan and there right back cant think of his name at mo,

In an ideal world perhaps, but not a chance. After winning three successive Europa Leagues you don't come to a mid-table premier league club for the pay cheque. You go to a big-but-not-Barca/Real/Man U/Bayern CL club for the pay cheque!

Betfair not one of them (and I can't believe I wasted 5 minutes I aint getting back just checking!)

I held off laying Koeman for next Everton manager at 1.79 yesterday, didn't think the odds justified the risk and didn't think it was worth doing smaller amounts.

I held off laying Koeman for next Everton manager at 1.79 yesterday, didn't think the odds justified the risk and didn't think it was worth doing smaller amounts.

Unfortunately I did. Balls. Not for a huge amount though thankfully. I bet on Koemans honour... ******.

Big call for Saints. If we want to start paying our manager around £6,000,000 a year rather than about £3,000,000 a year, he stays.

If you want to go for the former, then please don't complain about how expensive season tickets are (and condemn the freeze this year) or your Sky Sports package costs you.

With a 30% hike on tickets, we could meet Ronald's salary request.

Speaking like a true modern football fan. Tw*t

This...

The money stakes have gone up significantly this year and we need to recognise this sooner or later. We're not going to be getting anyone decent in that cheaply as everyone knows how much money is swilling around so we will end up paying top dollar one way or the other. There is no way we will maintain 6th or go higher without buying in the necessary talent, so if the club isn't willing then Ron's decision is an easy one - Everton must have a plan that allows him to build a squad that can mount a sustained challenge which is what any ambitious and talented manager would want. Constant change isn't a good thing in any organisation and seems as though we're banking on a 3rd successive "surprise" season following a busy summer of ins/outs.

Just saying, but happens if we refuse to take any sort of compensation? Can we do that?

We could theoretically refuse to let him leave as he has a binding contract, but all that happens then is in reality he's not going to do the job properly he's being paid to do, we'll be getting someone else to do it in practice and in more difficult circumstances than need be without being able to officially appoint a replacement, and logically he is then in breach of his contract and we would probably end up sacking him shortly after anyway, which helps no-one.

It's also odd that any success on this forum is very quickly dismissed as being entirely coincidental with the people running the club.

We've already had "Les got lucky last summer" as we did a year ago, and if we do have a poor season next season there will be plenty of people writing off two entire seasons to present the club "in decline since Cortese left".

You yesterday have decided we aren't punching above our weight after all and 6th is just par for our course, so turns out we have been ambitious all along despite people moaning about our net spend and bottom four wage bill. So that's all right then.

You think it odd that people can't express disappointment. I see it as really weird the countless comments about how terrible the club is being run and how lucky the management are despite one of the most sustained periods of success in our entire history.

I've never said that we're terribly run, the opposite in fact. I do think that the club and fan base get a bit carried away with our own hype at times despite some of the obvious contradictions between statement and action.

I never said that 6th was just "par of the course" either, the point was that we've been 8th-6th for the past 3 seasons with players worth 20+M trotting out onto the pitch each week. The total sum of how we arrived at this point is complex but if we want to consolidate our place in the league or even do better (as per Uncle Les) then we have to see ourselves as being where we deserve to be. Otherwise it's just an acceptance of and excuse for doing worse. I see keeping good managers and players at the club as being a key component in sustaining success in the long term and don't completely buy into a model which suggests that we really are experts in managing change whilst keeping momentum. Not over a sample period of two years at this level.

I wouldn't suggest that there has been a decline since Cortese left. He's gone and irrelevant now. If others do, that's up to them.

Edited by Dig Dig

We could theoretically refuse to let him leave as he has a binding contract, but all that happens then is in reality he's not going to do the job properly he's being paid to do, we'll be getting someone else to do it in practice and in more difficult circumstances than need be without being able to officially appoint a replacement, and logically he is then in breach of his contract and we would probably end up sacking him shortly after anyway, which helps no-one.

We should not let him sign for them until a new manager appointment for us is imminent!

We should not let him sign for them until a new manager appointment for us is imminent!

agreed here... as soon as Adkins left, Poch was announced within hours... hoping Les has something up his sleeves...

If [Koeman] goes the players wont be bothered

Things i will post about if Koeman leaves...

How liked he is outside of the southampton management.

The reason for our slump before xmas.

RK leaving will allow the club to progress even further.

his own signings aren't even happy with [Koeman]. More to this than what has been let on.

Hello LG sir.... is there any reason why you can't elaborate on any of these ITK 'teasers' now? Appreciate the insights but its difficult to reflect on what you're saying if there's little or no context to go on. Cheers :)

Where are people getting the idea that he's already rich enough that money doesn't mean anything to him? I'm sure he's got a couple of million in the bank, which makes him approximately as wealthy has half the right-to-buy lottery winners who acquired houses in zones 1&2 during the late 80s... There's a long way to go between there and genuine f*** you money.

6 years at Barcelona as a player would have been good money in the late 80s/early 90s (Lineker, Hughes, Archibald, Venables etc all went there in the 80s, I suspect not just for the weather) but he'd have missed the later boom. However, he's been managing or assistant managing at big-name European clubs (plus Vitesse, AZ and Saints) for 17 years with only maybe 2 years out. He's going to be very comfortable indeed, independent of any discussion of the success of his investments, property he could pay for outright, etc.

Jeremy Wilson has broken cover.

Saints have an offer on the table to Koeman and have had no approach from Everton yet.

If he talks to Everton they won't get drawn into a bidding war, they'll seek compensation and move on.

Our leading candidate is Eddie Howe.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2016/06/03/southampton-manager-ronald-koeman-to-hold-talks-with-everton-abo/

Hello LG sir.... is there any reason why you can't elaborate on any of these ITK 'teasers' now? Appreciate the insights but its difficult to reflect on what you're saying if there's little or no context to go on. Cheers :)

Because of RK stays all these potential tidbits will be shown up as the ******** they likely are? Is my guess.

So IF Koeman goes whose to blame???

Les, using allsorts of abusive words to describe him

Or

Koemans, using all sorts of abusive words to describe him along with he wasnt all that anyway etc

;)

Does anyone have to be blamed?

So IF Koeman goes whose to blame???

Les, using allsorts of abusive words to describe him

Or

Koemans, using all sorts of abusive words to describe him along with he wasnt all that anyway etc

;)

I'd blame Everton, personally. But even then you can't really blame them for wanting a decent manager.

I'm very intrigued by developments today.

I still find it hard to believe that RK won't see out his final year with us as he has repeatedly said that he would. But nothing surprises me in football any more and it may well be that he is going to go.

Pretty surprised at some of the posters on here having a meltdown over a man that dares to question the offer on the table from saints.

For a start there is no concrete evidence that he is talking to Everton yet, only that Everton are using the press to force an agenda through.

I honestly wouldnt wish him any ill will if he moves on, similar to that of Poch, in fact Id wish him all the best. He is a man looking to improve his career and his bank balance, like any of us would. And the simple matter of fact is that if Saints cant offer him what all in all would be the best offer (salary and ambition) then why wouldnt he jump ship ?

A failure to keep Koeman is as much Saints doings as it will be Everton's prying IMO. I just dont think personally, after Poch, we can afford to lose another outstanding coach. Its only a matter of time that we make a wrong appointment.[/QUOTE]

Only if the club can afford to keep him, given the intentions of the owner and the available revenue projections. You can't criticise Saints FC for (a) not being fortunate (or unfortunate) enough to have an investor who wants to spend £100s millions and (b) not leaving beyond its means. We just have to accept that some clubs have greater financial clout than us and stopping blaming the board for having the wits to realise this.