New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Oh. I don't think that would be a step in the right direction. For FFS sake.

He says the last two Managers (presumably their exits) show we should get a British Manager apparently because they are likely to stay longer* - assuming wildly that British people are just inherently more loyal!

Utterly bizarre. If anything the last two Managers show we should get more of the same. Much better to have a Manager poached by a bigger/richer club after 2 good years than sacked after 3 years for being ****e.

*they are just less successful

Edited by Saint Charlie

He says the last two Managers (presumably their exits) show we should get a British Manager apparently because they are likely to stay longer* - assuming wildly that British people are just inherently more loyal!

Utterly bizarre. If anything the last two Managers show we should get more of the same. Much better to have a Manager poached by a bigger/club after 2 years than sacked after 3 years for being ****e.

That widely renowned loyal manager Steve Bruce. FFS.

http://www.espnfc.com/united-states/story/2888187/united-states-results-under-jurgen-klinsmann-now-what-we-hoped-for-says-sunil-gulati

Looks like the USA are preparing to part company with Jurgen Klinsmann. Can I be first to nominate him as the mystery man.?

Mystery man being a national manager is a pretty good shout generally they do not like to declare interest in a job when still employed at national level

National team Managers are usually there because either:

1. They don't want to be a Club Manager

2. They are at the end of their career

3. They have had mediocre club management careers and Intl Management is an easier gig to get a big well paid job (see Hodgson)

Would be amazed if we were looking at an Intl manager - its basically a different job - and far from a training ground coaching, player improvement job too which is what we are looking for.

Lawrie Mac bumbling on about getting an English Manager like Steve Bruce. Jeez.

Don't knock Steve Bruce. He might not get us into fourth place, but he is unlikely to get us relegated. Isn't that our main aim any more?

Utterly bizarre. If anything the last two Managers show we should get more of the same. Much better to have a Manager poached by a bigger/richer club after 2 good years than sacked after 3 years for being ****e.

Before Adkins the last British managers we employed were:

Pardew - sacked, but something behind the scenes was not right. One rumour went he went to newcastle was that he & Ashley had hatched the possibility of him going there in pre-season (whilst still on our payroll).

Burley - hic !! turned out to be crap

'arry - say no more about British managers being more loyal.

Adkins - perhaps woulsd have remained loyal, but not given the chance of course.

I'd like to agree with Lawrie and would prefer an English manager, but are there any real contenders with suitable experience ? Howe has one year in the top division, Rowell no top flight experience. No surprise we cast the net wider is it ?

Lawrie Mac called Poch 'a young lad no one's heard of, who can't speak English' when he was appointed. LM is out of touch, out of date and bumbles on, sad really. I like to remember him in his prime, high ego but highly effective. Not now.

Lawrie Mac called Poch 'a young lad no one's heard of, who can't speak English' when he was appointed. LM is out of touch, out of date and bumbles on, sad really. I like to remember him in his prime, high ego but highly effective. Not now.

Same sentiment as about 99% of posters on here as well at the time though.

You didn't read my post in the context it was written. It was replying to two posters who said Paco Jemez & Rayo Vallecano had a "good season" in 2015/16. They didn't, they were relegated... that was the point I was making. I wasn't ruling the manager out, I just fail to see how it was a good season.

Anyway... going back to the previously discussed Roger Schmidt of Bayer Leverkusen, this is quite an interesting analysis of his style of play...

Interesting video. Cheers.

Before Adkins the last British managers we employed were:

Pardew - sacked, but something behind the scenes was not right. One rumour went he went to newcastle was that he & Ashley had hatched the possibility of him going there in pre-season (whilst still on our payroll).

Burley - hic !! turned out to be crap

'arry - say no more about British managers being more loyal.

Adkins - perhaps woulsd have remained loyal, but not given the chance of course.

I'd like to agree with Lawrie and would prefer an English manager, but are there any real contenders with suitable experience ? Howe has one year in the top division, Rowell no top flight experience. No surprise we cast the net wider is it ?

Alan Ball, English and former player - left at a drop of a hat when City (pre-oil fortunes) came calling.

Ok, not a single piece of that article states any of that. Well done for re-writing it though.

That's exactly what it does say, Howe content to stay at Bournemouth while the Russian keeps bankrolling them. He knows thats not going to happen here.

Anyone else getting really f*cking bored of all this bullsh*t now?

Yep, was bored of it a week ago.

A name over here that I think possibly could be alright. Eusebio Di Francesco. The past two seasons he has done very well with Sassuolo, finishing 6th this year. They are a very hard team to beat. Have the 4th best defence in Italy. That is pretty good for such a small club.

That doesn't have any bearing on the decision of a manager of any nationality 20 years later.

Besides, Alan Ball said he'd been surprised saints allowed man city to talk to him and hadn't wanted to leave. I would imagine we paid very badly in those days too.

Eh? I would say its even more relevant pal. At least back then wage and spending differentials between sides were narrower - in principle, making it harder to turn someone's head. MLT basically admitted that was a big reason he stayed with us. Spurs offered to pay him more; but not that much more than than he earned with us. Notwithstanding this we still saw the likes of Ball leave. If it happened then, its even more likely to happen now.

Nigel Adkins walked out on Scu nthorpe to come to us, or does that not count?

Yes he did though I seem to recall him almost walked away from us when he thought scunny weren't going to be properly compensated. Like I've said I understand players/managers leaving us just wish they'd do it with a bit respect and class.

Nigel Adkins walked out on Scu nthorpe to come to us, or does that not count?

Not even sure why I'm bothering but...

Adkins was ready for a bigger job and wouldn't leave until he knew S****horpe were getting a fair deal. He also hadn't pledged his future to them, hadn't gone on about people leaving for money and had not verbally agreed a new contract before leaving for more money.

Managers usually leave for 1 of 2 reasons: either they move to a more lucrative and prestigious job because they have been successful or they get sacked because they have failed. Mostly they get sacked. The average tenancy of a Premier League manager is just over 1 year.

Not even sure why I'm bothering but...

Adkins was ready for a bigger job and wouldn't leave until he knew S****horpe were getting a fair deal. He also hadn't pledged his future to them, hadn't gone on about people leaving for money and had not verbally agreed a new contract before leaving for more money.

I wasn't comparing Koeman with Adkins but your post was jolly fascinating. Thanks.

Lawrie Mac bumbling on about getting an English Manager like Steve Bruce. Jeez.

Does anyone really care who LM (my spiritual home is with the real football supporters of Sunderland) thinks we should appoint as our next manager? Thanks for the FA cup and all that but please retire with some dignity whilst you still can.

Not that Bruce is a bad option, if allegedly no one wants to be the next Saints manager! Confident we can do better - keep the faith!

That doesn't have any bearing on the decision of a manager of any nationality 20 years later.

Besides, Alan Ball said he'd been surprised saints allowed man city to talk to him and hadn't wanted to leave. I would imagine we paid very badly in those days too.

Ballsy had a lot of bookmakers to feed too

Does anyone really care who LM (my spiritual home is with the real football supporters of Sunderland) thinks we should appoint as our next manager? Thanks for the FA cup and all that but please retire with some dignity whilst you still can.

He is retired, hes nearly 80 ffs.

Hes entitled to an opinion just like you or me, only difference is the local media ask him and they print his reply !

Eh? I would say its even more relevant pal. At least back then wage and spending differentials between sides were narrower - in principle, making it harder to turn someone's head. MLT basically admitted that was a big reason he stayed with us. Spurs offered to pay him more; but not that much more than than he earned with us. Notwithstanding this we still saw the likes of Ball leave. If it happened then, its even more likely to happen now.

MLT was a bit of a one off. His family were already pretty wealthy, so in his own words he played for the love of the game. Plus he didn't want to move away from the airport, regular trips back to Guernsey were a doddle from here. Blackburn would have paid him far more than spurs the year they bought the title, and offered him a daily helicopter to and from Ewood, but he still turned them down. It's hard to see that set of circumstances reoccurring these days.

MLT was a bit of a one off. His family were already pretty wealthy, so in his own words he played for the love of the game. Plus he didn't want to move away from the airport, regular trips back to Guernsey were a doddle from here. Blackburn would have paid him far more than spurs the year they bought the title, and offered him a daily helicopter to and from Ewood, but he still turned them down. It's hard to see that set of circumstances reoccurring these days.

People often say that but its simply not true. Lots of people turn down more money because the new job would lower their quality of life not increase it. As MLT himself once said "why would I leave. Ive got a 4 bed detached house, two cars and if I retire at 30 I'll never have to work again" - and that was before the PL mega wages. Does anyone really think £150,000pw is going to buy you more happiness than £70,000pw? Sure some players are greedy and some have a philanthropic bent / big extended family to support but many will just say nah im okay,thanks. I like my house / children's school and friends / not having to relocate every two years etc.

PELLEGRINI HIT THE MILAN JACKPOT?

Manuel Pellegrini will earn £4.7million-a-year if deciding to take over at AC Milan, according to the Daily Mirror.

The Italian giants are being sold by long-time owner Silvio Berlusconi to a Chinese consortium this summer and they want a big-name to lead the club forward.

The former Manchester City boss will be tasked with improving results at Milan, who finished only eighth in Serie A last season.

People often say that but its simply not true. Lots of people turn down more money because the new job would lower their quality of life not increase it. As MLT himself once said "why would I leave. Ive got a 4 bed detached house, two cars and if I retire at 30 I'll never have to work again" - and that was before the PL mega wages. Does anyone really think £150,000pw is going to buy you more happiness than £70,000pw? Sure some players are greedy and some have a philanthropic bent / big extended family to support but many will just say nah im okay,thanks. I like my house / children's school and friends / not having to relocate every two years etc.

Seem to recall our manager last season saying it's not all about the money. Whilst some players may see an opportunity for a big pay day, they need to respect th contract they sgned (or words to that effect)

Footballers and Managers are loyal to football. They see the game as one big Company with different offices some of which pay more than others and they may enjoy there work at one office but if a better opportunity arises they take it. You only have to look at the England team to see Man U, City and Liverpool players getting along perfectly well where as if it was fans you would need security guards to keep them apart. If some one leaves your office who has done well you may be bitterly disappointed but you thank them for there service, buy them a drink and wish them well for the future. It might be slightly different if they'd told you previously they intended to stay. We are in danger of getting a reputation as whingers if we start hating everyone who leaves and it also puts a dampener on our past achievements. There is a book coming out about our greatest matches . Should the editors blank out the bits about Adam Lallana like Jimmy Saville in a Top of The Pops video?

So thanks for the last 2 years Ron and good luck for the future.You should have told me you were leaving but I won't rant and rave if you come back to visit us but the reception might be a bit frosty and silent. I'm sure that would hurt your ego more. We March on

PELLEGRINI HIT THE MILAN JACKPOT?

Manuel Pellegrini will earn £4.7million-a-year if deciding to take over at AC Milan, according to the Daily Mirror.

The Italian giants are being sold by long-time owner Silvio Berlusconi to a Chinese consortium this summer and they want a big-name to lead the club forward.

The former Manchester City boss will be tasked with improving results at Milan, who finished only eighth in Serie A last season.

still a lot less than Everton are prepared to throw at Koeman ....

True, but I can't think of anyone else who stayed at the club through thick and thin despite offers of massively higher wages elsewhere. And had to be managed by ian branfoot.

I wonder if there are any Everton fans sweating now Ron hasn't been announced? lol I would lmfao if after all this we managed to find a deal with Koeman and he stayed. There would be so many red faces.

A week ago I would have agreed, but not sure how this would now happen without a massive climb down by RK. Of course neither he nor Saints have said anything publicly.

If you read the link above to the Sotonians post it reads that this has gone beyond making up between the parties. Whether that can be believed of course is open to discussion.

A week ago I would have agreed, but not sure how this would now happen without a massive climb down by RK. Of course neither he nor Saints have said anything publicly.

If you read the link above to the Sotonians post it reads that this has gone beyond making up between the parties. Whether that can be believed of course is open to discussion.

Publicly it would be very easy for Ronald to stay as none of Saints, Ron or Everton have said anything official on the matter so far. So Les could just say:

"As per the video, the detail has now been agreed and Ron has signed for another couple of years. No delays or issues, we always knew that Ron was on holiday so that's all good."

Everton wouldn't say anything as they'd look like right mugs and they'd just move onto their next target. Job done. Nothing to see here. People on here would know (or believe) differently but people would still get behind him as there really is nothing concrete to say anyone has done anything untoward.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Publicly it would be very easy for Ronald to stay as none of Saints, Ron or Everton have said anything official on the matter so far. So Les could just say:

"As per the video, the detail has now been agreed and Ron has signed for another couple of years. No delays or issues, we always knew that Ron was on holiday so that's all good."

Everton wouldn't say anything as they'd look like right mugs and they'd just move onto their next target. Job done. Nothing to see here. People on here would know (or believe) differently but people would still get behind him as there really is nothing concrete to say anyone has done anything untoward.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I think all he need do is sack his new agent and reappoint the old one.

Now that we have had a solid defence in place for the last 2 years I think Paco Jemez would be a very exciting appointment, Will be entertaining to watch us with him at the helm for sure.

a video of him crying after Rayo Relegation. He clearly cares!

Now that we have had a solid defence in place for the last 2 years I think Paco Jemez would be a very exciting appointment, Will be entertaining to watch us with him at the helm for sure.

Wonder if this is the guy that K Billy said had not been mentioned ?

Interesting [3 years old] article on him here: http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12087/8448340/guillem-balague-on-rayo-vallecanos-extraordinary-form

One of the most pleasant surprises of the La Liga season thus far has been the excellent performances and results of unfancied Rayo Vallecano, who have won four of their last five games to move up to sixth place.

I was at Madrid and I met Rayo coach Paco Jemez. It's a little miracle what Rayo are achieving because they've got the smallest budget in the whole of the Primera Liga.

Seven million euros covers the whole squad - including wages and signings. Despite their relative poverty, they're doing so well in the league this season - and doing it in a way that you don't often associate with small teams.

They pressure high with lots of intensity in everything they do, play a high line, combine when they have the ball while maintaining an option of playing a more direct way and have improved on the pressure side of things. They recover balls early and this allows them to damage the opposition.

Real Betis are of a similar quality even though they have more money, and Rayo beat them 3-0. How they play is very similar to Barcelona... except it's Rayo Vallecano!

The first thing that Jemez had to do when he took control of the club last year was convinced the players that this was the best way to play. He managed this because players love this kind of football - keeping the ball and being protagonist on the pitch.

Jemez is someone you need to keep an eye on. He's very thorough in his work and clear in his ways. He wants to do it that way not because it's attractive to watch, but because you win more games.

If you talk to people who knew Jemez as a player, he was a tough centre-back so it's been an interesting change for him.