New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Sevilla have released a statement confirming than Unai Emery is set to leave and that they're in talks with Jorge Sampaoli over the job there.

Guillem Balague ‏@GuillemBalague

Sampaoli, next Sevilla manager and Emery leaves (to PSG). Logical decision by Sevilla and great step for Unai -who dreams of PL move

^ Maybe he should've waited a while longer! Will be interested to see how they both do.

Inevitable question, and not one people on here are likely to know the answer to, but wonder if any of the characters featuring on here over the last few pages speak English.

De Boer does I think, but as for the others (Paco, Vitor Perriera, Silva, Schmidt) its a bit of an unknown. No doubt Poch's old mate might be able to help out, although at the time it was said MP could communicate in English on the training ground reasonably well but not for interviews.

Inevitable question, and not one people on here are likely to know the answer to, but wonder if any of the characters featuring on here over the last few pages speak English.

De Boer does I think, but as for the others (Paco, Vitor Perriera, Silva, Schmidt) its a bit of an unknown. No doubt Poch's old mate might be able to help out, although at the time it was said MP could communicate in English on the training ground reasonably well but not for interviews.

Not so much of an issue now as it was in Poch's time as most of our current team now speak Dutch, Pourtogese Italian Spanish and French

Not so much of an issue now as it was in Poch's time as most of our current team now speak Dutch, Pourtogese Italian Spanish and French

A common feature though is that will all speak English to some degree. I don't suppose Paco/Silva/ Schmidt will speak Dutch /French as well as English if they do speak it at all.

We are in danger of getting a reputation as whingers if we start hating everyone who leaves and it also puts a dampener on our past achievements.

Completely agree, it makes us look small time when actually, the whole club's football structure is about moving forward regardless. By the words of the ITK comments today, we'd be moving onwards anyway with or without Ronald. He's been important for us but not as important as the next appointment will be. I don't hate, or will never hate him as he's been part of getting us back in Europe and becoming among the new European elite.

I wonder if there are any Everton fans sweating now Ron hasn't been announced? lol I would lmfao if after all this we managed to find a deal with Koeman and he stayed. There would be so many red faces.

i would love it it that was the case :)

Pretty sure someone linked an article from a couple of years ago which described Pereira as a fluent English speaker

A week ago I would have agreed, but not sure how this would now happen without a massive climb down by RK. Of course neither he nor Saints have said anything publicly.

If you read the link above to the Sotonians post it reads that this has gone beyond making up between the parties. Whether that can be believed of course is open to discussion.

I did mean red faces on here as well as in the Everton supporters camp BTW. Thing is, relations between Manager and Saints have been pretty good it seems - even Poch has been greeted back at KD's testimonial with open arms - all very friendly. In the same vein, Koeman has probably been very open with Les and Co about the Everton approach, with everything still open until all the ducks are lined up and that could still see him staying even if the likelihood is that he does leave. Just no point in getting all worked up over the whole damned thing - whoever we end up with, we'll be OK (caveat - unless we appoint Moyes).

Apparently Pereira had a poor season with Fenerbache this year. Despite having the biggest budget and best team they were still unable to win the league or the cup. Fans don't seem to rate him highly either so not sure if he would be as great as some are suggesting.

Apparently Pereira had a poor season with Fenerbache this year. Despite having the biggest budget and best team they were still unable to win the league or the cup. Fans don't seem to rate him highly either so not sure if he would be as great as some are suggesting.

I've read that he has an average win ratio of 70%, surely he can't be that bad?

I've read that he has an average win ratio of 70%, surely he can't be that bad?

Obviously not that bad. But you need to take into context the leagues and the relative power of the clubs when looking at win percentages.

Half of Porto's games they are about 1/5 to win. Probably similar with Fenerbache.

I think Saints would look at more than results anyway but the Portguese and Turkish leagues contain some whipping boys with miles smaller budgets than the big sides.

Obviously not that bad. But you need to take into context the leagues and the relative power of the clubs when looking at win percentages.

Half of Porto's games they are about 1/5 to win. Probably similar with Fenerbache.

I think Saints would look at more than results anyway but the Portguese and Turkish leagues contain some whipping boys with miles smaller budgets than the big sides.

Yes, but didn't MP nearly get Espanyol relegated too?

I know many will disagree but I really don't get all the excitement about Emery. Pretty unexciting record bar the cup wins, his only job outside Spain ended in a 5-1 defeat and getting sacked, and Seville didn't win a single away game last season...

I know many will disagree but I really don't get all the excitement about Emery. Pretty unexciting record bar the cup wins, his only job outside Spain ended in a 5-1 defeat and getting sacked, and Seville didn't win a single away game last season...

3 Europa League wins IN A ROW. That is incredible, you can't deny it.

Plus, yep he didn't win away all season but they still finished 6/7th- suggesting their home form was pretty good.

I would take a 6th place finish next year with no away wins next year, if that ever happened to us lol

Talked to a few people I know and asked a few questions of some journo mates.

Bear in mind that nobody - apart from the parties involved - really knows what has happened, but they have leaned on their various sources to glean what info they can.

While they would stand by the reliability of their sources, even my mates admit that on this one, the real reasons for Koeman's departure might never really come out, although to all intents and purposes, it is nothing more than the money.

Despite all the conspiracy theories, they have no reason to think Koeman's move won't go ahead.

Most were agreed that if Koeman still hasn't been unveiled by Tuesday afternoon, they might smell a rat or two, but other than that, most sources at Saints confirm the deal has been done.

Saints were caught on the hop by Koeman's change of heart. As of the Thursday, they had no reason to suggest Koeman would not sign the new contract put in front of him.

They had largely dismissed the rumours of interest from Everton because there had been no approach from the club, but then approaches from clubs for permission to talk to managers/players is usually just a formality and means the pourparlers have already been completed.

Saints began to get concerned when they realised Koeman had changed agent and they could not contact him and his new agent wasn't initially picking up the phone (not until it suited him in any event).

The first contact they had with Jansen (Koeman's new agent) was when he told them the size of Everton's offer, and by implication invited Saints to better it. Saints were in no mood to do so, having offered Koeman £4m a year (yes, £4m a year).

At that point, Saints realised the game was up, and - rightly in most people's view - decided they were not going to get into a bidding war from which the big winner to emerge would be the agent.

As previously said above, all other negotiations on the other issues had gone well and Koeman had given no indication that when he came back from his hols he would not be signing, so it's clear it was the money, and nothing else, that turned his head.

Now here's the rub.

Koeman's success has made it tricky when it comes to finding a replacement.

It's a bit like asking a band to follow Coldplay at Glastonbury.

Managers have looked at next season's Premier League, and feel that with Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Liverpool all likely to be stronger they are not likely to improve - or more importantly - maintain Saints position.

De Boer's agent has indicated his man does not want it because he doesn't want to follow his fellow Dutchman and risk not being as successful as him and although Howe hasn't been approached, he would turn it down for the same reason - not because he has a special affinity with Bournemouth, but simply that anything other than another sixth-place finish will mark him out as a failure, especially among a section of Saints fans.

And this is the dilemma that Saints find themselves in. The sort of managers they would want to recruit are those that have had a measure of success and would use Saints continued success as a springboard to bigger things.

But they are reluctant to come for fear that anything less than sixth place will brand them as a failure, if not necessarily in the eyes of Saints realistic fans, then in the eyes of football at large.

I asked people about the alternative view that now that Chelsea, United and City have filled their managerial vacancies, Saints is the most attractive PL job, with the carrot of European football, a good squad and a well-run club with a good infrastructure.

Apparently that doesn't float the boat of those that Saints might want. The likes of Emery, de Boer and AVB don't need the job, which they view as too risky for their reputation.

So it might be that Saints will end up appointing somebody who is out of work and desperately needs the job. That might not be a bad thing as he's likely to be hungry to prove himself, and that's the sort of background from which we found Poch.

Saints will cast their net very wide and you can bet it's already travelled along the agents' grapevine that Saints were ready to offer Koeman £4m a year.

That means they will be able to recruit a very good candidate, but it might not be at the sort of level Saints fans might want and expect.

As was pointed out we are in this situation because we have been successful. Everton didn't chase Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis or Alan Curbishley.

I'm not claiming to be ITK in any of this. I get info from journos and other sources I have and i realise the fact that a lot of this does come from journos will make it suspect in some people's eyes. It's wrong to dismiss such info because most journos are very well informed and suffer the frustration of journalism that you invariably know more than you can publish.

I've put it up as another viewpoint for discussion and while I trust the people who gave me the info, they themselves admit the nature and convoluted circumstances of this whole byzantine episode mean a lot of it will be clouded in mystery for some time. There is another person I need to speak to who will give me another perspective, but that might not happen for a while.

Koeman's legacy to Saints might well be that they are victims of his success.

Bear in mind that nobody - apart from the parties involved - really knows what has happened, but they have leaned on their various sources to glean what info they can.

While they would stand by the reliability of their sources, even my mates admit that on this one, the real reasons for Koeman's departure might never really come out, although to all intents and purposes, it is nothing more than the money.

Despite all the conspiracy theories, they have no reason to think Koeman's move won't go ahead.

Most were agreed that if Koeman still hasn't been unveiled by Tuesday afternoon, they might smell a rat or two, but other than that, most sources at Saints confirm the deal has been done.

Saints were caught on the hop by Koeman's change of heart. As of the Thursday, they had no reason to suggest Koeman would not sign the new contract put in front of him.

They had largely dismissed the rumours of interest from Everton because there had been no approach from the club, but then approaches from clubs for permission to talk to managers/players is usually just a formality and means the pourparlers have already been completed.

Saints began to get concerned when they realised Koeman had changed agent and they could not contact him and his new agent wasn't initially picking up the phone (not until it suited him in any event).

The first contact they had with Jansen (Koeman's new agent) was when he told them the size of Everton's offer, and by implication invited Saints to better it. Saints were in no mood to do so, having offered Koeman £4m a year (yes, £4m a year).

At that point, Saints realised the game was up, and - rightly in most people's view - decided they were not going to get into a bidding war from which the big winner to emerge would be the agent.

As previously said above, all other negotiations on the other issues had gone well and Koeman had given no indication that when he came back from his hols he would not be signing, so it's clear it was the money, and nothing else, that turned his head.

Now here's the rub.

Managers have looked at next season's Premier League, and feel that with Chelsea, Man City, Man United and Liverpool all likely to be stronger they are not likely to improve - or more importantly - maintain Saints position.

De Boer's agent has indicated his man does not want it because he doesn't want to follow his fellow Dutchman and risk not being as successful as him and although Howe hasn't been approached, he would turn it down for the same reason - not because he has a special affinity with Bournemouth, but simply that anything other than another sixth-place finish will mark him out as a failure, especially among a section of Saints fans.

And this is the dilemma that Saints find themselves in. The sort of managers they would want to recruit are those that have had a measure of success and would use Saints continued success as a springboard to bigger things.

But they are reluctant to come for fear that anything less than sixth place will brand them as a failure, if not necessarily in the eyes of Saints realistic fans, then in the eyes of football at large.

I asked people about the alternative view that now that Chelsea, United and City have filled their managerial vacancies, Saints is the most attractive PL job, with the carrot of European football, a good squad and a well-run club with a good infrastructure.

Apparently that doesn't float the boat of those that Saints might want. The likes of Emery, de Boer and AVB don't need the job, which they view as too risky for their reputation.

So it might be that Saints will end up appointing somebody who is out of work and desperately needs the job. That might not be a bad thing as he's likely to be hungry to prove himself, and that's the sort of background from which we found Poch.

Saints will cast their net very wide and you can bet it's already travelled along the agents' grapevine that Saints were ready to offer Koeman £4m a year.

That means they will be able to recruit a very good candidate, but it might not be at the sort of level Saints fans might want and expect.

As was pointed out we are in this situation because we have been successful. Everton didn't chase Mark Hughes, Tony Pulis or Alan Curbishley.

I'm not claiming to be ITK in any of this. I get info from journos and other sources I have and i realise the fact that a lot of this does come from journos will make it suspect in some people's eyes. It's wrong to dismiss such info because most journos are very well informed and suffer the frustration of journalism that you invariably know more than you can publish.

I've put it up as another viewpoint for discussion and while I trust the people who gave me the info, they themselves admit the nature and convoluted circumstances of this whole byzantine episode mean a lot of it will be clouded in mystery for some time. There is another person I need to speak to who will give me another perspective, but that might not happen for a while.

more like it than sending him on gardening leave and that he does not really want to go to Everton on that wage

Edited by Batman

So our usual ITKs tell us AVB/FDB are towards bottom of shortlist, and you say that both have basically rejected us because of the fear of failure/not maintaining sixth...

okay then.

maintaining 6th will not happen next season. let alone better it.

Now here's the rub.

I reckon it'll be Paco Jemez. His team have been relegated so very likely to move on and he certainly likes a challenge playing that kind of football with the smallest budget in the league

Now here's the rub.

Good post. Would make sense.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

who? Good god

He's been mention on here already.. Good manager, plays very exciting football. I've watched Spanish football so I've seen his team a fair few times the last 3-4 years. You know google? Use that and you can find out who he is.

He's been mention on here already.. Good manager, plays very exciting football. I've watched Spanish football so I've seen his team a fair few times the last 3-4 years. You know google? Use that and you can find out who he is.

just been relegated. no thanks

maintaining 6th will not happen next season. let alone better it.

That's a rather ignorant statement..we have a squad full of internationals, and with a couple of additions will challenge the top four again. Koeman is no magician.. He did no more than what was expected with our squad.

just been relegated. no thanks

Probably thought that when Pochettino left his team rock bottom of La Liga.

Luckily our board will look at his style and success over his whole career not just the last few months or so. (They had the smallest budget in the league by a long way and only just got relegated, staying up with a tiny budget for 3 seasons before that)

Probably thought that when Pochettino left his team rock bottom of La Liga.

Luckily our board will look at his style and success over his whole career not just the last few months or so. (They had the smallest budget in the league by a long way and only just got relegated, staying up with a tiny budget for 3 seasons before that)

I would hope we were in a better place than go for someone like that

but then, if De Boer, Howe and AvB don't want to come here.....

If Koeman decided to stay and accept the £4m it's possible he could end up with a legal problem with his previous agent who negotiated it with the club, so would require his fee.

He's not going to decide to stay, way too long down the line. Just want it done and confirmed so we (and everyone) can move on.

I would hope we were in a better place than go for someone like that

but then, if De Boer, Howe and AvB don't want to come here.....

Who is the better manager, Pochettino or those 3?

I really like the way saints have employed managers since this take over and really hope they continue with the superb appointments. Paco Jemez could well be a better choice than all of them, AVB has already failed here. Quite frankly if the manager is "too scared" of his reputation going downhill then I don't want them here as they obviously aren't too confident in their own coaching ability. Would Pochettino be scared to come here if we were in this position now and he was out of work? I don't think so as he is confident in his coaching ability/philosophy that he will succeed

Edited by Saint IQ